JTMAG1
post Jan 17th 2007, 4:57 PM
Post #25

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jan 17th 2007, 4:12 PM) *

One thing I noticed, McKay asked why the Ancients didn't use a ship 15,000 years ago to deflect the CME but Sheppard said they were in the middle of a war. What war? It wasn't the Wraith as that lasted the hundred or so years before they returned to Earth. He couldn't have been referring to the Asurans as they were created as a weapon against the Wraith. So who were they at war with?

That's a good point, I didn't notice that. i will have to watch again.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jade
post Jan 23rd 2007, 6:42 AM
Post #26

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,026

ok episode, nothing special, few good points, whale Sam 1.gif Sheppard's comment, Celine Dion, Canadian football etc. cool FX
+Quote Post
JC1
post Jan 23rd 2007, 5:55 PM
Post #27

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 342

An ok episode and quite funny in places. I found Caldwells suggestion of killing the whales with drones kind of funny. Not only is it a bit harsh, but its waste of drones.

Kind of agree with Mckay about the ZPM's, though. Ok give one to weapons platform, but giving one to the Odyssey seems like kind of a waste. Sure the shields will be stronger, but the weapons will still be completely ineffective.
+Quote Post
Parmenides
post Jan 27th 2007, 9:27 PM
Post #28

Birds ate his face.
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 6,770

Wow, so the Ancients picked a pretty sucky planet to harbour Atlantis on - first The Storm, and now this? laugh.gif

Crazy whale-lady was scary. I did not like her voice, it was very grating, which I suppose was the point. 1.gif Didn't like all that techno-lark about communicating with the whales. I've had enough of genetic memory with the Goa'uld, too - though I suppose without it, the episode doesn't really work.

Heightmeyer was...off. I really liked her in the previous episodes we had seen her in, but in this one she was a bit tragic - I actually thought she was being played by a different actress. The hair made her look younger, and less sage, and her acting was so hammy and incidental, I almost thought it was on purpose, and she knew more than she was letting on. Teyla was good, but I was hoping for the episode to focus more on her, at the beginning - I was a bit disappointed when it turned out everyone had the visions...but it turned out to be a pretty good episode anyway.

I should probably complain about the coronal mass ejection, given that I'm an astronomy student...but meh, I'm willing to suspend my disbelief. It would've been better if the stream had been less perfect though...and given the sheer unlikelihood of it hitting Atlantia, given the beam's size, I would've preferred if they'd said it would envelope a larger portion of the planet's orbit - then I wouldn't gripe as much about the probability of it happening twice. 1.gif

ZPMs, woop. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Feb 1st 2007, 4:28 AM
Post #29

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

The way that coronal mass ejection looked in this episode, it reminded me of the Ori weapons they use on their ships. The only difference would be that the Ori warship's fire is probably much weaker than this. But if the Daedalus fared so well against it with a ZPM (I'm not saying without damage), surely we could stand more against an Ori warship.
+Quote Post
Sam_Carter
post Mar 1st 2007, 1:44 PM
Post #30

Airman Basic

Member No.: 4,827

i mostly liked this episode because of the character developements..
i thought the Teyla and Ronan interaction didn't look forced.. and they had scenes before.. i think they would make a nice couple (i might turn into a Teyla/Ronan shipper) smile.gif
but i liked all the interactions of all the characters and i had a lot to laugh

I didn't like the fact that the frequency created by the whales killed ppl, i think it is ok for them to warn the ppl on atlantis.. but kill them?
it would have made more sense if mccay would have found something in the database to counteract the effects..
about that whole sun emission thing... I'm no scientist but it was hard for me to believe that the daedalus was able to deflect that beam without any serious damage to the ship.. i guess here it shows again how powerfull a ZPM really is smile.gif
+Quote Post
Cindy
post Apr 6th 2007, 5:23 AM
Post #31

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,647

very nice ep. shep carrying weir and ronon never leaving teylas bedside cloud9.gif aww. the whole coronal mass emission being reflected by the daedalus was awesome.
Very funny when shep and mckay were in the infirmary and shep was yelling ramdom things that would normaly annoy mckay and he only looked up when shep called him meredith biggrin.gif

I for one hated the noises those hollograms made dry.gif very annoying
+Quote Post
startreksuite
post Apr 20th 2007, 10:26 PM
Post #32

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,622

Great episode! Didn't know that they were going to steal a little bit of Star Trek IV here! Of course the whales here were trying to warn Atlantis of an impending threat, not just look for their friends! Loved it when Shep tested Rodney's hearing and said, "Zelenka is smarter than you!", and "Meredith!" All of the ideas came together well for this ep!
Sheppard.gif
+Quote Post
Sylver
post Apr 21st 2007, 6:21 AM
Post #33

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,115

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jan 17th 2007, 5:12 PM) *

One thing I noticed, McKay asked why the Ancients didn't use a ship 15,000 years ago to deflect the CME but Sheppard said they were in the middle of a war. What war? It wasn't the Wraith as that lasted the hundred or so years before they returned to Earth. He couldn't have been referring to the Asurans as they were created as a weapon against the Wraith. So who were they at war with?

I noticed that, too. I was under the impression that the war lasted long, but it was something like 10,000 years ago as opposed to 15,000. Which isn't a lot during that scale, but still wouldn't be during this particular time. And why did the beam of light head directly for Atlantis? All that empty space and the planet's sitting right there. I hope it had more to offer than giant sea life and an ocean for them to build on, it's not turning out to be very hospitable, lol.

Great character interaction, I loved the Teyla/Ronan parts - finally! They get whole scenes, not just amusedly sarcastic looks or a couple of quips. And McKay, well I always love him, and his Samantha obsession is bizarrely (and creepily) cute. Zelenka - so underused, this was the perfect episode to have him in. He's the perfect scientific foil for McKay.

Those accolades said, I wish there was a little more character growth. There was great interaction, but they were all reacting to the (big, giant) whales and the effects of their song. Eh, I guess I can't have everything I want in one episode.
+Quote Post
Kate
post Apr 21st 2007, 4:55 PM
Post #34

Airman Basic

Member No.: 5,412

Good ep. Wasn't fond of the warped voices either. I loved the interaction with Sheppard and McKay!
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Apr 21st 2007, 6:41 PM
Post #35

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

QUOTE(Sylver @ Apr 21st 2007, 12:21 PM) *
I noticed that, too. I was under the impression that the war lasted long, but it was something like 10,000 years ago as opposed to 15,000. Which isn't a lot during that scale, but still wouldn't be during this particular time.
From the Atlantis team's perspective it happened over 10,000 years ago but it was said the war with the Wraith lasted around a hundred years prior to the Ancients returning to Earth. Someone screwed up because TPTB have never hinted that the war with the Wraith lasted over five thousand years.
+Quote Post
ancient01
post Apr 21st 2007, 7:48 PM
Post #36

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,239

I thought the episode was ok, but just that. I can't really say why, but it just didn't keep my interest much. I think the pacing of the story was off. It was pretty convenient that they got the Daedelus in position and the zpm online at exactly the time that the discharge started. Dramatic effect is one thing, but wan't the timing a little contrived? I still can't say I didn't enjoy it, though. Maybe I'm just hard up for new episodes...
+Quote Post
Sighfienerd
post Apr 21st 2007, 10:31 PM
Post #37

Beyond here there be dragons
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,150

Good point, Hobo - about the CME being shown as a concentrated ray and not a more randomly-shaped explosion, because if it had been the latter...that suuurre would have caused a problem in the resolution of this storyline. biggrin.gif

I liked the episode, though I'm thinking it was a bit of a stretch (even with McKay's brilliance) to be able to determine the exact nature of the threat in such a short period of time.given its extreme rarity. It seemed just way too glib and facile, although the ancient woman's "language" was a dead giveaway that the communication came from the whales.

And I don't know, but wouldn't bleeding from the ears indicate some kind of really serious damage, such as burst eardrums? But ahhh...I can go with the flow.... biggrin.gif

I did like both Teyla and Ronan in this ep too. They both seem more spontaneous and natural and "real," if you will. I don't know about sexual chemistry there though - they seem more brother and sister to me. unsure.gif That pairing seems too obvious and humdrum anyway. Now, I think Weir could yank his dreds.... whistling.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Apr 22nd 2007, 1:22 AM
Post #38

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,622

Okay, I have to say it, they finally gave Teyla something to do that wasn't just standing around and hitting on people.

I loved this episode because Zelenka was in it and had a pretty good part. I cracked up, Shep came up with the idea to save the day, not Rodney. I get so sick and tired of it being Rodney all the time.

I did like the whales, first to warn them, then to hide themselves and save themselves, LOL! Shep, "wonder what they taste like?" wink.gif

So three ZPMs, but Atlantis only has one. Poor Rodney, he wanted them all. wink.gif
+Quote Post
Teyla Emmagan
post Apr 22nd 2007, 5:46 PM
Post #39

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,081

This over all my fav so far anyways .

I wished that John and Teyla where sparring when she began to see the visions .
And Teyla and Ronon becoming a couple no offense save your breath . And it's all Brother and Sister relationship . And John seemed really broken up after he asked Ronon how she was doing towards the end .

But I'm a bow.gif Sheyla shipper anyway but overall i can love this one for everyone's part love weir

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Apr 23rd 2007, 2:00 PM
Post #40

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

QUOTE(Teyla Emmagan @ Apr 23rd 2007, 1:46 AM) *

But I'm a bow.gif Sheyla shipper anyway but overall i can love this one for everyone's part love weir

Yes, we can tell that you're a Teyla shipper. And I presume that Sheyla means Sheppard + Teyla. You should take it as a joke, but Sheyla really sounds weird. Teyppard would have been much better. 1.gif

On second thought, neah... I think we should leave their names intact. 1.gif
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Apr 23rd 2007, 4:59 PM
Post #41

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Apr 23rd 2007, 2:00 PM) *

Yes, we can tell that you're a Teyla shipper. And I presume that Sheyla means Sheppard + Teyla. You should take it as a joke, but Sheyla really sounds weird. Teyppard would have been much better. 1.gif

On second thought, neah... I think we should leave their names intact. 1.gif

I doubt it makes any difference since they really haven't even hinted at a Shep/Teyla thing. But they have hinted at a Teyla and Ronin thing. wink.gif
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Apr 23rd 2007, 6:55 PM
Post #42

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Apr 23rd 2007, 10:59 PM) *
I doubt it makes any difference since they really haven't even hinted at a Shep/Teyla thing. But they have hinted at a Teyla and Ronin thing. wink.gif
They've hinted at a Sheppard/Teyla releationship a few times. The sexual tension when we first see Teyla training Sheppard is clear and the scene where Sheppard kisses Teyla in 'Conversion' also hints that he feels something for her and more so when they are fighting in that episode.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Apr 24th 2007, 2:38 AM
Post #43

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Apr 23rd 2007, 6:55 PM) *

They've hinted at a Sheppard/Teyla releationship a few times. The sexual tension when we first see Teyla training Sheppard is clear and the scene where Sheppard kisses Teyla in 'Conversion' also hints that he feels something for her and more so when they are fighting in that episode.

I don't want a ship thing on Atlantis, but if it did happen, I have seen more tension and shippiness between Weir and Shep than Teyla and Shep. Shep and Teyla do not work for me. Maybe I don't want it because for me, at least, Teyla is a wasted character and should actually be gone from the show.
+Quote Post
thefirstone
post Apr 24th 2007, 12:03 PM
Post #44

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,686

I also agree that if there was going to be a ship it would be Shep and Weir or Teyla and Ronon. I personally hate shipping, It makes the show seem less of a sci-fi and more of a soap opera. If I want soap operas I'll watch Eastenders(British Soap opera) or something.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 21st 2014 - 10:43 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.