post Jan 11th 2007, 7:42 PM
Post #1

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Season 10, Episode 12 - Line in the Sand
Air date: April 2007

After several successful tests using Merlin's device, General Landry sends SG-1 to use the device to protect a village from an aggressive Prior. But when the displacement field collapses bringing everything back into phase, the team and the village are left dangerously exposed.

Episode Guide | Spoilers | Teaser

(This topic is for people who have seen the episode to discuss it. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read this topic.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tiger2000
post Jan 16th 2007, 3:56 PM
Post #2

Airman Basic

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,251

Just finished watching the episode, I thought it was the best of the series so far, very dark, especially when the Ori massacre the unarmed villagers. Nice twist having Mitchell (with Carter's help) find a technical solotion to increasing the shield power.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jan 16th 2007, 3:59 PM
Post #3

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

Nice... smile.gif Just makes me annoyed that they cancelled it again.

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Jan 16th 2007, 3:59 PM
+Quote Post
Major dreamer
post Jan 16th 2007, 4:06 PM
Post #4

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,910

Sams password was FISHING!!!! cloud9.gif smile.gif
That just made the episode, a lovely little bit of levity in the huge dark cloud.

Though i have a question: why was Vala hardly traumatised when she saw the diagram of the 'device' that almost killed her TWICE!!!??? She seemed to get over seeing it quite rapidly, seemed strange.

Apart from that, was a really great episode, and apart from his slight slip about "keeping arms and legs inside the village" I think this has been the first episode in the last 2 seasons in which i haven't wanted to punch Miitchel!!

Oh yeh, also, is that the first time Sams ever been seriously physically injured?? Because in 10 whole seasons, i couldn't think of a single time, i'm sure there must of been but the only one that sticks in my head is Grace when she gets the concussion. unsure.gif
+Quote Post
airman smith
post Jan 16th 2007, 4:11 PM
Post #5

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,006

Yeah, I just loved the password

V. interesting that vala's hubby has doubts about the ori, considering he whacked her rather than listen to what she had to say in the first place.

+Quote Post
Nikki
post Jan 16th 2007, 5:01 PM
Post #6

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,724

Absolutely LOVED this episode. Thought it was one of the best! Loved AT's acting - she was amazing, great acting. And thought the "d'oh" as a response to the coffee being decaf and the password to her personal dierctory being 'fishing' were great Sam/Jack shippy clues without Jack being there. It was enough to appease the shippers but not enough to bother anti-shippers. Brilliant.

Also thought the development of the Sam/Cam friendship was really good - liked how they worked well together. And loved the Teal'c/Vala scene at the end - very sweet, made me laugh, lol. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jan 16th 2007, 5:05 PM
Post #7

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

Not a bad episode but not spectacular. The most interesting part was Toman choosing to question Origin. I didn't like him all that much when he first appeared but TPTB have made quite interesting, especially with this episode.
+Quote Post
JC1
post Jan 16th 2007, 5:10 PM
Post #8

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 342

QUOTE(airman smith @ Jan 16th 2007, 9:11 PM) *

V. interesting that vala's hubby has doubts about the ori, considering he whacked her rather than listen to what she had to say in the first place.

Tomen seemed to be doubting the Prior, more so than the Ori. He thinks the Prior is twisting the book of origin to suit the situation. If he truly doubted the Ori, I think he would have left with Vala.

A good episode, though. It was intresting the Prior couldn't find Mitchell and Carter, and had no idea how they disapperared. You'd think it might raise a few doubts among the Ori army.
+Quote Post
fan_83
post Jan 16th 2007, 6:12 PM
Post #9

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,930

well is there a continuity problem ? i mean at the end of last episode jackson disappeared but they weren;t at all worried at this episode? is the showing order wrong?
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jan 16th 2007, 6:24 PM
Post #10

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,340

No, the episode order is correct. They mentioned Jackson being missing when Mitchell and Sam were in the house and Sam was telling Mitchell to deliver the letters she had written.
+Quote Post
snoop1050
post Jan 16th 2007, 11:09 PM
Post #11

Airman Basic

Member No.: 10,991

QUOTE(airman smith @ Jan 16th 2007, 9:11 PM) *

Yeah, I just loved the password

didnt the prior say something like "there is only 1 truth" ? maybe he was suposed to be suggesting the story in the book isnt meant to be what really happened and thats what changed the guys mind huh.gif

anyway great ep imo pitty atlantis was crap as always dont know why they had to cancel sg1 and let atlantis have another season mad.gif
+Quote Post
Lagger
post Jan 17th 2007, 7:18 AM
Post #12

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,349

i think toman still beleives in the ORI, but like all religions, they can be hijacked by extremeists(prior/doci)

after all most of origin is about good things it seemed, forgiveness etc...

hiding villiages worked.. but they only have 1 merlin device...

i thought this was a pretty good episode..
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 17th 2007, 12:18 PM
Post #13

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,056

I thought this was a pretty good episode.

I laughed when Cam was trying to figure out how to use the computer... poor guy. I felt terrible for Vala and even for Toman. She had to watch him slaughter a group of villagers, and he had to see a Prior manipulate his faith.

Ori staff weapons use a crystal instead of liquid naquadah... they must not have naquadah in the Ori galaxy...? Maybe the Pegasus gates are powered by crystals as well...

I kinda got the feeling they were foreshadowing something with the decaf and the 'fishing' password... huh.gif
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Jan 17th 2007, 1:15 PM
Post #14

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 745

Ah, excellent episode!

I was quite surprised about the whole religion uptake. Mind you, not objecting, not objecting at all. It was a solid, honest deal with very hot issues, and their taking the metaphore one step forward has served them the best way the metaphores of science fiction have served their stories - it made it so, so real.

I had no idea proir to the episode Tomin is there (damn them! When will they learn to list guest starts in the credits after the episodes instead of after the title! they're ruining the surprise!*growls*) - it was great seeing him there, it was great having them work on Vala's and Tomin's relationship, all the residue that seems to have disappeared off the map cropped up again, Tomin's attitude for vala - I think he both loves her and hates her, and it showed. Shame we won't see him again...

Sam. Sam Sam Sam. They shoudl always let Alan McCullough write Sam, he actually does know what to do with her! Loved her ere. And this is the first time I feel there might have been a point to what wa done to her in seasons 7-8. It's still far from redeeming that awful character murder, but it's a start. Because there really was a side to her we haven't got to see before - she never got to speak of her own personal beliefs, in 10 years of the show. This is the first time we see her like that, and in a way I can see it being connected to her experiences in those seasons. I'm quite optmisitic now about Road Not taken, given that it's written by AM as well.
LoL at all the little hints - password being "fishing" and the "d'oh"... so Danielisn't the only one who's been hanging out too much with Jack! biggrin.gif Great way to insert a little bit of a Jack tribute into the episode.

Teal'c! well, okay, he was still a bit of a wallflower in this one, but definite improvement. Loved the way Vala juped on him when they came back to phase - teehee! I really enjoyed his itneraction with the village leader.

And Mitchell. Wow. Second episode in a row they manage to insert the little bits and tidbots that cause character development. So it is possible - but excuse me, where was this last season?. Great moments. It risked being cheesy at times, with all the talk about his grandmother and belief, but they manged to pull this off, so kudos.

Lastly, Daniel. Two pluses on this - first, while I think there was room for mentioning him a tad bit more, they also avoided crossing too much of the line by that. Yes, I think it would have been truer to the team ahd they mentioned him more - but that actualy gives the feeling a lot of time has passed between Quest 2 and Line in the Sand - enhanced by Sam's comment it'll take her several weeks to get better. Shroud spoilers
» Click to Show Spoiler «

And the second - and really big kudos, they avoided the trap of it being Vala who mentions him. Yes, it might have been a little bit more in character with what they've established so far if Vala would have said something - but by making it Mitchell mention him and not Vala is much ebtter for the team feel than the the other way round - back to Mitchell telling vala off in Quest.

Yay! biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Natoma
post Jan 17th 2007, 3:24 PM
Post #15

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,888

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Jan 16th 2007, 4:59 PM) *

Nice... smile.gif Just makes me annoyed that they cancelled it again.

Hear hear. Absolutely excellent episode. If this is to be SG-1's end, then they are making it such an end to be worthy of remembrance.

Great team building and character moments throughout. Classic SG-1. I'm gunna miss this show. crying.gif
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jan 17th 2007, 3:25 PM
Post #16

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

I thought this was a pretty nice episode...

1. There is a slight change of function to the device though... Last time I checked the device only transported Carter and Mitchell to another dimension, not the whole room with everything in it, including the device... I guess they modified the function of the device, and if so, how??? biggrin.gif

2. Just enjoyed the part in the episode that included Vala and Tobin. I think there is great potential for this Tobin character as well in the show...

3. It made me think a bit... Priors alter the teachings of the Book of Origin, and give people books to read? That doesn't really add up... I thought they truly believed in their religion, and wanted to follow it by the book, now they misinterpret it, or want to interpret it their way... whistling.gif

All in all, pretty good episode:

83/100
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 17th 2007, 4:55 PM
Post #17

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Jan 17th 2007, 3:25 PM) *

3. It made me think a bit... Priors alter the teachings of the Book of Origin, and give people books to read? That doesn't really add up... I thought they truly believed in their religion, and wanted to follow it by the book, now they misinterpret it, or want to interpret it their way... whistling.gif

They interpret it in whatever way is convenient for a given situation. Some of it was written to be vague, so that if circumstances changed, the same words could be used for different meaning.
+Quote Post
abacus
post Jan 17th 2007, 5:59 PM
Post #18

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,071

Oo this ep rocked. It actually got me worked up.

I know the writers would not go that dark.... and they have to save the characters to fight another TV movie/Atlantis cameo ..... but just for a minute i contemplated an end to SG1 in which main characters got fatally wounded and............................................................................ actually died. Permanently.

Admittedly it would still be too early in the season to do that but they could ratch up some serious emotion if they went there.
+Quote Post
macca99
post Jan 18th 2007, 3:03 AM
Post #19

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,072

Nvm i just watch the end of the quest one and now i can see what happened.

This post has been edited by macca99: Jan 18th 2007, 3:08 AM
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jan 18th 2007, 3:10 AM
Post #20

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(macca99 @ Jan 18th 2007, 10:03 AM) *

Nvm i just watch the end of the quest one and now i can see what happened.

Don't you mean Quest Two???

This episode is number 12 of the season, and Quest Two is number 11 of the season, you watch 12 after 11... 1.gif
+Quote Post
Rogue Ashrak
post Jan 18th 2007, 9:21 AM
Post #21

Hero of Time
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 7,502

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Jan 18th 2007, 7:25 AM) *
I thought this was a pretty nice episode...

1. There is a slight change of function to the device though... Last time I checked the device only transported Carter and Mitchell to another dimension, not the whole room with everything in it, including the device... I guess they modified the function of the device, and if so, how??? biggrin.gif

Well yeah, they mentioned that right at the beginning. They had altered the device to extend a larger field within which everything would be phase-shifted. As to how....it's Sam. Sam does stuff like this. We stopped questioning it long ago. laugh.gif

2. Just enjoyed the part in the episode that included Vala and Tobin. I think there is great potential for this Tobin character as well in the show...

Not only just Tomin, but potentially for other follwers of Origin as well. They could really explore the Ori religion, and what it would take people to question their beliefs...they touched on the idea with the rebel cells back in the Ori galaxy, but they could definitely use Tomin to take it further as well.
And I know they kinda already did that with the Jaffa rebellion and the Goa'uld, but then again the whole "false god" thing has been done too, it's a deliberate recuurring theme with a twist. I have no doubt that many interesting storylines could have been explored.

Like IP said it's episodes like this that make me even more pissed it's being cancelled. So much wasted potential....

Sounds kinda familiar doesn't it? A nice not-so-subtle jab by the writers at religious extremists who deliberately twist their supposedly peaceful religious ideas into a call to violence.

As for my thoughts on the episode, pretty much the same as you guys. Good story, great character development & interaction, and some interesting potential for future story threads. One of the best eps of the season.

This post has been edited by Rogue Ashrak: Jan 18th 2007, 9:23 AM
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jan 18th 2007, 12:01 PM
Post #22

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Rogue Ashrak @ Jan 18th 2007, 4:21 PM) *

Well yeah, they mentioned that right at the beginning. They had altered the device to extend a larger field within which everything would be phase-shifted. As to how....it's Sam. Sam does stuff like this. We stopped questioning it long ago. laugh.gif

It's not that... Not the size of the field that worried me. In Season 9, the device was not shifting everything in the field to another dimension, only people that were inside it... Now everything, including walls are shifted to another dimension. And the transfer was random in Season 9, meaning there was never a field intended. Daniel was shifted without Lee or Landry, who were in the same room. I say that the modifications are pretty important. wink.gif

This post has been edited by KillerMarv: Jan 18th 2007, 12:01 PM
+Quote Post
Matman
post Jan 18th 2007, 12:39 PM
Post #23

where's my gameboy...
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,164

Good episode, like Toman standing up to the Prior, that part was good. Fishing password was good too. At first I thought the Prior had killed Teal'c as torture like how Adria did with the Jaffa in that earlier s10 episode. But good ep, cant wait for the next one...
+Quote Post
Parmenides
post Jan 18th 2007, 1:11 PM
Post #24

Birds ate his face.
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,770

Great episode, for so many reasons.

Carter was a bit whiny once she'd been shot, but I suppose she had good reason to be. I totally thought she was dead though - we've seen people die from less. It was nice to hear her speak with some passion, and shed light on what she actually believes. Wahey, science! biggrin.gif

I really liked Tomin in this episode - you got to how much he considers Origin to be a good, moral religion, and his conviction when he stood up to the freaking Prior over the interpretation. Hopefully he won't have been killed (and let's face it, he probably won't have been 1.gif), because it'd be good to see him again. I never did buy into Vala's relationship with him - how long was she in the Ori galaxy, again? She seemed to have fallen in love with him quite quickly. I'd always been more inclined to believe that she'd just gone along with it, for the convenience of it. I suppose she did say there were just moments when she loved him. I think I've overthunk this... laugh.gif

Interesting use of Merlin's device. It's always good to see recurring plot tools. Marv, didn't you see that switch? Just beside where Mitchell put the crystal in? They just set it to "everything", whereas the default setting was "people". I'll see if I can find a screen cap... whistling.gif

I liked the village leader, though I have to say that dude's inevitable betrayal was evident all along - he just had that look about him.

Bring on next week's ep! I'm all caught up! w00t.gif
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 22nd 2014 - 8:36 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.