Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate Atlantis: Spoilers & Speculation

This area is for Atlantis spoilers. There are separate categories for SG-1 Spoilers and Universe Spoilers. Complete forum rules are available here.

Atlantis Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DoppleGanger, RCC spoilers the seaosn 4 epi on Gateworld
dr lee
post Apr 19th 2007, 6:58 AM
Post #1

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,109

Linky

The upcoming Stargate Atlantis thriller "Doppelganger" will see an alien entity invade the team's minds -- using a familiar form. Executive producer Robert C. Cooper, who also wrote and directed the episode, described the story in an interview with GateWorld.

Beware of minor spoilers below.

"I've always been fascinated by nightmares and dreams," Cooper said. "So that's what this is about. It's about an alien entity that lives in crystal form. I've kind of paid a little homage to 'Cold Lazarus' and said, 'Well, OK -- there's something that we've established in the Stargate universe that we've never really dealt with before. And that is, again, lifeforms can exist in that state.'"

In the first season episode of Stargate SG-1, Jack O'Neill and SG-1 encountered a race of crystal-based beings who had been decimated by the Jaffa. When O'Neill touched one of the crystals he was knocked unconscious and duplicated by one of the beings -- who proceeded to return to Earth with SG-1 in an attempt to heal the colonel's 'pain.'"

"O'Neill went out, touched a crystal and all this stuff happened," Cooper said of the episode. "We've never done that again. And I thought, 'Well, wouldn't it be interesting if we found another crystalline life-form like that.' But in that case we were kind of lucky that it had reasonably good intentions. There was a sinister aspect to it in that we didn't know what was going on, but at the end of the day it was kind of just curious.

"So I took the flip side of that and said, 'What if it's a psychopath? What if it's truly evil?' And it enduces some pretty freaky nightmares."

The entity appears in the dreams of each member of Sheppard's team -- but as a familiar face. "What would our characters dream about? The fun part of the episode is, because it's Sheppard that initially engages and touches the crystal, and thus unleashes the entity on everyone, the physical form it takes in the nightmares is Sheppard. And so everyone is having these nightmares that are being pulled out of them by the entity, but Sheppard is appearing in those dreams as the sort of negative enciting force."

Cooper reached back not only to the first season of Stargate SG-1 in conceiving the story, but to his own childhood as well. "My dad took me to see Jaws when I was seven years old. I was seven. There's a line in the script: one of McKay's histories is that his dad read him 'Moby Dick' when he was seven years old. The line was: 'What was the man thinking?!'"

"I think I probably didn't sleep for two years," Cooper laughed. "Honestly, I probably needed therapy! This was not the sort of thing you did back then, but I probably should have gotten some sort of counseling. But instead I spent my nights thinking to myself, 'One day I shall control the power that left me so terrified!'"

The connections to the classic horror movie "Nightmare on Elm Street" were certainly not lost on the cast and crew. "The joke is in the show," Cooper said. "Sheppard at one point, when it's explained to him, says, 'So are we talking Freddy Krueger here?' And it's him. He also turns to Teyla at one point and says, 'Did I have a goatee?'"

"Doppelganger" will air in the first half of Atlantis's fourth season, which premieres this fall on SCI FI Channel in the United States! Learn more about upcoming episodes in GateWorld's Season Three and Season Four episode guides. Season Three is now airing Fridays at 9 p.m. Eastern/Pacific.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Apr 19th 2007, 11:08 AM
Post #2

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

A familiar form? Is Rob Cooper talking about the crystalline lifeform or the form it will take (possibly one of the episodes where we see Beckett return)?
+Quote Post
dr lee
post Apr 19th 2007, 11:30 AM
Post #3

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,109

I would have thought it was Sheppard himself that the thing copies as it's him that initiates the crystal to become a person/thing/whatever it is. And that this was the evil version of Cold Lazarus.

But...

This would be a brilliant way of bringing back PM and have him play a dark version of Beckett.
+Quote Post
thefirstone
post Apr 19th 2007, 12:38 PM
Post #4

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,686

This looks sweet, I hope it's Beckett. Cold lazarus was a nice episode and its good to see that they can fall back to old storylines and make them better or try to tongue.gif.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Apr 19th 2007, 1:29 PM
Post #5

General
Group Icon

Thinking about it, according to Mallozzi's blog, Paul McGillion is scheduled to appear in three episodes in season 4 and, apparently, the mid season finale (with the title 'This Mortal Coil') is to be his doorway back. At the moment, we don't know where 'Doppleganger' will appear in season 4 but if we are to take Mallozzi's word for it, Beckett may not be the one appearing in this episode.
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post Apr 19th 2007, 2:36 PM
Post #6

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,463

Reading that a couple times, it seems pretty clear that the "familiar form" that the entity takes is Sheppard. It's taking the form in the dream state. Even Sheppard makes a comment about wearing a goatee.

I think folks are reading too much into it, and might be disappointed when they find out Beckett's not even mentioned in the show. (Unless of course he's in one of the dreams.)
+Quote Post
thefirstone
post Apr 20th 2007, 9:42 AM
Post #7

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,686

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Apr 19th 2007, 7:29 PM) *
Thinking about it, according to Mallozzi's blog, Paul McGillion is scheduled to appear in three episodes in season 4 and, apparently, the mid season finale (with the title 'This Mortal Coil') is to be his doorway back. At the moment, we don't know where 'Doppleganger' will appear in season 4 but if we are to take Mallozzi's word for it, Beckett may not be the one appearing in this episode.

Maybe Ford or Niam(or whatever the good guy Asuran's name was) then? I can't think of many familiar faces that they could have used.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Apr 20th 2007, 10:13 AM
Post #8

General
Group Icon

Mallozzi did mention Ford's name in his blog at one point but I can't remember if it was in reference to this episode.
+Quote Post
Lagger
post Apr 21st 2007, 7:32 AM
Post #9

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,349

yay!... more retakes , and episodes remastered from sg1 to sga sad.gif
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Apr 21st 2007, 7:38 AM
Post #10

General
Group Icon

Wiki's guide for Atlantis season 4 says that it is Sheppard who is "copied" but Wiki isn't always a reliable source.
+Quote Post
Winter_Lady
post May 24th 2007, 1:40 PM
Post #11

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,885

I hope it is Sheppard. I would love to see a darker side of him.
+Quote Post
Lancelot
post May 26th 2007, 9:17 AM
Post #12

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,650

QUOTE(Winter_Lady @ May 24th 2007, 7:40 PM) *

I hope it is Sheppard. I would love to see a darker side of him.

after seeing your photo I wouldn't mind seeing any side of you wink.gif

This post has been edited by Lancelot: May 26th 2007, 9:18 AM
+Quote Post
Joda
post May 27th 2007, 1:54 AM
Post #13

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,542

I think it would be more interesting if EVERYONE was the familiar faced dream stalking dark sider.

I mean, ok, it's useful to have one bad guy so people can realise it's an outside influence at work, everyone dreaming about an evil Sheppard trying to give them all the ultimate swirly, yeah, something's going on other than stress causing everyone to have bad dreams.

But if everyone were dreaming about someone/thing different, yet all the dreams causing the same feelings of dread, suffering, pain etc. I think it would be more... I dunno... a word...

For instance, Sheppard dreaming about Ford cause maybe Shep feels he's failed Ford by letting him get away all the time and having to suffer at the hands of the Enzyme. McKay dreaming about Beckett cause he's feeling guilty about not going Fishing THAT day.

Sort of having to deal with your own internal demons, something like that could also serve as a red herring, directing attention away from the 'outside influence' for a time, making everyone think it's psychological rather than a form of attack.

It would also serve the dual purpose of having the team deal with current internal demons, overcoming certain hurdles and challenges, and becoming stonger for it.

Just my tired $0.02 this morning.
+Quote Post
Revan
post May 27th 2007, 3:27 PM
Post #14

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(Lancelot @ May 26th 2007, 10:17 AM) *

after seeing your photo I wouldn't mind seeing any side of you wink.gif

While I may not disagree with you, that is not really very approrpriate, especially not for this thread. Next time, try using Personal Messages to hit on other board members.

Will the nightmares be laid out for all to see, or will they be in each person's head?
+Quote Post
Lancelot
post Jun 2nd 2007, 8:53 AM
Post #15

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ May 27th 2007, 9:27 PM) *

While I may not disagree with you, that is not really very approrpriate, especially not for this thread. Next time, try using Personal Messages to hit on other board members.
Will the nightmares be laid out for all to see, or will they be in each person's head?

sorry mod
but you do have to at least admit she is cute
+Quote Post
AtlantisLover
post Sep 27th 2007, 9:40 AM
Post #16

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,382

I hope that this ep isn´t gpoing to be "cheesy" if you know what I mean.But , I´m not worried at all.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Sep 27th 2007, 8:59 PM
Post #17

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(AtlantisLover @ Sep 27th 2007, 10:40 AM) *

I hope that this ep isn´t gpoing to be "cheesy" if you know what I mean.But , I´m not worried at all.

I don't quite know what you mean...

You mean you hope it won't be a stupid waste of time? huh.gif
+Quote Post
AtlantisLover
post Sep 28th 2007, 3:47 AM
Post #18

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,382

QUOTE(Revan @ Sep 28th 2007, 3:59 AM) *

I don't quite know what you mean...

You mean you hope it won't be a stupid waste of time? huh.gif

No,I mean,exploring nightmares can become really good or become chessy if it is done in a "light" way.What I´m trying to say,id that I hope that the episode is "dark" and not to much comedy.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Sep 28th 2007, 3:15 PM
Post #19

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(AtlantisLover @ Sep 28th 2007, 4:47 AM) *

No,I mean,exploring nightmares can become really good or become chessy if it is done in a "light" way.What I´m trying to say,id that I hope that the episode is "dark" and not to much comedy.

I like dark and deep.

I do hope for some character development... I like a certain richness and quality when exploring dreams in fiction. I like psychology though, so I like it when things make some sense.
+Quote Post
Lancelot
post Sep 28th 2007, 4:17 PM
Post #20

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Sep 28th 2007, 9:15 PM) *

I like dark and deep.

I do hope for some character development... I like a certain richness and quality when exploring dreams in fiction. I like psychology though, so I like it when things make some sense.

I'm not really into the whole dream thing yes it was okay when it was daniel and omagh de sala
but even that one last year the real world,I watched it once and nearly fell asleep myself.
personally I prefer ones to do with the ancients. now that would make for a great spin off one that charts the ancients history from why they left (before they left)the orii galaxy to returning to earth 10,000
years ago. yes I do know that the characters couldn't be constant and you would have to skip a few centuries but it could be done,and well done at that.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Sep 28th 2007, 6:13 PM
Post #21

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lancelot @ Sep 28th 2007, 5:17 PM) *

I'm not really into the whole dream thing yes it was okay when it was daniel and omagh de sala
but even that one last year the real world,I watched it once and nearly fell asleep myself.
personally I prefer ones to do with the ancients. now that would make for a great spin off one that charts the ancients history from why they left (before they left)the orii galaxy to returning to earth 10,000
years ago. yes I do know that the characters couldn't be constant and you would have to skip a few centuries but it could be done,and well done at that.

Thank you for that wonderful trip into you mind... I am so pleased you felt obliged to tell us all of that... of course... Perhaps we should be pleased you decided not to create an entire new thread... dry.gif

When did Daniel dream Oma? He died more than once... his mind was probed, he was on his deathbed... but dreams?
+Quote Post
Lancelot
post Sep 29th 2007, 4:16 AM
Post #22

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Sep 29th 2007, 12:13 AM) *

Thank you for that wonderful trip into you mind... I am so pleased you felt obliged to tell us all of that... of course... Perhaps we should be pleased you decided not to create an entire new thread... dry.gif

When did Daniel dream Oma? He died more than once... his mind was probed, he was on his deathbed... but dreams?

you know what I mean when he saw omagh it was more like a dream sequence than real life it took place in his mind so it was more like a dream than anything else when she appeared when he was dying of radiation poisoning she appeared by the stargate in his mind.
+Quote Post
Winter_Lady
post Oct 1st 2007, 3:12 PM
Post #23

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,885

I hope they make it so the entire episode is a dream. But I agree with what several people here have said. I hope it's a darker episode. Although I love Sheppard when he's funny I think this kind of episode would be better if they did it seriously.
+Quote Post
spookwomann
post Oct 9th 2007, 4:10 PM
Post #24

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,446

wont say what happens but its a good episode

This post has been edited by spookwomann: Oct 9th 2007, 4:11 PM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 22nd 2014 - 9:03 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.