Revan
post Nov 9th 2007, 9:18 PM
Post #121

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(Dave312 @ Nov 9th 2007, 8:44 PM) *

Does multiple chair platforms mean that more than one person can control drones during a battle? If so, what happens when two people are trying to control the same drone?

Probably not. As I said, it was probably auxiliary, so there wouldn't be a conflict. Either they would control them from the bridge, or the chair room...

Although, we don't know if the Orion's drones were controlled from a chair. Just because we didn't see it, doesn't mean it wasn't there.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 9th 2007, 10:34 PM
Post #122

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,251

The thing I was getting at, but I didnt think I actually said, was why he wasn't controlling the ship from the second chair...
+Quote Post
Revan
post Nov 10th 2007, 12:28 AM
Post #123

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Nov 9th 2007, 10:34 PM) *

The thing I was getting at, but I didnt think I actually said, was why he wasn't controlling the ship from the second chair...

It may have only been for the drones.

We don't know enough about the systems to give any adequate answer.
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Nov 10th 2007, 8:11 AM
Post #124

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,443

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Nov 10th 2007, 1:46 AM) *

I am starting to be bothered by the fact that the battle ship had a chair room, aside from the chair on the bridge. The Aurora's drones were fired from the bridge, and in Atlantis, drones and piloting are done from the same chair.

Your thinking about the orion we never saw the Aurora fire drones.I think on the A class ships(Aurora class)
chairs have different funtions I don't think the drone chair we saw in travelers could access the navigation
(although i could be wrong)It probably had access to one battery of drones whilst the one on the bridge had access to another meaning that they could target more enemies at any given time.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 10th 2007, 12:29 PM
Post #125

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Nov 10th 2007, 8:11 AM) *

Your thinking about the orion we never saw the Aurora fire drones.I think on the A class ships(Aurora class)
chairs have different funtions I don't think the drone chair we saw in travelers could access the navigation
(although i could be wrong)It probably had access to one battery of drones whilst the one on the bridge had access to another meaning that they could target more enemies at any given time.

Yes, I was thinking of the Orion.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Nov 10th 2007, 1:05 PM
Post #126

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,340

The ship seen in this episode and the Orion were different. Orion didn't have a neural interface, Lorne just flipped a switch to fire the drones. Even though they are clearly the same class of ship, the one seen in this episode was just given a clearly defined control system compared to what we saw earlier.
It's the same as the city ships. We saw the Asurans control their ship from the control room and Rodney also activated the Star Drive of the second city (in 'The Tower') from a console but Sheppard used the Chair to pilot the city to the new planet.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 10th 2007, 1:49 PM
Post #127

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Nov 10th 2007, 1:05 PM) *

The ship seen in this episode and the Orion were different. Orion didn't have a neural interface, Lorne just flipped a switch to fire the drones. Even though they are clearly the same class of ship, the one seen in this episode was just given a clearly defined control system compared to what we saw earlier.
It's the same as the city ships. We saw the Asurans control their ship from the control room and Rodney also activated the Star Drive of the second city (in 'The Tower') from a console but Sheppard used the Chair to pilot the city to the new planet.

Thanks Daf, I forgot about Rodney in 'The Tower'.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Nov 10th 2007, 2:05 PM
Post #128

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

In those cases they were manually activating systems, in the same way Sheppard used the auxiliary control room in this episode.

Rodney needed to find computer terminals capable of accessing flight functions in The Tower.

I still don't think we know enough to speculate accurately or productively.
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Nov 11th 2007, 1:02 PM
Post #129

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Nov 10th 2007, 7:05 PM) *

yes but which chair was he using? was it the central control chair? or was it one of the others? atlantis has (I think) three control chairs but i would guess that only one of them controls the stardrive while the others control just the drones and minor systems,I am probably wrong though and that is just my theory but until tptb tell us otherwise or i hear a better idea then I will believe it to be true.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Nov 11th 2007, 1:05 PM
Post #130

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Nov 11th 2007, 8:02 PM) *

yes but which chair was he using? was it the central control chair? or was it one of the others? atlantis has (I think) three control chairs but i would guess that only one of them controls the stardrive while the others control just the drones and minor systems,I am probably wrong though and that is just my theory but until tptb tell us otherwise or i hear a better idea then I will believe it to be true.

I don't see why you would be thinking there are 3 chairs. TPTB haven't told us that there are more than one chair in a city ship either. blink.gif
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Nov 11th 2007, 3:36 PM
Post #131

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Nov 11th 2007, 6:02 PM) *
When has it EVER been said there are three Chairs in Atlantis? There is only one. Why would they need more than one given the Chairs allow access to the entire city?
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 11th 2007, 5:56 PM
Post #132

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Nov 11th 2007, 3:36 PM) *

When has it EVER been said there are three Chairs in Atlantis? There is only one. Why would they need more than one given the Chairs allow access to the entire city?

This is true, and it's what bothered me about the convenience of having two chairs on the ship.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Nov 11th 2007, 6:07 PM
Post #133

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Nov 11th 2007, 5:56 PM) *

This is true, and it's what bothered me about the convenience of having two chairs on the ship.

There weren't two chairs on the ship. The Captain's chair just happened to have a neural control interface in case of emergency.
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Nov 12th 2007, 7:37 AM
Post #134

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Nov 11th 2007, 9:36 PM) *

it has been said that there a three drone platforms in the city so i'd assume each drone platform would have
a chair assigned to it (I will admit that I could be wrong about each platform having it's own chair however on the ancient ship there was more than one chair and atlantis is a lot bigger).
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Nov 12th 2007, 8:33 AM
Post #135

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Nov 12th 2007, 12:37 PM) *

it has been said that there a three drone platforms in the city so i'd assume each drone platform would have
a chair assigned to it (I will admit that I could be wrong about each platform having it's own chair however on the ancient ship there was more than one chair and atlantis is a lot bigger).

The Chair can control the entire city though (as seen by flying it) so it makes sense that the chair would control all the drone chambers as well. If you've got an attack on you don't want to be firing at only one third power until the other people can run to their chairs too.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Nov 12th 2007, 1:07 PM
Post #136

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

We have seen the chair control all of the drone repositiories.
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Nov 14th 2007, 8:26 AM
Post #137

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Nov 12th 2007, 2:33 PM) *

The Chair can control the entire city though (as seen by flying it) so it makes sense that the chair would control all the drone chambers as well. If you've got an attack on you don't want to be firing at only one third power until the other people can run to their chairs too.

yes but you are limited by how many ships you can concentrate on a single drone platform would take care of a hive ship or 2 until someone got to the other two chairs also I would expect that like on earth ships there would always be someone stationed in the chair room who could operate it if the city did come under attack especially during a time of war.

QUOTE(Revan @ Nov 12th 2007, 7:07 PM) *

We have seen the chair control all of the drone repositiories.

when? as far as I've seen we've only ever seen 1 drone repository active and that was during the seige
part 2 with only a half dozen drones. also as i said before you couldn't control that many drones against
so many enemies alone even an ancient wouldn't have the concentration to shoot at so many targets.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Nov 14th 2007, 9:20 AM
Post #138

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Nov 14th 2007, 1:26 PM) *

when? as far as I've seen we've only ever seen 1 drone repository active and that was during the seige
part 2 with only a half dozen drones. also as i said before you couldn't control that many drones against
so many enemies alone even an ancient wouldn't have the concentration to shoot at so many targets.

O'neill, in the lost city. 32ish ships, plus gliders, he took them all out he did!

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Nov 14th 2007, 9:20 AM
+Quote Post
Revan
post Nov 14th 2007, 1:05 PM
Post #139

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Nov 14th 2007, 8:26 AM) *

In The Tower, Odo fires drones from every launcher.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 14th 2007, 1:48 PM
Post #140

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Nov 14th 2007, 9:20 AM) *

O'neill, in the lost city. 32ish ships, plus gliders, he took them all out he did!

And he did so avoiding friendly targets. And he was near death at the time.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Nov 14th 2007, 1:57 PM
Post #141

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Nov 14th 2007, 2:20 PM) *
Multiple targets at anyone time too.
I don't think there is any arguement that an Ancient could do the same given what O'Neill showed he could do with the drones.
+Quote Post
Dave312
post Oct 14th 2008, 4:21 AM
Post #142

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,343

I don't know whether this nitpick has been pointed out before, but in this episode while Larin is distracting the Wraith and Sheppard is in the control chair preparing to fire a drone at these Wraith, Larin is using an Ancient handheld scanner. In The Seige Part I, Rodney says that only someone who has the Ancient gene can use those devices. And it is also said that none of the Travellers have the Ancient gene; so how could she use the scanner??
+Quote Post
kordone
post Oct 14th 2008, 4:47 AM
Post #143

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,555

I noticed that, also seen Ronan using one a few times as well. I think they've moved on to 'just have to be intiailised first' thing with that.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Oct 14th 2008, 11:15 AM
Post #144

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dave312 @ Oct 14th 2008, 2:21 AM) *

I don't know whether this nitpick has been pointed out before, but in this episode while Larin is distracting the Wraith and Sheppard is in the control chair preparing to fire a drone at these Wraith, Larin is using an Ancient handheld scanner. In The Seige Part I, Rodney says that only someone who has the Ancient gene can use those devices. And it is also said that none of the Travellers have the Ancient gene; so how could she use the scanner??

I thought they said that some of the travellers had the gene, but none with the level of control that Sheppard had.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 25th 2014 - 12:48 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.