Invisible Painting
post Nov 28th 2007, 10:38 AM
Post #553

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Nov 28th 2007, 3:52 AM) *

I think that learning about Why a character is a certain way is character background. Developement or growth to me is the character going through something on screen that changes their dynamic. Something that makes the characters point of view change, or that allows them to learn about themselves. I thought there was lots of character developement throughout the episode, but it ws all erased, and the erasure of such developement is what had me disapointed.

But it was enjoyable to watch that, and we learned about how the characters would react in these situations and several other aspects as mentioned so yes all the development reverted back but now we know how they would have reacted, and the development was great to watch.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
replicant
post Dec 7th 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #554

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,783

I recently rewatched this ep and some of season 1 eps. The guy Harlan from the epsiode Tinman would have been able to solve the Asgards problem he could have made mechanical copies of them and then they could have downloaded there consciousness into the new bodies thus solving the biological degradtion problem that they had. It also got me as rather pointless that they all had to die at once could one have stayed with the SGC to answer any Q's they are bound to have. Also was the scene at the beginning of 200 a foreshadowing of what TPB were going to do.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Dec 8th 2007, 1:34 AM
Post #555

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(replicant @ Dec 7th 2007, 11:17 PM) *

I recently rewatched this ep and some of season 1 eps. The guy Harlan from the epsiode Tinman would have been able to solve the Asgards problem he could have made mechanical copies of them and then they could have downloaded there consciousness into the new bodies thus solving the biological degradtion problem that they had. It also got me as rather pointless that they all had to die at once could one have stayed with the SGC to answer any Q's they are bound to have. Also was the scene at the beginning of 200 a foreshadowing of what TPB were going to do.

Lol, perhaps you should watch some more of the episodes. The Asgard already have the ability to to download their minds into computers. Anubis also had the ability to do it. This has been discussed before.
+Quote Post
disgruntledpostie1
post Dec 30th 2007, 5:11 PM
Post #556

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 16,555

The episode IMHO was terrible but was in keeping with other series finales I have seen STTNG/DS9/VOY/B5/MASH etc. the writers seem to not really care.

Most of the episode seemed to not move along at all (the part in the time dilation field) but the fighting scenes were very good (nice to see the Earth ships getting some serious weapons). And finally the Asgard, surely there are plenty of ways to prevent the disease from wiping them out, and where was Jack O'Neill the Asgard main man unsure.gif
+Quote Post
mithwriter
post Jan 2nd 2008, 12:17 PM
Post #557

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 885

Okay, just watched this from my boxed set as the last of a mini Season 10 marathon I've been doing for the last couple of days to wrap my up SG-1 viewing, and I have to say that I think RCC did the best he could with this type of story.

The thing that stuck out for me was that this type of episode really highlighted how poor season 10 was overall in terms of showing these characters as human beings and not as the gun toting, expository dialogue plot babbling caricatures of the the SG-1 that started out so long ago. I found it sad that the closest the show came this year to showing real, genuine emotional camaraderie between team members was Daniel's rant with Vala and Mitchell wrecking his room.

The show has devolved into an action-adventure show with lots of expensive sh*t being blown up at the expense of having its heart cut out.

Also, I'm kind of glad RDA wasn't in this ep, because based on how his character has been used recently...well, its better off not having him there. I don't need Jack O'Neill on screen if he's not going to be Jack O'Neill. Yes, I'm sure a great time was has by cast and crew alike, and that's wonderful...I just wish a fan like me could've enjoyed watching this season as much as they enjoyed making it.

+Quote Post
Martin.C
post Jan 10th 2008, 7:46 AM
Post #558

Civilian
Group Icon

Group: New Members
Member No.: 16,703

hey guys sorry if this has already been posted but assuming that the asgaard transport beam converts matter into energy to transport it and then converts back into matter at the end point (reasonable assumption?) then theoretically it is equally capable of transporting energy as it is matter. surely then the simplest solution would be to transport thr ori phaser to a point behind the ori ship with the end result that it strikes the ship it was fired from rather than the ship it was aimed at? lol that would certainly cause quite a few wtf moments amongst the Ori 1.gif

as for the sheild recharge thing. whether or not the shields themselves are outside of the time dilation bubble is irrelevant. the shield generators are on the ship and therefore within the TD field meaning they can be fixed, recharged and brought online in order to dissipate the incoming weapon fire when the TD field is dropped. this assumes of course that the beam is still outside the shield radius, making it entirely possible that the shields could be brought back online allowing the Oddysey to defeat the last Ori ship, make the necessary modifications and return to earth without any of this time travel nonsense.

all in all i felt it was a very disappointing finale. started off ok but quickly went downhill and the story became very lame. i kind of expected the asgaard to be killed off but considering their nature i expected it to be an all guns blazing showdown with the Ori with the Asgard losing because their fleet was just too seriously depleted due the the war with the replicators. for them to go out in this fashion just seems totally out of character for them.

looking forward to the films but not holding out too much hope that they will be a deserving finale to the stargate series. especially continuum. time will tell though rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 10th 2008, 8:03 AM
Post #559

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(Martin.C @ Jan 10th 2008, 7:46 AM) *

hey guys sorry if this has already been posted but assuming that the asgaard transport beam converts matter into energy to transport it and then converts back into matter at the end point (reasonable assumption?) then theoretically it is equally capable of transporting energy as it is matter. surely then the simplest solution would be to transport thr ori phaser to a point behind the ori ship with the end result that it strikes the ship it was fired from rather than the ship it was aimed at? lol that would certainly cause quite a few wtf moments amongst the Ori 1.gif

I tend to doubt that is in any way possible. The transporter uses an energy beam to transport matter in the form of energy from point to point. It has never been shown in any show that a transporter is capable of moving an energy beam, in this case, plasma beam weapon. For one thing, there is probably far too much energy for the transporter to track...

Basically, that's just not how it works.
+Quote Post
Dave312
post Jan 10th 2008, 9:09 PM
Post #560

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,343

What happened to the Asgard Fleet? Seeing as how they really didn't need them anymore and they were just going to blow them up, plus the fact that they were giving us all their technology anyway, why didn't they give us control of their fleet? Would have proved very handy in defending Odyssey from the Ori ships. I realise that they don't want to give us too much power but it would have been nice to see a big space battle where all the Asgard ships were destroyed if need be.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 10th 2008, 9:36 PM
Post #561

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(Dave312 @ Jan 10th 2008, 9:09 PM) *

What happened to the Asgard Fleet? Seeing as how they really didn't need them anymore and they were just going to blow them up, plus the fact that they were giving us all their technology anyway, why didn't they give us control of their fleet? Would have proved very handy in defending Odyssey from the Ori ships. I realise that they don't want to give us too much power but it would have been nice to see a big space battle where all the Asgard ships were destroyed if need be.

Many Asgard were against giving us anything. I imagine it was difficult for Thor just to get them to give us their archive.
+Quote Post
Martin.C
post Jan 11th 2008, 6:15 AM
Post #562

Civilian
Group Icon

Group: New Members
Member No.: 16,703

QUOTE(Revan @ Jan 10th 2008, 1:03 PM) *

I tend to doubt that is in any way possible. The transporter uses an energy beam to transport matter in the form of energy from point to point. It has never been shown in any show that a transporter is capable of moving an energy beam, in this case, plasma beam weapon. For one thing, there is probably far too much energy for the transporter to track...

Basically, that's just not how it works.

yea your probably right. would still be funny to watch tho.. the ori fire their weapon, we transport it behind them and just before it hits the Prior slaps his head and shouts D'OH! then boom! lol would have made as much sense as time travel 1.gif
+Quote Post
Solaris
post Mar 11th 2008, 2:21 AM
Post #563

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 18,173

QUOTE(Dave312 @ Jan 10th 2008, 7:09 PM) *

The fact that they blew up their whole planet to extinction and supposably along with all of their fleet... I found it completely bizarre and an effortless attempt for the writers to come up with a better alternative ending to their demise.

why didn't they give us control of their fleet? Would have proved very handy in defending Odyssey from the Ori ships.

Don't forget, they are a dying race after-all. Instead of being blown up we would send them to their own death? Now that''ll be something! A turning point to the goodness of SG-1 if anything...

But on the bright side, it was nice seeing them again. I would think they forgot all about them.
+Quote Post
Kinghans
post Jun 12th 2008, 4:17 PM
Post #564

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,327

QUOTE(Solaris @ Mar 11th 2008, 2:21 AM) *

But on the bright side, it was nice seeing them again. I would think they forgot all about them.

There's probably one or two forgotten or deserted little guys to be found somewhere out there...

Remember Loki? wink.gif
+Quote Post

24 Pages V « < 22 23 24
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 22nd 2014 - 4:37 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.