post Dec 20th 2006, 9:19 PM
Post #1

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Season 3, Episode 16 - The Ark
Air date: 2007

The team discovers the last of a civilization in suspended animation, whose survival is at risk when their station is critically damaged.

Episode Guide | Spoilers | Teaser

(This topic is for people who have seen the episode to discuss it. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read this topic.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Coca2Cola
post Jan 10th 2007, 1:47 AM
Post #2

Civilian
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,386

This was an ok episode. I liked how the people of the planet had used wraith tech to save there people from extinction by the wraith, and that they found another somewhat advanced human civilization in the peagaus galaxy.(This is my favorite part of Stargate) This episode felt similar to the episode "Lifeboat" from sg1. where the people were in suspended animation on a ship to save there civilization from destruction. There were of course no multiple personalities and the wraith drove these people to what they did, not a collapsing sun, this episode still reminded me of that episode from sg1.

This felt like a typical Atlantis episode. Mckay finds something interesting, turns it on and causes everyone big problems, they discover someone and the team gets seperated and then colonel Shepard saves the day at the last moment. ohmy.gif

Whats with the Apollo mission's space suits? Why did they use those for this episode? why not use something cool and shiny biggrin.gif or some ancient space suits or something?

bow.gif p.s. I do like that these episodes play in Canada 4 months before they play in America. Thank you Canada!

This post has been edited by Coca2Cola: Jan 10th 2007, 2:03 AM
+Quote Post
Lagger
post Jan 10th 2007, 6:21 AM
Post #3

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,349

hmmph... ark wasnt that good...

and once again teyla is compromised tongue.gif

+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 10th 2007, 11:27 AM
Post #4

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

I was entertained by the ep. It did remind me of the Ark. I was just happy to see an episode after such a layoff.
+Quote Post
poundpuppy29
post Jan 10th 2007, 3:18 PM
Post #5

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,703

I did like this Ep I liked the banter between Rodney and Sheppard I always enjoy that. I did like the Teyla stuff she is under utilized IMHO. I did find amusing that Rodney tried to get out of the bet he can't stand to lose can he.
+Quote Post
AngelofDarkness34994
post Jan 10th 2007, 4:14 PM
Post #6

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,002

Yeah I enjoyed the episode not my favorite episode but a fairly good episode.
+Quote Post
Xen
post Jan 10th 2007, 4:31 PM
Post #7

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,743

Good episode, mainly because I've been on a part of the set. It's always funny when Rodney and Sheppard banter. Also Ronan's and Sheppard's "fight to the death" talk.
+Quote Post
Stalky
post Jan 10th 2007, 6:12 PM
Post #8

Civilian
Group Icon

Group: New Members
Member No.: 12,440

"yaaaaaayyyy faint hope" ah that made me laugh
+Quote Post
More Cowbell!
post Jan 10th 2007, 9:39 PM
Post #9

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,532

QUOTE(poundpuppy29 @ Jan 10th 2007, 3:18 PM) *
I did like this Ep I liked the banter between Rodney and Sheppard I always enjoy that. I did like the Teyla stuff she is under utilized IMHO. I did find amusing that Rodney tried to get out of the bet he can't stand to lose can he.

Well, he really didn't make the bet, did he?

I thought this ep was so so. I'd say one of the worse from Atlantis this year. It just had this 'been there done that' feel to it for me.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 10th 2007, 11:11 PM
Post #10

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

This was a fair filler episode. Nothing really happened in it, but thats alright. I got a little bored, but I was content to watch it, overall.

We got to see Teyla do a bit more in this episode, so that was nice. Got to see Rodney whine...

My favorite part of the episode was when Weir asked Shep if he came to the infirmary to get his head examined... very nice... biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Raxor
post Jan 11th 2007, 12:16 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 174

I enjoyed this one, though i was somehow remind of that DR who episode in a similar setting (one with the black hole and the devil thing)

my favourite line was something a long 'you should have used a mac' sorry but i had to laugh

Teyla really should do a little more in the future and was good to see in this episode

I was confused when they showed the guy at the start in the shuttle with the door open > unless it had some shield tech or he was already dead with no air wouldnt it have decompressed?

My rating *** same as SG1 1011 even though it was filler i still enjoyed it
+Quote Post
Catania
post Jan 11th 2007, 2:05 PM
Post #12

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,676

I found the episode boring tho I did want to see it. the comment about the mac and when ronan fixed his arm that was cool.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 11th 2007, 3:45 PM
Post #13

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(Raxor @ Jan 11th 2007, 12:16 PM) *

I was confused when they showed the guy at the start in the shuttle with the door open > unless it had some shield tech or he was already dead with no air wouldnt it have decompressed?

The shuttle bay was pressurized. The outer doors were sealed, he ignited the engines to breach the seal and turn himself into ash. Interesting way to commit suicide, though I think he wanted to destroy his race in the process... it would be a painless death for them, I daresay.
+Quote Post
Natoma
post Jan 11th 2007, 4:08 PM
Post #14

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,888

I liked this episode except for the part where Sheppard survives the re-entry after the asteroid exploded. I mean c'mon! And then to come to a perfectly safe landing without even so much as a cracked rib? sick.gif

But other than that 5 minutes, I thought it was a really good team cohesion episode. It would've been much better imo if Sheppard had at least come away with some broken bones. Hell even show the damn ship depressurizing. Something!

That would've made it a great episode imo.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jan 12th 2007, 1:18 PM
Post #15

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

This episode was too weak for anything worthy of Stargate...

1. Didn't they conclude that there is no possible way of making heads or tails about the people inside that Wraith materialiser thing? How the frell did that guy manage to get that specific life sign out? And why was him out of all the 1,000 people the one to get out, why was he so special? And more importantly... The first guy got out and fainted because he couldn't hold it after being cramped in there, the second didn't faint... and why do you ask: Because they would have wasted time with waiting for him to recover too... dry.gif

2. How could the ship survive through an exploding hollow asteroid hurdling at 20,000 miles or more per hour through the atmosphere... Answer: IT COULDN'T... dry.gif

3. That landing the ship while an almost uncontrolled entry in the atmosphere reminded me of Star Wars Episode III... Actually it was just the same thing... And the camera job going to the ship was the same... Only thing is that R2 didn't seem to help Sheppard this time. laugh.gif

And they didn't take out any towers... whistling.gif

A poor excuse for an episode... Mark 12/100

This post has been edited by KillerMarv: Jan 12th 2007, 1:21 PM
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 12th 2007, 1:20 PM
Post #16

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Jan 12th 2007, 1:18 PM) *

This episode was too weak for anything worthy of Stargate...

1. Didn't they conclude that there is no possible way of making heads or tails about the people inside that Wraith materialiser thing? How the frell did that guy manage to get that specific life sign out? And why was him out of all the 1,000 people the one to get out, why was he so special? And more importantly... The first guy got out and fainted because he couldn't hold it after being cramped in there, the second didn't faint... and why do you ask: Because they would have wasted time with waiting for him to recover too... dry.gif

I think that is part of what that planet's engineers did to modify the device.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jan 12th 2007, 1:22 PM
Post #17

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Jan 12th 2007, 8:20 PM) *

I think that is part of what that planet's engineers did to modify the device.

Yes, so they said... It still makes for a very poor storyline though... Nothing changed.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 12th 2007, 1:25 PM
Post #18

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Jan 12th 2007, 1:22 PM) *

Yes, so they said... It still makes for a very poor storyline though... Nothing changed.

Well, I was bored the entire episode. It wasn't a bad episode, but I felt it was boring and predictable.
+Quote Post
Raxor
post Jan 12th 2007, 1:51 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 174

That may be true but i enjoyed it, not the best the series has produced, but once you disregard the obvious physics problems its not so bad
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jan 12th 2007, 1:53 PM
Post #20

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Raxor @ Jan 12th 2007, 8:51 PM) *

That may be true but i enjoyed it, not the best the series has produced, but once you disregard the obvious physics problems its not so bad

I can't do that... It's not in my nature... laugh.gif 1.gif

Probably the only positive thing about this episode is that they managed to get more of Teyla, and perhaps that we've seen Lorne again after a pretty long absence. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
deadulus101
post Jan 12th 2007, 3:05 PM
Post #21

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,157

farily decent episode. I loved the part about the mac. it really cracked me up w00t.gif I really thing they should have more lines in there like that. But it also struck me as odd that they made that joke yet everyone in atlantis uses pc's. just thought it was funny
+Quote Post
Remco
post Jan 12th 2007, 7:38 PM
Post #22

Airman Basic

Member No.: 3,269

QUOTE(Natoma @ Jan 11th 2007, 4:08 PM) *

I liked this episode except for the part where Sheppard survives the re-entry after the asteroid exploded. I mean c'mon! And then to come to a perfectly safe landing without even so much as a cracked rib? sick.gif

But other than that 5 minutes, I thought it was a really good team cohesion episode. It would've been much better imo if Sheppard had at least come away with some broken bones. Hell even show the damn ship depressurizing. Something!

That would've made it a great episode imo.

Haha, the ending felt kind of cheap indeed. An exploding asteroid and the ship is all intact? Whatever! Besides that I thought the episode was enjoyable.
+Quote Post
dr lee
post Jan 13th 2007, 12:39 PM
Post #23

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,109

Not a awful episode but then again it wasn't a great one.

I loved Sheps face when Ronon popped his shoulder back into place.

This was simply a filler episode nothing more nothing less, nice to see lorne used in a different way than simply being the one to set up the episode.

7/10
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Jan 13th 2007, 2:33 PM
Post #24

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 745

Well.
I liked this better upon second viewing, but IO still feel it was sotr of a "meh". And I can't understand why they seem to have regressed, both with The Ark and The Game, back to the season 2 pattern insteasd of contiuing the fantastic episode quality they've had so far.

First, I was really glad it didn't end up turning up as another "Lifeboat", it seemed like that at some point... a bad enough episode on its own, it doesn't need an Atlantis version!

And.. well! they gave Teyla something to do. Now, taht wasn't that hard, was it?... However Weir and Beckett still had nothign to do.
Sheppard. once again, is the hero saving the day in a copmlpetely insane plan, I could live without that part - the problem with the entire episode - there was nothing exciting about it! So you have the teaser that starts at the end of the episode - yet again, how many tiems have they done it already this year? - I mean, c'mon, the beginning teaser was enough as it was to be "exciting", I can live without the promise of action. And the risk factor was compeltely ridiocuklous. Had they lsot the Jumper or been cut off in vaccuum or were about to burn out in the atmosphere... but all three? That's when it's overdone. And therefore, addnig the "lost the control room" schtick at the middle was one thing to much, I truely did roll my eyes at that - don't get me wrong, watching Rodney gets hysterical is always fun and David Hewlett, brilliant actor as he is, always pulls it off best - but come on.
Speaking of Rodney - why did they feel the ned to regress him together with the episode? He's elarned so much this season - enough that it showed in the Game. Why throw him back into the old "Rodney square"?

Oh, and yeah, one more thing - I'm stil waiting to hear why a civilisation on a different galaxy feels like decorating/ writing on its shuttles using the Greek alphabet smile.gif
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 23rd 2014 - 8:03 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.