post Oct 26th 2007, 7:06 PM
Post #1

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Season 4, Episode 5 - Travelers
Air date: October 26, 2007

Lt. Col. Sheppard is taken prisoner aboard a rogue ship run by a ruthless human commander.

Episode Guide | Spoilers | Teaser

(This topic is for people who have seen the episode to discuss it. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read this topic.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jrv
post Oct 26th 2007, 10:08 PM
Post #2

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,167

I must sound like a broken record but what the heck are the writers doing? This was another throw away episode that offered nothing. A new group of people were brought in and they left with an Atlantian ship. We could easily never see or hear from them again. How did this episode advance the story lines at all? What did we gain from it?
+Quote Post
Protoziggy90
post Oct 26th 2007, 10:09 PM
Post #3

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,304

My thoughts on the episode:

The plot was alright. It lacked a depth that I appreciate in a good episode.

The humor was decent most of the time. I particularly liked the end with Rodney complaining that he never gets kidnapped by the hot or sexy aliens.

I didn't feel like this was a filler episode, but was there actually any story-arc relevance in the episode? I mean clearly not every episode can be part of the story, but this was episode 5 and only the first 2 had relevance to the story.

I like Shepperd episodes, and I think this was pretty good.
+Quote Post
jrv
post Oct 26th 2007, 10:21 PM
Post #4

Airman First Class
Group Icon

QUOTE(Protoziggy90 @ Oct 26th 2007, 11:09 PM) *

I didn't feel like this was a filler episode, but was there actually any story-arc relevance in the episode? I mean clearly not every episode can be part of the story, but this was episode 5 and only the first 2 had relevance to the story.

In my opinion only the first two episodes in this season had anything to do with the story-arc. We've had three episodes in a row that offer nothing. And to make things worse I just read the summary of next weeks episode and it seems like another "filler" episode. What happened to the wraith and the replicator story lines? All they say is that they are fighting. If next weeks episode is like these last three I am bailing on Stargate Atlantis.
+Quote Post
soma_momma
post Oct 26th 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #5

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,668

Okay, I get it that on TV and in movies people get badly beaten without sustaining any bruises, broken noses, or lost teeth. But if Shepard is willing to make out with a women who had him beaten, exposed to radiation, and then beat him herself, well, he needs some serious psychological therapy.
+Quote Post
jrv
post Oct 26th 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #6

Airman First Class
Group Icon

QUOTE(soma_momma @ Oct 26th 2007, 11:29 PM) *

Okay, I get it that on TV and in movies people get badly beaten without sustaining any bruises, broken noses, or lost teeth. But if Shepard is willing to make out with a women who had him beaten, exposed to radiation, and then beat him herself, well, he needs some serious psychological therapy.

I agree with that and forget to mention it in my previous posts. I know Shepard is "the sexy guy" on the show but having him fall for women just makes him look dumb. And that is again something the writers are messing up on. Shepard's character being played by women is just pathetic.
+Quote Post
apexad
post Oct 26th 2007, 11:07 PM
Post #7

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 397

Assuming that we hear from this group of people again, they may have actually advanced the storyline. I think some of you might be jumping to conclusions.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Oct 27th 2007, 1:14 AM
Post #8

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

I thought this was a pretty sweet episode.

I definitely saw the gift of life coming, and I saw her double-crossing him, but I couldn't be sure who would win in the end.

Now the Wraith know another Aurora class starship is floating around out there...

I liked her incentive for his help... opening the cargo bay doors to space and threatening to jettison him into the vacuum of space... hehe laugh.gif Not nice...

I really hope we see these Travelers again, they sould be an interesting addition to the cast... and hey, at the very least, we know where Ronon's gun technology comes from, and that it can be depleted.

EDIT: Sheppard has an over-active libido...
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Oct 27th 2007, 1:18 AM
Post #9

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

Is there such a thing as counter predictable? As soon as I saw the ship, I knew what they weren't going to do. They weren't going to keep it.

I was entertained by this ep. The chick was hot, she could fix hyperdrives, she could fight the wraith in hand to hand combat, and she was sensative. What a character....

I expected the team to cloak the jumpers and land on the ship and beat the hell out of her people and then have Shep give the shi[ anyway. I was disapointed there.

Also, there was no AT in this ep. wtf is that?

EDIT:
That gun was depleted very fast, and we've never seen Ronan reload.

I always thought there were more out there and I expect to see at least one more.

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Oct 27th 2007, 1:21 AM
+Quote Post
jrv
post Oct 27th 2007, 1:30 AM
Post #10

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Actually we have seen Ronan reload his gun. I have always wondered where he got the reloads for his weapon. I'm assuming the cells are rechargeable because they never explained how he gets more.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Oct 27th 2007, 1:31 AM
Post #11

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

I also liked the First Strike callback... "All he said is that his name is Reed Richards..." Mr. Fantastic, anyone?

EDIT:

Well I knew they wouldn't keep it... not that they really need it... dry.gif

They didn't really need AT in the episode... she wouldn't have had much to do. I expect her 14 episodes will actually show her doing something of note... this was really a Sheppard episode.

A smart designer would make those pulse pistols rechargable.

And I was definitely expecting the good guys to storm the ship and take out the Traveler boarding party.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Oct 27th 2007, 1:34 AM
Post #12

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Oct 27th 2007, 1:31 AM) *

I also liked the First Strike callback... "All he said is that his name is Reed Richards..." Mr. Fantastic, anyone?

LOL, I just got back on to say that.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Oct 27th 2007, 1:41 AM
Post #13

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Oct 27th 2007, 2:34 AM) *

LOL, I just got back on to say that.

Well I recorded it, and am re-watching it. I forgot about it the first time around, even though I laughed and told my brother I thought it was funny... He seemed confused. unsure.gif

EDIT: No complaints about Teyla not having anything to do, since nobody but Lt. Col. Sheppard did anything!
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Oct 27th 2007, 2:06 AM
Post #14

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

I am watching it the second time around and I see that again, they are showing sg1 right after atlantis. Why cancel the show if yo are just gonna continue to show it on the same day with it's sister show. That is very irritating.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Oct 27th 2007, 2:11 AM
Post #15

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Oct 27th 2007, 3:06 AM) *

I am watching it the second time around and I see that again, they are showing sg1 right after atlantis. Why cancel the show if yo are just gonna continue to show it on the same day with it's sister show. That is very irritating.

Well don't ya just love syndication?

Thats not even a great episode... Not bad though, if you like Nirrti.

I thought the Traveler's ship looked odd.... given it was entirely "hot wired..." crying.gif Poor guys floating out in space for so long.

I found it odd that, given Larren's firing pattern, she was able to blow a person-sized hole in a fairly thick door.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Oct 27th 2007, 2:36 AM
Post #16

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

Well, I would consider this episode mediocre at best. A few things I don't agree with would be:

1. In the middle of the episode, when the Atlantis rescue team comes through the gate with PJs, all 9 chevrons of that gate are lit up. Someone in that department really screwed things up when it came to details.

2. Obvious for some reason that Sheppard would force that Wraith to give Larren (or however you spell her name) her life back, and that they weren't going to keep that ship, but at least it's not blown up this time. They may have the chance again in the future.

3. Did it seem to anyone else that this episode resembled SG-1's Prometheus Unbound Daniel vs Vala in the terms of Sheppard and that crazy alien? To me it did, even if she was not lying about using the ship to help her people. rolleyes.gif

The parts I liked include only Sheppard's sarcasm in tight situations.

This post has been edited by KillerMarv: Oct 27th 2007, 2:37 AM
+Quote Post
Revan
post Oct 27th 2007, 2:42 AM
Post #17

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

I thought it was odd that Shep was stupid enough to let Larrin stun him at the end.

Liked her slight southern accent at the end.

Liked Ronon saying they were going to try to help Shep no matter what happens.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Oct 27th 2007, 3:30 AM
Post #18

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

Since M & M wrote this episode, I was surprised by how much I liked it. It did have shades of Prometheous Unbound from SG1. Only this time it was Larrin and Shep compared to Vala and Daniel. Both females needed a ship and both used the male to try and fix it.

I truly liked the Larrin character. In one episode they made a female character interesting and she had an actual personality. It's been over 3 years and they have not done that with Teyla, yet. rolleyes.gif

Of course you knew the Wraith were going to jump onboard. That was a foregone conclusion.

You didn't need Sam in this one. Since AT is only in 14 of the 20 episodes, I'm assuming that when she is, she'll be an integral part of the storyline.

Yes, Sheppard has a high libido, LOL! When the Wraith walked away, I was like, "John not now, follow him with the locator and make sure that he does leave."

I simply liked this episode because Rodney was not the savior. He wasn't Mister Know It All. wink.gif
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Oct 27th 2007, 7:21 AM
Post #19

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

QUOTE(jrv @ Oct 27th 2007, 6:21 AM) *

» Click to Show Spoiler «

Now, why would you say that without spoiler tags? Some people haven't seen any amount of spoiler information about this season at all... And some haven't even read the episode description (that being me 1.gif ). Even if that was not precious information about the next episode, it is still a spoiler and should be treated as such.

QUOTE(jrv @ Oct 27th 2007, 9:30 AM) *

Actually we have seen Ronan reload his gun. I have always wondered where he got the reloads for his weapon. I'm assuming the cells are rechargeable because they never explained how he gets more.

Or he could have more efficient power cells. Which would make the gun reload easier and last longer. 1.gif

This post has been edited by KillerMarv: Oct 27th 2007, 7:28 AM
+Quote Post
Rogue Ashrak
post Oct 27th 2007, 7:30 AM
Post #20

Hero of Time
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 7,502

QUOTE(jrv @ Oct 27th 2007, 1:08 PM) *

I must sound like a broken record but what the heck are the writers doing? This was another throw away episode that offered nothing. A new group of people were brought in and they left with an Atlantian ship. We could easily never see or hear from them again. How did this episode advance the story lines at all? What did we gain from it?

Perhaps a group of allies with a fleet of hyperspace equipped ships? How can you possibly say that this is going to lead nowhere? You have no clue what the writers have in mind.

QUOTE(jrv @ Oct 27th 2007, 1:21 PM) *

In my opinion only the first two episodes in this season had anything to do with the story-arc. We've had three episodes in a row that offer nothing. And to make things worse I just read the summary of next weeks episode and it seems like another "filler" episode. What happened to the wraith and the replicator story lines? All they say is that they are fighting. If next weeks episode is like these last three I am bailing on Stargate Atlantis.

Bail already. I'm starting to get sick and tired of you whining about each and every episode. I know people are entitled to their own opinion, but enough already, its getting tiresome. I've said this before and I'll say it again. They CANNOT make every ep a damn arc episode. Stargate has always had stand alone eps, in fact the stand alone eps are a primary method of opening NEW arcs, much like this one is likely to do.

If you want nothing but arc eps, go stick with shows that are written that way, like Heroes and Lost.

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Oct 27th 2007, 4:18 PM) *

Is there such a thing as counter predictable? As soon as I saw the ship, I knew what they weren't going to do. They weren't going to keep it.

I actually didn't know either way. I guess if I had thought about it, it wouldn't make much sense for the writers to hand Atlantis another ship whenthey already have the Deadalus, the Apollo , and god knows what other new Asgard tech enhanced ships that are scheduled to be rolling off the production lines.

Even so I never really discounted the posibility of them not getting the ship. Rather silly now I look back on it.

I was entertained by this ep. The chick was hot, she could fix hyperdrives, she could fight the wraith in hand to hand combat, and she was sensative. What a character....

Totally agree. I too could see shades of Prometheus Unbound in this ep, but it was different enough to be enjoyable without a voice screaming "RIPOFF" inside my head. Larrin wasn't quite as over ther top as Vala was in PU which was good, it would have been annoying seeing them groping each other all over the ship like Daniel and Vala did.
Her attitude whilst dealing with Shep made for an interesting dynamic as well given that it was fueled by her doing what she thought best for her people as opposed to Vala's selfish motivations of personal gain.

EDIT:
That gun was depleted very fast, and we've never seen Ronan reload.

I always thought there were more out there and I expect to see at least one more.

Weird, I always thought that his gun was of Satedan make. If we go by this episode and assume that this is not the case...I wonder where the tech did originate? It can't have have been invented by the Travellers themselves, I'm pretty sure Ronan has had no contact with them in order to aquire it. Maybe they got them on one of the planets that they landed on when they picked up supplies...and the Satedans also picked their weapons up from the same place. Guess it's not really important anyway.

Minor idea stealing aside, a fairly good ep. Hope to see more of the Travellers later down the track.

This post has been edited by Rogue Ashrak: Oct 27th 2007, 7:30 AM
+Quote Post
Sylver
post Oct 27th 2007, 8:22 AM
Post #21

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,115

I kind of enjoyed this episode, even if it had very little substance. I liked Larrin, she was a great character and no matter if they bring her back or if she's 'good' or 'bad' I think she's probably the best contrast for Sheppard/the team since they foolishly killed Coyla (and boy did I spell that one wrong. Apologies!)

I like the concept of these travellers, especially the fact that they didn't introduce them immediately, and that for years they'd heard rumors. Means the galaxy is still as big as it should be.

As for an arc...IMO, the writers have ruined every good possible arc they had. I don't want to see what they come up with in the Wraith vs Replicator one. I'm sorry to say I expect disappontment.

This post has been edited by Sylver: Oct 27th 2007, 8:23 AM
+Quote Post
ancient01
post Oct 27th 2007, 8:39 AM
Post #22

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,239

I enjoyed this one. Maybe I'm predudiced by the actress that played Larin, though. I thought she was good in Blade, too. The car commercials, though... Anyhow, I agree with a lot of the criticisms, but for some reason, I was willing to overlook them this time. I guess becuase it wasn't the same mix with Rodney fixing the tech problem, Ronan breaking through the front lines with brute force, and Teyla whining about how they're going about this the wrong way the whole time...
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Oct 27th 2007, 10:42 AM
Post #23

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

That's a good episode biggrin.gif Barely any faults with it, and yes Carter wasn't needed in it. Given she's only in 14 of the 20 it's good that at least in this one they came up with an episode where it wouldn't feel cheap them excusing her (which it sometimes does when they have to put in one line somewhere to explain a characters acsence). But a good episode, some original ideas in there as well and look forward to seeing that woman again (I just watched it, I can't remember her name). Am glad she pulled the weapon on Sheppard after she kissed him though, would have been way to cheap had she not.

And yes I didn't mind the others not being in it much given that it was a Sheppard focussed episode, it's not like the other characters were just ignored and not doing anything but they were not the focuc of the episode.

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Oct 27th 2007, 10:44 AM
+Quote Post
Revan
post Oct 27th 2007, 11:26 AM
Post #24

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(Rogue Ashrak @ Oct 27th 2007, 8:30 AM) *

Perhaps a group of allies with a fleet of hyperspace equipped ships? How can you possibly say that this is going to lead nowhere? You have no clue what the writers have in mind.
Bail already. I'm starting to get sick and tired of you whining about each and every episode. I know people are entitled to their own opinion, but enough already, its getting tiresome. I've said this before and I'll say it again. They CANNOT make every ep a damn arc episode. Stargate has always had stand alone eps, in fact the stand alone eps are a primary method of opening NEW arcs, much like this one is likely to do.

If you want nothing but arc eps, go stick with shows that are written that way, like Heroes and Lost.
I actually didn't know either way. I guess if I had thought about it, it wouldn't make much sense for the writers to hand Atlantis another ship whenthey already have the Deadalus, the Apollo , and god knows what other new Asgard tech enhanced ships that are scheduled to be rolling off the production lines.

Even so I never really discounted the posibility of them not getting the ship. Rather silly now I look back on it.
Totally agree. I too could see shades of Prometheus Unbound in this ep, but it was different enough to be enjoyable without a voice screaming "RIPOFF" inside my head. Larrin wasn't quite as over ther top as Vala was in PU which was good, it would have been annoying seeing them groping each other all over the ship like Daniel and Vala did.
Her attitude whilst dealing with Shep made for an interesting dynamic as well given that it was fueled by her doing what she thought best for her people as opposed to Vala's selfish motivations of personal gain.
Weird, I always thought that his gun was of Satedan make. If we go by this episode and assume that this is not the case...I wonder where the tech did originate? It can't have have been invented by the Travellers themselves, I'm pretty sure Ronan has had no contact with them in order to aquire it. Maybe they got them on one of the planets that they landed on when they picked up supplies...and the Satedans also picked their weapons up from the same place. Guess it's not really important anyway.

I think a show with an overall story arc and "filler" episodes is the way to go. You get a level of planned and intended character development as well as diversity in the stories being told. Granted, TPTB are crap with character development...

I bet this episode ran long. Usually they would have excused both the absence of Carter and the absence of an FTL capable starship for them to use.

To be honest, Prometheus Unbound never entered my head as I watched this episode. I can see similarities in that they both took place on starships, but other than that, they are pretty ifferent, IMO.

It is possible Ronon got the gun through trade with somebody that got it from the Travelers. Either they created and make the weapons, or they have somebody do it for them. I get the feeling, from their nomadic nature, that they built those pulse pistols themselves. I think TPTB were telling us that the Travelers originated the guns.

The Satedans used weapons with projectile rounds, some of which were explosive.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 24th 2014 - 4:41 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.