Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate Atlantis: Spoilers & Speculation

This area is for Atlantis spoilers. There are separate categories for SG-1 Spoilers and Universe Spoilers. Complete forum rules are available here.

Atlantis Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> solution to the problem *major spoilers*, from SG1 unending
toolazytothinkofanoriginalname
post Mar 18th 2007, 10:50 PM
Post #1

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,905

Ok, I'm not sure how chronologically the stranding of Atlantis in the middle of the Pegasus Galaxy fits in with the SG1 chronology, but if the last episode of SG1 corresponds with the last episode of season 3 of Atlantis, the Asgard have given them an easy solution to ALOT of their problems.

The most immediate being the city being stranded in the middle of the galaxy. As we saw on SG1, the Asgard can travel between galaxies in a matter of seconds, and their sensors work from millions of light years away (Prometheus), and since all Asgard technology seems to be more advanced than Ancient technology, its pretty safe to assume they have a power source at least as powerful as a ZPM, this provides the writers with an easy solution to the stranded situation. Earth can easily find the city, and if the engines on one of the earth ships can be souped up in time, mount a rescue mission to install a new power source. If that doesn't work, they can always just use a hologram to communicate with the city in hopes of finding something that could work.

Since there is no more SG1, there is no point in discussing the advancements that the Asgard improvements will make to the show in that forum, Atlantis will be where the technology can be used.

The immediate results of this gift from the Asgard will mean that they now have weapons that can destroy a Wraith hive ships. In the past, the only earth weapons that had any real effect were nukes, which needed to be beamed onboard... cant do that anymore. With the most advanced Asgard weapons onboard the Daedalus, it can take on a much greater force of Wraith and easily win. The Wraith have no shields, and their weapons systems will be the same as last season, vs Daedalus, who will now have the most powerful weapons in 3 galaxies, as well as if not the best, the second best shields.

Also, it will be possible to keep Atlantis permanently in space with the help of the Asgard beaming technology to create food and oxygen. They can also use the same technology to finally CREATE ZPMS in the same way that they built Merlin's device on SG1. The beaming technology being used to create matter would answer A LOT of questions from that show... for example, where are the drones, zpms... built? It looks like they are not built, but just beamed into existance

Thanks to the Asgard passing on all their knowledge to Earth, the Wraith should dwindle down to a minor inconvenience, which means they will have to come up with another enemy.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Matman
post Mar 19th 2007, 12:38 AM
Post #2

where's my gameboy...
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 10,164

They dont simply beam food, oxygen into existence, that machine is like the replicator system on Star Trek, it creates food, weapons, etc. I doubt they'd make it that easy to just through that Tech into Atlantis and say hey ok ZPMS arent a problem. The Wraith would only stay a big threat if the TPTB decided to knock off the replicators for good, but who knows.

I think the Atlantis team will find their own way out of that sitaution, I dont think unending took place till after First Strike otherwise the Apollo would have mentioned or had the upgrades or something to show that we had new asgard technology.
+Quote Post
OdinisThor'sDad
post Mar 19th 2007, 5:23 AM
Post #3

ASSgards are pussies!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 490

So what your saying is...

Put biga$$ engines on the city, so they can go wherever they want to go.
Put biga$$ neutrino ion generators throughout the city (like millions of them) so there's enough power to hold the shileds for millions of years.

Then we can gather up ancient ships and weapons and mount them on the city. We can even make another one of those super energy machines so we can blow up solar systems (no problem...we have super shields).

Is that what you're saying? Then Atlantis goes hunting down all the hive ships and by the end of season 3 or 4 all the Wraith are dead.

That show sounds awesome!

Recap on sci-fi show (for the 56th time)

Weak humans good.
Superpowerful humans with planet killing handguns...bad.

Superstrong, almost undefeatable enemies...good.
Weak alien race who Thor could take on in hand-to-hand combat...bad.

Suspense is the key.
+Quote Post
Protoziggy90
post Mar 19th 2007, 6:52 AM
Post #4

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,304

QUOTE(OdinisThor'sDad @ Mar 19th 2007, 6:23 AM) *

That line about Thor taking people on in hand to hand combat made me laugh uncontrollably for about 2 minutes. Thank you.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Mar 19th 2007, 11:05 AM
Post #5

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(Protoziggy90 @ Mar 19th 2007, 6:52 AM) *

That line about Thor taking people on in hand to hand combat made me laugh uncontrollably for about 2 minutes. Thank you.

Don't let his size fool you. When he pulls out that hammer from his back pocket... it's all over.
+Quote Post
post Mar 19th 2007, 1:34 PM
Post #6

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(OdinisThor'sDad @ Mar 19th 2007, 6:23 AM) *

That show sounds awesome!

Recap on sci-fi show (for the 56th time)

Weak humans good.
Superpowerful humans with planet killing handguns...bad.

Suspense is the key.

they now have the same technological knowledge of the Asgard, if the writers dont use alot of that technology, then the show will be even less believable... "yeah, we have shields that can defend us against the Wraith, and we have weapons that are way better than theirs... but we're not gonna use them"

and, especially the beaming thing, it would be really dumb if they could create something as easily as typing into a computer the designs of what you want, and it just appears then and they wouldn't use that technology. They have the technology, it should be used.

This post has been edited by toolazytothinkofanoriginalname: Mar 19th 2007, 1:37 PM
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Mar 19th 2007, 2:38 PM
Post #7

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

QUOTE(OdinisThor'sDad @ Mar 19th 2007, 12:23 PM) *

Put biga$$ engines on the city, so they can go wherever they want to go.
Put biga$$ neutrino ion generators throughout the city (like millions of them) so there's enough power to hold the shileds for millions of years.

And just where is the conventional bold-use for the word "millions"? You never know who might drop into this thread and jump it beyond the boundaries of knows mathematics. 1.gif
+Quote Post
post Mar 19th 2007, 2:58 PM
Post #8

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Mar 19th 2007, 3:38 PM) *

And just where is the conventional bold-use for the word "millions"? You never know who might drop into this thread and jump it beyond the boundaries of knows mathematics. 1.gif

Well, i would do the math for you, but... theres no way of knowing how much power the shield takes, or how much power one million of the generators would generate...
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Mar 19th 2007, 3:04 PM
Post #9

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(toolazytothinkofanoriginalname @ Mar 19th 2007, 9:58 PM) *

Well, i would do the math for you, but... theres no way of knowing how much power the shield takes, or how much power one million of the generators would generate...

Well, I could do the math for you, just tell me what is the voltage at which the generators operate, and if they are connected parallel or serial. And I can predict how much power the shield takes if you can tell me its area, or the volume, cause the area can be deduced from that.

Oh, and if you can't tell, I was joking earlier. 1.gif

This post has been edited by KillerMarv: Mar 19th 2007, 3:05 PM
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Mar 19th 2007, 4:29 PM
Post #10

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(toolazytothinkofanoriginalname @ Mar 19th 2007, 2:58 PM) *

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Mar 19th 2007, 3:04 PM) *

Well, I could do the math for you...

That was the funniest thing I've experienced all day. I don't think toolazy knows about millions or billions.
+Quote Post
Baggers.
post Mar 19th 2007, 6:27 PM
Post #11

Baggers.
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,573

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Mar 19th 2007, 9:29 PM) *

That was the funniest thing I've experienced all day. I don't think toolazy knows about millions or billions.

thankfully, the millions and billions phenomenon hasn't appeared for a while, and i personally would like it to stay that way.

As for too lazy's theory, i don't think he understands that having the asgard computer core doesn't necessarily mean we can recreate their technology anytime soon. christ, we've had the ancient database for 3 years, lets see how many ancient designed gizmo's we've built, hmmmm. oh yeah,none!!!

yes we will probably get a few upgrades, but nothing major. all the cool asgard tech on the odyssey will stay just that, on the odyssey. which knowing the writers, will get blown up in one of the sg1 movies. So yes atlantis will have a new powerful enemy to deal with in season 4, and yes they will get asgard technology to help them in their fight but only when they really need it to save their asses.

+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Mar 20th 2007, 2:46 PM
Post #12

Major General
Group Icon

Damn it, and I so much wanted to stay spoiler free for S4 of Atlantis. I thought that by entering the thread to check on the responses I received to the math problem I could read a post safe from them. Guess I was wrong. Oh well, this is the spoiler section, I won't risk it next time. See you in the other sections people. 1.gif
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Mar 20th 2007, 2:51 PM
Post #13

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,340

QUOTE(baggers1982 @ Mar 19th 2007, 11:27 PM) *
yes we will probably get a few upgrades, but nothing major. all the cool asgard tech on the odyssey will stay just that, on the odyssey. which knowing the writers, will get blown up in one of the sg1 movies. So yes atlantis will have a new powerful enemy to deal with in season 4, and yes they will get asgard technology to help them in their fight but only when they really need it to save their asses.
Where was it said there will be a powerful new enemy? I've read there will be a new race making an appearance but we don't know whether it will be an ally or enemy.
+Quote Post
Baggers.
post Mar 20th 2007, 3:27 PM
Post #14

Baggers.
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Mar 20th 2007, 7:51 PM) *

Where was it said there will be a powerful new enemy? I've read there will be a new race making an appearance but we don't know whether it will be an ally or enemy.

cant remember for sure where i read it, but i definitely did. saying that, youu can never believe everything you read so i could be wrong. but looking at it, if the ori are defeated and the odyssey is still in one piece, neither the wraith or asurans are going to pose too much of a threat, so a new enemy would be the obvious choice.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Mar 20th 2007, 5:06 PM
Post #15

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(baggers1982 @ Mar 20th 2007, 8:27 PM) *
cant remember for sure where i read it, but i definitely did. saying that, youu can never believe everything you read so i could be wrong. but looking at it, if the ori are defeated and the odyssey is still in one piece, neither the wraith or asurans are going to pose too much of a threat, so a new enemy would be the obvious choice.
Possible spoilers for 'The Ark of Truth:
» Click to Show Spoiler «
+Quote Post
Lagger
post Mar 22nd 2007, 7:23 PM
Post #16

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,349

Lolz... create zpms tongue.gif out of nothing biggrin.gif

not to mention drones....

+Quote Post
post Mar 22nd 2007, 9:38 PM
Post #17

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

did you not see what happened with the cello? she typed into the computer what she wanted, and poof it appeared, they did the same thing with air, food, clothing... a zpm would just be a little more complex

or, maybe the asgard put in a ZPM buffer, that you cant create those...
+Quote Post
Baggers.
post Mar 23rd 2007, 4:18 AM
Post #18

Baggers.
Group Icon

QUOTE(toolazytothinkofanoriginalname @ Mar 23rd 2007, 2:38 AM) *

did you not see what happened with the cello? she typed into the computer what she wanted, and poof it appeared, they did the same thing with air, food, clothing... a zpm would just be a little more complex

or, maybe the asgard put in a ZPM buffer, that you cant create those...

to create all those things used up energy from the zpm. now think really hard now, how the hell can you use the energy from one zpm to create another. chances are you'll just drain the first zpm and be back in the same situation.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Mar 23rd 2007, 8:05 AM
Post #19

Major General
Group Icon

I presented this situation earlier in another thread. You can't charge a ZPM with normal particles, otherwise it will be unstable, and unable to keep a subspace pocket open. If you have anymore questions about this, I suggest reading what I posted in this thread first. Ummm, let me search it up: 1.gif

ZPM Diagram Thingy

This post has been edited by KillerMarv: Mar 23rd 2007, 8:07 AM
+Quote Post
post Mar 23rd 2007, 12:53 PM
Post #20

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(baggers1982 @ Mar 23rd 2007, 5:18 AM) *

to create all those things used up energy from the zpm. now think really hard now, how the hell can you use the energy from one zpm to create another. chances are you'll just drain the first zpm and be back in the same situation.

um, yeah, im sure that creating a few sandwiches and a cello is what used up all the power... it couldn't have been because the ZPM was supporting a time dilation field for 50 years or anything like that...
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Mar 23rd 2007, 1:11 PM
Post #21

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(toolazytothinkofanoriginalname @ Mar 23rd 2007, 5:53 PM) *
um, yeah, im sure that creating a few sandwiches and a cello is what used up all the power... it couldn't have been because the ZPM was supporting a time dilation field for 50 years or anything like that...
A few sandwiches? Try at least three square meals a day for six people for 50 years along with oxygen to sustain them.
They couldn't create a ZPM because there was only a finite amount of energy available to them. You can't obtain more energy from a closed system than there already is in that system.
+Quote Post
Lagger
post Mar 24th 2007, 6:36 AM
Post #22

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

rofl... u could part the ship, hook up lotsa naq reactors.. hook up americas power grid adn whoosh.. tonnes of power biggrin.gif

u guys realise i wasnt serious about unlimited zpms, or drones/?? :|
+Quote Post
so2k
post Mar 25th 2007, 8:15 PM
Post #23

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,416

As much as I would love to see the Asguard technology instantly available to Atlantis we still have to remember the amount of time it would take for us to be able to reverse engineer the Asguard technology to work with our own, let alone understand it all. Things like that take a lot of time, especially if you have to keep everything a secret from the rest of the world. Anyways, although the Asguard weapons are extremely powerful remember that the Ancient weapons were too and that didn't help them when it came to the Wraith. The Ancients had the more powerful weapons but the Wraith were far greater in numbers. What do we have? The Daedalus, Apollo and the Oddesy. We have already lost the Prometheus and the Korlev (hope I spelled that right). We are still heavily outnumbered plus we still have the Replicators to deal with.

When it all comes down to it we need to remember that if we had all this power and were able to decimate our enemies this series would end awfully quickly. Five seasons of Atlantis just isn't enough for me!
+Quote Post
Lagger
post Mar 27th 2007, 9:18 AM
Post #24

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

but u cant be sure with replicators... tehy always seem to be able to come back ;)

theres a lot of things a big ship, and a power weapon cant defeat... ie michael tongue.gif

if those wraith are hiding underground etc...

guerilla warfare... take a look @ vietnam, or iraq... powerful tanks, and planes dont win wars... biggrin.gif

im more thinking odessy wont go to atlantis.. itll be kept under a mountain ... for safe keeping.. i mena the legact has to be kept... all the knowledge and information in there.. we cant just float it around, and have it engage in battles :| .. or can we?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 31st 2014 - 3:21 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.