post Mar 5th 2007, 1:01 AM
Post #49

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(xayeidemon @ Mar 4th 2007, 11:23 PM) *

No, you can't. You're not a mod in this section. wink.gif

It's fanfic. Anyone adopting a classification like that is deluding themselves...and possibly being pretentious. laugh.gif

Oh, and I don't consider those Star Wars novels to be canon, either. Canon for me includes the 6 films and Clone Wars. If I wanted to get picky about the whole thing, that would mean looking at the books, comics, and other stuff George Lucas has signed off on.

I think I may be able to close and delete the topic since i created it... OR, it is a glitch of some sort.... but this isn't the only place the mod box came up on the bottom right with only 2 options. (Where I wasn't a mod)

Well, I am arrogant... maybe thats it? Or I was joking... I haven't decided which.

Canon is anything officially produced... For ST, it ould be the films and series, for SW, it would be the films and probably that Clone Wars cartoon.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rogue Ashrak
post Mar 5th 2007, 7:55 AM
Post #50

Hero of Time
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 7,502

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Mar 5th 2007, 9:14 AM) *

I was specifically alluding to GL and SW. I guess I coulda been more specific. Do you consider those SW novels to be canon?

QUOTE(xayeidemon @ Mar 5th 2007, 3:23 PM) *

Oh, and I don't consider those Star Wars novels to be canon, either. Canon for me includes the 6 films and Clone Wars. If I wanted to get picky about the whole thing, that would mean looking at the books, comics, and other stuff George Lucas has signed off on.

QUOTE(Revan @ Mar 5th 2007, 5:01 PM) *

Canon is anything officially produced... For ST, it ould be the films and series, for SW, it would be the films and probably that Clone Wars cartoon.

As Parm said, the SW novels are considered Canon, however of a lower level to the movies. The actual level of Star Wars canon attributed to the various workes has actually been defined as follows:

(taken from Wookiepedia)-

» Click to Show Spoiler «

G-Canon and C-canon generally work together pretty well, especially seeing as Lucas gets final say in all big story desicisions used in the C-Canon novels. Although there have been some exceptions where Lucas is a bit of an ass about it,he has said that if he wants to contradict some established C-canon stories in a later work of his then he will. (a little like Devlin and his Stargate movie sequels).
For example Boba Fett's survival and escape after being eaten by the Sarlaac in Return of the Jedi, has been pretty much entrenched into the post-Endor novels, yet Lucas has stated that he never intended Boba Fett to survive, and considers him dead for the purposes of his version of the Star Wars universe. Whilst he hasn't written anything to majorly contradict the EU novels yet, he's pretty much said he will if he wants too.
On the other hand, as mentioned, he did take some elements from the books and used them in Prequel Trilogy. For example the name of Coruscant for the galactic capital, was originally coined by Timothy Zahn in the Thrawn trilogy. Zahn also was the first to include the 501st Strormtrooper legion (Vader's Fist) into canon in order to honour the real-life charity group of the same name. Lucas subsequently gave them a role in Episode III.

....I seem to have rambled on a bit there. 1.gif Back to the original point about canon, I guess it can be safely assumed that any officially licensed works where at least a portion of the sales proceeds go back to the IP holders (i.e in the case of SW, Lucasfilm), can be considered canon of some level to that paticular fictional universe.
Unsactioned works are obviously fanfic and completely non-canon.

(PS. As an aside, the Star Wars EU novels, particularly the ones set post-Endor, are waaaaay better than the movies. Heck, if Zahn had written the prequel trilogy, you would have all been very happy. Zahn's characters aren't annoying 1.gif)

This post has been edited by Rogue Ashrak: Mar 5th 2007, 8:10 AM
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Mar 5th 2007, 2:20 PM
Post #51

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,251

Thats very interesting. I am a Starwars fan, but I've never delved into that much detail.
+Quote Post
Admiral
post May 13th 2007, 2:24 PM
Post #52

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,728

QUOTE(Parmenides @ Feb 28th 2007, 11:04 PM) *

My, what fictional properties have been endowed upon the lowly sound wave. laugh.gif You wouldn't be able to vaporise bacteria without high, high temperatures, even if it is a miniscule amount. They might be able to fragment the dirt into small pieces...and blow them off somehow, but it's a bit of a rubbish concept.

(also, I don't see how the dirt could be made to float away at such slow speeds, by sonically-speeded waves.)

See:
What Sound CAN Do...

The bubble reaches temperatures close to that of the Sun, 'high' enough for you?

This post has been edited by Admiral: May 13th 2007, 2:26 PM
+Quote Post
Parmenides
post May 13th 2007, 4:08 PM
Post #53

Birds ate his face.
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,770

Strangely enough, I found myself reading that very same wikipedia article today. Freaky.

I should've been clearer - regardless of the temperatures reached by the sound waves, for it to "vaporise" the bacteria, it would have to do some pretty serious damage to the person using the sonic shower, because of the heat involved. Not fun.

Sonoluminescence is a very particular case anyway - it's not to do with the vibrational energy passed on by the sound waves, but due to the sudden collapse of the bubbles, along with the standing waves inside them. Also, sonoluminescence requires a liquid for the bubbles to propagate in - so you're just as well having a bath anyway. whistling.gif
+Quote Post
Revan
post May 13th 2007, 6:37 PM
Post #54

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Why can't it be called a 'sonic' shower just because its simple to say, instead of for any scientific reason?
+Quote Post
Parmenides
post May 14th 2007, 6:44 AM
Post #55

Birds ate his face.
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,770

QUOTE(Revan @ May 14th 2007, 12:37 AM) *

Why can't it be called a 'sonic' shower just because its simple to say, instead of for any scientific reason?

Duh. Just duh.
Why can't we discuss how foolish a name it is, for a world trying to portray the future of science?
+Quote Post
Admiral
post May 14th 2007, 10:37 AM
Post #56

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,728

I think I see your point, "Sonic Shower" is a lot easier to say than, "Energy Wave Propagation Harmonic Resonance Cleansing Unit"
speaking of which do you think 'Sonic' is an abbreviation?
+Quote Post
Revan
post May 14th 2007, 11:49 AM
Post #57

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(Admiral @ May 14th 2007, 11:37 AM) *

I think I see your point, "Sonic Shower" is a lot easier to say than, "Energy Wave Propagation Harmonic Resonance Cleansing Unit"
speaking of which do you think 'Sonic' is an abbreviation?

An abbreviation for what?

In BSG, there was urination in the forest during a convo between two guys; you could hear the sprinkle on the leaves. Course, there are toilets and restrooms in that series, as opposed to in Star Trek...
+Quote Post
expigeendeata
post Dec 8th 2010, 2:08 AM
Post #58

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 52,752

Hahaha..."prepare" him. That was certainly what she tried to do. I also wonder what her part of the therapy sessions will be...will it have anything to do with Sams father? Hmmm...
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 16th 2014 - 2:26 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.