Rating  4
Parmenides
post Sep 29th 2007, 6:16 PM
Post #25

Birds ate his face.
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 6,770

Wow, what helpful nanites - they even regrew Weir's shaven hair. Either that, or Kaylee had time to perform a hair graft after the craniectomy...

Bit of a snoresville episode. The problems the team kept encountering seemed to be there just for the sake of causing problems. Shooting their way through the asteroid belt was highly predictable too...and I did not enjoy the "micro asteroid" bullets. They really could just have been left out.

An Asuran homeworld invasion? Call me cynical, but I'm not really sure how successful that'll be in one (minorly) souped up PJ.

Not really the best start to the season. Hopefully things will get better, and the Asurans won't be featured as prominently as I fear they will be.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Sep 29th 2007, 6:27 PM
Post #26

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(Parmenides @ Sep 30th 2007, 12:16 AM) *

Wow, what helpful nanites - they even regrew Weir's shaven hair. Either that, or Kaylee had time to perform a hair graft after the craniectomy...

Yeah, I was dissaapointed by that. I was hoping her hair would stay gone as it would make her injury more 'real' I guess. But I'm sure plotwise they will make consequences of what they do, they'd better smile.gif
+Quote Post
lonejedi75
post Sep 29th 2007, 6:41 PM
Post #27

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,983

I thought it was an ok ep. BUT

The problem I had with it was how Colonel Carter and Colonel Ellis where able to talk to each other from the Pegasus to the midway station. I mean how can they when the Stargate bridge works with people jumping from one Stargate to another. dry.gif

The way I under stand it, is you go though the gate and get held in the buffer of the next gate. the worm hole shuts down and starts all over again until you get to the midway.
+Quote Post
deadulus101
post Sep 29th 2007, 7:23 PM
Post #28

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,157

maybe they were using long-range communication arrays like the ones they got from the asgard or something else other than the gate. Remember in that one ep. Sunday; when they could communicate messages from earth to atlantis using the deadulus as a midpoint. Maybe the same principle applies here. just a shorter distance. In this case they are going from the middle of two galaxies to a ship in the closest galaxy instead of talking two whole galaxies apart.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Sep 29th 2007, 7:38 PM
Post #29

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,622

I wasn't jumping up and down about this episode. But it was good, simply because I have been dying for some SG universe.

Okay, I was willing to give the new doctor some time, but nope, don't care for her. I agree with whoever said it, she's too young and too unsure about what to do. I know I may be a bit more picky about it because Beckett was my favorite, but I think she was a mistake as his replacement.

Okay, having a problem or one major problem is one thing, but problem after problem, give me a break. I did like Zelenka and McKay finishing each other's thoughts and sentences, that was a nice touch and showed that they have gotten together as a team. For once, Rodney wasn't putting Zelenka down. Rodney looked to Zelenka to help solve the problems.

I agree with what Shep said, Elizabeth would not have wanted this. Once again, McKay was way out of line doing what Shep told him not to do. But that is Rodney, he will do what he wants, no matter what. Hopefully with the advent of Sam, that will be curtailed a bit. I believe Sam will lead Atlantis, but Shep might have been able to do it. Now he will be the military leader, I assume.

I did like the introduction of Sam in the Pegasus Galaxy. It was just the right touch for the first show. It was a cameo and nothing more.

Still not enamored with Teyla, sorry. Yeah, she spoke more, but big deal. I just don't care for her and I doubt I will this season even if they are giving her a storyline.

I did like Ronon's scene witht he comatose Elizabeth. That definitely showed Ronon's softer side.

Oh and I was thrilled to find out that there are 20 people on Atlantis that have the ancient gene. We all have speculated on that in different threads. It's nice to know for sure. Also, I liked the fact that it wasn't all males. There were females as well. That whole puddle jumper/asteriod fight was very well done and a great idea by Sheppard. It was even nice to see Rodney man a jumper.

Anyway, the show was good enough to keep me watching again. smile.gif
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Sep 29th 2007, 7:57 PM
Post #30

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,411

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Sep 29th 2007, 8:38 PM) *

I agree with whoever said it, she's too young and too unsure about what to do. I know I may be a bit more picky about it because Beckett was my favorite, but I think she was a mistake as his replacement.

Raises my hand, that would be me. I liked this actress on 'Firefly' but I thought she was wrong all the way through this episode.

I did like Ronon's scene witht he comatose Elizabeth. That definitely showed Ronon's softer side.

I was so disappointed with the lack of a John/Elizabeth scene.

I wasn't jumping up and down about this episode. But it was good, simply because I have been dying for some SG universe.
Anyway, the show was good enough to keep me watching again. smile.gif

I may give it a couple of more tries, but if there's no improvement, that won't be enough to bring me back.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Sep 29th 2007, 8:03 PM
Post #31

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(wonderland @ Sep 29th 2007, 7:57 PM) *

Raises my hand, that would be me. I liked this actress on 'Firefly' but I thought she was wrong all the way through this episode.
I was so disappointed with the lack of a John/Elizabeth scene.
I may give it a couple of more tries, but if there's no improvement, that won't be enough to bring me back.

I also liked the actress on Firefly and in Serenity, but she just doesn't work here.

As far as John/Elizabeth, I think we got a taste of what he was feeling when he was just standing there and looking at her. He knew that he had to be strong. He had to make the tough decisions. So I think it was a good character development that he didn't just breakdown and just worry about her. As the appointed leader now, he had other things to think about.

Well I want to see what they will do with Sam. She's why I'm continuing to watch. I love Samantha Carter and I want to see what they do with her. But yes, a few more and it may not be enough for me either.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Sep 30th 2007, 3:21 AM
Post #32

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(Pitry @ Sep 29th 2007, 3:28 PM) *

It dind't help that there were barely any jokes - most of Stargate's bad episodes are forgivable when tehre's enough entertaining material in them. And to be perfectly honest - it could be the directiong/ editting/ rushed pace of the episode or whatever, but I dind't even feel any particular effort from the actors' part, it felt like they were standing there, saying their lines.

Could it be because you watched the episode without any of the background music/noises edited in?

QUOTE(deadulus101 @ Sep 29th 2007, 7:23 PM) *

maybe they were using long-range communication arrays like the ones they got from the asgard or something else other than the gate. Remember in that one ep. Sunday; when they could communicate messages from earth to atlantis using the deadulus as a midpoint. Maybe the same principle applies here. just a shorter distance. In this case they are going from the middle of two galaxies to a ship in the closest galaxy instead of talking two whole galaxies apart.

They weren't using the ship as a mid point. The gatebridge has been discussed in depth there.

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Sep 29th 2007, 7:38 PM) *

Okay, I was willing to give the new doctor some time, but nope, don't care for her. I agree with whoever said it, she's too young and too unsure about what to do. I know I may be a bit more picky about it because Beckett was my favorite, but I think she was a mistake as his replacement.

Oh how quickly we forget. Beckett was unsure of himself from day 1. Remember rising? He showed confidence sometimes, but he acted unsure of himself far more often

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Sep 30th 2007, 3:29 AM
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Sep 30th 2007, 4:48 AM
Post #33

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Sep 30th 2007, 3:21 AM) *

Oh how quickly we forget. Beckett was unsure of himself from day 1. Remember rising? He showed confidence sometimes, but he acted unsure of himself far more often

Beckett was unsure of the situation because he had no one else to confer with, but he had the medical knowledge. I just didn't buy that she had the medical knowledge, no matter what they had her say and do. The actress is just plain too young for the role. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Sep 30th 2007, 5:03 AM
Post #34

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 745

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Sep 30th 2007, 10:21 AM) *

Could it be because you watched the episode without any of the background music/noises edited in?

No, as this "review" of mine is from watching the finished, compelted, aired episode. With hte background music.
Sides, you know what? I was never that impressed or touched by Stargate's music. They've had some beautiful themes/ backgrounds, most notably Meridian and the Orii but a bit of others, but all in all... it's not that impressive and it's not that touching. I've heard incidental music that really adds to the feelings the episode generates, I admit, mainly on Doctor Who, and that's not it.,
Sides, the music would add to what's already there. If there's nothing to work with, it wouldn't matter.
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Sep 30th 2007, 7:15 AM
Post #35

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Sep 30th 2007, 5:48 AM) *

Beckett was unsure of the situation because he had no one else to confer with, but he had the medical knowledge. I just didn't buy that she had the medical knowledge, no matter what they had her say and do. The actress is just plain too young for the role. smile.gif

And Janet Fraiser started out grasping for answers and made some mistakes along the way, example 'Legacy', but she looked like she had the required experience. As did Beckett. When a show casts someone so obviously too young for the role, it invariably looks like they're tarting things up. That, to me, was the main reason Jessica Steen never worked as Elizabeth Weir. She simply looked too young to have amassed her alleged resume.

This post has been edited by wonderland: Sep 30th 2007, 7:17 AM
+Quote Post
Winter_Lady
post Sep 30th 2007, 7:51 AM
Post #36

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,885

The woman playing the new doctor is what? 25? No way she could be experienced enough to be the "top doctor" of Atlantis. Or anywhere else.
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Sep 30th 2007, 8:32 AM
Post #37

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Winter_Lady @ Sep 30th 2007, 8:51 AM) *

The woman playing the new doctor is what? 25? No way she could be experienced enough to be the "top doctor" of Atlantis. Or anywhere else.

Jewel Strait just turned 25 this summer. The problem is, she looks it. Yeah, I know Michael Shanks is four, five years younger than the character he plays on SG-1 but he carried it off. It simply doesn't work here. She in no way looks old enough to have the experience it takes to be a chief medical officer on a base this size.
+Quote Post
BigusDickus
post Sep 30th 2007, 9:54 AM
Post #38

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,661

Wow what a good episode! I thought it was amazing and i canny wait for next weeks episode now!
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Sep 30th 2007, 10:40 AM
Post #39

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Sep 30th 2007, 4:48 AM) *

Maybe I don't see her age as an issue because she's like 9 days older than me.

I hate when I tell people to do stuff at work and they're like, "I've been doing this for longer than you've been alive..." So what? I earned this position regardless of my age.

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Sep 30th 2007, 10:43 AM
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Sep 30th 2007, 11:03 AM
Post #40

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Sep 30th 2007, 11:40 AM) *

Maybe I don't see her age as an issue because she's like 9 days older than me.

The fact is that no way could a 25 year old have the experience to be the chief medical officer for a command this important. I know we're supposed to suspend our disbelief and all that, but this one is simply too big for me to ignore.
Okay, let's do the math. She gets out of high school at eighteen, four years of college makes her 22, four years of medical school makes her 26 and then there is that pesky 1 or 2 years of residency, which comes out somewhere around 27 or 28. And at 27 or 28 years old, she still has absolutely no field experience. Realistically, she should be mid to late thirties for this to work. For me at least.
+Quote Post
jrv
post Sep 30th 2007, 12:09 PM
Post #41

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,167

QUOTE(wonderland @ Sep 30th 2007, 12:03 PM) *

The fact is that no way could a 25 year old have the experience to be the chief medical officer for a command this important. I know we're supposed to suspend our disbelief and all that, but this one is simply too big for me to ignore.
Okay, let's do the math. She gets out of high school at eighteen, four years of college makes her 22, four years of medical school makes her 26 and then there is that pesky 1 or 2 years of residency, which comes out somewhere around 27 or 28. And at 27 or 28 years old, she still has absolutely no field experience. Realistically, she should be mid to late thirties for this to work. For me at least.

Yep I agree that the new lead doctor looks too young. This is always my biggest problem with actors no matter what show or movie. I hate when they just cast someone who is too young. I'm glad you did the math because if she is 25 she should still be in medical school. Even if they fudge her age a bit on the show she still doesn't get to be old enough to have a lead medical position on one of the biggest missions in man's history.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Sep 30th 2007, 12:28 PM
Post #42

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(wonderland @ Sep 30th 2007, 11:03 AM) *

Well, lots of people in Atlantis are exceptional individuals. Rediculously intelligent, and until they give us more of the doctor's background, who are we to say that she isn't a genius that graduated form highschool way early and breezed through medical school a la Doogie Houser?
+Quote Post
jrv
post Sep 30th 2007, 12:34 PM
Post #43

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,167

I know it is a sci fi show but that is a jump I'm not willing to make. Too convenient for the show. Can't give them a pass like that. They should have took the time to find a good mature actor.
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Sep 30th 2007, 12:39 PM
Post #44

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Sep 30th 2007, 1:28 PM) *

Well, lots of people in Atlantis are exceptional individuals. Rediculously intelligent, and until they give us more of the doctor's background, who are we to say that she isn't a genius that graduated form highschool way early and breezed through medical school a la Doogie Houser?

Okay, say I give her four years for being a genius, gets her out of med school at 22. At 25, she still only has 3 years field experience? Wouldn't want her doing brain surgery on me.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Sep 30th 2007, 1:53 PM
Post #45

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(wonderland @ Sep 30th 2007, 12:39 PM) *

Okay, say I give her four years for being a genius, gets her out of med school at 22. At 25, she still only has 3 years field experience? Wouldn't want her doing brain surgery on me.

I would, if she's the best person for the job regardless of her age. If I had a choice between two doctors I'm not gonna just go with the older one, I'm gonna go with the one that I feel is most qualified.

I know it's just the show and everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I go through this SOOOO much at work, being young and in a lot of cases, my mother is younger than a lot of my coworkers. They don't want to give you respect because of the age/experience difference. Then I have to come back and do their job over because it shoulda been done by me or done my way in the first place.

I am not ready do discount the doctor because she looks young, and definitly not because she seemed timid, since we know how timid Beckett appeared at times.
+Quote Post
fan_83
post Sep 30th 2007, 3:17 PM
Post #46

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,930

ok.. i love the part where mckay is moaning about one problem after another.

regarding the doc comment... remember that the ones that are picked are the best of the best.. meaning most if not all of the staff are genius level... also remember from last season,.. she herself is asking to be replaced..
and that weir wants her there.. and no matter her experience.. weir is the one who is making the decisions.. also note the fact that they are at pegasus galaxy.. even if the brass overrulle weir, it would still take more time then they have to get someone to replace the doc..

+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Sep 30th 2007, 6:52 PM
Post #47

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(wonderland @ Sep 30th 2007, 7:15 AM) *

And Janet Fraiser started out grasping for answers and made some mistakes along the way, example 'Legacy', but she looked like she had the required experience. As did Beckett. When a show casts someone so obviously too young for the role, it invariably looks like they're tarting things up. That, to me, was the main reason Jessica Steen never worked as Elizabeth Weir. She simply looked too young to have amassed her alleged resume.

I agree with this statement totally. I think they were looking for someone younger, female because we know what's happening with Teyla this year and they needed someone to replace that. wink.gif
+Quote Post
J&S4Ever
post Sep 30th 2007, 8:43 PM
Post #48

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,176

QUOTE(Natoma @ Sep 28th 2007, 10:19 PM) *

That said, I saw the preview for next week's episode, and I really REALLY wish they'd stop spoiling so much. They pretty much gave the whole damn plot away. mad.gif

That said, next week's episode looks bow.gif

I agree. We pretty much know how they are going to keep Torri Higginson as a recurring character.

It's always a micometorite that gets them...poor Zelenka!!! I love it how he says "It's better that lying around in the infirmary waiting to die!!"

How does the Apollo manage to dial to the midway station if they Atlantis base is the only one with the crystal in the dialing device that can dial back to earth? Or am i missing something on how the bridge works?

I loved the episode. I've watched it three times already and I keep finding new things to like.
I do miss Beckett though. Why oh Why did they do what they did?????

Can't wait for next week!!!!
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 20th 2014 - 12:54 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.