Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate SG-1: Spoilers & Speculation

This area is for SG-1 spoilers. There are separate categories for Atlantis Spoilers and Universe Spoilers. Complete forum rules are available here.

SG-1 Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Ori can't act in the MW,, What about other galaxies?
Opher
post Mar 30th 2007, 6:22 AM
Post #1

Airman Basic

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,030

We know that the Ori can't act in the Milky Way because of the Ancients, i believe they can't act anywhere else outside their own galaxy. I think no reason i gave here can prove on its own that the Ori are restricted to their home galaxy, but togehter they make a good case smile.gif Even so, it's all speculation and should be taken as such. I've underlined the questions so they are easier found.
The first 2 points were also written here and i simply copy-pasted them:

1. After almost two hours of searching the forums, i found that this had been asked before by nerd101 HERE.
Basicaly, in season 10 in "the Shroud", Daniel says the Ori don't feel confident taking on the Ancients just yet, they need more followers. The question is, why do they need the Milky Way followers, this has proven to be quite costly for them in men, priors and ships not to mention the fact that they can't manifest their powers here (if they could, people would be swayed a lot faster than they do now with "just" priors), why not simply create life in some other un-inhabited galaxy? They could, as nerd101 said before, use some growth acceleration method to get a couple of billions humans ready to worship them relativly fast (although even if it takes a couple of hundreds/thousands years it won't matter to them, time is not relevant and, in the end, they would get the energy they need to destroy the Ancients). And why not do this in several galaxies? Perhaps the Ancients would try to stop them but, as far as we know, the Ori didn't even try.
KillerMarv responded here with something i think makes sense:
I guess the Ori had a reason to not seed other galaxies... That would probably consume some of their powers (seeding them with life), and it will probably give the Ancients a reason to interfere. Guess that the Ori seeded their own galaxy with life just prior to their ascension. That would make their power hunger universally legal. 1.gif

2. After learning of Merlin's weapon and the threat it posses, why didn't some of the Ori fan out to 2-3 other galaxies? That way, should Merlin's device get to their home galaxy, they wouldn't all be wiped out and they would have a chance to rise again lateron. They would still be able to drain the energy of followers from other galaxies (they're draining it right now from humans of the MW, a far away galaxy). One could speculate that leaving would undermine the priors (and/or humans) devotion to them, but they risked anihilation. It could also be that they needed to stay together in order to drain the energy, but this has never been said, as far as i know.
KillerMarv said :
it's quite obvious that the Ori underestimated humans, and their ability to locate the weapon. They knew the Ancients won't interfere to help them, and when they saw one of them cheating, they sent Adria over in the same cheating manner. They hoped that Adria would manage to stop humans from ever using the weapon in their home galaxy. And since they couldn't see what was going on in the MW galaxy, because of the Ancients (same way the Ancients can't see anything going on in the Ori galaxy - probably an ascended plain rule they made, or something), the Ori didn't see the weapon being used coming. rolleyes.gif

I think that Adria would have consulted with the Ori before doing anything (by establishing a whormehole and sending a message or something), so i think the Ori must have known the weapon was nearly completed and, more importantly, that it could be a threat to them as well. If i were an Ori, i would have left the galaxy until Adria told me the weapon had been used, just to be sure smile.gif But you could be right, maybe they just under-estimated us cool.gif

3. Concerning the first point, the Ori hunger for power, it is likely they always wanted more followers, even when they were not fighting the Ancients, why haven't they collonised other galaxies, even if (when) thinking the Ancients were dead? Why settle for only one galaxy?

4. If the Ori suddenly realised that they can't "see" a specific galaxy (the MW) (as opposed to everything outside their galaxy), wouldn't that bring the MW into their attention? It is true that the Ori can't see everything all the time (as Daniel says in "Origin", i think, the univers is a big place, difficult to keep track of), but given that they are, most likely, responsable for the plague that swept through the MW, they know the Ancients were here, it's only logical they would keep surveiling the galaxy further as a possible place for the Ancients to reappear.
There is a plausible answer here, maybe the Ori weren't even aware that the Ancients were hiding the MW from them. Or maybe they simply thought the Ancients were all dead, so there was no reason to keep an eye on the MW, but then we go back to no 3 smile.gif

5. Why haven't the Ori sent a prior to the Pegasus galaxy to convert the humans there? They most surely know of its existance from Daniel and Vala, the Ori seamed able to extract a lot of information from them (like their names, where they came from, possible stargate addresses in the MW, information on the Ancients, etc.), much like Orlin said in "The fourth horseman" he know everything about the prior from the moment he stepped into this galaxy. So the Ori must know of Pegasus's humans.
Edit: Daniel had missed the Daedalus, so Earth had already received the relevant information from McKay's transmission from "Letters from Pegasus", so Daniel did know that the Pegasus was inhabited.

6. Adria has ascended in the MW so the Ancients will not let her get involved in the lower plains, but, as Dafmeister says here, the Ancients might not stop her from leaving the galaxy. Now, judging from the movie, we know that SG1 travells to the Ori home galaxy, that would indicate that Adria is there. But why would she go back home? Anyone who would want to fight her would frist look for her there, why not go to another galaxy and avoid any possible attacks?
Actually i though of a reason: it is possible that the Ori need some sofisticated equipment to be able to drain the energy from their followers, equipment that is already available in Celestus and might take too long to replicate somewhere else. This would also take care of no 2.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Mar 30th 2007, 7:54 AM
Post #2

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

1. Seeding life simply takes too much effort. It wouldmean transplanting Humans into another galaxy and ensuring they had the means to survive. That would mean making sure they had places to live, the ability to grow food and protect themselves from any enemies.
The Ori are intent on destroying the Ancients quickly but gestation takes 9 months in Humans and children take a long time to grow up. We've seen in Adria that the Ori can increase the rate of growth of Humans but we don't know if they can just do that or if it is just a side effect of the knowledge they implanted in Adria.

2. They may not have known it was being created. Adria never said she could speak directly to the Ori. She was hoping to control the weapon and use it against the Ancients but she failed and it was used in the Ori galaxy.

3. See number 1.

4. The Alterans travelled for thousands of years to reach the Milky Way, as said in 'Avalon'. The Milky Way is a hell of a long way from the Ori galaxy so the Ori most likely just didn't know where to look. At some point they obviously found the Ancients as they were infected with a plague but the Ori would have assumed every Human died and so ignored the Milky Way from then on. They assumed the Ancients couldn't find a way to survive or reseed Human life in the Milky Way so didn't bother watching it (if they could in the first place) from then on.

5. Daniel was ascended int he past and he showed how powerful his mind was in 'Reckoning' so it could just be that they weren't able to find anything else out from him. From a production point of view, introducing the Ori to Pegasus would have just complicated things for the Atlantis plot.
We know from seasons 1, 2 and 3 of Atlantis and season 10 of SG-1 that there are ascended Ancients and Humans in Pegasus so it is likely that they are simly shielding it the way that the Ancients in the Milky Way are shielding that galaxy.

6. Adria is basically the Ori now. The original ones were wiped out by the Sangreal but she stilembodies their "spirit" and wants to convert Humans to origin. The Humans in the Ori galaxy are still worshipping them so going back there is her only option. If she replaced the Ori, she would gain all their power from the Humans following Origin. If anyone invaded their galaxy, she could interfere directly and destroy anyone who came to kill her.
If she went to another galaxy, she would "just" be another ascended being, by going back to her home galaxy she may be able to recieve the power the Ori gained from the Humans.
+Quote Post
Opher
post Mar 30th 2007, 9:19 AM
Post #3

Airman Basic

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,030

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Mar 30th 2007, 2:54 PM) *

From a production point of view, introducing the Ori to Pegasus would have just complicated things for the Atlantis plot.

I agree, the idea of the Ori coming to the Pegasus is wrong from the start, however i feel they should have given some explanation.

6. Adria is basically the Ori now. The original ones were wiped out by the Sangreal but she stilembodies their "spirit" and wants to convert Humans to origin. The Humans in the Ori galaxy are still worshipping them so going back there is her only option. If she replaced the Ori, she would gain all their power from the Humans following Origin. If anyone invaded their galaxy, she could interfere directly and destroy anyone who came to kill her.
If she went to another galaxy, she would "just" be another ascended being, by going back to her home galaxy she may be able to recieve the power the Ori gained from the Humans.

That's true, it is very likely that Adria would need some "time" to be able to draw the energy as the Ori did and, even more, that she would have to do something in Celestus first for this to work...

Thank you for your answer, i was looking forward for a well-thought reply smile.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 2nd 2014 - 6:41 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.