JTMAG1
post Oct 21st 2007, 8:04 PM
Post #25

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(Revan @ Oct 20th 2007, 3:10 PM) *

Teyla's dream wasn't that simple though. It was first about her feelings for John, then about her father being killed by the Wraith, and then about one she cares about (John), becoming a mutant Wraith creature. It may have been DopplegangerSheppard contolling her dream, but it had to ring true for her, or it wouldn't have produced the intended emotional and neuro-chemical response.

You forgot to mention her not being trusted by anyone but Sheppard.

QUOTE(magnavox @ Oct 20th 2007, 4:50 PM) *

Years ago, I can't remember the storyline off the top of my head.

IT is about a group of kids that do battle with an evil demon in the form of a creepy clown that goes after children, and I think it also used their fears against them. A group of kids defeat it and then they all come back later as adults when it awakes to attack the children of that town again.

QUOTE(Pitry @ Oct 20th 2007, 1:06 PM) *

Sorry. If there's one cahracter I really hate on SGA... I mean, I ahte Sheppard with a passion, but I guess I learned to lvie with him. Heitmeyer,on the other hand... eurgh. So hooray. : Although I dind't ;ike the Weir-esque speech Carter gave. Doesn't suit her.

It doesn't suit the character that you used to see on SG1, because she wasn't the leader. But if you watch this show and think of her as the leader of the Atlantis team, you can see that she acted this way consistently since she stepped through the gate. You won't see the Sam that you saw in the past, because she has a completely different role. As the leader of some many people, she has to say leaderish things. I don't think it was Weir-esque, it was leader-esque and that just the way that the writers of this show portray the female leader.

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Oct 21st 2007, 8:33 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Oct 22nd 2007, 1:27 AM
Post #26

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Oct 21st 2007, 8:04 PM) *

It doesn't suit the character that you used to see on SG1, because she wasn't the leader. But if you watch this show and think of her as the leader of the Atlantis team, you can see that she acted this way consistently since she stepped through the gate. You won't see the Sam that you saw in the past, because she has a completely different role. As the leader of some many people, she has to say leaderish things. I don't think it was Weir-esque, it was leader-esque and that just the way that the writers of this show portray the female leader.

Which is what I was saying. Sam is here to lead, not to go off-world as she did on SG1. I have a hunch that she will only go off-world, if and when Shep is threatened or captured. Sam is going to trust that Shep will lead his team. I think so far that she is portraying a strong and decisive leader.

Like I said before, this was a rehash story, but RCC wrote and directed it. You can't get much better than that. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Joda
post Oct 22nd 2007, 2:27 AM
Post #27

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,542

The movie "It" sucked...

Read the Stephen King book... SOO much better. Read it in a week, couldn't sleep for another two... and I haven't so much as *seen* a circus - let alone been in one - since.
+Quote Post
HSV
post Oct 22nd 2007, 7:33 AM
Post #28

Airman Basic

Member No.: 15,603

QUOTE(Ziu @ Oct 21st 2007, 4:01 AM) *

TPTB are continueing to rehash SG-1 plots. All you fans out there shall not be disappointed if SGA will be cancelled after this season.
I am just mystified that MGM can not see what the idiots in charge are doing to the Stargate franchise. Unless MGM does not care about TV anymore and wants to continue making movies for DVD. king.gif

I am still pissed about the axing of SG1 and major pissed if they axe SGA then what do you watch Dr WHO? sad.gif
+Quote Post
Ziu
post Oct 22nd 2007, 9:11 AM
Post #29

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,813

QUOTE(HSV @ Oct 22nd 2007, 7:33 AM) *

I am still pissed about the axing of SG1 and major pissed if they axe SGA then what do you watch Dr WHO? sad.gif

If they cancel SGA, I won't be as pissed as I was when SG-1 was cancelled.
Would I watch Dr Who ?? Hell no, it's the worst SciFi program ever.

As I have the Stargate movie, all 10 Seasons of SG-1, and a whole lot of other great DVD's, I don't need to watch the SciFi Channell at all. During the week I watch mostly my favorite Network shows. king.gif
+Quote Post
jrv
post Oct 22nd 2007, 9:18 AM
Post #30

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,167

Is anyone else concerned that the story lines aren't moving the main arcs along? We are 4 episodes deep and so far they are pretty much fillers. The next episode which will be the 5th also looks like a filler. When are they going to start advancing the stories again?

Don't get me wrong. I did like when SG-1 use to have fillers during their early seasons but once they developed serious plots and enemies I feel like they need to stay mostly focused on that.

This post has been edited by jrv: Oct 22nd 2007, 9:20 AM
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Oct 22nd 2007, 9:31 AM
Post #31

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(jrv @ Oct 22nd 2007, 3:18 PM) *

Is anyone else concerned that the story lines aren't moving the main arcs along? We are 4 episodes deep and so far they are pretty much fillers. The next episode which will be the 5th also looks like a filler. When are they going to start advancing the stories again?

Don't get me wrong. I did like when SG-1 use to have fillers during their early seasons but once they developed serious plots and enemies I feel like they need to stay mostly focused on that.

Episode 1 was dealing with the plots left hanging at the end of First Strike, the second episode was a major arc episode. Both cast wise and story arc wise, episode three developed that furthur with the wraith and the replicator war, as well as the change in personel on the base. Episode 4 is the only real individual one with no arc implication so far. But it was a good episode so what. Most of the episodes have been arcy in some way though what else would you have wanted from the first 4 episodes?

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Oct 22nd 2007, 9:32 AM
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Oct 22nd 2007, 11:38 AM
Post #32

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Oct 22nd 2007, 9:31 AM) *

Episode 1 was dealing with the plots left hanging at the end of First Strike, the second episode was a major arc episode. Both cast wise and story arc wise, episode three developed that furthur with the wraith and the replicator war, as well as the change in personel on the base. Episode 4 is the only real individual one with no arc implication so far. But it was a good episode so what. Most of the episodes have been arcy in some way though what else would you have wanted from the first 4 episodes?

Yes, they made their way to a new planet, they lost Wier, they added Carter, and started a war between the replicators and the Wraith. They uncovered that the Wraith disabled the attack code, and that the Wraith know Atlantis is still out there.
+Quote Post
HSV
post Oct 22nd 2007, 6:22 PM
Post #33

Airman Basic

Member No.: 15,603

QUOTE(Ziu @ Oct 23rd 2007, 12:11 AM) *

If they cancel SGA, I won't be as pissed as I was when SG-1 was cancelled.
Would I watch Dr Who ?? Hell no, it's the worst SciFi program ever.

As I have the Stargate movie, all 10 Seasons of SG-1, and a whole lot of other great DVD's, I don't need to watch the SciFi Channell at all. During the week I watch mostly my favorite Network shows. king.gif

Yeah i dont have the movie but i do have all the SG-1 dvd box sets prob wear them all out with a box of tissues crying.gif
+Quote Post
seymour
post Oct 22nd 2007, 7:41 PM
Post #34

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,394

Dr. Keller, is played by a wooden, uninspiring, and apparently untalented actress (Jewel Staite), the character is a miserable addition to the cast of Atlantis.

I cannot believe TPTB tossed aside the amazing Dr. Carson Beckett Played by Paul McGillion to attract the young male audience. It won't work! Beckett lit up every scene he was in - we haven't seen that screen presence since RDA in SG-1.

I cannot see Atlantis surviving beyond this next season unless the next few episodes significantly improve.

+Quote Post
jrv
post Oct 22nd 2007, 9:24 PM
Post #35

Airman First Class
Group Icon

QUOTE(seymour @ Oct 22nd 2007, 8:41 PM) *

Dr. Keller, is played by a wooden, uninspiring, and apparently untalented actress (Jewel Staite), the character is a miserable addition to the cast of Atlantis.

I cannot believe TPTB tossed aside the amazing Dr. Carson Beckett Played by Paul McGillion to attract the young male audience. It won't work! Beckett lit up every scene he was in - we haven't seen that screen presence since RDA in SG-1.

I cannot see Atlantis surviving beyond this next season unless the next few episodes significantly improve.

Finally I find someone that agrees with me. The character restructuring is really hurting the feel of the show in my opinion. The Dr. Keller character is terrible and as much as I like Carter she just doesn't fit in Atlantis. I have a strong feeling that Stargate Atlantis will not be getting picked up for another season. These episodes are going nowhere.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Oct 23rd 2007, 7:23 AM
Post #36

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(jrv @ Oct 23rd 2007, 3:24 AM) *

Finally I find someone that agrees with me. The character restructuring is really hurting the feel of the show in my opinion. The Dr. Keller character is terrible and as much as I like Carter she just doesn't fit in Atlantis. I have a strong feeling that Stargate Atlantis will not be getting picked up for another season. These episodes are going nowhere.

Again, whether it's picked up or not is based on business. Not quality, it doens't matter if some people dislike it as long as they continue watching (Or more accurately the ones with the box that matters watch). But give these guys a chance. As has been said by the producers the decision to bring in Keller and Carter were made after the decisions to get rid of Beckett and Weir, the producers didn't just think they'd do a better job. But these things have happened, this is where the show is now. Things do change. Just go with it, they're good characters, but given this is Kellers first REAL role I think you should give her a chance. And you can't say the series/episodes are going no where this early in, and besides they have arc wise...
+Quote Post
seymour
post Oct 23rd 2007, 10:39 AM
Post #37

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Oct 23rd 2007, 7:23 AM) *

..........Just go with it, they're good characters, but given this is Kellers first REAL role I think you should give her a chance. ...

This isn't Kindergarten. I don't believe an audience is under any obligation to wait for Jewel Staite's acting grade to improve from "D+" to "C" grade. She should be able to act to have a role in the show! The character of Keller is particularly bland and uninteresting - or perhaps appears that way precisely because of the weak acting skills of the Staite!

This was Keller's first REAL role - Staite should have made a better job of it.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Oct 23rd 2007, 11:55 AM
Post #38

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(seymour @ Oct 23rd 2007, 4:39 PM) *

This isn't Kindergarten. I don't believe an audience is under any obligation to wait for Jewel Staite's acting grade to improve from "D+" to "C" grade. She should be able to act to have a role in the show! The character of Keller is particularly bland and uninteresting - or perhaps appears that way precisely because of the weak acting skills of the Staite!

This was Keller's first REAL role - Staite should have made a better job of it.

Well personally I have no problem with Staites performance, given what we know about the character she seemed to do fine here tbh. This episode was the first to be filmed of the season though and Rob Cooper has said that some of the actors didn't know how to act towards one another or where their characters should have been at that stage. But still I didn't think there was anything wrong with her acting, and I liked the character too. But still in situations like this I always say give it a few episodes to judge, it's sometimes a bit presumptious to rule someone's performance based on one script.
+Quote Post
seymour
post Oct 23rd 2007, 12:19 PM
Post #39

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Oct 23rd 2007, 11:55 AM) *

........ This episode was the first to be filmed of the season though and Rob Cooper has said that some of the actors didn't know how to act towards one another or where their characters should have been at that stage. ......

I had read that the cancellation of SG-1 was going to allow producers, directors and writers to focus their energies on Atlantis. Were they all on vacation when this episode was filmed? Why didn't Rob Cooper tell the actors how they should be acting towards each other! After all, Cooper did write, direct and produce this episode! He's also an Executive Producer of the series. Who is driving this car?

P.S. Aber..... one of my favorite places in the world - takes me back to the '70s.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Oct 23rd 2007, 12:56 PM
Post #40

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(seymour @ Oct 23rd 2007, 6:19 PM) *

I had read that the cancellation of SG-1 was going to allow producers, directors and writers to focus their energies on Atlantis. Were they all on vacation when this episode was filmed? Why didn't Rob Cooper tell the actors how they should be acting towards each other! After all, Cooper did write, direct and produce this episode! He's also an Executive Producer of the series. Who is driving this car?

P.S. Aber..... one of my favorite places in the world - takes me back to the '70s.

True, but still when you're filming a scene you might play it in a few different ways and see what works best, the director might come up with something new to do on the day or there may be script changes, but the fact is that the actors don't know how they would have acted towards eachother in the previous stories may have caused a certain ammount of uncertainty. So even though there is a general idea it might be a little hard to guess the subtleties of the relationships based on the scripts. They would have known roughly though odds are they would have had at least a couple of the scripts before hand.

Aber is pretty cool, I do like it here smile.gif

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Oct 23rd 2007, 12:57 PM
+Quote Post
seymour
post Oct 25th 2007, 12:30 PM
Post #41

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Oct 23rd 2007, 12:56 PM) *

True, but still when you're filming a scene you might play it in a few different ways and see what works best, the director might come up with something new to do on the day or there may be script changes, but the fact is that the actors don't know how they would have acted towards eachother in the previous stories may have caused a certain ammount of uncertainty. So even though there is a general idea it might be a little hard to guess the subtleties of the relationships based on the scripts. They would have known roughly though odds are they would have had at least a couple of the scripts before hand.

Aber is pretty cool, I do like it here smile.gif

These guys get paid the big bucks so that we, their audience, should view a seemless transition from one episode to another - no matter the order of filming.

The movie the Interpreter with Nicole Kidman and Sean Penn did not have a finished script before filming began. I watched that movie and would not have guessed because of the great acting and directing etc. Although TV has a faster turnaround time, TPTB and especially Cooper should have had a vision to pass onto the actors. If not, they are selling the fans short.

And if the actors are unsure - hey guess what - Jewel Staite, could've and should've have asked for specific direction! It is part of her job.

I'm aware that Atlantis has received an early renewal for a fifth season - despite weekly diminishing ratings - at this point I'm not sure I'll be part of the audience and I was a huge fan and committed viewer. Not so now.

We shouldn't be having to make excuses for people failing to perform their jobs.
They certainly failed to meet this viewer's expectations.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Oct 25th 2007, 12:37 PM
Post #42

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(seymour @ Oct 25th 2007, 6:30 PM) *

These guys get paid the big bucks so that we, their audience, should view a seemless transition from one episode to another - no matter the order of filming.

The movie the Interpreter with Nicole Kidman and Sean Penn did not have a finished script before filming began. I watched that movie and would not have guessed because of the great acting and directing etc. Although TV has a faster turnaround time, TPTB and especially Cooper should have had a vision to pass onto the actors. If not, they are selling the fans short.

And if the actors are unsure - hey guess what - Jewel Staite, could've and should've have asked for specific direction! It is part of her job.

I'm aware that Atlantis has received an early renewal for a fifth season - despite weekly diminishing ratings - at this point I'm not sure I'll be part of the audience and I was a huge fan and committed viewer. Not so now.

We shouldn't be having to make excuses for people failing to perform their jobs.

It's only a small thing, I wasn't relating that to the entire reasons for any problems in performance. Just that it was there as well, they've done episodes out of order before though. But it's not like everyone was acting out of character or anything just that one or two little bits may have been a little off and this may have been why. But still...

Also late Oct isn't really an early renewal, in fact this is approaching the latest that they can be given they've already finished filming season 4. Usually by this stage the first ten episodes have fully aired.
+Quote Post
Raxor
post Oct 26th 2007, 1:20 PM
Post #43

Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 174

Im happy for jewel staite being on the show as i like her tongue.gif
Saying that she could probabbly try to come across a little more competant and interesting.
I like this episode, not the best not the worst ill still tune into this show.
**1/2 this week for me
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Oct 26th 2007, 1:33 PM
Post #44

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

It's good that the writers try to remind us of SG-1's early seasons. It makes stories more tied up together. Combining that with one of the stories from the late seasons made it more interesting. And finally, seeing the team's worst nightmares made the best episode of this season so far.
+Quote Post
jrv
post Oct 26th 2007, 1:58 PM
Post #45

Airman First Class
Group Icon

QUOTE(seymour @ Oct 25th 2007, 1:30 PM) *

I wasn't aware that Stargate Atlantis got picked up for a 5th season. I can't see them being able to produce a good 5th season. I mean they are already struggling with season 4.

I've been a big Stargate fan for a long time and I'm really trying to hang in there with this season of Stargate Atlantis but if they don't pick it up I'm probably going to bail.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Oct 26th 2007, 2:48 PM
Post #46

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(jrv @ Oct 26th 2007, 7:58 PM) *

I wasn't aware that Stargate Atlantis got picked up for a 5th season. I can't see them being able to produce a good 5th season. I mean they are already struggling with season 4.

I've been a big Stargate fan for a long time and I'm really trying to hang in there with this season of Stargate Atlantis but if they don't pick it up I'm probably going to bail.

The begining of the season was all about changes, I've liked it but this was the first proper relaxed episode without having to deal with all the changes. Give it a chance, I think the show is just as good as whenever, but the time needs to be given to see what the overall season will be like. I have promise for it...
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Oct 27th 2007, 2:42 AM
Post #47

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

Guess I forgot to mention that I was sad to see Heitmeyer die. Even if she wasn't around for the ride in many episodes, her character was still awesome. Perhaps some spoiler-readers knew about this before the episode, but the writers are really cruel with doctors lately.

Oh, and another thing I forgot to mention: "I hate clowns". That is Sheppard's worst nightmare? That was so funny. They should have made the clown shake the boat a bit and throw them in the water. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Revan
post Oct 27th 2007, 11:14 AM
Post #48

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Oct 27th 2007, 3:42 AM) *

Guess I forgot to mention that I was sad to see Heitmeyer die. Even if she wasn't around for the ride in many episodes, her character was still awesome. Perhaps some spoiler-readers knew about this before the episode, but the writers are really cruel with doctors lately.

I really didn't expect Heightmeyer to die, and I don't think there were any spoilers about it... TPTB continue to 'shake things up'...
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 31st 2014 - 3:33 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.