Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> News Info

You can always read the latest 20 news stories at: www.sg1archive.com/news

Tip: Receive the latest Stargate news via email by subscribing to this forum.

28 Pages V « < 25 26 27 28 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stargate SG-1 Cancelled by Sci Fi Channel?, Atlantis Reportedly Renewed
Dafmeister
post Oct 27th 2006, 1:25 PM
Post #625

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

QUOTE(Pitry @ Oct 27th 2006, 4:34 PM) *
I doubt they'd cancel BSG as Atlantis has similar ratings and was renewed. Therefore, I'm glad of this - not hoping BSG would be cancelled, but rather because it raises the chances of Atlantis not being cancelled due to ratings ;)
Galactica is due to get a spin off so it is doubtful it would get cancelled.
The only difference between Galactica and Atlantis is the cast. Galactica has a pretty well known cast. Edward James Olmos is a huge name, Mary McDonnell has been Oscar nominated in the past and Michael Hogan is a big Canadian name. I'd say that Galatica has higher production costs than Atlantis.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Oct 27th 2006, 4:25 PM
Post #626

Colonel
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 745

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Oct 27th 2006, 8:25 PM) *

Galactica is due to get a spin off so it is doubtful it would get cancelled.
The only difference between Galactica and Atlantis is the cast. Galactica has a pretty well known cast. Edward James Olmos is a huge name, Mary McDonnell has been Oscar nominated in the past and Michael Hogan is a big Canadian name. I'd say that Galatica has higher production costs than Atlantis.

Really? I must say that I've never heard of these people. ;)
Yes, it must have higher production costs because of the cast, then - it also looks more expansive. I don't think they quite learned yet how to play with budget the way Stargate TPTB have - not ignoring the fact that a lot of the sets had used both shows' budgets. Also, NBC has to carry out all of BSG;s costs, unlike Atlantis where they are shared with MGM. Therefore I've said what I ddi - as long as BSG's ratings remain similar to Atlantis, there is more of a chance for Atlantis to survive, even with less than stellar ratings.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Oct 27th 2006, 5:52 PM
Post #627

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Oct 22nd 2006, 9:32 AM) *

Why? The worst thing they could possibly do is cast another actor to play Daniel. Event though I dislike the character and actor, they couldn't replace Michael as Daniel.

You dislike daniel?? Why, what's wrong with him smile.gif Also what's wrong with Shanks??

QUOTE(Jackson 4 atlantis @ Oct 22nd 2006, 10:46 AM) *

Im sure that you do know that MS is not the orgional actor who played Daneil in the orgional film.

If MS is unable to play bit parts, then i feel it will be better to get some one else.

Yeah, how about harrison ford. wink.gif

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Oct 22nd 2006, 1:41 PM) *

Yes, of course I know that. Michael Shanks is also the actor who has played Daniel for the last 10 years so there is no way they could possibly replace him with another actor.

Yeah, would be quite funny if they did though. After 10 years on the show and then they walk in a new actor and act as if there's never been someone else... whistling.gif

QUOTE(Pitry @ Oct 27th 2006, 10:25 PM) *

Really? I must say that I've never heard of these people. ;)
Yes, it must have higher production costs because of the cast, then - it also looks more expansive. I don't think they quite learned yet how to play with budget the way Stargate TPTB have - not ignoring the fact that a lot of the sets had used both shows' budgets. Also, NBC has to carry out all of BSG;s costs, unlike Atlantis where they are shared with MGM. Therefore I've said what I ddi - as long as BSG's ratings remain similar to Atlantis, there is more of a chance for Atlantis to survive, even with less than stellar ratings.

Yeah, good point. The fact is I heard this news a few days ago, and was happy as a penguin in a microwave (heard them say it on Tv earlier wink.gif ). but anyway I was quite happy, as it put my mind to rest that they woudln't quite do it with atlantis. Also to get sci fi to realise they are wrong! (Check the linked campain hobo posted). But good point, made me kinda happy to think of it that way pitry.
One more thing though, that I'd thought of, the fact is sci fi have come out and said that they want more sg verse in the future. That they'd be interested in another spin off or sg1 Tv movies. If they cancel atlantis they'll pretty much be shooting themselves in the foot on that regard. If they do that then they're basically pretty much cutting themselves off from any link with it in the future. So I think that as long as they're interested in keeping the franchise on the Tv, they're going to have to keep atlantis around while it's the only show. So with that hopefully they'll keep it around for a while longer, the first two episodes have been of really good quality this season. If it continues like this like I've been assured it will then it would be a real crime if i did get cancelled this early on. But while battlestars ratings aren't that great, it should keep that target in mind. I'd rather atlantis get renewed then battlestar tbh. Don't really care about it as much nowerdays.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Oct 28th 2006, 8:11 PM
Post #628

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

This is up on the new official stargate site that MGM own. And was drawn to my attention via http://savestargatesg1.com/news, it's worth checking out and is interesting none the less... Here.
Could explain some of the promotion for the syndication viewings and some other odd anomalies the sites got on it... I.e. a season 11 listed with a questionmark on the main page. Let's hope to f*ck that they are actually considering something other then the two movies which MGM hasn't actually said anything about.

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Oct 28th 2006, 8:16 PM
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Oct 28th 2006, 8:22 PM
Post #629

General
Group Icon

That site hasn't been updated for a long time. There aren't even any episodes listed for season 10. I wouldn't take stock in anything that appears there. We already know the show has been cancelled and that MGM has given TPTB enough money for two movies. That's all, there will be no season 11.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Oct 28th 2006, 8:28 PM
Post #630

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Oct 29th 2006, 1:22 AM) *

That site hasn't been updated for a long time. There aren't even any episodes listed for season 10. I wouldn't take stock in anything that appears there. We already know the show has been cancelled and that MGM has given TPTB enough money for two movies. That's all, there will be no season 11.

That news item was just put up though, and I know certain aspects haven't been updated for a while. But that has apparently just been put up. And from the fact that there are about 8 comments on the item at the moment would also back that up. I know it may be wishfull thinking right now, but at the moment I'm ok with that. I'd rather a series 11 then 2 films. By about 600%. Anything that indicates that there's still a chance of a season 11, no matter how slim, I'm ok with at the moment. And will hope for it. A series 10 and a movie to tie up the Ori we all know isn't enough. I will follow any leads that still come up. Whether you do or not, doesn't matter.

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Oct 28th 2006, 8:31 PM
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Oct 28th 2006, 8:40 PM
Post #631

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Oct 29th 2006, 1:28 AM) *
That news item was just put up though, and I know certain aspects haven't been updated for a while. But that has apparently just been put up.
News from who though? There is no name, no source and no official confirmation. All it is is a statement with nothing to back it up. If it is true then why haven't any other credible sites reported it given that it has been posted for nearly a week?
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Oct 29th 2006, 4:44 AM
Post #632

General
Group Icon

So, like I said, where is the quote to back that statement up? If one of TPTB said that, why isn't there a link to where it was said and, like I also said, why aren't other Stargate sites also reporting it?
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Oct 29th 2006, 7:28 AM
Post #633

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Oct 29th 2006, 9:44 AM) *

So, like I said, where is the quote to back that statement up? If one of TPTB said that, why isn't there a link to where it was said and, like I also said, why aren't other Stargate sites also reporting it?

Yeah but...if that is the source?? Why does there always have to be another source, the fact that it is on the official site is source enough. True it does say who added that, doesn't say who the moderators are or anything else. But the fact that it IS up on the official site is still cause of interest. Which is why I linked it.

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Oct 29th 2006, 7:28 AM
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Oct 29th 2006, 1:21 PM
Post #634

Colonel
Group Icon

QUOTE(villarestall @ Oct 29th 2006, 4:17 PM) *

Look Daf, I know you like to be the "cold shower of reason" on all these kinds of things, but as I said, this is a site provided by MGM, so surely it would follow that MGM have some level of control over what goes into an official site that they provide? Also, wouldn't you say that MGM would count as part of the group that make up TPTB? Who would count as a reputable "TPTB" source from your point of view?
As for the reason it hasnt been reported by other Stargate sites yet... well from what I have seen over the last few months, there has been a distressing tendency on the part of most sites to use Gateworld as a source for news related to the show - so if they haven't reported it, then it hasn't happened. This despite the known reputation of Gateworld...

To be sure, the statement on that site doesn't really say anything concrete or conclusive - it's suitably vague in that regard (as all statements of this type would be) - but I really don't think it's much of a stretch to say that MGM would want to keep an eye on the shows' ratings in syndication, given the reaction of the fans to the shows cancellation - and quite frankly, the fact that we haven't seen a statement from someone in Vancouver (or someone at SciFi) about it means nothing at this point. For all we know, MGM are gaging response in order to justify moving ahead on that alleged second spin off show...

Most news these days first appear on rotation either on Gateworld, Solutions or the German site, erm.... Stargate PRoject? Methinks.

As for how can it be MGM if it's so vague - well, last time they tried to be a little less vague, it took Sci Fi a couple of hours or so to throw in the "you can't broadcast any new sG1 episodes inside the US" bit. Since we don't know what MGM are trying to pull off (if they're trying to pull off anything) it migth be considered better for them to keep it vague as to not have trouble with SciFi - the fact is they still need them for Atlantis.

Hmmm, I wonder if they have the same clase in the contract with SciFi over Atlantis.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Oct 29th 2006, 1:40 PM
Post #635

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pitry @ Oct 29th 2006, 6:21 PM) *

Most news these days first appear on rotation either on Gateworld, Solutions or the German site, erm.... Stargate PRoject? Methinks.

As for how can it be MGM if it's so vague - well, last time they tried to be a little less vague, it took Sci Fi a couple of hours or so to throw in the "you can't broadcast any new sG1 episodes inside the US" bit. Since we don't know what MGM are trying to pull off (if they're trying to pull off anything) it migth be considered better for them to keep it vague as to not have trouble with SciFi - the fact is they still need them for Atlantis.

Hmmm, I wonder if they have the same clase in the contract with SciFi over Atlantis.

Well it's likely. But that will only hold while the current contract with sci fi holds. Here's reckoning the signing of the next contract with sci-fi mgm might omit that part smile.gif So atlantis will probably not have the same 'glued down' issue. But it depends what they bargain for, or what each aprty wants. But hopefully MGM have learned a little from this and won't include the 'this network only' bit in the contract. No matter how much sci fi want it.
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Oct 30th 2006, 12:33 PM
Post #636

Colonel
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Oct 29th 2006, 8:40 PM) *

Well it's likely. But that will only hold while the current contract with sci fi holds. Here's reckoning the signing of the next contract with sci-fi mgm might omit that part smile.gif So atlantis will probably not have the same 'glued down' issue. But it depends what they bargain for, or what each aprty wants. But hopefully MGM have learned a little from this and won't include the 'this network only' bit in the contract. No matter how much sci fi want it.

I'm not so sure how likely it is. It makes sense with SG1 - they tok it on on season 6, no one expected it to last - and even if it did and everything, what other network would take on an 11 year old science fiction show that costs about 40 million dollars a year and draws in an average of 2.2 million viewers?
SGA is a newer show, so things are differnet. It might not be worth its while for MGM to back down on that issue with SGA.

But at any rate, I hope you're right, and that even if they are bound to the SciFi channel, they can switch channels at some point if they need to. And definitely hope they learned their lesson!
(stupid Scifi...)
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Nov 8th 2006, 5:13 PM
Post #637

Colonel
Group Icon

Double post, cos I just can't edit.

Solutions are reporting season 8 is coming back to Scifi Fridays between the BSG airings.

Nuff said, methinks ;)

This post has been edited by Pitry: Nov 8th 2006, 5:14 PM
+Quote Post
bigjohn_1972
post Nov 8th 2006, 11:10 PM
Post #638

Brigadier General
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,135

Hey, wait a second ...

Stargate was cancelled!?!

Confuzzled.gif
+Quote Post
Kalliope
post Nov 9th 2006, 4:12 AM
Post #639

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,547

QUOTE(bigjohn_1972 @ Nov 9th 2006, 5:10 AM) *

Hey, wait a second ...

Stargate was cancelled!?!

Confuzzled.gif

Uhm... over 2 months ago now?
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Nov 9th 2006, 5:17 AM
Post #640

General
Group Icon

He's only joking you know.
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Nov 9th 2006, 8:56 AM
Post #641

Colonel
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Nov 9th 2006, 12:17 PM) *

He's only joking you know.

Oh, c'mon, don't say that. John isn't the type to do things like that, now, is he?
+Quote Post
Arcady
post Dec 15th 2006, 6:08 PM
Post #642

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

So, some guys in the Stargate offices are working on ideas for a third show. It hasn't even been pitched to a production company, let alone been picked up or sold to a network or syndication. There's no news there.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Dec 15th 2006, 7:21 PM
Post #643

General
Group Icon

Please, Shanks as the main actor? I seriously hope not. Rumour said that he wasn't signing up for season 11 if it had gone ahead so I don't see how TPTB could have him in mind for the lead role. If anything, like the article says, he'll only do it to improve his status as an actor. If he does sign on he'll probably leave after a few season because his head grew too big again.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Dec 15th 2006, 8:33 PM
Post #644

General
Group Icon

Personally, I'd love to know what the concept of this show will be. Let's face it, with Daniel as the main character, they can't do all that much because he is an archaeologist. All they could do is another version of Atlantis with him as a civilian commander.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Dec 16th 2006, 4:51 AM
Post #645

General
Group Icon

You know, that wouldn't suprise me at all. I think that it's clear the second of the DVD movies is going to lead into something new because it's odd for the main story arcs to end in the first movie and not the second. The only thing is, it seems like it's going to be similar to the Galactica spin off that is going into production, a show that deals with politics more than action.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Dec 16th 2006, 5:18 AM
Post #646

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

Though it would cost them a lot of money, I think that Michael Shanks is a valuable resource to any Stargate spin-off. They did this to themselves, Michael Shanks is the only character that has linked mythologies and the character with the biggest potential of them all...

My worry is that his presence in the new show could overshadow the other new potential talents the spin-off would have. And it sounds like this is going to happen if he was appointed for a leading role.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Dec 16th 2006, 7:05 AM
Post #647

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Dec 16th 2006, 10:18 AM) *
Though it would cost them a lot of money, I think that Michael Shanks is a valuable resource to any Stargate spin-off. They did this to themselves, Michael Shanks is the only character that has linked mythologies and the character with the biggest potential of them all...

My worry is that his presence in the new show could overshadow the other new potential talents the spin-off would have. And it sounds like this is going to happen if he was appointed for a leading role.
I could understand Michael Shanks appearing in the pilot, as he did with Atlantis but I wouldn't want to see him as the lead in the series. As with any show, money and ratings are always an issue. Atlantis was only saved from cancellation because it had a lower production cost that SG-1. Having Michael (and possibly Claudia Black) as regulars on the possible spin off would push up the production costs before the show even began. I've never been a huge fan of Michael and, like you said, his presence will be in danger of overshadowing rest of the cast. I'd much prefer that one or two of the established Stargate cast appear in the pilot and leave it at that.
+Quote Post
Kalliope
post Dec 16th 2006, 8:54 AM
Post #648

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,547

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Dec 16th 2006, 1:05 PM) *

I could understand Michael Shanks appearing in the pilot, as he did with Atlantis but I wouldn't want to see him as the lead in the series. As with any show, money and ratings are always an issue. Atlantis was only saved from cancellation because it had a lower production cost that SG-1. Having Michael (and possibly Claudia Black) as regulars on the possible spin off would push up the production costs before the show even began.

I don't think so. Having the AMERICAN actor as the lead in the new production would push up the production costs. Michael is Canadian and Claudia is Australian. SAG's financial rules don't apply to them.
+Quote Post

28 Pages V « < 25 26 27 28 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 16th 2014 - 8:28 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.