Rating  4
Acolyte
post Nov 1st 2007, 10:19 AM
Post #73

Civilian
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,829

actually I do agree with jrv. in every point he made here. except for picking on others, cuz he's from Romania. and bitching about what's a spoiler. if others regard it as a spoiler, than say sorry, and put a spoiler tag there next time.

I loved this series. after I got very bored of SG-1 (around S8), Atlantis was a great refreshment. new and clear. apart from some boring patterns, it was fresh and good. now I'm really really sad, that after canceling sg-1 all its bad qualities seem to have come to sga.

the show is getting dull, although i'm judging after only 5 eps. still. these last three eps have been a real disappointment to me.

I wouldn't say foreshadowing, more like really really annoying predictability. for instance, I'd have so much liked them (atlantians) to keep the ship, but I damn well knew they wouldn't. They (almost) never get to keep cool new stuff, that would really strengthen them. Every advanced ship they get, gets exploded or something like that. goauld motherships, aurora class ancient ships. boring. whenever they get zpm-s somehow they must deplete most of them or they die. or they get only so much that they won't die. yeah. when i saw the woman... yeah another hot chick enemy. of course this 20-30 yrs old hottie will lead her people. (ok, everything can be explained) but this is lame. I so saw it coming, that she would double-cross him. again. and again. and yeah a lt. col. would act exactly like shep did.

I'd like things to grow. evolve. both in characters' personality and in technology.
10 seasons and sgc remained one little base, with 1 mothership. (whenever there was a second one, they blew it up shortly.) sure jaffa nation and stuff, but the tauri always remained one weak spot, from where their partizan attacks came from. 8 or how many seasons, and o'neal didn't change a bit. Everyone's personal favorite was rda, but I reeeeaallly hated him. For me an elite soldier. trained to kill. living to kill. who knows nothing but killing is not a funny guy. Kurt Russel was a lot lot better, even though he's nothing compared to the original character in the book. he was soooooo much not fit for being a general.

Everyone, the producers, the writers are so comfortable, they rarely do anything big, new and mindshocking. they go with the old, good formulas.

my big big problem is that this (and sg1) is a military operation. and no one seems to act like soldiers. not oneil, not sheperd. not carter. in s1-3, the military leader of this whole expedition was always on away-missions. in fact only he could take the most dangerous missions. that doesn't sound very tactical to me.
3rd ep. there was this trap. the second-in-command (shep) and the lead scientist are traped. the rescue mission include carter and zilenka too. so if that goes wrong, atlantis loses its 2 highest rank military leaders and their 2 (3 w/ carter) top scientists!!! insane!!!

Why I watch this show (and watched sg1) if I find it so dumb? Because
1.) it started good
2.) the concept is great, and it could be sooooooo goood if only there would be some descent writers.
3.) I never stop hoping something will happen.
4.) up until now, I really believed in sga. I don't think sg1's death affected it in a good way. so i keep hoping.
5.) there aren't much sci-fi series, that reach even this level. Honestly I have no idea why. apart from sg1, sga, there was only bsg. best sci-fi show ever : Firefly! and they cancelled it after about 14 eps.

Shame. Shame. As if there were ppl in hollywood, or wherever they are, who say this show is too good. either you ruin it or we cancel it.

I know there's a lot in this post that should have gone in some other topic, and I'm sorry about it. but I found it all related. I'm not attacking you, don't need to be offended. I attack the show. because there would be sooooooooo f*ing much potential in it that it is a shame ruining it. sorry for the long post. I read through this episode's comments, and I felt I have to register and tell my opinion.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr lee
post Nov 1st 2007, 11:06 AM
Post #74

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,109

Permission to disagree that the first five episodes have been bad. In my opinion only this one has been anything but great to watch, and Travelers has had to start a new story arc.

Yes things have been a bit predictable, but what TV show on now isn't predictable in some way. Every storyline imaginable has been done, and done to death. Yeah i find it anoying that we nbever get new tech or anything, but the whole point of SG is that it's us 'Tau'ri' against a bigger bad guy.

If we had been able to keep every ZPM and ship we've found then Atlantis would have become too powerful and it would have destroyed the show.

With Larrin being in charge, how do we know the Travelers don't have some kind of heirarchy with her family being at the top?

The problem the writers have is that they need to try and balance 'realism' (Within a show set in Atlantis in a different galaxy dry.gif ) with entertainment. Having Carter take the mission to recover Shep and the team was for entertainment value only.

Sometimes the writers F**k up, other times the get it right, and while i don't think they've F'd up so far, yeah maybe they haven't got it completely right either.

Either way i still enjoy the show and will continue to watch it each week.
+Quote Post
Acolyte
post Nov 1st 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #75

Civilian
Group Icon

I wasn't saying that the last 5 eps were bad. i said i might judge a bit prematurely, after 5 eps. The first 2 eps were good anyway. the 3rd one was a joke. so predictable, and so much worse after the first 2, that i was stunned. in the very beginning i knew, that these friends will screw ronon over. although i never thought they sided w/ the wraith. but it was obvious that they would betray ronon, and he'd have to realize that his real friends and family is the atlantis team.

the 4th ep was a cheap one. it's a filler of fillers.

this 5th one wasn't a bad idea. how they carried it out is my problem.

if we could have kept all zpm's and stuff, still we... "we" wouldn't be stronger than anyone. tauri's and atlantis' strength is, that they aren't expanded. not dozens of planets in a union, but two small bases. they can hide, or it's easier to defend. while a bigger empire would give a lot more surface to be attacked on.

so if they could attain lots of great technology, then they could expand, as much as they can protect. it would give a new aspect of the show. just like the 10 yrs route from fighting a single goauld to battling an nigh-invincible alien ascended race. there could be a great war, and lots of action instead of little teams entering hostile territory and fighting their way home, inflicting as much damage as they can.

realism vs entertainment.

Realism for me means, that the characters act as real people would in situations like those. yes it's very realistic, that life-sucking aliens fight humans in the pegasus galaxy. But the whole point of sci-fi is, that "what if". what if wraith were real, and people would fight them. we change bits of reality, to get sci-fi (or fantasy, it depends on what you change) but people are people. in the changed world (where aliens exist, and the earth wages war against most of them) keep it as real as you can. it doesn't mean that it won't be entertaining. in fact for me unrealistic stuff ruins entertainment. totally.
you admitted that i'm right about the 3rd ep. that the 2 military leaders and 3 top scientists can not be risked. in fact as long as shep was the military leader in atlantis, i don't think that he could ever go on a mission. except for safe diplomatic missions. but this last part i really can overlook.

take battlestar galactica for example. in the universe they've created, it is real. real characters with real feelings, and actions. it is believeble. it could be real.

on a scale of 10, as how good stargate could be. I'd give sg-1 a 6 (last few seasons were really crappy), and atlantis a 7.
this universe has so much potential wasted.

I also continue watching the show. because i'm always hoping. and i did love atlantis. however afer this 3 eps i am afraid, that it'll get dull. anyway in the first 3 seasons most of the eps i did enjoy.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 1st 2007, 12:37 PM
Post #76

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

JRV must think we're stupid...
+Quote Post
Joda
post Nov 1st 2007, 1:36 PM
Post #77

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,542

Did he get banned or what?

It's quiet... too quiet...
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 1st 2007, 3:30 PM
Post #78

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

I'm just looking at the age of the new user and the location and what is and was said.

I am thinking that the Earth ships will be in trouble some where, and a fleet of travelers will come in a save the day, and then they can start a better working relationship.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Nov 1st 2007, 4:03 PM
Post #79

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Nov 1st 2007, 8:30 PM) *

I'm just looking at the age of the new user and the location and what is and was said.

I am thinking that the Earth ships will be in trouble some where, and a fleet of travelers will come in a save the day, and then they can start a better working relationship.

That would be waay too cheesy imo, I think what would help make the Travellers (a name I think they should retink btw) different is the fact that we don't know quite if they're good or bad, or rather that they're somewhere in the middle. Doing that and saving the day would make them too on our side really and I think that would be a mistake.
+Quote Post
HSV
post Nov 1st 2007, 5:49 PM
Post #80

Airman Basic

Member No.: 15,603

WOW that all made for good reading . Like my old dad said ,you can only please half the people half the time. GOOD EP smile.gif
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Nov 1st 2007, 5:59 PM
Post #81

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(HSV @ Nov 1st 2007, 10:49 PM) *

WOW that all made for good reading . Like my old dad said ,you can only please half the people half the time. GOOD EP smile.gif

Very few eps get more then that around a lot of places to be honest, but some still do slip through. I think Common Ground is the only episode I can think of where pretty much every post in the responce thread was positive.
Some episodes I think 'How can anyone dislike that' and then I check the thread and a fair few people do, guess it's just perspective huh smile.gif
+Quote Post
zero302154
post Nov 1st 2007, 6:22 PM
Post #82

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,383

quick question the ship in this ep, is it a new class or did they f*** it up with mis-information? it look way different then what we've seen so far, but mckay call it an aurora class vessel. whats the deal?
+Quote Post
HSV
post Nov 1st 2007, 6:23 PM
Post #83

Airman Basic

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Nov 2nd 2007, 8:59 AM) *

Very few eps get more then that around a lot of places to be honest, but some still do slip through. I think Common Ground is the only episode I can think of where pretty much every post in the responce thread was positive.
Some episodes I think 'How can anyone dislike that' and then I check the thread and a fair few people do, guess it's just perspective huh smile.gif

as you know i am new to this forum but i had to make a coffee for this lot, must say it's better the newspaper laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Nov 1st 2007, 6:49 PM
Post #84

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(zero302154 @ Nov 1st 2007, 11:22 PM) *

quick question the ship in this ep, is it a new class or did they f*** it up with mis-information? it look way different then what we've seen so far, but mckay call it an aurora class vessel. whats the deal?

No it's called a new camera angle dear, you could tell it was the same ship. Same with the establishing shots of Atlantis this year they make it look different.
+Quote Post
zero302154
post Nov 1st 2007, 6:58 PM
Post #85

Airman
Group Icon

i dont know, but what ever. im sick of the same thing, there no way anyone builds 3 types of ships and thats it. u need more then that, to fit different roles right. but i can swear to u it looked different, does anyone have like a youtube link to a sequence of the ship.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 1st 2007, 7:11 PM
Post #86

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(HSV @ Nov 1st 2007, 5:49 PM) *

I don't thin you dad said that, lots of people say that, and it is very true.

QUOTE(HSV @ Nov 1st 2007, 6:23 PM) *

as you know i am new to this forum but i had to make a coffee for this lot, must say it's better the newspaper laugh.gif

What?
+Quote Post
Revan
post Nov 1st 2007, 7:38 PM
Post #87

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Nov 1st 2007, 8:11 PM) *

What?

Apparently our forum is better than the newspaper...

I guess it depends upon why a person reads the news.
+Quote Post
zero302154
post Nov 1st 2007, 7:40 PM
Post #88

Airman
Group Icon

that isnt a spoiler lol
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Nov 1st 2007, 7:56 PM
Post #89

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(zero302154 @ Nov 2nd 2007, 12:40 AM) *

that isnt a spoiler lol

I think we're reading different pages, you're still reading the newspaper we're reading this thread smile.gif
+Quote Post
zero302154
post Nov 1st 2007, 8:04 PM
Post #90

Airman
Group Icon

hm......maybe but u never really know
+Quote Post
HSV
post Nov 1st 2007, 8:26 PM
Post #91

Airman Basic

QUOTE(Revan @ Nov 2nd 2007, 10:38 AM) *

thats what i ment
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 1st 2007, 11:09 PM
Post #92

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Nov 1st 2007, 7:38 PM) *

I get it, the forum is so good that he made some coffee, it's better than the newspaper. I was so confused. Thanks Revan.
+Quote Post
Dave312
post Nov 2nd 2007, 1:26 AM
Post #93

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,343

QUOTE(zero302154 @ Nov 2nd 2007, 9:58 AM) *

i dont know, but what ever. im sick of the same thing, there no way anyone builds 3 types of ships and thats it. u need more then that, to fit different roles right. but i can swear to u it looked different, does anyone have like a youtube link to a sequence of the ship.

There definitely would have been more than 3 types of ships, but the ancients were at war. Any other types of ships would have most likely been destroyed. I do agree with your point though. Would be nice to actually see a different type of ship.

As for this episode, it was a great idea but badly executed. Could have been that much better. Still although I don't think this season has been as good as the previous ones, it is still quite watchable. Hopefully the season will pick up, if not then hopefully the writers will learn for next season.
+Quote Post
Acolyte
post Nov 2nd 2007, 3:01 AM
Post #94

Civilian
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dave312 @ Nov 2nd 2007, 7:26 AM) *

There definitely would have been more than 3 types of ships, but the ancients were at war. Any other types of ships would have most likely been destroyed. I do agree with your point though. Would be nice to actually see a different type of ship.

As for this episode, it was a great idea but badly executed. Could have been that much better. Still although I don't think this season has been as good as the previous ones, it is still quite watchable. Hopefully the season will pick up, if not then hopefully the writers will learn for next season.

Exactly!
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Nov 2nd 2007, 9:02 AM
Post #95

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,443

all I can say is wow this episode was great can't wait to rewatch it live on telly on tuesday
was it me or did those traveler ships look similar to the dc 304's only more stockier.
I'm really looking forward to seeing the travelers again.perhaps we may help them out of a sticky situation and they'll help us in return when we do see them again.it would be good to have an ally in the pegasus
who we can actually exchange technollogy with!
+Quote Post
Joda
post Nov 2nd 2007, 10:28 AM
Post #96

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,542

Likely we'll help them, then they'll turn and steal a Jumper or the Apollo.

Then call and say thank you.

I'm really hoping these guys become the grey area allies. People who help when it serves them, and people who attack when they feel like it, rather than the typical alliance.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 22nd 2014 - 3:32 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.