Rating  4
Dafmeister
post Oct 14th 2008, 1:37 PM
Post #145

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

I thought that too. Wasn't that the reason they captured Sheppard anyway, as he had a very strong gene?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Revan
post Oct 14th 2008, 4:18 PM
Post #146

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Oct 14th 2008, 2:37 PM) *

I thought that too. Wasn't that the reason they captured Sheppard anyway, as he had a very strong gene?

Wasn't it one of those "we can kinda make some stuff work, but none of the big stuff," and they didn't know enough about the technology.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Oct 14th 2008, 4:26 PM
Post #147

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

QUOTE(Dave312 @ Oct 14th 2008, 4:21 AM) *

I don't know whether this nitpick has been pointed out before, but in this episode while Larin is distracting the Wraith and Sheppard is in the control chair preparing to fire a drone at these Wraith, Larin is using an Ancient handheld scanner. In The Seige Part I, Rodney says that only someone who has the Ancient gene can use those devices. And it is also said that none of the Travellers have the Ancient gene; so how could she use the scanner??

Are we talking the scanne that can locate lifesigns? If so, they showed Ford using them during season 1 and he didn't have the ancient gene.

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Oct 14th 2008, 1:37 PM) *

If I remember correctly they couldn't get the thing to work and wanted someone from Atlantis that could make it work, hence Sheppard. Who, as you say has a very strong gene connection.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Oct 15th 2008, 2:08 PM
Post #148

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,251

There was a point where Mckay said that someone with the gene just has to initialize a device, then it can be used by anyone.
+Quote Post
Dave312
post Oct 16th 2008, 5:15 AM
Post #149

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,343

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Oct 16th 2008, 6:08 AM) *

There was a point where Mckay said that someone with the gene just has to initialize a device, then it can be used by anyone.

Thats true:
GRODIN: It seems some Ancient technology requires the user to have the gene. Other things merely require initialization. Once activated, like the control room, anyone can push the buttons to make them work.

However as far as the scanners go:
SHEPPARD: Well, we have this. It can't differentiate between Wraith and human but if we confine all base personnel to the designated areas the blips that show up out of bounds will be the likely targets.
EVERETT: Let me see that.
SHEPPARD: It won't do you any good. You need the gene.
EVERETT: I got the gene therapy, too.

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Oct 15th 2008, 3:15 AM) *

I thought they said that some of the travellers had the gene, but none with the level of control that Sheppard had.

I was under the impression none of them had the gene, hence why they needed Sheppard to help them build the interface. However I think this is just something that is implied and it is not said whether they actually have the gene.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Oct 16th 2008, 3:38 PM
Post #150

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dave312 @ Oct 16th 2008, 5:15 AM) *

Thats true:
However as far as the scanners go:
SHEPPARD: Well, we have this. It can't differentiate between Wraith and human but if we confine all base personnel to the designated areas the blips that show up out of bounds will be the likely targets.
EVERETT: Let me see that.
SHEPPARD: It won't do you any good. You need the gene.
EVERETT: I got the gene therapy, too.
I was under the impression none of them had the gene, hence why they needed Sheppard to help them build the interface. However I think this is just something that is implied and it is not said whether they actually have the gene.

Then how was Ford able to handle and work the scanner? I distinctly remember Shep giving it to him at times to watch for lifesigns.
+Quote Post
Dave312
post Oct 17th 2008, 2:59 AM
Post #151

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Oct 17th 2008, 7:38 AM) *

Then how was Ford able to handle and work the scanner? I distinctly remember Shep giving it to him at times to watch for lifesigns.

Well I guess that would also be a nitpick. We have seen Ford fly a jumper so we know that he must have received the gene therapy at some point.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Oct 17th 2008, 6:33 AM
Post #152

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,340

We've not seen Ford pilot a Jumper. He was sitting in the copilot seat. The consensus is that he used the DHD to dial out of Atlantis, which automatically sent the Jumper through the Stargate.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Oct 17th 2008, 9:08 AM
Post #153

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Oct 17th 2008, 6:33 AM) *

We've not seen Ford pilot a Jumper. He was sitting in the copilot seat. The consensus is that he used the DHD to dial out of Atlantis, which automatically sent the Jumper through the Stargate.

Yeah, we haven't seen him really start it and fly it. But I do remember him having the scanner and using that. Maybe Shep did begin it, and just gave it to him. I do know that Ford does not have the gene real or by therapy.
+Quote Post
Dave312
post Oct 17th 2008, 7:56 PM
Post #154

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Oct 17th 2008, 10:33 PM) *

I assume we are talking about the same instance from The Siege Part III. Ok fair enough because we know the Jumpers use an Auto-pilot system in Atlantis. But what happens once he is through the gate? The Jumper would just fly out of control and crash. That seems pretty stupid.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Oct 19th 2008, 10:34 AM
Post #155

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dave312 @ Oct 17th 2008, 5:56 PM) *

I assume we are talking about the same instance from The Siege Part III. Ok fair enough because we know the Jumpers use an Auto-pilot system in Atlantis. But what happens once he is through the gate? The Jumper would just fly out of control and crash. That seems pretty stupid.

Yet when they found Ford, he didn't have a jumper with him...

+Quote Post
Revan
post Oct 19th 2008, 10:47 AM
Post #156

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Oct 19th 2008, 11:34 AM) *

Yet when they found Ford, he didn't have a jumper with him...

They found the PJ abandoned on the planet Ford took it to originally. Nobody seemed too surprised he took one, and nobody made a fuss over the fact that he was in it... maybe he did have the ATA gene therapy, or maybe he didn't... I suspect TPTB felt it was irrelevent to the overall plot.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Oct 20th 2008, 10:46 AM
Post #157

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dave312 @ Oct 16th 2008, 3:15 AM) *

Travellers came on late last night on a local channel, and they never said that none of the travellers had the gene, but did a blood test on Sheppard and found that he did have the gene, leading me to believe that they didn't know of any of themselves that had it.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 30th 2014 - 7:10 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.