post Oct 12th 2007, 6:19 PM
Post #1

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Season 4, Episode 3 - Reunion
Air date: October 12, 2007

Ronon reconnects with a group of Satedans from his past who enlist the help of the Atlantis team on a mission against the Wraith.

Episode Guide | Spoilers | Teaser

(This topic is for people who have seen the episode to discuss it. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read this topic.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Oct 12th 2007, 10:05 PM
Post #2

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,251

I really liked this episode. I was very entertained.
  • I forgot that Mark Dacascas still existed. It was good to see him doing something, even if I didn't like his character, and if I suspected him to be working with the Wraith the whole time.
  • I think it was great the way Rodney opened up. Foremost expert on Ancient tech and replicator activity who else could it be?
  • Its was good to see Teal'c send her off, I didn't expect that at all.
  • Rodney checked Sam out as she walked away... Twice.
  • Sheppard stole his fruit basket...
  • Rodney said, "compared to us, you are amateurs" I thought that was geat.
  • They brought back the leather jackets.
  • Did the Hive ship look like a big walking insect?
  • That replicator was kicking wraith ass, though I suspected
  • Ronan beating his friends down, although I think the wraith will save them.
Next week looks like yet another SG1 story (Just like tonight), which may or may not been a bad thing.
They are making the Satedans into the new Jaffa, with Ronan as the new Teal'c.

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Oct 12th 2007, 10:06 PM
+Quote Post
jrv
post Oct 12th 2007, 10:06 PM
Post #3

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,167

I said it last week and I'll say it again. The writing is really hurting. I saw the double cross coming from the beginning. Probably because this story line was used once before.

The only thing we gained from this episode was learning that the wraith deactivated the replicator attack code. And they didn't even go in depth.

Poor episode.
+Quote Post
Natoma
post Oct 12th 2007, 11:18 PM
Post #4

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,888

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode, and quite frankly have no idea what you guys are talking about with reuse of prior episode storylines. I didn't see the double cross coming and I don't remember any SG-1 episode like this one.

You'll have to jog my memory on this one. smile.gif

And hell, Ronan was a believable character in this one! smile.gif

[EDIT]
Wait, are you two talking about The Warrior?

[EDIT 2]
The fight/training scene between Teyla and Ronan was hilarious.

"You seem distracted today."

"It's nothing."

"Ok, I guess we should continue with the training."

*Whack*

"Owwww!!!!"

*Whack*

"Ok ok!! Stop hitting me!"

laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Natoma: Oct 12th 2007, 11:30 PM
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Oct 13th 2007, 12:15 AM
Post #5

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Yes, specifically the Warrior comes to onan is becoming more like Tealc in general
+Quote Post
Natoma
post Oct 13th 2007, 12:19 AM
Post #6

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,888

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Oct 13th 2007, 1:15 AM) *

Yes, specifically the Warrior comes to onan is becoming more like Tealc in general

All of Sci-Fi rips off other Sci-Fi on some level. There were definitely enough differences here to warrant it's ability to stand on its own two feet as a separate episode.

This post has been edited by Natoma: Oct 13th 2007, 12:19 AM
+Quote Post
Shiegurl
post Oct 13th 2007, 12:46 AM
Post #7

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,554

QUOTE(jrv @ Oct 12th 2007, 10:06 PM) *

I said it last week and I'll say it again. The writing is really hurting. I saw the double cross coming from the beginning. Probably because this story line was used once before.

The only thing we gained from this episode was learning that the wraith deactivated the replicator attack code. And they didn't even go in depth.

Poor episode.

You will find it with any show, star trek done it alot and I have seen stargate do it a few times. They use the same theme/plot just change it slightly.

There is not much left to be original about these days.
+Quote Post
AtlantisLover
post Oct 13th 2007, 3:58 AM
Post #8

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,382

I wasn´t really expecting much from this ep,but I gotta say,it was pretty darn good!It had humour and some great action.Ronan isn't my favorite person on Atlantis(Shepperd all the way),but he's getting more and more like a character,that I may come to love.
+Quote Post
Rogue Ashrak
post Oct 13th 2007, 8:29 AM
Post #9

Hero of Time
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 7,502

QUOTE(jrv @ Oct 13th 2007, 1:06 PM) *

I don't see how the storyline was anything like the Warrior (assuming that was the story line you are referring to). It had a double cross, big deal. That's standard in a lot of stories. Although I must say I did see it coming too, but that's more of an instinct thing. Sometimes you can just tell where a story has to go in order for it to be worth watching.

What depth? They deactivated the code. What more is there to be said? Is Professor Wraith supposed to be running a lecture on exactly how they developed the program?

Personally I thought it was okay ep. Nothing particularly brilliant, although it was nice to see Ronon get some character development in. I have to disagree with those that think Ronon is just the Atlantis version of Teal'c though. Sure there's a few similarities in their character type but thats about it. He has his own distinct background as a runner as opposed to a former servant of the enemy. And he's not helping the Atlantis expedition to free his people...Sateda is pretty much gone except for a few survivors. He just wants to help rid the galaxy of the Wraith same as Teyla, the Genii, and god knows who else.

This post has been edited by Rogue Ashrak: Oct 13th 2007, 8:36 AM
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Oct 13th 2007, 8:36 AM
Post #10

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,411

I thought this was okay, but I really wasn't expecting anything else, to be honest. I liked the Teal'c/Sam scene, very sweet and I'm glad they included that. My on-screen TV guide listed CJ in the cast so I did wonder what was coming off.
I also liked Sam standing up for herself, especially her scene with Ronan when she told him she wasn't Dr. Weir.
I was distracted by the one bad Sateda guy though, I kept thinking he was the guy from Iron Chef America. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Sylver
post Oct 13th 2007, 8:46 AM
Post #11

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,115

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Oct 12th 2007, 11:05 PM) *

[*]Its was good to see Teal'c send her off, I didn't expect that at all.
[*]Rodney checked Sam out as she walked away... Twice.
[*]Sheppard stole his fruit basket...
[*]They brought back the leather jackets.
[/list]Next week looks like yet another SG1 story (Just like tonight), which may or may not been a bad thing.
They are making the Satedans into the new Jaffa, with Ronan as the new Teal'c.

I have to agree with this list, but wasn't surprised about Sheppard stealing the fruit basket. And Rodney's unrequited lust for Sam is always entertaining. I'm glad they brought back the leather jackets, for a while I thought they were going to make Teyla into their one-woman fashion show. The Teal'c/Sam scene was touching, the perfect way to cross her over.

As for Ronan, it's about time they made him into more than the grunting shooter of the group. I loved how he sent his Atlantis team off into the great-unknown Hive-thingy, but ran to them the first sign of trouble. Really showed how he'd changed since his introduction and how much he cared for his 'new' team.

OK, OK, I knew his friends were going to betray him, but it was well done - it showed that aforementioned depth. The reasoning? Eh.

Loved Sam in this, small roll though she had. The fact she went on this rescue op showed the drastic differences between she and Weir. (I'm curious; did Weir ever shoot a gun?) And the banter between she and Ronan went, I think, a long way towards cementing a working relationship between the two. But then she has had 10 years with Teal'c, the King of Indeeds.
+Quote Post
drusie
post Oct 13th 2007, 8:47 AM
Post #12

Civilian
Group Icon

Group: New Members
Member No.: 15,411

The episode was alright but way too predictable. I think the fight between the Satedans and Ronon's "lets go home" line made it just that much better than it had any right to be. I was entertained in the end which is all I'm asking for.
+Quote Post
Rogue Ashrak
post Oct 13th 2007, 8:48 AM
Post #13

Hero of Time
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,502

QUOTE(wonderland @ Oct 13th 2007, 11:36 PM) *

I was distracted by the one bad Sateda guy though, I kept thinking he was the guy from Iron Chef America. biggrin.gif

That's because he was 1.gif It's Mark Dacascos.

(I should point out I've never actually seen Iron Chef, I only know this from looking at the episode page on Gateworld ohmy.gif.
I'm going to wash out my eyes now)

This post has been edited by Rogue Ashrak: Oct 13th 2007, 9:05 AM
+Quote Post
Revan
post Oct 13th 2007, 9:01 AM
Post #14

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

I really liked this episode.

The Wraith dome thingy was interesting.

As soon as Satedan#1 confronted Teyla in the bar I suspected he was working for the Wraith. I did feel rather bad for the girl when the other Satedan slit her throat... though I'm not quite sure why he did it. I wonder if we will get to see #1 again. unsure.gif

I liked the not-so-subtle dialogue between Teal'c and Sam. I think TPTB are getting a bit silly in their old age.

EDIT: I think their new policy of no visitors is a damn good one. And I think Ronon understands it now.
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Oct 13th 2007, 9:16 AM
Post #15

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,411

QUOTE(Rogue Ashrak @ Oct 13th 2007, 9:48 AM) *

That's because he was 1.gif It's Mark Dacascos.

(I should point out I've never actually seen Iron Chef, I only know this from looking at the episode page on Gateworld ohmy.gif.
I'm going to wash out my eyes now)

I kept waiting for him to shout "Iron Chef" or something! biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Hatshepsut
post Oct 13th 2007, 10:04 AM
Post #16

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,840

Mark Dacascos is from Iron Chef America. If you haven't watched one of the episodes you should, it's not that bad. Really good if you like cooking shows.

Back to SGA.
The only thing I really expected from this episodes was for them not to kill Dacascos. I did want to see him fight a bit more.

As for Carter's send off from SG1 I wanted to see Jack come one and wish her farewell. It might have been corny but damnit, I will always be a Sam/Jack shipper.
+Quote Post
BigusDickus
post Oct 13th 2007, 10:58 AM
Post #17

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,661

Didnt you see the picture she had of jack in her belongings? I thought that was great, really nice touch. I LOVED the episode, is one of my favourite atlantis ones so far. Great humour (fruit basket among others) and some really good action. Liked seeing ronan kick some ass as per usual. Glad to see some more of the wraith for once and not just them turning up in a hive ship.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Oct 13th 2007, 11:24 AM
Post #18

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

I believe Mark Dacascos was in Cradle 2 The Grave
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Oct 13th 2007, 11:41 AM
Post #19

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Rogue Ashrak @ Oct 13th 2007, 8:29 AM) *

I don't see how the storyline was anything like the Warrior (assuming that was the story line you are referring to). It had a double cross, big deal. That's standard in a lot of stories. Although I must say I did see it coming too, but that's more of an instinct thing. Sometimes you can just tell where a story has to go in order for it to be worth watching.

Teal'C is bad ass warrior from an alien race that has come to stay with the people of Earth. He got the chance to work with his people once they demonstrated some strength, and need of his support. He went with them with the hope of standing together as a people only to be betrayed. He then realized who his true friends were. I think that was very similar to what happened to Ronan in this episode, but it wasn't necessarily a terrible thing. It was just noticable.

Earlier I said that hive ship looked like an insect, I meant that the Wraith facility looked like a big insect. Once they got inside, it appeared to be allve in the same manner as the ships.

Mark Dacascos is so much more than the guy from iron chef to me. As a matter of fact, I didnt even know he was on Iron Chef until I read this thread this morning.

QUOTE(drusie @ Oct 13th 2007, 8:47 AM) *

The episode was alright but way too predictable. I think the fight between the Satedans and Ronon's "lets go home" line made it just that much better than it had any right to be. I was entertained in the end which is all I'm asking for.

I didn't notice the let's go home line, but I liked the whole, "Where are you friends"; "They're right here" exchange.

EDIT:
QUOTE(Revan @ Oct 13th 2007, 11:24 AM) *

I believe Mark Dacascos was in Cradle 2 The Grave

He's been in some great B movies. Here's his IMDB.

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Oct 13th 2007, 11:46 AM
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Oct 13th 2007, 2:19 PM
Post #20

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(Revan @ Oct 13th 2007, 3:01 PM) *

EDIT: I think their new policy of no visitors is a damn good one. And I think Ronon understands it now.

Yeah, and damn good that they did it now. Because they'd have been so screwed had they let them know the address of Atlantis. But the fact that they knew Atlantis still exists (ok, they may have been just prodding) but that would indicate that the Wraith who they were in allegiance with knew that Atlantis wasn't destroyed in the Siege 3. So far the only wraith we knew who knew that was Michael. Just a point I just realised. But the security measures I think Ronan would definately understand now, and I think the fact that pretty much every step in the episode that the team and Carter took was in fact the correct one made Ronan trust us all that more. As they were right. I felt that aspect of the episode was done very well.

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Oct 13th 2007, 5:41 PM) *
I didn't notice the let's go home line, but I liked the whole, "Where are you friends"; "They're right here" exchange.

Yeah, that line was the one that stood out more to me. Probably because I wasn't expecting it as much but it was more powerfull imo, the 'let's go home' line the meaning was pretty much gotten accross in 'They're right here' So I think it had less impact, but was still a good line.

But overall, opinion. I really liked it, a good strong episode with very little complaints (well, none really, although Teal'c voice seemed a lot deeper then normal but I know that may have just been me) But every aspect of the episode was given depth, it added to the show and made the characters seem more 'real' if you get me. Like they have real lives not just when we're seeing them in episodes. The approaches the characters took to each of the situations though I felt was good and it was good to see Rodney assume he'd get command. As he soo would. And Sheppards bit with the fruit was good to, see it's these little character touches that make you really believe them. But it was a good episode imo, the standard most episodes should be. Even if there are better episodes (not saying this was bad, it wasn't) if each episode has this standard to it then we're in for a very good season. Looking forward to Doppleganger.

I loved Mckays 'I'm not single' drop-in-the-middle-of-a-sentence bit as well laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Oct 13th 2007, 2:41 PM
+Quote Post
fan_83
post Oct 13th 2007, 9:05 PM
Post #21

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,930

i loved the fact that sam has a pic of jack when he was in the beginning of sg1.. prob season 3-4.. he still doesn;t have as much lines in teh faces yet..

but still its kinda weird for a single girl to have a pic of an unattached guy to bring to a whole new galaxy.. tongue.gif

also love the part where radik was scared when rodney thought he was chosen..
+Quote Post
Revan
post Oct 13th 2007, 9:19 PM
Post #22

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

They seemed to shoot Chris Judge in such a way that downplayed his presence... like they focused on Sam.

It looks like Cam, Teal'c, Daniel and Vala will be SG-1 from now on, since Carter got promoted and transfered.

EDIT: I definitely had to laugh at the beginning when they mistook Teyla for a bride of some sort. And I liked that they used her character in this episode... it was like she had a past, and used it to give advice.
+Quote Post
stalker0
post Oct 14th 2007, 1:57 AM
Post #23

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,718

While this episode wasn't super amazing or anything, I really enjoyed it.

First of all, I can honestly say this is the first episode in the entire series in which I liked Ronin. From the start, he's just been this superhero guy who has little emotion and just kills everything. The lastime they tried to give him some development (on the sateda homeworld) he just turned into a frenzied lunatic that killed everyone.

This episode, he finally showed some real emotion and depth along with the awesome fighting and killing:)

Jack's picture in Sam's belonging was a wonderful touch. I'm a big Jack/Sam shipper, but I completely understand that not everyone is into it, and it detracts from the story for some. But these kind of touches are perfect, it keeps the fire burning for us shippers but doesn't take up any real airtime away from the main plot. I hope they keep those kinds of effects through the season.

The one thing I didn't like in the episode was some of the Sam/Teal'C moment. It was great to see, but the way they talked about ten years, and Teal'c just went along with it, but it has been over 50 or so years for him, and that didn't come up at all.

They could have done something like this:
Sam: Its been a good ten years.
Teal'C: Longer....in fact.
Sam: (sad expression for Teal'C).

Just a little reminder that Teal'C is now an old man, and has seen a LOT!!!

This post has been edited by stalker0: Oct 14th 2007, 2:00 AM
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Oct 14th 2007, 3:07 AM
Post #24

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,622

I have to admit I liked this episode, repeat of stuff from SG1 or not, I liked it.

I liked how they were able to segue Sam into the leadership role of Atlantis. I liked the Sam and Teal'c scene sending her off. I liked that Sam told Shep she doesn't want to leave Weir behind, give me a plan that has a chance of working and we'll do it, but she's not sending them on a suicide mission. I also liked that Sam took part in the rescue mission. Did you notice, that she took her role from Shep in that? At least that is what it appeared to me. She was willing to let Shep lead the team.

I liked that we saw some people from Sateda for Ronon. Of course, it was rather obvious that they would betray them. When the leader guy showed up, I said, "why does he look so familiar?" My husband said, "he looks like the guy from Iron Chef America." And I said, "yep that is who he is."

Ronon may have told Shep that after this mission I'm going with my people, but as soon as there was gunfire, Ronon took off to save "his family."

Yes, Rodney got a beatdown, finally. He was so positive that he would be picked as the leader and yet Sam was. I was hoping for that. Rodney needs to know that he is not the all-knowing, all-seeing guy. He needs to know that others are as smart if not smarter. He needs to know that others can fix things just as he can. It was long overdue.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 30th 2014 - 1:12 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.