Rating  4
ancient01
post Oct 7th 2007, 10:35 AM
Post #25

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,239

I only saw the official release, so I didn't go into it with the bias. I enjoyed it. I like the suspense. Quite frankly I bought it. If you're given the opportunity to make two enemies fight amonst themselves, why not take it? I figured they would be leaving Rodney and Elizabeth in the jumper so that if things went badly, they could just head out of there without Sheppard and Ronan.

As far as Sam's introduction, I think they'll bring her in full force in the next episode or two. This was still all about finishing last season and getting rid of Weir. Now that that has happened, Sam can step in and do what she needs to.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Oct 7th 2007, 10:40 AM
Post #26

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

Why would you watch an early version of the episode with no sound or anything before you've seen part 1? I just don't get it.

Anyway, yeah it was a bit Daniel Replicarter, but hey ho. I thought the loss of Elizabeth could have been handled better, but oh well it was still a good episode imo. And that night sky at the end was beautiful, I liked that smile.gif Also why does the ZPM seem to do down in power so quickly, isn't it supposed to be close to unlimiting?

Oh and both lifeline and dopplegangers were released accidentaly. Although Dopplegangers through itunes.
+Quote Post
dr lee
post Oct 7th 2007, 11:05 AM
Post #27

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,109

Looks like only three of us liked this one. Yeah it wasn't as good as Adrift, but i enjoyed it.

I liked the fact that, even though it was a bit like Danny and the Replicarter, Wier was able to pwn Oberoth. Loved the smirk McKay gave before the illusion was revealed. cool.gif

Yeah it was kinda 'good timeing' that the Apollo suddenly appeared in the right area of space at the right time, i'd have liked to have heard maybe a one liner about finding Atlantis and being sent to help the PJ by Teyla.

For me it was a 6/10.

*Sits back and waits for the astonished comments that i thought it was worthy of that marking*

Roll on next week
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Oct 7th 2007, 12:03 PM
Post #28

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(Rogue Ashrak @ Oct 7th 2007, 3:14 AM) *

Well yeah, but I think that was because the Asurans chosenot to activate that command. In Progeny Oberoth mentioned that they already had a plan for dealing with the Wraith, they just weren't ready to implement it yet. It's possible there was a reason they wern't ready to move against the Wraith at that time, and by forcing the Asurans to move against them prematurely, problems will be caused.

THat was a lie. The team even speculated that there was no plan. There couldn't have been a plan, because the part of their code that makes them attack the Wraith was dormat.

EDIT: There could have been a plan, but they would never have acted on it because they couldn't change their basecode.

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Oct 7th 2007, 10:40 AM) *

Anyway, yeah it was a bit Daniel Replicarter, but hey ho. I thought the loss of Elizabeth could have been handled better, but oh well it was still a good episode imo. And that night sky at the end was beautiful, I liked that smile.gif Also why does the ZPM seem to do down in power so quickly, isn't it supposed to be close to unlimiting?

The power in the ZPM is not ever close to unlimited. It's just way more than anything we have on Earth. It really takes 3 of them to run Atlantis.

QUOTE(dr lee @ Oct 7th 2007, 11:05 AM) *

Yeah it was kinda 'good timeing' that the Apollo suddenly appeared in the right area of space at the right time, i'd have liked to have heard maybe a one liner about finding Atlantis and being sent to help the PJ by Teyla.

There was a one liner. Sam says, "We would have gotten here earlier but we had a little trouble finding Atlantis."
+Quote Post
dr lee
post Oct 7th 2007, 12:14 PM
Post #29

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,109

There was a one liner. Sam says, "We would have gotten here earlier but we had a little trouble finding Atlantis."

D'OH!

+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Oct 7th 2007, 12:27 PM
Post #30

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,443

I can't wait to watch the actual episode i've watched clips on youtube (without effects and with)
and I can't wait It looks cool. only one more day before I can watch adrift on sky bow.gif cloud9.gif 1.gif
+Quote Post
Parmenides
post Oct 7th 2007, 12:59 PM
Post #31

Birds ate his face.
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 6,770

McKay is annoying the hell out of me. I was hoping they'd tone him down this season (after the events of Tao of Rodney), but he seems to have in fact been toned up. Every single time he's asked a question these days, he comes back with a snarky quip. Yeah, for the start of this season he's been under constant pressure, but it's just been annoying me.

Weir. sad.gif I'd heard inklings of the spoilers that she was vanishing (and her absence from the opening credits wasn't a good sign), but wasn't sure of exactly what happened. It was quite a powerful few scenes, her standing up to Oberoth and making sure the rest of the team got away...but I don't see why she had to be written out in the first place. I just hope she doesn't become the next Ford.

Bonus missions, for the lose.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Oct 7th 2007, 1:17 PM
Post #32

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Parmenides @ Oct 7th 2007, 6:59 PM) *

McKay is annoying the hell out of me. I was hoping they'd tone him down this season (after the events of Tao of Rodney), but he seems to have in fact been toned up. Every single time he's asked a question these days, he comes back with a snarky quip. Yeah, for the start of this season he's been under constant pressure, but it's just been annoying me.

Weir. sad.gif I'd heard inklings of the spoilers that she was vanishing (and her absence from the opening credits wasn't a good sign), but wasn't sure of exactly what happened. It was quite a powerful few scenes, her standing up to Oberoth and making sure the rest of the team got away...but I don't see why she had to be written out in the first place. I just hope she doesn't become the next Ford.

Bonus missions, for the lose.

To be honest I think they are doing a 'Ford' for her, become or become affected by alien stuff and then seperate from the team? Sounds very Fordy really, I knew she was leaving but still, I think something more conclusive should have happened rather then it seem like they're getting her back next episode. Which this did. But eh well, will be good to see what they do with her next time she comes back, I sense maybe her becoming a bad guy biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Oct 7th 2007, 1:19 PM
+Quote Post
Revan
post Oct 7th 2007, 1:30 PM
Post #33

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(dr lee @ Oct 7th 2007, 12:05 PM) *

Looks like only three of us liked this one. Yeah it wasn't as good as Adrift, but i enjoyed it.

I liked the fact that, even though it was a bit like Danny and the Replicarter, Wier was able to pwn Oberoth. Loved the smirk McKay gave before the illusion was revealed. cool.gif

For me it was a 6/10.

*Sits back and waits for the astonished comments that i thought it was worthy of that marking*

Roll on next week

Well they all smiled, not just Illusion McKay.

The Apollo's arrival was not accidental. The Apollo found Atlantis, and then Atlantis sent them to assist Sheppard with his mission, prob because he was overdue. They wouldn't have been there otherwise, especially since they had just been there, bombing the planet.

I liked this episode. Didn't have a problem that it may have been a minor re-hash.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Oct 7th 2007, 1:43 PM
Post #34

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Oct 7th 2007, 1:30 PM) *

Well they all smiled, not just Illusion McKay.

The Apollo's arrival was not accidental. The Apollo found Atlantis, and then Atlantis sent them to assist Sheppard with his mission, prob because he was overdue. They wouldn't have been there otherwise, especially since they had just been there, bombing the planet.
I liked this episode. Didn't have a problem that it may have been a minor re-hash.

Speaking of having just bombed the planet, did they use Nuclear weapons to bomb then in first strike? And if so, was it really safe for the team to go there?
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Oct 7th 2007, 1:50 PM
Post #35

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Oct 7th 2007, 7:43 PM) *

Speaking of having just bombed the planet, did they use Nuclear weapons to bomb then in first strike? And if so, was it really safe for the team to go there?

It's possible they went somewhere on the planet where they knew they hadn't bombed or would be affected. They only bombed where they were building the ships.

Also, that's a good point. If they blew up all of their ships what did they send to the wraith planet at the end of this episode? Probably just worse ones...
+Quote Post
Revan
post Oct 7th 2007, 2:26 PM
Post #36

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Oct 7th 2007, 2:50 PM) *

It's possible they went somewhere on the planet where they knew they hadn't bombed or would be affected. They only bombed where they were building the ships.

Also, that's a good point. If they blew up all of their ships what did they send to the wraith planet at the end of this episode? Probably just worse ones...

Well Earth has a huge population to subdue and a weapons platform in Antarctica. The Wraith probably won't be as difficult to overcome.

Also... the Asurans may have found out about the Ori.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Oct 7th 2007, 2:47 PM
Post #37

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Oct 7th 2007, 8:26 PM) *

Well Earth has a huge population to subdue and a weapons platform in Antarctica. The Wraith probably won't be as difficult to overcome.

Also... the Asurans may have found out about the Ori.

To be honest I was never as convinced that they were going to use those ships to bomb earth, I mean why would they? There are loads of humans in this galaxy they may as well bomb first. I suppose they may have wanted to neutralise our weapon but still. Them knowing about the Ori (which they would have learned from Jack) could be more plausible imo.
+Quote Post
BigusDickus
post Oct 7th 2007, 3:16 PM
Post #38

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,661

I agree, i always knew bombing them was a bad idea, for all we know they were implementing their plans to attack the wraith and then we attacked them and they changed their focus onto us. Did seem silly that they needed all those ships to destroy atlantis when their satalite weapon could have easily done the job.
+Quote Post
Rogue Ashrak
post Oct 7th 2007, 3:53 PM
Post #39

Hero of Time
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,502

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Oct 8th 2007, 3:03 AM) *

THat was a lie. The team even speculated that there was no plan.

Oh? I don't remember that. I'll have to go back and re-read the transcript. Unless you already have the quote.

There couldn't have been a plan, because the part of their code that makes them attack the Wraith was dormat.
EDIT: There could have been a plan, but they would never have acted on it because they couldn't change their basecode.

Their original basecode had them programmed to attack the Wraith, and I'm gussing that's what they were doing albeit on a slow scale with their "plan". Didn't McKay's fiddling with their basecode allow them the ability to mess with it on their own from then on? And that's how they were able to reprogram themselves to allow them to attack the Ancients in The Return? Maybe that's when the attack command was made dormant, they did it to themselves.

...Which begs the question, why don't they just change it back? huh.gif
+Quote Post
replicant
post Oct 7th 2007, 6:42 PM
Post #40

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,783

I thought the ep was great. I was surprised that carter didn't take command of Atlantis at the end of the ep. SO is Carter going to be in command or are they going to leave Sheppard in command. I can't wait to find out how it is all going to be resolved.
+Quote Post
J&S4Ever
post Oct 7th 2007, 8:12 PM
Post #41

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,176

Ok i guess the writers gave it their all in the first episode. I'm guessing that they are having the Asurans fight the Wraith for a reason later on in the season and I hope its something as interesting as what I am thinking, but as for this second episode. I was expecting something more from Carter in this episode, but I guess the transition from Weir to Carter had to be smooth. I was really disappointed in this second episode, but since Galactica wont start till after Thanksgiving and there is no more SG-1, I'll have to see how this season develops. Especially since everything else on Sci-Fi really sucks at the moment.

This post has been edited by J&S4Ever: Oct 7th 2007, 8:14 PM
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Oct 8th 2007, 1:51 AM
Post #42

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Rogue Ashrak @ Oct 7th 2007, 3:53 PM) *

Oh? I don't remember that. I'll have to go back and re-read the transcript. Unless you already have the quote.

Their original basecode had them programmed to attack the Wraith, and I'm gussing that's what they were doing albeit on a slow scale with their "plan". Didn't McKay's fiddling with their basecode allow them the ability to mess with it on their own from then on? And that's how they were able to reprogram themselves to allow them to attack the Ancients in The Return? Maybe that's when the attack command was made dormant, they did it to themselves.

...Which begs the question, why don't they just change it back? huh.gif

Rodney specifically calls it a "Command code that directs them to attack the Wraith". Then he said that it was deactivated. So I put those two statements together. The command code taht directs the Asurans to attack the Wraith was deactivated. Which means that they weren't directed to attacked the Wraith. Dormant code is essentially non existant. Its like a spoiler tag around the code.

I don't think that they actually made the code dormant, because the Asurans started attacking the Wraith hours after the code was activated. If it were activiated thousands of years ago, what was stopping them?

And, Oberoth said they had a plan before McKay had tampered witht he code.

EDIT: I will try to get that quote for you.

EDIT: Niam actually says, "The Wraith do not concern us"

EDIT2: Teyla: I feel they are hiding something.
Weir: Other than their plan to defeat the Wraith.
Ronan: There's no plan.
Weir: No, I don't think so either.

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Oct 8th 2007, 2:03 AM
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Oct 8th 2007, 5:37 AM
Post #43

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Oct 8th 2007, 7:51 AM) *

Rodney specifically calls it a "Command code that directs them to attack the Wraith". Then he said that it was deactivated. So I put those two statements together. The command code taht directs the Asurans to attack the Wraith was deactivated. Which means that they weren't directed to attacked the Wraith. Dormant code is essentially non existant. Its like a spoiler tag around the code.

I don't think that they actually made the code dormant, because the Asurans started attacking the Wraith hours after the code was activated. If it were activiated thousands of years ago, what was stopping them?
And, Oberoth said they had a plan before McKay had tampered witht he code.

EDIT: I will try to get that quote for you.

EDIT: Niam actually says, "The Wraith do not concern us"

I don't think there was a plan either but if they did have a plan back then as a way of suppressing the
directive they could have set the date of the attack to a million yrs in the future or some silly number like that.so that they didn't have to attack now. also I 've been reading something about a totally different subject and seeing as how there are a lot of scientific people on this site could one of you please explain
in simple terms what is Faraday's theoretical limit?
+Quote Post
Rogue Ashrak
post Oct 8th 2007, 7:03 AM
Post #44

Hero of Time
Group Icon

QUOTE(lancelot2 @ Oct 8th 2007, 8:37 PM) *

I don't think there was a plan either but if they did have a plan back then as a way of suppressing the
directive they could have set the date of the attack to a million yrs in the future or some silly number like that.so that they didn't have to attack now.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Or it may have been something like "Find a way to kill all humans at once and have Wraith starve to death"

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Oct 8th 2007, 4:51 PM) *

I just re-watched Progeny again, and whilst it was clear that the Ancients designed the Asurans to take on the Wraith, I don't think they mentioned actually activating a Wraith attack command, so you're right it was probably dormant from the get-go. The Ancients were probably going to flip the switch when they felt that the Asurans were ready to be used as a weapon...which never happened. Instead the Ancients decided the experiment was a failure and tried to bomb the Asurans out of existence instead.

As to the existence of a plan to deal with the Wraith though:

Niam actually says, "The Wraith do not concern us"

That doesn't neccesarily mean that mean that the Asurans wern't planning to take on the Wraith, it could easilly mean that they just don't consider the Wraith a threat to them. Especially since when Oberoth came out with his "we have a plan" thing afterwards, neither the team or Niam point out any contradiction.

And that's really just speculation, you can't assume there was no plan based on that. As Rodney said right after, why would they mention they had a plan if they didn't have a plan? There was no reason for Oberoth to lie.

If we take Oberoth at face value, and assume there was a plan that the Asurans were going to implement whenever the hell they felt like it, then we now see the Asurans moving before they were ready. I still think that might cause hassles for the Asurans. Although, like I said before, we know the Asurans have the ability to mess with their own base code now, so why don't they just reverse McKay's attack command?

This post has been edited by Rogue Ashrak: Oct 8th 2007, 7:07 AM
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Oct 8th 2007, 11:42 AM
Post #45

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

It was the speculation of the main characters, so it means more than my speculation.

It was the speculation of the main characters, so it means more than my speculation.
+Quote Post
lancelot2
post Oct 8th 2007, 12:04 PM
Post #46

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Rogue Ashrak @ Oct 8th 2007, 1:03 PM) *

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Or it may have been something like "Find a way to kill all humans at once and have Wraith starve to death"
I just re-watched Progeny again, and whilst it was clear that the Ancients designed the Asurans to take on the Wraith, I don't think they mentioned actually activating a Wraith attack command, so you're right it was probably dormant from the get-go. The Ancients were probably going to flip the switch when they felt that the Asurans were ready to be used as a weapon...which never happened. Instead the Ancients decided the experiment was a failure and tried to bomb the Asurans out of existence instead.

As to the existence of a plan to deal with the Wraith though:
That doesn't neccesarily mean that mean that the Asurans wern't planning to take on the Wraith, it could easilly mean that they just don't consider the Wraith a threat to them. Especially since when Oberoth came out with his "we have a plan" thing afterwards, neither the team or Niam point out any contradiction.
And that's really just speculation, you can't assume there was no plan based on that. As Rodney said right after, why would they mention they had a plan if they didn't have a plan? There was no reason for Oberoth to lie.

If we take Oberoth at face value, and assume there was a plan that the Asurans were going to implement whenever the hell they felt like it, then we now see the Asurans moving before they were ready. I still think that might cause hassles for the Asurans. Although, like I said before, we know the Asurans have the ability to mess with their own base code now, so why don't they just reverse McKay's attack command?

I suppose mckay will have also put steps in place to once again stop the asurans from tampering with their base code.I actually think that the reason that they could change the code after mkcay did the first time was probably something simple like him not closing the narrative parameters of the file so that with it still being open they could change it(I think the measures the ancient put in place was that the asurans couldn't open the file to begin with but once it was open then there would be nothing to prevent them from changing it)
+Quote Post
Rogue Ashrak
post Oct 8th 2007, 3:46 PM
Post #47

Hero of Time
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Oct 9th 2007, 2:42 AM) *

Speculation is still speculation. Just because it came from the main characters doesn't automatically make said speculation true.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Oct 8th 2007, 4:31 PM
Post #48

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,622

QUOTE(Rogue Ashrak @ Oct 8th 2007, 3:46 PM) *

Speculation is still speculation. Just because it came from the main characters doesn't automatically make said speculation true.

Maybe not, but it is logical to assume that the writers had them say it for a reason, unless, M & M are doing the writing. wink.gif
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 25th 2014 - 5:09 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.