Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> News Info

You can always read the latest 20 news stories at: www.sg1archive.com/news

Tip: Receive the latest Stargate news via email by subscribing to this forum.

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Stargate SG-1 Direct-to-DVD Movies Coming Next Year?, News from TVguide.com
hobo_joe20
post Oct 16th 2006, 11:57 AM
Post #25

Brigadier General
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,055

QUOTE(Elan_Morin @ Oct 16th 2006, 12:33 PM) *

As others have said, the first film looks like it could potentially be good. The fact that they are using it to tie up the Ori storyline means they're not going to finish it up in a crappy way with the series finale. I have to admit, that was a worry. Still, I think the Ori storyline is going to lose potential without at least another season.

I also tend to agree with others on being weary of a time travel story for a second movie, especially if it elimates/changes the timeline events in the series for the last ten years.

Elan

Well IF they do plan on having it launch another spin-off, they could use the timetravelling in a way that wouldn't base the spinoff in timetravelling. aka a timetravelling experiment goes bonkers, sends someone somewhere sometime and away you go. This would also keep it seperate from Atlantis and continuity wouldn't be so much of a hassle anymore. But you never know *shrug*

its that, or: Stargate SG1: Jack in Time

This post has been edited by hobo_joe20: Oct 16th 2006, 11:58 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
cosmos
post Oct 16th 2006, 1:33 PM
Post #26

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,080

Exciting news about the movies. However the second one, what a waste, time travel is nothing but trouble and ridiculous complexity.

The only way I see myself potentially enjoying such a movie is if the time travellers are a third party from the future (not themselves in the future) who come back to the past to ask SG-1's assistance. So SG-1 would be allowed to interfere with their future affairs without affecting their own present or past.

Maybe it will be the pilot for a new spin-off series based solely in the distant future. That way the new series could potentially be based exactly as Stargate SG-1 has run the last 10 years but with a new look and feel of the premises and set up.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Oct 16th 2006, 1:57 PM
Post #27

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

Yeah, to be honest I'd be up for an idea of a spin off set far in the future. Sg1 isn't a franchise which in my opinion is married to a particular time frame, it could work quite well in the future with still being good and believable and in the universe. It could be really good... I'd be up for it.

As for the time travel story, I'd be fine with it IF it was set in the future, that's not been done before and could be good. And set up something potentially. Let's see.
+Quote Post
Lisa
post Oct 16th 2006, 2:12 PM
Post #28

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,556

Is anyone else just slightly worried about a...."time" related episode? I mean, haven't we as fans kind of complained about these kinds of episodes in the past?

And, even though I am ESTATIC to hear the news...I'm just worried about Stargate SG-1 ending in a "And they all lived happily ever after" kind of ending. If anything, this show has not preached the 'happily ever after' kind of endings. So...it'll definately be interesting to see how things play out.

But, hey, I'll take what I can get. 1.gif YAY SG-1!!!
+Quote Post
hobo_joe20
post Oct 16th 2006, 2:16 PM
Post #29

Brigadier General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lisa @ Oct 16th 2006, 3:12 PM) *

Is anyone else just slightly worried about a...."time" related episode? I mean, haven't we as fans kind of complained about these kinds of episodes in the past?

In fact, the previous 2 pages have been people saying the exact same thing. So I would bargain that yes, people are slightly worries.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Oct 16th 2006, 2:48 PM
Post #30

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Sorry I would just like to add that people did like 1969 and 2010, the only time travel one people DIDN'T really like was mobius so I don't really see what the problem was. Presuming it was bad because one episode on the topic was bad isn't really that fair imo... We'll see when we see it. But given that it is a film I'm sure it would be good.
+Quote Post
Parmenides
post Oct 16th 2006, 2:56 PM
Post #31

Birds ate his face.
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,770

QUOTE(xayeidemon @ Oct 16th 2006, 4:02 PM) *

"When this gate hits 88 miles per hour, run. It'll probably have Goa'uld coming out of it."

This made me laugh. laugh.gif It was actually on TV last night, and I couldn't resist watching it. 1.gif

QUOTE(Janos @ Oct 16th 2006, 3:04 PM) *

I wonder if, on the spinoff, we'll see a time traveling SG team. It'd be a chance to see more of the ancients, the Goa'uld, the alliance, dead characters, etc...... huh.gif

Like Doctor Who? biggrin.gif That'd be interesting, but a show like SG-1 can't get away with what DW does - they'd have to deal with the ramifications of all the time paradoxes, self-fulfilling prophecies, and closed loops...and what not...which would get rather convoluted, unless they planned it out all from the beginning...which I doubt they have the foresight to do.

I'm not sure what I'd like the spin-off to be.

...oh, and woop; movies. 1.gif
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Oct 16th 2006, 3:08 PM
Post #32

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Oct 16th 2006, 8:48 PM) *
Sorry I would just like to add that people did like 1969 and 2010, the only time travel one people DIDN'T really like was mobius so I don't really see what the problem was. Presuming it was bad because one episode on the topic was bad isn't really that fair imo... We'll see when we see it. But given that it is a film I'm sure it would be good.

'1969' and '2010' were good because Brad Wright wrote them, he was involved with 'Moebius' along with Robert Cooper but so were Mullie and Mallozzi. See, there's a pattern emerging.
+Quote Post
mithwriter
post Oct 16th 2006, 3:54 PM
Post #33

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 885

QUOTE(hobo_joe20 @ Oct 16th 2006, 12:57 PM) *

Well IF they do plan on having it launch another spin-off, they could use the timetravelling in a way that wouldn't base the spinoff in timetravelling. aka a timetravelling experiment goes bonkers, sends someone somewhere sometime and away you go.

I think Scott Bakula is available. Dean Stockwell, however, is busy being an evil Cylon right now on BSG. whistling.gif

This post has been edited by mithwriter: Oct 16th 2006, 3:54 PM
+Quote Post
hobo_joe20
post Oct 16th 2006, 3:56 PM
Post #34

Brigadier General
Group Icon

QUOTE(mithwriter @ Oct 16th 2006, 4:54 PM) *

I think Scott Bakula is available. Dean Stockwell, however, is busy being an evil Cylon right now on BSG. whistling.gif

I think I be too young to get this reference sad.gif. I assume it has something to do with a rehashed show idea though ...
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Oct 16th 2006, 4:04 PM
Post #35

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Oct 16th 2006, 9:08 PM) *

'1969' and '2010' were good because Brad Wright wrote them, he was involved with 'Moebius' along with Robert Cooper but so were Mullie and Mallozzi. See, there's a pattern emerging.

And guess who's writing the new one biggrin.gif Wright is, should be no problem then should there wink.gif

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Oct 16th 2006, 4:05 PM
+Quote Post
mithwriter
post Oct 16th 2006, 4:59 PM
Post #36

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 885

QUOTE(hobo_joe20 @ Oct 16th 2006, 4:56 PM) *

I think I be too young to get this reference sad.gif. I assume it has something to do with a rehashed show idea though ...

From Wikipedia...

Scott Stewart Bakula (born October 9, 1954) is an American actor most famous for leading roles in two science fiction television series, Quantum Leap and Star Trek: Enterprise.

His performance in Romance, Romance and his Tony nomination helped him win the lead role opposite Dean Stockwell in the critically acclaimed television series Quantum Leap. In this science fiction series, Bakula played the time traveler Dr. Sam Beckett who was trapped by a malfunction of his time machine that inserts his consciousness into people in the past. His performance in this program would earn him a Golden Globe award (along with three nominations) and four Emmy nominations for Best Actor. Low ratings for this series caused its cancellation in 1993.

Stockwell's performance as Tony inspired producer Donald Bellisario to cast him in what would arguably become his best-known role, as Rear Admiral Albert "Al" Calavicci in the American TV series Quantum Leap, which aired between 1989 and 1993. Stockwell also appeared as a guest star on an episode Star Trek: Enterprise with former co-star of Quantum Leap, Scott Bakula.

Great show, BTW..definitely DVD worthy
+Quote Post
Janos
post Oct 16th 2006, 8:43 PM
Post #37

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,403

QUOTE(hobo_joe20 @ Oct 16th 2006, 2:56 PM) *

Oh.My.God.

You're making me feel old crying.gif

+Quote Post
Magnavox
post Oct 16th 2006, 9:12 PM
Post #38

Posts with an accent...
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,724

QUOTE(Janos @ Oct 16th 2006, 8:43 PM) *

Oh.My.God.

You're making me feel old crying.gif

Dont feel old, I'm only a week and a half older than Hobo and I got it. biggrin.gif 1.gif
+Quote Post
xayeidemon
post Oct 16th 2006, 9:16 PM
Post #39

Always a cousin, never a boochi!
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,544

Doo do do doodoo doo doo do doooo....

I cried on the episodes when he leaped (lept?) into that retarded kid. I also cried on the last episode, but that was mostly out of frustration.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Oct 16th 2006, 9:21 PM
Post #40

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(hobo_joe20 @ Oct 16th 2006, 4:56 PM) *

Seriously?

I watched Quantum Leap on television when I was younger, and you are older than I am.

Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell are awsome. Dean Stockwell was in a season 6 episode of SG-1... He was from Kelowna.
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Oct 16th 2006, 9:23 PM
Post #41

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,411

QUOTE(xayeidemon @ Oct 16th 2006, 9:16 PM) *

Doo do do doodoo doo doo do doooo....

I cried on the episodes when he leaped (lept?) into that retarded kid. I also cried on the last episode, but that was mostly out of frustration.

Yeah, Bellisario is reknowned for screwing up the last episodes of his shows. Look what he did to "JAG." Ended it with a flip of a coin and Mac and Harm never got horizontal...I'm still pissed.
+Quote Post
hobo_joe20
post Oct 16th 2006, 9:30 PM
Post #42

Brigadier General
Group Icon

Now that someone has mentioned Quantum Leap, I understand it all biggrin.gif

Basically, I suck with actor/actress names. If you tell me "oh, I like such and such an actor" I will stare at you blankly unless you follow up with an example of a character he/she played. So, I now understand said comment. 1.gif
+Quote Post
danielfan
post Oct 16th 2006, 9:46 PM
Post #43

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,002

Basically, I suck with actor/actress names. If you tell me "oh, I like such and such an actor" I will stare at you blankly unless you follow up with an example of a character he/she played. So, I now understand said comment

LOL my husband is the same way.

As for the second movie/time travel
SG does time travel well IMHO. Even M&M couldn't screw it up in moebius.

QL..... My fav scifi show by far. I love SG1, the origional BSG all the STs but if I was was locked in a room for a month and could only pick on TV show to watch over and over, it would be QL.
+Quote Post
slayr-cxf50
post Oct 17th 2006, 12:27 AM
Post #44

Airman Basic

Member No.: 12,639

Hmm.. I thought Moebius was a good ending-of-season episode. Perhaps this movie will be done in similar style.
+Quote Post
Janos
post Oct 17th 2006, 1:32 PM
Post #45

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

QUOTE(xayeidemon @ Oct 16th 2006, 8:16 PM) *

I also cried on the last episode, but that was mostly out of frustration.

Yeah, that was pretty retarded.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Oct 17th 2006, 1:54 PM
Post #46

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,340

QUOTE(xayeidemon @ Oct 17th 2006, 3:16 AM) *
I also cried on the last episode, but that was mostly out of frustration.
Wasn't he supposed to have leapt out of the period of his own life and somewhere into the future after the last episode?
+Quote Post
Janos
post Oct 17th 2006, 3:15 PM
Post #47

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

Nope. He leapt into a time that existed before he was born (which wasn't supposed to happen) And it turns out he didn't have to do anything. It also turns out there was another leaper there who did the saving and it was kind of a break for him. And we find out that God is the Bartender in the town and tells him that he's giving Sam a break this time because he's done so much of God's work. And then he leaps out and continues a lifetime of leaping. And basically he never gets home. He always keeps leaping.

Kind of a crappy ending IMO.
+Quote Post
ancient01
post Oct 17th 2006, 4:26 PM
Post #48

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,239

I thought God/ Bartender gave him control of the leaping so he could leap anywhere he wanted?? Wasn't that the point to him asking where he would want to leap?

Time travel is just bad news. I hope they go into the future. At least that means they won't screw up their timeline. They find out how screwed up things will become and come back to the SGC to try and fix things.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 18th 2014 - 10:39 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.