Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate SG-1: Spoilers & Speculation

This area is for SG-1 spoilers. There are separate categories for Atlantis Spoilers and Universe Spoilers. Complete forum rules are available here.

SG-1 Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Multiple Gate Dialing
Gotanks
post Jan 21st 2007, 8:49 AM
Post #1

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,704

I haven't posted here for a year or so.. but I just came up with an idea while rewatching some old stargate episodes.

We all know that we can dial more stargates at once on one location. But what exactly does happen in that process? Is the exact same matter just sent to all the stargates, and then they come out on that end? If so, wouldn't that like mean, if we dial to 20 stargates from Earth, we throw a ZPM through the gate. One ZPM would come out on each gate, meaning we should have 20 ZPM's?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jan 21st 2007, 8:58 AM
Post #2

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

It's unlike that there would be 20 copies of anything sent through. Whether one of the Stargates dialled is dominant over the others or something/someone travelling through the wormhole exits a random Stargate of those dialled is unknown.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jan 21st 2007, 9:06 AM
Post #3

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

Only energy waves have the ability to be sent to all gates if we dial at multiple ones, because the frequency won't be changed in this process, only the intensity... We saw that in Reckoning. I guess matter would be split if an end with multiple exits existed... And nothing good would come out in the end.
+Quote Post
Shadowstorm92
post Jan 22nd 2007, 3:07 PM
Post #4

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,931

So you're saying that if a person were to go through the gate while it was connected to multiple gates, you would end up with a leg on one planet, a hand on a moon somewhere, a few teeth on another, etc. laugh.gif
It wouldn't be too much fun for someone who was waiting for that person at the gate to have an eyeball fly out of it and whack them in their head, but it might be funny to an observer.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jan 22nd 2007, 3:20 PM
Post #5

General
Group Icon

We don't knowwhat would happen if someone or something entered the Stargate while it was connected to multiple addresses. What we do know is that one address would have to be dialled in order to activate the Stargates so that address my act as a dominant Stargate, in the same way that a if there are multiple Stargate on a planet the one with a DHD would be the dominant Stargate.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jan 23rd 2007, 1:45 AM
Post #6

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Shadowstorm92 @ Jan 22nd 2007, 10:07 PM) *

So you're saying that if a person were to go through the gate while it was connected to multiple gates, you would end up with a leg on one planet, a hand on a moon somewhere, a few teeth on another, etc. laugh.gif
It wouldn't be too much fun for someone who was waiting for that person at the gate to have an eyeball fly out of it and whack them in their head, but it might be funny to an observer.

You're actually thinking like a kid, that's fun, but wrong... Playing with matter is not like playing with sharks... If matter is divided, the receiving gates, won't have enough information to recompose the body, because the information received by the gate with the PoO and the destination gates don't match... 1.gif

Daf, that is absolutely true... There is no way to connect multiple gates with a simple adress being dialed. But we've seen how it already happened with a remote dial, and some work with the gate's program. In this case, there is no way that one of the gates was dominant, since the Dakara weapon wouldn't have worked in the entire galaxy... smile.gif

P.S.: IMO, the Dakara weapon wouldn't have worked anyway, but that's another topic. whistling.gif
+Quote Post
Alosel
post Jan 23rd 2007, 7:16 AM
Post #7

First Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,667

Wasn't it speculated before that it was how Baal was duplicated, by running to a Stargate, wilst the multidial was initiated?
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jan 23rd 2007, 8:30 AM
Post #8

General
Group Icon

I've never heard of that before but I guess it could be. We don't know what would happen if a person entered a Stargate dialled to multiple addresses. I would have thought he cloned himself by using the tech he took from Anubis though.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 23rd 2007, 11:25 AM
Post #9

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(Alosel @ Jan 23rd 2007, 7:16 AM) *

Wasn't it speculated before that it was how Baal was duplicated, by running to a Stargate, wilst the multidial was initiated?

I believe that in that ep they said there was evidence of cloning. I just saw the ep last friday on Scifi, but I can't remember clearly. I will have to double check.
+Quote Post
ancient01
post Jan 23rd 2007, 12:10 PM
Post #10

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,239

When Teal'c came back from Dakara, Carter told him that they found cloning equipment in the basement of a building Baal was using. It was a "tie up loose ends" comment at the end of the episode.

If they used the multiple gate dialing program to duplicate anything, I would lose all respect for the writers...
+Quote Post
Alosel
post Jan 23rd 2007, 12:13 PM
Post #11

First Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,667

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jan 23rd 2007, 1:30 PM) *

I've never heard of that before but I guess it could be. We don't know what would happen if a person entered a Stargate dialled to multiple addresses. I would have thought he cloned himself by using the tech he took from Anubis though.

hmmm, I forgot about Anubis's cloning facilities. However, I never actually thought that Baal would willingly clone himself. There would be too much power, too much ego. Surely he would've seen that.

There had been a discussion before that this could've occured when he ran away from Dakara.
+Quote Post
pct
post Jan 25th 2007, 7:06 PM
Post #12

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,935

my theory is that when they used the dakara weapon they dialed 1 gate with a macro like the mccay/carter freeway. the signal from the weapon was sent at a freaquency the gate "played at all gates". i think the gate was not involved in baal's cloning experiment., he had other options then take the russian rulette with the gate. (by the way if the gate sets the same info out in every gate, they would not have found cloning evidence).
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jan 25th 2007, 7:15 PM
Post #13

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(pct @ Jan 26th 2007, 12:06 AM) *
my theory is that when they used the dakara weapon they dialed 1 gate with a macro like the mccay/carter freeway.
It was Ba'al (or, more accurately, Nerous) who discovered a way to dial all Stargates simultaneously. SG-1 needed Ba'al's help because they had no idea how to do it.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 25th 2007, 7:30 PM
Post #14

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Alosel @ Jan 23rd 2007, 12:13 PM) *

hmmm, I forgot about Anubis's cloning facilities. However, I never actually thought that Baal would willingly clone himself. There would be too much power, too much ego. Surely he would've seen that.

There had been a discussion before that this could've occured when he ran away from Dakara.

Well, the Goa'uld pass on their memory genetically. If Ba'al decides it is a good idea to have a bunch of clones and he is going to cooperate with himself then each clone would agree.
+Quote Post
mikmil2003
post Jan 25th 2007, 11:06 PM
Post #15

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,686

QUOTE(Alosel @ Jan 23rd 2007, 7:16 AM) *

In “48 hours” episode Teal’s stoke inside Stargate. But he stoked in destination Stargate on Earth.
It means that dialing Gate (some planet where was fight) sent all Teal’c info to destination Gate (SG Command).

If from one Gate dial multiple Gates – dialing Gate will send travelers info to any Gate with which it establish connection. So from dialing Gate point of view any established wormhole will be treaded as normal 1-to-1 connection. And object or being will be sending in full.

Wave from Dakara came up from all destinations Gates – it was some kind of energy but it is not different than any object or living thing.

Gates transport any substance in a same way – it is not selective.
Apparently when de-materialization happens – its sub-atomic particles or even less, basically object become part of wormhole. And when it needs to re-materialize at the destination it takes what ever particles available from wormhole according to info sent from dialing Gate what this object should be.

It means that from 1000 destination Gates will come up 1000 Baal’s.

ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

This post has been edited by mikmil2003: Jan 25th 2007, 11:06 PM
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 25th 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #16

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,056

Gates don't work like that.

As I see it, you dial multiple gates, and then step through, you will either arrive at the first gate that was dialed, or you die.

Objects exist as a finite amount of energy, which is transferred fomr matter to energy and back into matter. The amount of energy you exist as doesn't change. You can't make copies, because you only exist as you, the gate isn't going to make more of you...

Ba'al cloned himself the old-fashioned way, with test-tubes.

They used the auto-update system on the DHD to signal all gates to connect to that one. The energy wave of the Ancient Device would not have had to be changed into energy, it is just transmitted directly.

There is of course another possibility... with the conventions given by TPTB on gates, it would never have worked at all. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
mikmil2003
post Jan 25th 2007, 11:43 PM
Post #17

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,686

QUOTE(Revan @ Jan 25th 2007, 11:17 PM) *

Gates don't work like that.

As I see it, you dial multiple gates, and then step through, you will either arrive at the first gate that was dialed, or you die.

There is no First Gate in this situation - they all connected already before you step in. If it would be just one random Gate - Weapon from Dakara would came up only from one Gate. It wasn't happen.
Wave from Dakara came up from all connected Gates.

Objects exist as a finite amount of energy, which is transferred fomr matter to energy and back into matter. The amount of energy you exist as doesn't change. You can't make copies, because you only exist as you, the gate isn't going to make more of you...

Exactly. After de-materialization you are just energy. You in form of energy were added to the wormhole. Your energy just dissolves in wormhole. Dialing Gate sent your info to each connected Gate. It just cannot be other way. Its basic principal of how Gates work: If 2 Gates connected and something step in to dialing Gate - dialing Gate MUST send info about this object to destination Gate. And Destination Gate MUST re-materializes this object from wormhole as a material. So basically object\person came up from destination Gate made from different material that when it stepped in dialing Gate.
whistling.gif whistling.gif whistling.gif
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 26th 2007, 2:23 AM
Post #18

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Please escuse my crude replications. If you are 5, then this is what would happen to you.
Attached Image

In the multigate situation, you are still 5, but there are also 5 gates, and there is only so much of you to go around.
Attached Image
The thing about the weapon at Darkara is that it emitted a wave. The wave was probably split up in the same manner, but the device was extremly powerful, and was still effective despite being divided. It's like usuing a splittler for coaxial cable or copper wire.

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Jan 26th 2007, 11:51 AM
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jan 26th 2007, 4:20 AM
Post #19

Major General
Group Icon

Yes, yes... to JTMAG1 you will listen... Did I just sound like Yoda? 1.gif

Thanks for the backup there, JTMAG1, I did try to explain the same thing back a few posts... biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 26th 2007, 11:50 AM
Post #20

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Jan 26th 2007, 4:20 AM) *

Yes, yes... to JTMAG1 you will listen... Did I just sound like Yoda? 1.gif

Thanks for the backup there, JTMAG1, I did try to explain the same thing back a few posts... biggrin.gif

Yeah, that was very Yodaish.

You're welcome, I know they didn't get it, and like Odin says, "use crayons".
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 26th 2007, 5:47 PM
Post #21

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

BINGO!

JTMAG (Who I keep wanting to call "The Magnificent One") and KillerMArv have it right.

You are turned into an energy signature, which is transmitted to a gate, and the energy signature turns back into matter. Your energy signature has enough cohesion and power to be transmitted to one gate and rematerialized. There isn't enough information to transmit to multiple gates... you would go "bye byes!"
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 26th 2007, 7:17 PM
Post #22

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Jan 26th 2007, 5:47 PM) *

BINGO!

JTMAG (Who I keep wanting to call "The Magnificent One") and KillerMArv have it right.

lol, My friends from that Freshman year of highschool still do from time to time, when i do something great.

You are turned into an energy signature, which is transmitted to a gate, and the energy signature turns back into matter. Your energy signature has enough cohesion and power to be transmitted to one gate and rematerialized. There isn't enough information to transmit to multiple gates... you would go "bye byes!"

I guess someone will postulate that you could turn into 5 miniature versions of yourself.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jan 26th 2007, 7:21 PM
Post #23

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Jan 27th 2007, 2:17 AM) *

I guess someone will postulate that you could turn into 5 miniature versions of yourself.

Well, the concept of "mini-me"s hasn't been done to death yet, so I guess everyone that wants to get a shot at it, is free to do it... 1.gif
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 26th 2007, 7:25 PM
Post #24

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Jan 26th 2007, 7:17 PM) *

Ya know... I wonder if it would rematerialize anything at all... because at that point, there would be insufficient signature to create a full being. Maybe it would pop out, like, common molecules from the human body...?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 26th 2014 - 11:02 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.