Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> About this area

The loitering zone is for discussions about things other than Stargate. Please use the appropriate section when posting, and be sure to read the forum rules.

Loitering Zone Index: Off Topic Chatter | TV, Movies & Music | Computer Talk | Sports Talk | Forum Games

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The *new* NHL
hobo_joe20
post Oct 31st 2006, 4:27 PM
Post #1

Brigadier General
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,055

Ok, its been over a year since the new rules have been enforced and we have seen teams emerge from the depths of despair only to flourish under the new league rules (mainly the salary cap). This year is no exception, for who should make a return to at least the middle of the pack but ... Pittsburg. Man, I don't think many people saw this coming. Crosby was there, yes, but 1 man can only do so much (as was seen last season with Pittsburg terrible standings, as well as Ovechkin on washington). However, it seems that his backup has finally arrived.

Enter Malkin. Put him on a line with Crosby and just watch the puck magically appear in the back of the net. They are being compared to the dynamic duo of Lemieux and Yagr when they were on top of their game. Goaltenders beware.

Enter the next Stall. A defenseman who was only supposed to play 9 games this season, and then return to the minors after his taste in the NHL, Pittsburg has picked up Jordan Stall for the remainder of the season. This guy is a force to be reconed with, already having scored 3 short-handed goals. THREE!

Finally, Fleury returns. A few years ago during his rookie season he was outstanding between the pipes. Last season, he bombed out and was sent back to the minors. After a not-so-great start in the pre-season he has really turned up the heat and is performing quite the well.

so there you have it folks. This team WILL be cup contenders in 2-3 years. Just watch. for now, they will squeak by into the playoffs, but won't make it all the way. They need a little more to their team for that. BUT if they can somehow manage to keep a hold of all 4 players I listed above for at least the next 5 years, they will truely be a force to be reconed with ... again. And who knows, they just may end up back up here in good 'ol Canada if the new owner has anything to say about it.

So what are your thoughts on this season? Whose your team to watch? or your player(s)?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Beka
post Nov 11th 2006, 6:21 PM
Post #2

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,791

Hey ya, I'm new and thought I'd stick my oar in!

Who am I rooting for? Ottawa Sens baby.
Okay, so they just got off the longest losing streak they've had in 10 years! And so what if that streak ten years ago consisted of just 18 wins all season!
Look at the young talent that team has and tell me why they're not winning? With the likes of Spezza, and Heatly, Fisher, Redden, and Mezaros, what could they be lacking?
Sure, Gerber is a great goalie, but mayhaps the pressure is getting to him a wee bit? Poor guy gets blamed for everything, and sometimes I find even myself yelling for the hook! Where's Emery when you need him?
All I can do is sit back and shake my head.
This team was in the top two pick for the Cup last year, and look at them now!
But on the other hand, they have cleaned TO's clock, which is strange, because other years they could kick everyone EXPECT our neighbouring Ontario team. Now it seems they are the only ones we can win against.
Here's hoping that lovely win the other night, with a score of 6-3 will inspire a bit of confidence this team suddenly seems to be lacking.

And by the way, I'd like to offer my congrats to Pittsburg for picking up Staal. Hockey runs in that family's blood, without a doubt, and I look forward to seeing what he does the rest of the season!!

Here's to a good season! Bring it on!
+Quote Post
Shadoworca
post Feb 20th 2007, 9:42 AM
Post #3

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,294

OK i'm a bit late here cos it's already started lol.

All i have to say is LET'S GO LIGHTNING happy.gif i love Tampa Bay they rule.

Tampa are doing good so far this season they are i think in 10th at the moment and also with Martin St.Louis and Vincent Lecaviler 2nd and 3rd in the top scoreres.

I think they will get into the playoffs this season. They have a good netminder Marc Denis,he's a very good goalie.I also think they have good defence and offence they're a good all around team. biggrin.gif

Even though the rules have changed i think it's still good hockey and it's a faster game smile.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 24th 2014 - 9:52 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.