Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate Atlantis: Spoilers & Speculation

This area is for Atlantis spoilers. There are separate categories for SG-1 Spoilers and Universe Spoilers. Complete forum rules are available here.

Atlantis Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

10 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cast spoilers - season 4, More axes to come.
Pitry
post Jan 14th 2007, 6:23 PM
Post #1

Colonel
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 745

An interview with BW on the MGM website, Interview - warnign, spoilers for SG1 movies, end of show adn Atlantis.

season four spoilers.
» Click to Show Spoiler «
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 14th 2007, 7:46 PM
Post #2

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

Nice!

I must say, I am interested to know what part Tapping will be playing in SGA. Does McKay need assistance from Carter?

I also am curious to know how they are going to do Unending.... because that sounds like a cool concept.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jan 14th 2007, 8:08 PM
Post #3

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

What the hell?? They're getting rid of two main characters!? I was accepting Becket because these things happen, but weir? Why? I hope there is good reason to justify this...

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Jan 14th 2007, 8:08 PM
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 14th 2007, 8:11 PM
Post #4

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Jan 14th 2007, 8:08 PM) *

What the hell?? They're getting rid of two main characters!? I was accepting Becket because these things happen, but weir? Why? I hope there is good reason to justify this...

Maybe she is getting a promotion or something... its not like she has a lot to do as it is...
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jan 14th 2007, 8:16 PM
Post #5

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(Revan @ Jan 15th 2007, 1:11 AM) *

Maybe she is getting a promotion or something... its not like she has a lot to do as it is...

I meant more from a show point of view reason, not a story one. Why are they getting rid of her as well? I don't agree with it and just hope they have good reason for doing it.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 14th 2007, 8:18 PM
Post #6

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Jan 14th 2007, 8:16 PM) *

I meant more from a show point of view reason, not a story one. Why are they getting rid of her as well? I don't agree with it and just hope they have good reason for doing it.

It is possible the sorts of stories they will be doing in season 4 are more offworld. If the entire episode is offworld, there is less chance they will see Weir, unless she goes with them.

Plus, Amanda Tapping is doing 14 episodes of season 4.
+Quote Post
Lagger
post Jan 14th 2007, 10:19 PM
Post #7

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,349

wow so the sg1 charcters might get transfered to sga?

but damn.. axing two main characters...
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 14th 2007, 10:58 PM
Post #8

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lagger @ Jan 14th 2007, 10:19 PM) *

wow so the sg1 charcters might get transfered to sga?

but damn.. axing two main characters...

Amanda Tapping is... besides her I have no idea...
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Jan 15th 2007, 12:27 PM
Post #9

Colonel
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Jan 15th 2007, 3:18 AM) *

It is possible the sorts of stories they will be doing in season 4 are more offworld. If the entire episode is offworld, there is less chance they will see Weir, unless she goes with them.

Plus, Amanda Tapping is doing 14 episodes of season 4.

Which is one of my main problems with this (apart from the fact that out of 3 characters I actually lovw and care for in Atlantis season 3, they've axed two.)

Beckett was a story decision. Weir is being cut off in order to give Carter a place. I really like Carter - hopnestly, even if I doubt Ill ever be able to love new Carter again as much as I loved her in seasons 1-6, there's been too myuch damage done to the character for that - but I really enjoy Weir as well. They've really been doing a great job with her this year - not to mention that I loved every (er, all 3) episodes centred round her character - and it's a huge mistake, IMHO.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jan 15th 2007, 1:53 PM
Post #10

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,340

I have no problem with the reduction of Torri to a recurring role because she is virtually that already. Beckett leaving was a big suprise because he is a great character but I have no idea why they want to bring Sam over. I can see an influx of SG-1 characters over the next couple of years, if Atlantis survives that long.
JF has said in an interview that Atlantis is getting a "soft reset" in season 4 and the show is heading in another direction. I can see Atlantis becoming a SG-1 clone in Pegasus.
+Quote Post
JC1
post Jan 15th 2007, 2:25 PM
Post #11

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 342

While I have nothing against Weirs character, she really doesn't do much on Atlantis, so I have no problem with her role being reduced. I am curios as to, who will officially command the expedition.

Carter crossing over could a good thing or a bad thing, depending on what they do with her character, and what role she'll play on Atlantis. The Obvious choice would be working with McKay, but Zelenka kind of has that role.
Carter is also USAF Lt.Col, which would make her the highest ranking officer, along with Sheppard. So maybe she'll assume a more military role. I suppose it's possible she could be given command of ship. Maybe the Odyssey, will be stationed in Pegasus.

+Quote Post
Pitry
post Jan 15th 2007, 2:51 PM
Post #12

Colonel
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jan 15th 2007, 8:53 PM) *

I have no problem with the reduction of Torri to a recurring role because she is virtually that already. Beckett leaving was a big suprise because he is a great character but I have no idea why they want to bring Sam over. I can see an influx of SG-1 characters over the next couple of years, if Atlantis survives that long.
JF has said in an interview that Atlantis is getting a "soft reset" in season 4 and the show is heading in another direction. I can see Atlantis becoming a SG-1 clone in Pegasus.

See, I have to disagree with that. Sure, there are episodes when she has nothign but two lines that are merely there in order to have her in an episode. But in other episodes she has a substential role, much bigger than the one Hammond, Frasier or a lot of other recurring have had. She's also got developed in a lot more thoughtful, interesting way than most - if not all - recurrings in Stargate.
I think there's plenty more room tod evelop her, too. I think the character works, and the actress is definitely a talented one. It's a shame she's been thrown into the "used characters bin". Real shame.

As for that "soft reset" - I have to admit I'm very, very suspicious about it. And I sure do hope not to see an influix of sG1 characters.
An actually interesting bit... AT is obliged to season 4 of SGA because of her season 11 contract. That contraxct expires after this year. Assuming SGA survives season 4, what are they going to do if AT refuses to sign in for another year?...
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jan 15th 2007, 2:58 PM
Post #13

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pitry @ Jan 15th 2007, 7:51 PM) *
See, I have to disagree with that. Sure, there are episodes when she has nothign but two lines that are merely there in order to have her in an episode. But in other episodes she has a substential role, much bigger than the one Hammond, Frasier or a lot of other recurring have had. She's also got developed in a lot more thoughtful, interesting way than most - if not all - recurrings in Stargate.
That's the very definition of a recurring role though. She isn't a major part of every but has the occasional "big" storyline. Look at Ford in season 2 and Beckett in season 1. Sheppard, McKay, Ronon and Teyla (although Teyla is edging toward recurring IMO) are all major parts of almost every episode of Atlantis.

An actually interesting bit... AT is obliged to season 4 of SGA because of her season 11 contract. That contraxct expires after this year. Assuming SGA survives season 4, what are they going to do if AT refuses to sign in for another year?...
Find a way to remove her. They've done it with Ford and will do it with Beckett in season 3. They'll have no problem writing her out of the show if it comes to that.
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Jan 15th 2007, 3:13 PM
Post #14

Colonel
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jan 15th 2007, 9:58 PM) *

That's the very definition of a recurring role though. She isn't a major part of every but has the occasional "big" storyline. Look at Ford in season 2 and Beckett in season 1. Sheppard, McKay, Ronon and Teyla (although Teyla is edging toward recurring IMO) are all major parts of almost every episode of Atlantis.

I suspdect we have a very diferent definition of the term role" then smile.gif Weir has had - IMO of course - an equal or much bigger role than Ronon adn Teyla on any given episode this year, with the exception of Sateda. On all Atalntis based episodes - and I'm saying that based on all episodes up to Sunday which hasn't aired yet - she's had quite a regular's role, not a recurring's. And ion mission episodes, where she's barely seen - well, so are Teyla and Ronon.
As for the rest of the recurring... True, Becket''s had a large role in season 1. So did Frasier in SG1. But how many episodes during that time did each have? For themselves? Frasier's had Rite of Passage, mainly. There were some other, and she's played quite a amjor role in a lot of episodes... but really episodes that were dedicated to her - Rite of Passage. Same with Carson, Posoning the edge. And as for other characters Ford hasn't been seen since Lost Boys, Jonas has disappeared off hte radar since Fallout, and it might very well end up being the case with Beckett, too.
f I recall correctly you're not a big Weir fan... but I, personally, dio't want her to fall off the radar. I enjoy the character, I enjoy the actress, and I want to see more - and I think there's quite a lot of potential for more - than less.

Find a way to remove her. They've done it with Ford and will do it with Beckett in season 3. They'll have no problem writing her out of the show if it comes to that.

that's not what I meant. smile.gif Of course we'll never know for sure, but somethign makes me feel Weir's been reduced to recurring bcause AT has been brought aboard. If she quits, what do they do? Bring back Weir? leave a character-shaped hole in the shows? Brnig in yet another character to develop from scratch? All options sound dumb to me.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jan 15th 2007, 3:24 PM
Post #15

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pitry @ Jan 15th 2007, 8:13 PM) *
As for the rest of the recurring... True, Becket''s had a large role in season 1.
My point was that Ford was a recurring character in season 2 and Beckett was also a recurring character in season 1.

So did Frasier in SG1. But how many episodes during that time did each have? For themselves? Frasier's had Rite of Passage, mainly. There were some other, and she's played quite a amjor role in a lot of episodes... but really episodes that were dedicated to her - Rite of Passage. Same with Carson, Posoning the edge. And as for other characters Ford hasn't been seen since Lost Boys
That just proves my definintion of a recurring character. Frasier was a recurring character in SG-1 and had a couple of "big" storylines and, as I said, so did Beckett in season 1 and Ford in season 2.
+Quote Post
Magnavox
post Jan 15th 2007, 4:16 PM
Post #16

Posts with an accent...
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 3,724

Firstly, Weir is my favourite character. crying.gif 1.gif

Secondly, right now, I see this decision motivated by the introduction of Sam in the show. God forbid they have too many strong women in one show... dry.gif I know, I may be right off the mark. But this also leads me to believe something that I have considered for a while now, in that they
which would be a damn shame and I quite like the dynamic they have going now. I guess that also fits in with the 'soft reset' line.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 15th 2007, 4:45 PM
Post #17

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

If they are going to decide to really take the fight to the Wraith and Asurans, and the show becomes much more geared towards violent conflict... that would be different.

OR, maybe they are going to split the focus between 2 teams... make a whole new dynamic for the series.
+Quote Post
FreshPez
post Jan 15th 2007, 6:42 PM
Post #18

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,148

This blows. Weir has been hitting her stride and Carter has had nothing to do since Jack left and Vala arrived.

Everyone remember the best episodes of season nine? Episodes 1-5? Where we got our technobabble from Dr. Lee and FINALLY some character in the form of Vala/Daniel?

Weir getting recurring is ok, she's the boss and isn't even a major part of every episode. But please don't make Sam a major part of the show. 4 episodes is fine. 14 is overkill.
+Quote Post
ancient01
post Jan 16th 2007, 6:41 AM
Post #19

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,239

I also believe that Weir's reduced role will be a result of bringing Carter to Atlantis. To what extent, I can only speculate, but it would not be out of the realm of possibilities to see her taking over command of the city. Lt. Col. is a command rank, although historically, command of a ship would be performed by a Naval Captain. Full Bird Col. is the same grade in the Air Force. That's why all of the American ships commanders in the Stargate series' have been Col. If they do bring Carter in to command the city, I don't doubt Season 4 will be much more military based. Maybe they'll promote Carter?? I guess we'll find out... someday...
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jan 16th 2007, 8:47 AM
Post #20

General
Group Icon

I don't see Carter getting promoted to Colonel this quickly, she has to serve a few more years before promotion can be considered. I also don't see her as Commander of Atlantis. Weir is being reduced to a recurring role in Atlantis but Sam is also only a recurring character (she is scheduled to appear in 14 episodes) and we don't know to what extent she will appear in those episodes. For all we know, she could do a RDA and appear in a few scenes.
+Quote Post
JC1
post Jan 16th 2007, 9:09 AM
Post #21

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 342

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jan 16th 2007, 1:47 PM) *

I don't see Carter getting promoted to Colonel this quickly, she has to serve a few more years before promotion can be considered. I also don't see her as Commander of Atlantis. Weir is being reduced to a recurring role in Atlantis but Sam is also only a recurring character (she is scheduled to appear in 14 episodes) and we don't know to what extent she will appear in those episodes. For all we know, she could do a RDA and appear in a few scenes.

I too, think it's too soon for Carter to promoted Colonel.

+Quote Post
FreshPez
post Jan 16th 2007, 10:36 AM
Post #22

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,148

Something else that's terrifying is that Amanda Tapping is probably getting a salary commensurate to her TEN years on the show.

I bet SG1 would still be going if they had brought in all new characters with Browder and Black and Bridges. Now we have Tapping just waiting to break the bank on Atlantis.

In fact, I'd guess that's why she's in 14 eps. Anyone want to bet she makes the same as a series regular would in 20?

Sigh. I'd rather they spend that kind of money on Daniel. Carter hasn't done that much in two years.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jan 16th 2007, 11:21 AM
Post #23

General
Group Icon

Amanda is only appearing in Atlantis because she is contractually obligated to. She signed a deal to appear for two more years prior to season 10 and as season 11 didn't go ahead, she could only appear in Atlantis. Unless Amanda renews her contract, this will be her last appearance in Stargate. It has nothing to do with money.
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Jan 16th 2007, 11:36 AM
Post #24

Colonel
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jan 15th 2007, 10:24 PM) *

That just proves my definintion of a recurring character. Frasier was a recurring character in SG-1 and had a couple of "big" storylines and, as I said, so did Beckett in season 1 and Ford in season 2.

But neitehrJanet nor Frasier have been regulars reduced to recurring. Our examples should be Jonas - disappearing never to be mentioned again after 3 episodes, and Ford - disappearing never to be mentioned again after 4.
Not a great record.

(I suspect I'm still missing your point th).

As for AT doign 14 episodes, she did 15 in season 9 and was considered a regular.
+Quote Post

10 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 27th 2014 - 1:36 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.