Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> News Info

You can always read the latest 20 news stories at: www.sg1archive.com/news

Tip: Receive the latest Stargate news via email by subscribing to this forum.

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pierre Bernard on Stargate SG-1 Cancellation, Late Night with Conan O'Brien
KillerMarv
post Sep 18th 2006, 6:36 AM
Post #25

Major General
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,622

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Sep 18th 2006, 2:16 PM) *

It's already been cancelled. The news was revealed almost two months ago.

Actually, that was a month ago. The news was revealed after the 200th episode, that was aired on the 18th of August.

OK, sorry for this pointless comment to this discussion.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Protoziggy90
post Sep 19th 2006, 11:36 AM
Post #26

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,304

Just watched it, quite funny. What I think is interesting is that the general public is hearing about this and not just us (stargate fans)...
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Sep 19th 2006, 12:32 PM
Post #27

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

The thing is though, unless the general public are all fans of SG-1, it won't do anything to help the show. It seemed to me that the segment was mocking SG-1 more than supporting it.
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Sep 20th 2006, 4:35 PM
Post #28

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 745

Well, I was entertained by it. ;)
+Quote Post
uber
post Sep 27th 2006, 1:12 AM
Post #29

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,971

We Fans need to unite, organize on this one by boycotting Sci-Fi channel if they do not allow stargate to move to another channel. Think about it how mean it is to us fans that after all our loyalty, all the money they milked of us, they now want to punish us by killing stargate, and just sitting on it and not letting it live on another channel.

"Now that is selfish, it's like if I don't want the rest of the pizza pie, my freind who is asking for it can't eat it because I will only allow my extra pizza to go into the trash can, my freind can jump in a lake!"
+Quote Post
King Furling
post Sep 30th 2006, 8:17 PM
Post #30

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,711

I agree, if they don't want to renew the show, and think that it has run out of viable avenues for story lines, why sit on the series. Let somneone else pick it up unless you're afraid there's still life in the series that another network would use to compete with you. If Showtime had done that, where would Sci-fi be now? And if that is what Sci-fi is afraid of, why cancel the show? The way they are playing this doesn't seem very fair to the fans, you know, the ones that brought the network up.
+Quote Post
hobo_joe20
post Oct 2nd 2006, 7:16 AM
Post #31

Brigadier General
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,055

QUOTE(King Furling @ Sep 30th 2006, 9:17 PM) *

I agree, if they don't want to renew the show, and think that it has run out of viable avenues for story lines, why sit on the series. Let somneone else pick it up unless you're afraid there's still life in the series that another network would use to compete with you. If Showtime had done that, where would Sci-fi be now? And if that is what Sci-fi is afraid of, why cancel the show? The way they are playing this doesn't seem very fair to the fans, you know, the ones that brought the network up.

You do know that no other network inside of the United States can air new episodes of SG-1, right? and since that 400 million+ people market is no longer viable for the show producers, their profit margin is shot.
+Quote Post
xayeidemon
post Oct 2nd 2006, 10:56 AM
Post #32

Always a cousin, never a boochi!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,544

Also, SciFi knows that SG-1 can still draw in money, even if they can no longer afford the weekly series. It makes sense from a business standpoint to keep all the rights to the show and air miniseries. That way, they're not spending as much money on a weekly series, and they're pretty much guaranteed to make a profit when they air the specials.

Besides, at this point, it's not the quantity of episodes that concerns me. It's the quality, and if a few minseries is what it takes to get some decent stories going, then so be it. I'd rather one or two awesome miniseries than more seasons with craptacular episodes.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Oct 2nd 2006, 1:06 PM
Post #33

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(xayeidemon @ Oct 2nd 2006, 4:56 PM) *

Also, SciFi knows that SG-1 can still draw in money, even if they can no longer afford the weekly series. It makes sense from a business standpoint to keep all the rights to the show and air miniseries. That way, they're not spending as much money on a weekly series, and they're pretty much guaranteed to make a profit when they air the specials.

Besides, at this point, it's not the quantity of episodes that concerns me. It's the quality, and if a few minseries is what it takes to get some decent stories going, then so be it. I'd rather one or two awesome miniseries than more seasons with craptacular episodes.

I'd rather watch a whole season of episodes, even if some are not as good, if it means that we get a whole new series of a show, all a mini series would be is those stories over the season rushed and not spread out or timed well. From seeing series 9 I would rather a whole new series to tell the stories then a couple of films where it is all rushed and ended. Easily an 11th I'd go for. So what there are some abd episodes, bad ones are better then no ones and you get good ones to go with it, so I don't see the problem.
+Quote Post
Janos
post Oct 2nd 2006, 1:20 PM
Post #34

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,403

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Oct 2nd 2006, 12:06 PM) *

all a mini series would be is those stories over the season rushed and not spread out or timed well.

Well, the Peacekeeper Wars was pretty good, I thought. If they know they're going to be making a miniseries after season 10, they can accomodate that. They still had 3 episodes to film before season 10 was going to be over when they got the news. So, they could have those three episodes build up to the miniseries, which finishes off the story with a big bang.

So what there are some abd episodes, bad ones are better then no ones and you get good ones to go with it, so I don't see the problem.

I don't know.. I think I could have lived the rest of my life without seeing Grace and I would have been happy blink.gif
+Quote Post
King Furling
post Oct 2nd 2006, 2:29 PM
Post #35

Civilian
Group Icon

QUOTE(xayeidemon @ Oct 2nd 2006, 8:56 AM) *

If it's about making business sense, perhaps another network could invest in buying the rights from Sci-fi to air new episodes. Just because they got the rights to all new network episodes doesn't mean that they can't be bought by someone else. Media rights are bought and sold every day. I'm also not sure how Sci-fi could expect to make a profit airing specials. As I understand it, the problem they're having is too much DVRing and not enough live viewership,(affecting ratings). Now I don't have a window into everyone elses life, but I'm working when the show is aired, so I have to record it. Turning it into miniseries' isn't going to change that. In fact, with longer events like specials and such, I'll DVR it just so I can FF through repetetive commercials. Don't get me wrong, I'll stop and RW and watch a commercial if I haven't seen it before,(some are cool or funny). But when the same Sci-fi show promos or repetetive commercials loop at every break, I'm hitting the FF button. And thats only going to happen more on specials.

As for miniseries' forcing better content, I don't think the quality has gotten bad. If anything I think it's gotten better over the years. But I think you have stumbled onto the inevitable truth of the situation, though. If the show does turn into a miniseries, we'll only get one or two more stories out of it. It will turn into a Farscape situation where the miniseries is used to wrap up the story instead a way to continue it. Personally, I'd rather see a few "craptastic" episodes in continued seasons of great stories than watch a couple of great specials that end it all. I know some people seem to be itching for the show to end, but I'm not quite ready to let go yet. I'm still as exited about the show as I've ever been, and don't think it's run out of stories to tell. Besides, we can't let them off the hook until they give us a serious story story with thge Furlings. And none of this 200th episode joking stuff. Real Wookie or Teddy Ruxpin lookin' Furlings; I don't care. That's just how I feel about it.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Oct 2nd 2006, 2:51 PM
Post #36

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(Janos @ Oct 2nd 2006, 7:20 PM) *

Well, the Peacekeeper Wars was pretty good, I thought. If they know they're going to be making a miniseries after season 10, they can accomodate that. They still had 3 episodes to film before season 10 was going to be over when they got the news. So, they could have those three episodes build up to the miniseries, which finishes off the story with a big bang.
I don't know.. I think I could have lived the rest of my life without seeing Grace and I would have been happy blink.gif

If grace was the price you had to pay for season 7, 8, 9 and 10, then so be it biggrin.gif

And besides I liked it smile.gif
(also what would you have rathered a season 5 of farscape or the peacekeeper wars?? I'd pick the season 5...you know, if I watched it biggrin.gif)

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Oct 2nd 2006, 2:53 PM
+Quote Post
KILO
post Oct 9th 2006, 9:04 PM
Post #37

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,765

Everything that is being said is great, and I think that each idea has merit, but I believe that when you get down to it we all agree that any SG-1 is better than none and so if it is to be miniseries or an 11th season (if at all possible) than great! I will be happy just to be able to watch it.

Aside... what bugs me the most about SG-1 is the change in packaging and not allowing us to purchase Season 9 in the original as I am collecting the Series and would like to have the packaging look the same... petty I know, but it's what I care about! lol ;)
+Quote Post
King Furling
post Oct 10th 2006, 4:46 PM
Post #38

Civilian
Group Icon

Same here. You'd think that they'd take peoples collections into consideration when they do things like that. Who's going to buy season 9 that doesn't already have the first 8? It's going to ruin the look of my DVD cabinet. mad.gif
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 19th 2014 - 11:28 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.