Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> News Info

You can always read the latest 20 news stories at: www.sg1archive.com/news

Tip: Receive the latest Stargate news via email by subscribing to this forum.

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Stargate SG-1 Direct-to-DVD Movies Coming Next Year?, News from TVguide.com
Invisible Painting
post Oct 22nd 2006, 7:00 PM
Post #73

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,819

Sorry, didn't meant to turn this into a teyla discussion, but a lot of atlantis discussions end up taking this path... whistling.gif

Anyway, as long as atlantis continues on it should be ok, but imo they should seriously look at the teyla situation, no matter what they do with it, because imo, that's the only real thing I can think of that's still fault with the show. Apart from that it's great imo. But the not-knowing-what-to-do-with-teyla thing is the only problem the show has right now. But am dam well lookg forward to the next episode personally (Wed's for Uk people!!)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Oct 23rd 2006, 3:46 PM
Post #74

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 745

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Oct 23rd 2006, 2:00 AM) *

Sorry, didn't meant to turn this into a teyla discussion, but a lot of atlantis discussions end up taking this path... whistling.gif

Anyway, as long as atlantis continues on it should be ok, but imo they should seriously look at the teyla situation, no matter what they do with it, because imo, that's the only real thing I can think of that's still fault with the show. Apart from that it's great imo. But the not-knowing-what-to-do-with-teyla thing is the only problem the show has right now. But am dam well lookg forward to the next episode personally (Wed's for Uk people!!)

oy, I'd say it's far from being the only problem with SGA, but they have made tremendous - almost unbelivable - progress during the last 10 episodes. ;)
+Quote Post
Xen
post Oct 23rd 2006, 8:46 PM
Post #75

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,743

I found a real difference betweek the quality of Eps between 9 and 10. Season 10 got a whole lot better. The start and end of 9 were good, but the a couple of the middle eps of 9 got a little dull.
+Quote Post
KILO
post Nov 1st 2006, 11:03 AM
Post #76

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,765

I think that the 2 movies is much better than nothing and the 2nd being of time travel is fine especially given who the writers will be and it most likely will lead into a spin off means that they will hopefully put extra care into what they write so that the spin off begins on a good note rather than a bad one, imo.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Nov 1st 2006, 7:14 PM
Post #77

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(KILO @ Nov 1st 2006, 4:03 PM) *

I think that the 2 movies is much better than nothing and the 2nd being of time travel is fine especially given who the writers will be and it most likely will lead into a spin off means that they will hopefully put extra care into what they write so that the spin off begins on a good note rather than a bad one, imo.

Actually in my opinion they're more likely to set up a general premice of a storyline then do it as an introduction. More like set up the fact that there is a world to go in to. I don't think it will relate directlty, the situation might but I don't think it will be that direct. I reckon they'll be pretty seperate. But we don't know at this point, or even that they will use it to set up another spin off, lets hope though aye biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
eXcalibur
post Nov 2nd 2006, 5:59 AM
Post #78

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,676

QUOTE(ancient01 @ Oct 16th 2006, 8:22 AM) *

I sure hope not. That temporal mechanics thing gives me a headache. Besides, we already have Dr. Who to satisfy anyone's need for time travel storylines...

To each his own, but frankly, I think temporal mechanics is incredibly fascinating (literally and figuratively). Aside from the fact that it gives writers a lot of freedom, it also requires a good amount of thinking on the part of viewers - something that I think is all-too-often in short supply among (at least U.S.) folk.

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Oct 17th 2006, 3:08 PM) *

Well lets face it, most shows nowadays screw up their last episode. Unless it was entirely planned by the show makers before hand. Any other circumstances and all show producers just put a crappy, rushed, boring and just pointless episode. I mean look at shows like angel, QL, X-files, alias (which wasn't so bad, was just rushed) and so forth. They always try squeezing in a bunch of crap they wouldn't normally, use it as an excuse to write out the main characters in situations that they would normally easily be able to get out of. End it really crappily at the end (Usually a 'here we go again...' type ending). Last episodes unless seriously planned just always feel rushed. And it's annoying. And hope that sg1 doesn't take this path too much either... I mean sometimes if a show is going to be cancelled ahead of it's time what's wrong with just having a normal, yet really good episode at the end?? Where they don't try and sum up every single storyline in that one episode. There isn't always something wrong with leaving a few threads untied...especially if it means they can make a good last episode as a result of it.

I was on the other side of the "should everything be tied up" fence until I read this, and thought about ST:TNG. "All Good Things..." hardly tried to tie up every thread at all (in fact the premise was that it was "creating more threads"), but in my opinion (minus the fact of several GLARING writing inconsistencies) it was a great ending to a great show.

And while I did enjoy Quantum Leap, if I were stuck in a room... ST:TNG. No question.
+Quote Post
Janos
post Nov 2nd 2006, 10:38 AM
Post #79

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,403

QUOTE(eXcalibur @ Nov 2nd 2006, 3:59 AM) *
it also requires a good amount of thinking on the part of viewers - something that I think is all-too-often in short supply among (at least U.S.) folk.

I'd like to answer the question Alex, "What is something that Primetime TV Shows will never do because the majority of people who watch TV in this country are retards and don't like to think when they watch TV?"
+Quote Post
DetriusXii
post Nov 14th 2006, 11:50 PM
Post #80

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,858

QUOTE(Pitry @ Oct 21st 2006, 9:18 AM) *

There doesn't seem to be much to develop because none of the writers take interest in the character, IMHO. Every character can found its story and be developed. Hell, they managed to develop Sheppard! But because no episodes are written about the character, and she's never put in any interesting situations, she's lost. The analogy with Teal'c is god, because while he is the most neglected character on SG1, he's had more attention and more development - and was a much more 3D character - by the end of season 1 than Teyla has in 2.5 years.

Yup, you'll meet Ronan in season 2. ;)

Carter is my second choice after Daniel for an SG1 character transfer - but I'm reluctant. There isn't nay charcter on Atlantis that fills the spot Daniel does on SG1 - both the moral conscience bit and the mythology/ cultural bit (while it seems these two traits should have gone to Weir and Teyla respectively, both have been lost pretty early on). Carter and McKay have a great dynamic and great chemistry, but a) the sceintist already exists (two of them, Zelenca as well) and b) it'll turn itno the MCKay Carter show, as much as the beginning of season 9 was the Daniel and Vala show. Don't get me wrong - I loved the beginning of season 9 and so far I loved it every time McKay and Sam interacted and would probably continue to - but the show shouldn't focus on any one particular cahracter, all the time. The rest would get lost. It caused numerous problems for SG1, and their characters are well set in place. For Atlantis such a move would be disasterous. No, I'd rather both Sam and Daniel would make cameos in Atlantis, but not on a regular basis.

I disagree. Ever since the loss of Jacob and Thor's disappearance in SG1, she's had no arc. However, if she were to replace Dr. Weir as the civilian commander of Atlantis, we'd have a strong female leader with a strong backstory. Granted, she's a physicist and would create some problems with the McKay & Zelenka dynamic, but she'd be of more use than Weir is in Atlantis right now. And the civilian commander as action hero makes much more sense with Carter than it does with Weir. In hindsight, I think Weir should have remained as the civilian commander of SGC because SG-1 is the show that develops the governments a lot more than SGA does. She would have been a good negotiator with the FJN and Lucian alliance while her skills are rotting away in SGA.
+Quote Post
ha'tak
post Nov 18th 2006, 3:46 PM
Post #81

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,229

DetriusXii, Forgive me in being blunt in saying this but like Pitry mentioned above Weir does play a vital role in Atlantis. Much like Daniel in SG1, she provides the morality issues to the show. You can specifically notice this in the details with the Wraith Drug/Gas in the back half of season 2 and the start of season 3 with episodes like Misbegotten. And although how you mentioned that he skills are going to waste in Atlantis. I wouldn't consider that the case. Look at the episodes with the Genii and most specifically The Siege Part III

Cameos are well enough but Atlantis has built up its own cast and integrating (pardon me for saying this) old blood, would probably lead to the shows cancellation.

What I'm saying is that Sci-Fi cancelled one of its larger, if not largest, fan based show for a slight drop in ratings. Id rather have only half my Stargate then none at all.
+Quote Post
More SG-1
post Nov 19th 2006, 7:18 PM
Post #82

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,814

i hope that they finish it with 2 great movies honestly i been watch stargate sg-1 since i was in year 7 which was like 6 years ago so i have to watch the first couple seasons again to see what happen their. If anyone has any concrete information on the approval of the production of the films it would be great if you could send me some links or info on it

this side kicks ass theirs no aussie sites like this i hate my country
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Nov 19th 2006, 7:49 PM
Post #83

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

QUOTE(More SG-1 @ Nov 20th 2006, 12:18 AM) *
If anyone has any concrete information on the approval of the production of the films it would be great if you could send me some links or info on it
Read the entire thread please. Arcady has posted a number of links in the first two posts.
+Quote Post
J&S4Ever
post Nov 20th 2006, 3:46 PM
Post #84

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,176

Well, I can't say this surprises me. Although they are ending the series, TPTB know that interest in Stargate remains high. Movies, mini-series...I'll take Stargate in whatever form it takes as long as they don't do something totally stupid that ruins the storyline, and although I'm a die-hard shipper, I hope they keep the relationship off the show. That is, until the right time, like they did in the Star Trek series with Riker and Troi.
+Quote Post
USSMC
post Dec 5th 2006, 12:08 AM
Post #85

Airman Basic

Member No.: 3,225

Will they (MGM) be getting any benefits out of this?
If so, then they should continue the serious with DVDs. I?m sure the thousands of fans around the world will want to get their hands on them, meaning more $$$$$$$ for both parties. FUKK Sci-fi, FUKK them.
Sorry if I miss anything.
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Dec 21st 2006, 6:37 AM
Post #86

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,411

In a new interview with Michael on the IGN website, Michael - commenting on the proposed Stargate SG-1 movies - has confirmed that he has "just finished negotiations - I think most of the cast has finished for appearances in movies." He adds:

"We know the first shoot date of the first movie is April 15th and the second is around June 1st. As much as I know about the story, the first one Rob is writing and directing has to do with wrapping up the Ori storyline, which is the storyline that has taken prominence for the last two years of the show."

From Michael Shanks OnLine, December 21, 2006. There is a link on the website with a transcript of the entire interview, if you're interested.
+Quote Post
poundpuppy29
post Jan 4th 2007, 2:08 PM
Post #87

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,703

I am looking forward to the movies and if they are big success Sci-Fi will be pissed I am sure. I just hope they don't take it out on Atlantis. I think the movies are a great thing for MS this gives him freedom to do other things like I know he wants to do. I just hope CB does all the movies too I want Daniel and Vala together but I am a shipper. I wonder what kind of stories they will do after the Ori storyline is wrapped up. I know they are doing a time travel one for the second one but I wonder how they will keep the movies fresh.

+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Jan 5th 2007, 3:12 AM
Post #88

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,622

QUOTE(mithwriter @ Oct 14th 2006, 5:42 PM) *

I think that's great news. 2 stories that can be as good as they can make them, with no pressure from the day-to-day workings of a tv series to force any sort of production/story compromises. If they can get RDA back full-time into the role (he should be bored by now, right? wink.gif )..and maybe Don Davis back as well? biggrin.gif I think it'll be great...although I have some trepidation about the phrase "time travel" unsure.gif . It hasn't exactly had the best track record lately..

I agree, I think that RDA would be a great addition to the movie. I think he proved that he is willing to do something to tie up the show. The ratings went up for episode 200, mainly because of his appearance, IMO. But because of the subject matter for the first movie, the main team needs to be heavily involved.

QUOTE(hobo_joe20 @ Oct 16th 2006, 3:56 PM) *

I think I be too young to get this reference sad.gif. I assume it has something to do with a rehashed show idea though ...

Oh man, like others, I feel old! Although the show, Quantom Leap is in syndication.
+Quote Post
xayeidemon
post Jan 15th 2007, 12:56 PM
Post #89

Always a cousin, never a boochi!
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,544

Stargate Solutions has a new press release from MGM that describes the two Stargate movies. It's spoilery, so click at your own risk.

RDA fans might be disappointed. sad.gif
+Quote Post
Arcady
post Jan 15th 2007, 1:21 PM
Post #90

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Here's the press release from MGM: (in Spoiler tags for those of you who may want to skip it.)

» Click to Show Spoiler «
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jan 15th 2007, 2:02 PM
Post #91

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,340

Sounds like the movies are going to be excellent.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Jan 15th 2007, 2:38 PM
Post #92

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,056

Hell yeah.

Now I'm excited. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
J&S4Ever
post Jan 15th 2007, 2:50 PM
Post #93

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,176

Which confirms my original thoughts. There was no way the network was going to let go completely of the frachise while it still generates revenue. It just needed to update programming, which of course sucks for the rest of us old folks that like their Stargate just fine, but at least we know that there will be more to come. It just feels really weird to know that for the first time in ten years, come fall, there will be no new season of Stargate to look forward to. sad.gif

Robert Cooper will be directing the first movie. So what do you all think? Are his directorial skills good enough for him to direct a feature film? Has he directed a feature film? (I think I'll look that up.) What are everyone's expectations. I really don't pay much attention to the credits part of the episodes, which is sad, I know, I should, but damn I'm just so busy. I need to go back and watch all the episodes and compare. So what's y'alls take on this directorial endeavour.

This post has been edited by J&S4Ever: Jan 15th 2007, 3:00 PM
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Jan 15th 2007, 2:57 PM
Post #94

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 745

movie 1 -

movie 2 -
+Quote Post
Arcady
post Jan 15th 2007, 7:09 PM
Post #95

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Let's continue in the new thread.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 18th 2014 - 2:27 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.