Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> News Info

You can always read the latest 20 news stories at: www.sg1archive.com/news

Tip: Receive the latest Stargate news via email by subscribing to this forum.

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Stargate SG-1 Direct-to-DVD Movies Coming Next Year?, News from TVguide.com
Arcady
post Oct 14th 2006, 2:54 PM
Post #1

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

According to a report at TVguide.com, MGM has granted a green light to produce two Stargate SG-1 movies, most likely for DVD. Executive producer Brad Wright told TV Guide that the first movie will tie up most of the series finale's loose threads — "It's the climax of the Ori story line" — and will be written-directed by executive producer Robert Cooper. The second film, penned by Wright, will involve time travel, and both projects should debut in the fall of 2007.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Arcady
post Oct 14th 2006, 2:55 PM
Post #2

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

The original news item on TVGUIDE is located here.

GateWorld rehashed the same TV Guide news here.

Another take at Film Fodder is available here.

Here's SyFyPortal quoting GateWorld quoting TV Guide: link

Meanwhile, MGM has not independently confirmed any of this.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Oct 14th 2006, 3:27 PM
Post #3

Major General
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,622

It's great to finally see some great news... One thing might be that it's great to hear that this season will probably end with a cliffhanger, and secondly that they didn't give up the Ori storyline, nor they gave up the actors, althought the third article said that none have signed yet. Which one is more recent again? 1.gif

I wonder how much it would take them to finish filming the two movies. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Oct 14th 2006, 3:43 PM
Post #4

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Oct 14th 2006, 9:27 PM) *
I wonder how much it would take them to finish filming the two movies. biggrin.gif
Say that each movie is two hours in length, each episode takes around a week to film so the movies should take around six weeks to film in total. You have to remember these won't be huge budget movies, they are more likely to be long episodes of SG-1. Given they are due out within a year and, so far, none of the cast have been signed and the scripts aren't completed, filming won't take all that long.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Oct 14th 2006, 3:49 PM
Post #5

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Oct 14th 2006, 11:43 PM) *

Say that each movie is two hours in length, each episode takes around a week to film so the movies should take around six weeks to film in total. You have to remember these won't be huge budget movies, they are more likely to be long episodes of SG-1. Given they are due out within a year and, so far, none of the cast have been signed and the scripts aren't completed, filming won't take all that long.

Yeah, but they will invest more money than for regular episodes... Post-production won't be a high budget enterprise, but it will surely be big enough to employ enough special effects to be attractive. I say that it is safe to assume that they can invest as much money as they invest for an entire season, plus some bonus, on these two movies. Even with half of season's budget they can still make two movies look good enough though.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Oct 14th 2006, 4:06 PM
Post #6

General
Group Icon

I doubt they'd invest as much as they do for a whole season. An episode of SG-1 costs at least $2 million, I doubt MGM would give $40 million for production of two straight to DVD movies.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Oct 14th 2006, 4:27 PM
Post #7

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Oct 15th 2006, 12:06 AM) *

I doubt they'd invest as much as they do for a whole season. An episode of SG-1 costs at least $2 million, I doubt MGM would give $40 million for production of two straight to DVD movies.

I don't think that every episode in a season costs that much though. Some have no special effects at all...

Or, 2 million is the air time (e.g. 45 minutes) budget applied to an episode? If that is so, they can invest $6 million for the air time, and add some $5-6 million more for the post-production for each of the movies. That would make let's say $25 million for both movies... Which is not too much IMO...
+Quote Post
DrM007
post Oct 14th 2006, 4:30 PM
Post #8

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,109

All that is great, but ... time travel? That is ... cheating. They might as well end the Ori storyline in the last episode, during ending credits. It would be still better than time travel ... smile.gif
But I'm ok with two movies. I mean I'd rather see whole season, but movies at least can't have filler episodes ...
So this will have length of what, four regular episodes, maybe five... Will that be enough? Well let's see the last 10 episodes first and then we'll know more.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Oct 14th 2006, 4:33 PM
Post #9

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Oct 14th 2006, 10:27 PM) *
I don't think that every episode in a season costs that much though. Some have no special effects at all...
Multichannel reported in an article:
"Stargate SG-1 is a mature series and production costs continue to mount: it's budgeted for at least $2 million U.S. per episode. Tax breaks remain in place, but the costs advantages of filming in Vancouver have evaporated due to unfavorable exchange rates."

While some episode obiously look cheaper to produce (as TPTB keep portions of the budget for important episodes) you have to remember that the cast and crew are paid from the budget also so $2 million is pretty close.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Oct 14th 2006, 5:13 PM
Post #10

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

It will be a bigger budget then the average episode, and as it's a movie it will be a bigger budget then they would normally get, but it's not going to be film budget, just higher then normal probably. Don't know though as they, uhh....haven't said biggrin.gif But I'm sure we'll find out at some point.

Also I agree, you know you're going to get two stories left, and you use the second one on a random one...huh. They must love the idea of ending it on a time travel one biggrin.gif As long as it's in the future though I don't care (which is just pure speculation for the fact that it would be cool biggrin.gif) So yeah. Not good news, but not suicide bad.... A tv series would be better, but a film or two is at least...not one. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
mithwriter
post Oct 14th 2006, 5:42 PM
Post #11

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 885

I think that's great news. 2 stories that can be as good as they can make them, with no pressure from the day-to-day workings of a tv series to force any sort of production/story compromises. If they can get RDA back full-time into the role (he should be bored by now, right? wink.gif )..and maybe Don Davis back as well? biggrin.gif I think it'll be great...although I have some trepidation about the phrase "time travel" unsure.gif . It hasn't exactly had the best track record lately..
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Oct 14th 2006, 5:55 PM
Post #12

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(mithwriter @ Oct 14th 2006, 11:42 PM) *

I think that's great news. 2 stories that can be as good as they can make them, with no pressure from the day-to-day workings of a tv series to force any sort of production/story compromises. If they can get RDA back full-time into the role (he should be bored by now, right? wink.gif )..and maybe Don Davis back as well? biggrin.gif I think it'll be great...although I have some trepidation about the phrase "time travel" unsure.gif . It hasn't exactly had the best track record lately..

Yeah, and let's bring back jonas, and janet fraiser. I don't think it's a good idea on the final episode just to fall in on itself now. The show's different, deal with it, politely biggrin.gif RDA will probably come back for one or two though, but I don't want them to focus too much on the old guys. The new ones are here and they're doing a good job, I think we should stick with it smile.gif But agreed about putting RDA in it for a while, just not so he's central focus again and drawing attention away from the new crew...

And they've only done one time travel episode in the last 5 years so what do you mean 'bad track record lately'? smile.gif

And besides I liked it... whistling.gif

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Oct 14th 2006, 5:56 PM
+Quote Post
Sighfienerd
post Oct 14th 2006, 9:36 PM
Post #13

Beyond here there be dragons
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 7,150

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Oct 14th 2006, 6:55 PM) *

Yeah, and let's bring back jonas, and janet fraiser. I don't think it's a good idea on the final episode just to fall in on itself now. The show's different, deal with it, politely biggrin.gif RDA will probably come back for one or two though, but I don't want them to focus too much on the old guys. The new ones are here and they're doing a good job, I think we should stick with it smile.gif But agreed about putting RDA in it for a while, just not so he's central focus again and drawing attention away from the new crew...

And they've only done one time travel episode in the last 5 years so what do you mean 'bad track record lately'? smile.gif

And besides I liked it... whistling.gif

I agree about a time-travel themed movie. There's lots of wiggle room there for the writers to do whatever they please - bringing back dead characters, dealing with certain storylines that weren't resolved, and generally tying up loose ends while still leaving space to continue the stories afterward for spin-offs, more movies, etc.
+Quote Post
xayeidemon
post Oct 14th 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #14

Always a cousin, never a boochi!
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,544

QUOTE(mithwriter @ Oct 14th 2006, 6:42 PM) *
I think it'll be great...although I have some trepidation about the phrase "time travel" unsure.gif . It hasn't exactly had the best track record lately..

I feel the exact same way. Right now, I'm cautiously optimistic, but the time travel thing has me a bit worried. I guess as long as Patrick Duffy doesn't hop out of a shower (or there isn't a *coughcoughcoughweddingonthegaterampcoughcough*), things will be okay. unsure.gif
+Quote Post
TOCATL
post Oct 15th 2006, 3:16 AM
Post #15

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,627

I think is cool two movies, i hope that every movie be of 3 hours each, to enjoy SG as much as possible, and i think the first movie will have a lot of action, but the ORI will win and maybe defeat the assended ancients, but to fix that in the second movie logically SG1 may travel to the pasto to prevent the ORI become a powerfull race, how?, with the ancient time machine they found in "Season 8 - SG1 - It's Good to be King " , and of course see a lot of ancient battles, i think it will have really good special effects, maybe they are going to use the budget of an entire season to make the two movies.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Oct 15th 2006, 4:16 AM
Post #16

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(TOCATL @ Oct 15th 2006, 9:16 AM) *
maybe they are going to use the budget of an entire season to make the two movies.
MGM isn't going to give at least $40 million for the production of two straight to DVD movies. They are going to expect a profit on the movies and they can't expect that much when the movies aren't released in cimemas.
+Quote Post
ancient01
post Oct 16th 2006, 7:36 AM
Post #17

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,239

The first movie is supposed to tie up the Ori Storyline. I'm totally behind that idea. I generally agree with the concensus on the time travel movie. I do, however, think that it can be well done. A well written script can take the worst of ideas and make them work. I'll keep my fingers crossed on that one. I wonder, though, if the idea behind the second movie is to somehow setup a new direction for the franchise? SG1 has too much potential as a money maker to be thrown out all together. New spin off? I guess we'll see...
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Oct 16th 2006, 8:33 AM
Post #18

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(ancient01 @ Oct 16th 2006, 1:36 PM) *
I wonder, though, if the idea behind the second movie is to somehow setup a new direction for the franchise? SG1 has too much potential as a money maker to be thrown out all together. New spin off? I guess we'll see...
There have been rumours of a spin off since the beginning of the year. MGM has said that they are interested in making a movie that would lead into a third spin off but there has been nothing said for a few months. Given that the forst movie is being used to tie up the loose ends on SG-1 and deal with the Ori story arc, it seems likely that the second movie is being made to lead into something else.
+Quote Post
Janos
post Oct 16th 2006, 9:04 AM
Post #19

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,403

I wonder if, on the spinoff, we'll see a time traveling SG team. It'd be a chance to see more of the ancients, the Goa'uld, the alliance, dead characters, etc...... huh.gif
+Quote Post
xayeidemon
post Oct 16th 2006, 10:02 AM
Post #20

Always a cousin, never a boochi!
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,544

"When this gate hits 88 miles per hour, run. It'll probably have Goa'uld coming out of it."
+Quote Post
ancient01
post Oct 16th 2006, 10:22 AM
Post #21

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,239

QUOTE(Janos @ Oct 16th 2006, 10:04 AM) *

I wonder if, on the spinoff, we'll see a time traveling SG team. It'd be a chance to see more of the ancients, the Goa'uld, the alliance, dead characters, etc...... huh.gif

I sure hope not. That temporal mechanics thing gives me a headache. Besides, we already have Dr. Who to satisfy anyone's need for time travel storylines...
+Quote Post
Major Gordon Sumner
post Oct 16th 2006, 10:25 AM
Post #22

Airman Basic

Member No.: 11,699

That's a good news. I like the idea. But it's sad they don't put all they ideas about the Ori in the two films. It would be better. Like a big big story. Becau tim travel made me think about "Moebius", the last episode of seaosn 8. It was pretty bad. I don't like when they do it.

But anyway, more Stargate is always welcome !

I think that the films will look like the special episode "Thread" or something like that. Which is okay. But they will keep the same set, the same shooting location. It won't be like a "movie". But of course if they can achieve to do as good as "The Lost City", then OMG, I would be happy. This was the best acted, writed episode for a movie like. It was so huge !

Let(s wait !
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Oct 16th 2006, 11:32 AM
Post #23

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Janos @ Oct 16th 2006, 3:04 PM) *
Continuity would be a bitch of they made a show that was based on time travel. I think that given Sam's apprehension about travelling back in time in 'Moebius' (and the huge cock up that happened in that episode), it wouldn't seem likely Earth would want to interfere with time travel for the moment.
+Quote Post
Elan_Morin
post Oct 16th 2006, 11:33 AM
Post #24

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,301

As others have said, the first film looks like it could potentially be good. The fact that they are using it to tie up the Ori storyline means they're not going to finish it up in a crappy way with the series finale. I have to admit, that was a worry. Still, I think the Ori storyline is going to lose potential without at least another season.

I also tend to agree with others on being weary of a time travel story for a second movie, especially if it elimates/changes the timeline events in the series for the last ten years.

Elan
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 2nd 2014 - 9:07 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.