Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> News Info

You can always read the latest 20 news stories at: www.sg1archive.com/news

Tip: Receive the latest Stargate news via email by subscribing to this forum.

28 Pages V « < 26 27 28  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stargate SG-1 Cancelled by Sci Fi Channel?, Atlantis Reportedly Renewed
Dafmeister
post Dec 16th 2006, 9:35 AM
Post #649

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

QUOTE(Kalliope @ Dec 16th 2006, 1:54 PM) *
I don't think so. Having the AMERICAN actor as the lead in the new production would push up the production costs. Michael is Canadian and Claudia is Australian. SAG's financial rules don't apply to them.
What? So you think that because Michael is Canadian he'll work for less than an American actor that has only just been cast on the show? Michael has been a regular on SG-1 for a little over 9 years so he will obviously want at least equal pay to what he recieves for SG-1 at the moment. TPTB can pay a newly cast actor much less because they aren't a fundamental part of the show.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lancelot
post Dec 16th 2006, 9:38 AM
Post #650

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,650

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Dec 16th 2006, 12:05 PM) *

I could understand Michael Shanks appearing in the pilot, as he did with Atlantis but I wouldn't want to see him as the lead in the series. As with any show, money and ratings are always an issue. Atlantis was only saved from cancellation because it had a lower production cost that SG-1. Having Michael (and possibly Claudia Black) as regulars on the possible spin off would push up the production costs before the show even began. I've never been a huge fan of Michael and, like you said, his presence will be in danger of overshadowing rest of the cast. I'd much prefer that one or two of the established Stargate cast appear in the pilot and leave it at that.

well shanks is one of my favourites and it would be very cool to see daniel in the past but would that mess with our future? could he prevent the virus that destroyed most of the ancients or the wraith seige of atlantis
if he stopped the wraith winning in pegasus when we got there we could have met the ancients in person
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Dec 16th 2006, 10:00 AM
Post #651

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

I'm sorry but my theory is still the future, there's nothing to say that he won't get travelled to the future if it did happen. And would be better imo. As for shanks starring, I'm fine with that, he's a good character so it would be good if it does happen. As for him leaving straight away I don't think that would be an issue either, aren't there certain rules in US television that you get instantly signed up for 5 years of a show when you sign from the start?? I don't believe it would be a problem though they wouldn't sign him if they thought he would drop out after a year. Also the show could afford to bring in one of the old cast, it's only one of them... Vala has also only been with the show a year. So she wouldn't be too expensive either.
As for the new series, it's good news to me, I'll look forward to that one, plus they aren't rushing this like they did a bit with atlantis. They're taking a lot more time for it so they should be able to get it good. I'll look forward to it anyway.

Also as to the 'no one's signed it yet', that is true. But both MGM and sci fi have stated that they would be interested in pursuing a third series, so I don't think it would be too much of a problem.
+Quote Post
Kalliope
post Dec 16th 2006, 11:32 AM
Post #652

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,547

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Dec 16th 2006, 3:35 PM) *

What? So you think that because Michael is Canadian he'll work for less than an American actor that has only just been cast on the show? Michael has been a regular on SG-1 for a little over 9 years so he will obviously want at least equal pay to what he recieves for SG-1 at the moment. TPTB can pay a newly cast actor much less because they aren't a fundamental part of the show.

I'm only saying that the start price of any American actor who's on the show is higher than actors from other countries (if we're talking about shows being made for the American TV channels, if the Canadian channel was THE FIRST to air the new show, that's completely different matter). And I'm pretty sure Michael gets less money than Beau Bridges for example.
+Quote Post
More Cowbell!
post Dec 16th 2006, 1:18 PM
Post #653

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,532

QUOTE(Kalliope @ Dec 16th 2006, 11:32 AM) *

I'm only saying that the start price of any American actor who's on the show is higher than actors from other countries (if we're talking about shows being made for the American TV channels, if the Canadian channel was THE FIRST to air the new show, that's completely different matter). And I'm pretty sure Michael gets less money than Beau Bridges for example.

Michael could be a member of the Alliance of Canadian Television and Radio Artists (ACTRA), which is affiliated with SAG.

However, he doesn't need to be paid the same as he is on SG1, it is a different show after all.

And I would doubt very much that Beau makes more money than Michael.

This post has been edited by More Cowbell!: Dec 16th 2006, 1:19 PM
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Dec 16th 2006, 1:39 PM
Post #654

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kalliope @ Dec 16th 2006, 4:32 PM) *
I'm only saying that the start price of any American actor who's on the show is higher than actors from other countries (if we're talking about shows being made for the American TV channels, if the Canadian channel was THE FIRST to air the new show, that's completely different matter).
We aren't talking about two actors who are just starting out on a show, we are talking about Michael Shanks and a possibly unknown actor. Michael Shanks is veteran of Stargate and will obviously cost more to hire. He won't take a cut in pay because it is a new show.

And I'm pretty sure Michael gets less money than Beau Bridges for example.
Beau Bridges is barely on SG-1 compared to Michael Shanks, how in hell does Bridges get paid more?
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Dec 16th 2006, 3:51 PM
Post #655

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 745

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Dec 16th 2006, 11:51 AM) *

You know, that wouldn't suprise me at all. I think that it's clear the second of the DVD movies is going to lead into something new because it's odd for the main story arcs to end in the first movie and not the second. The only thing is, it seems like it's going to be similar to the Galactica spin off that is going into production, a show that deals with politics more than action.

I woudl actually have liekd a politics-based show... but not with Daniel as lead. As much as he's my favourite character in amovie and 10 years of show, that doesn't bid well in my opinion. A jaffa show with Teal'c on the lead would have been something else entirely. ;) I just don't think that the directinos they can be heading with Daniel as lead (or the Daniel and Vala show, which is a possiblity, as much as I love CB and her portrayign fo Vala) - I'm nbot sure that's the kidn of show I want to be watching.

But I'm keeping optimistic.
+Quote Post
mithwriter
post Dec 16th 2006, 5:59 PM
Post #656

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 885

Honestly, I think a new Stargate show would be better if it had Ben Browder instead of Michael Shanks. I mean honestly, I think general fans (and not the rabid "I'd watch Michael read a phone book" fans) are on the verge of Daniel overload. 10+ years. Enough already. Bring in Mitchell and give him a new supporting cast of characters that we can watch develop in front of our eyes without previous character baggage. Browder is a great actor, and I think the SG-1 show shortchanged his talents, not to mention the fact he only got to do two years..and honestly, not very good two years as far as the show's stories/character arcs were concerned.

As a fan, I gots to say.."We wuz robbed." laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Dec 16th 2006, 6:04 PM
Post #657

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 745

I dunno. I have to say I'm not entirely sure Ben browder isn't a one-trick horse (that's not the rigthe xpression, is it... sigh.) - but then again, while likign Farscape, I was never much of an enthusiast meself.

I'd still go for the whole new talented cast with here and there guest appearances from SG1 alumni. Perhaps Chris Judge on a main role.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Dec 16th 2006, 6:06 PM
Post #658

General
Group Icon

Sounds like a good idea. Ben Browder has pretty much been hung out to dry. Michael and Claudia are supposedly lined up for the new show, Amanda is appearing on Atlantis and Chris is writing scripts. Ben has had the short end of the stick and virtually been kicked out the door.
+Quote Post
Tony23310
post Sep 24th 2011, 12:59 PM
Post #659

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 98,055

Guys Stargate has been cancelled by Syfy, but why MGM didn't resume the series or make one more movie. They could just show the new episodes or the new movie in MGM's channel!
+Quote Post

28 Pages V « < 26 27 28
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 16th 2014 - 6:11 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.