> Torchwood [Latest Ep 103], Spinoff, Spoilers Within
Invisible Painting
post Oct 31st 2006, 6:27 PM
Post #49

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,819

I don't watch the 'next week on...' so I don't know what you're all talking about biggrin.gif As for jack, I like the fact that the story is told from Gwen's point of view, I prefere her character to jacks (although arguably that might be because we've experienced it from her side) but I just find her a bit more...normal. But as for jack, I personally don't think he's necessery necessery in the show, but if they give him a role that for once only HE can do, then maybe he'll have a necesity to actually be in the show, other then just the fact that they liked his character. I don't dislike him though, but think the show isn't necessery for him.

But yeah it was an alright episode, quite good I guess, still prefered the first though 1.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mithwriter
post Oct 31st 2006, 8:57 PM
Post #50

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 885

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Oct 31st 2006, 6:27 PM) *

IBut as for jack, I personally don't think he's necessery necessery in the show, but if they give him a role that for once only HE can do, then maybe he'll have a necesity to actually be in the show, other then just the fact that they liked his character. I don't dislike him though, but think the show isn't necessery for him.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you there. Without Jack around with his unique insight about the future, I think Torchwood would end up like Henry Van Statten's concrete bunker site in the DW ep Dalek. They would have stuff floating in from the rift and no real way of knowing how to use it, let alone even figure out what it is.

The thing I like about not giving Jack center stage is that it gives the audience time to get used to his supporting crew. Not only that, but I think the elements about what's happened to him since TPOTW have given him a darker edge. I mean think about it. He's a former Time Agent who's now (presumably) trapped in one era with no way out, he can't sleep, he can't permanantly die, and he knows that something is going to happen in the 21st century that's going to change 'everything'.

sh*t, I would be bit cranky too... laugh.gif

This post has been edited by mithwriter: Oct 31st 2006, 8:58 PM
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Jan 3rd 2007, 10:23 AM
Post #51

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 745

So, why couldn't all episodes be like Captain Jack Harkness and End of Days? those were brilliant!

+Quote Post
Pitry
post Jan 4th 2007, 5:39 PM
Post #52

Colonel
Group Icon

Yup - they anounced it about two weeks ago, it's been renewed for a second season (on BBC 2 apparently, rather than BBC3. What's the differnece?)

However.... DW season3 spoilers / Torchwood season 2 speculations....
» Click to Show Spoiler «

er, spoilers for the actual episodes...
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Jan 5th 2007, 3:56 AM
Post #53

Colonel
Group Icon

+Quote Post
Sam&Jack4eva
post Feb 3rd 2007, 1:37 PM
Post #54

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,461

QUOTE(Pitry @ Jan 3rd 2007, 10:23 AM) *

So, why couldn't all episodes be like Captain Jack Harkness and End of Days? those were brilliant!

i agree, they were AWESOME!

i like big stompy monsters which was certainly a relation of the doctor's satan, i like jack, i like jack shipping it up with blokes, i like dealing with big issues such as racism and how society changes for the better and i liked gwens grief acting.

it was a real shame the middle episodes were rubbish, because by the time it got the the good ones all of my friends had stopped watching it. and it makes a sadist out of the viewer...well, me. when the episodes get bad, the characters get soapy you stop loving them and start rooting for gwen and owen to get a battering.

other than some episodes being generally rubbish i dislike: countrycide (a worse version of generally bad slashers flicks), sex for the sake of it, gwen stealing the limelight from jack and the fact that torchwood is so convinced guns are cool. It is set in WALES, for crying out loud! The police hardly ever use fire arms, let alone the flashy killing machines jack and company are forever toting. Guns are not cool...unless they shoot lasers.

even so i will be looking forward to next season, and not just because john barrowman is a hottie. ianto is also quite exciting. lol!

-----------------------

ja, jack IS in love with the doctor, but for now jack/ianto will do just fine. I really doubt anything will become of jack and the doc, because they'd have to have a long distance relationship, on the doctor who side a fairly chaste one, on the torchwood side the stuff that nc-17 slashers can only dream of. w00t.gif
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Apr 8th 2007, 11:18 PM
Post #55

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

Right, I'll do what I sometimes do, drag up old threads when I see episodes 3 months late biggrin.gif I just watched the last 8 episodes of torchwood though in the last week and a bit, having seen none of them. Firstly, I must say, after not being entirely sure I do find it a very good show. Although unlike you guys I actually prefered the middle episodes, don't get me wrong I liked the last episode, especially the tardis sounds at the end lol. But I started to become a fan more for the characters, which got stronger in the middle episodes. Episodes like 7, 8 and 9 I felt were very good, and the best ones. The last two episodes were more about the situation though, I prefered the ones where a character was the centre of the story. And I prefered those episodes rather then the last one/two.

But yeah, will be interesting to see season 2. Wonder if the doctor will be in it at some point, something tells me no though.

But it is a show that has really caught my attention through watching them through and do think it's a very good show.
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Apr 9th 2007, 1:12 PM
Post #56

Colonel
Group Icon

Oh, I loved episodes 7,8,9, my problem is more with 5-6 and 11...
And I dunno, episode 12 (Captain Jack Harkness) does seem to me to be the perfect combination ebtween plot adbvancing (opening the rift for End of Days) and character episode (for Jack). I agree End of Days is much more plot-centred, but it was cool smile.gif

I would have loved weeing the Doctor in Torchwood - I really think that in that enviornment they can do things with the character that would be both in-character and yet stuff they can't do in Doctor Who because of its children-friendly nature... however I don't think they would: RTD said at one point they thought about bringing the Daleks to Torchwood and gave it up cos they were too afraid it would tempt little kids to watch. If that's the deal with the Daleks I'm pretty sure it's the same consideration with the Doctor, which is prolly why the TARDIS was only heard and not seen...

last three episodes for DW's series 3 spoilers
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post Apr 23rd 2007, 5:15 PM
Post #57

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 13,463

I just finished marathon-viewing the first season of Torchwood... cool2.gif

I realize those of us in the U.S. are not supposed to lay eyes on Torchwood, but I did! And I really liked it....ALOT. My only complaint with it was having Capt. Jack's sexual preferences known. I will freely admit I am extremely prudish in my ways, and I have a hard time seeing past my upbringing in this particular matter. That and the swearing. It just seems like they are doing it just because they can. But then again, maybe it's just me...

That is not to say that I don't like the character or the series. I immensely enjoyed watching them and cannot wait to see more!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 28th 2014 - 8:31 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.