Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate SG-1: General Discussion

This area is for general discussion of Stargate SG-1 only. SG-1 spoilers belong in the Spoilers & Speculation section. There are separate categories for Stargate Atlantis Discussion and Stargate Universe Discussion. Complete forum rules are available here.

SG-1 Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what got you hooked?
toolazytothinkofanoriginalname
post Aug 9th 2006, 9:06 PM
Post #1

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,905

going by the ages of some of the people on here, i doubt that everyone started w/ the movie and stuck with it ever since, so at what point did you start watching or got hooked on the show?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Magnavox
post Aug 9th 2006, 9:33 PM
Post #2

Posts with an accent...
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 3,724

Pretty sure this has been done before, but I started watching in season 4.
+Quote Post
Matman
post Aug 9th 2006, 9:50 PM
Post #3

where's my gameboy...
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,164

This is what got me hooked:

IPB Image

biggrin.gif

No but really I watched the pilot premiere then every episode after that, then watched the movie sometime during the second season.
+Quote Post
Romestar
post Aug 9th 2006, 10:05 PM
Post #4

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,897

I started watching season 6, a few months ago, and now it's my favorite show by far. I love the science and the military mix.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Aug 9th 2006, 10:09 PM
Post #5

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,622

Well I actually did see the movie.

But I got hooked during season 2 when it was on SHOWTIME and not the sci-fi channel. They gave us a free week of SHOWTIME on cable. Then I just waited for the syndication to begin, which took awhile. Then once it was on sci-fi, that was it.
+Quote Post
toolazytothinkofanoriginalname
post Aug 9th 2006, 10:31 PM
Post #6

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,905

it started out on showtime, not scifi?

is that how the could have nudity in the pilot?

This post has been edited by toolazytothinkofanoriginalname: Aug 9th 2006, 10:31 PM
+Quote Post
David_ofthe_Tar'e
post Aug 10th 2006, 12:05 AM
Post #7

Major
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,996

QUOTE(TooLazy)
it started out on showtime, not scifi?
It certianly did.

I didn't get hooked until about two years ago during the search for Atlantis in SG1. I came in at the perfect time to understand Atlantis.

I wasn't big on th show for ages because I just kept catching random episodes here and there until finally I realised the Mythology component was there and then I was hooked. The science factor is nice to though.
+Quote Post
danielfan
post Aug 10th 2006, 12:44 AM
Post #8

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,002

saw the movie when it came out on tape. My niece in MI was working at block buster the summer before her sr yr of high school. when we were visiting, she brought the move home for us to watch.

Started watching the series when the first season started airing in syndication. It replace another show my husband and I watched. We were hooked from the beginning. my son was I guess 7 at the time. He's been watching ever since.
my nine yr old has been watching the series her whole life. she finally saw the movie about a yr ago. Now she watches the series and movie as often as I do if not more.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Aug 10th 2006, 1:02 AM
Post #9

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

Saw the movie when I was a wee lad.

Saw some syndication of the series, so I went and bought seasons 1-6 all at the same time. I had to go all over to find season 1 though, that was annoying. I watched all the episodes straight through. Then I was hooked. Started watching SciFi, and still do today.
+Quote Post
joeyann
post Aug 10th 2006, 1:08 AM
Post #10

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,973

i started by seeing odd bits of eps in season 2 and then thinking hey this is really good got to find out more laugh.gif
then i was given the movie before i started buying the boxsets
+Quote Post
Janos
post Aug 10th 2006, 1:10 AM
Post #11

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,403

I was working in Utah for 2 months on a well, SG-1 was on at 11:00 at night and I was working from 3pm-3am. So, I started buying so that I could catch up on stuff I didn't quite know. Turns out I watched most of Season 1 and all of Season 2 on that well. It wasn't until I bought 3&4 that I started to see new episodes biggrin.gif

The rest is history.

I remember coming on the site because my roommate and I (I got him hooked when I would watch the new DVD's I'd buy) were trying to figure out who the hell the new bad guys were going to be for Season 8. I mean, they just kicked the ever-loving crap out of Anubis so any other Goa'uld would have been a joke. We figured that if Anubis had Ancient technology, and we whooped him... then any enemy that would pose a threat would have to be someone who whooped the Ancients.

Then after posting, I read other sections of the site. On the main page, there was a big article about the New Spinoff and some weird new enemy called the Wraith. biggrin.gif

Then I double-posted and apologized. Ahhhhh... memories.... biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Auntie Em!
post Aug 10th 2006, 1:51 AM
Post #12

Sipping on fine wine!
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,565

Are we talking about what got us hook on Stargate or sex?

Um, for Stargate it was something I flipped through the channels and found by accident and got hooked.

And if it is sex we are talking about I think what got me hook was when I did it and well, asked if we could do it again and again and again. biggrin.gif

» Click to Show Spoiler «

This post has been edited by Auntie Em!: Aug 10th 2006, 1:52 AM
+Quote Post
Pegasus Angel
post Aug 10th 2006, 2:19 AM
Post #13

Awakened...
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,176

Watched the film (bought it) and my friend used to lend me his tapes with the episodes he'd recorded. Until about S7 that is, then I just bought all the box sets.
+Quote Post
David_ofthe_Tar'e
post Aug 10th 2006, 2:26 AM
Post #14

Major
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,996

QUOTE(Auntie Em! @ Aug 10th 2006, 4:51 PM) *

Um, for Stargate it was something I flipped through the channels and found by accident and got hooked.

And if it is sex we are talking about I think what got me hook was when I did it and well, asked if we could do it again and again and again. biggrin.gif

Auntie the more I get to know about you, the less I know. Where did that come from? blink.gif
+Quote Post
SGater84
post Aug 10th 2006, 4:40 AM
Post #15

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,169

on the early movie and season 1 when it aired television in Finland! biggrin.gif PS. and yes sam is hot! w00t.gif

This post has been edited by SGater84: Aug 10th 2006, 4:42 AM
+Quote Post
Protoziggy90
post Aug 10th 2006, 5:05 AM
Post #16

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,304

I first saw the movie on TV a week or so before the season premiere of season 7. I then learned that there was a show based off the movie and the next week I started watching SG-1. That next summer, before season 8 started, I bought every season up to that point and watched them all from the beginning. Then of course was season 8 of SG-1 and season 1 of Atlantis, and I've been watching them both ever since...
+Quote Post
System Lord Rathos
post Aug 10th 2006, 5:17 AM
Post #17

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,202

Stargate Atlantis actually got me hooked on SG1....

I loved the movie, but never watched the series. I started watching Atlantis right from the start... but then once I got to Season 2, I couldn't follow the story without knowing all about SG1. So I went out and started buying the DVD sets. To say the least...I did not realize the amazing stories that I was missing. I thought Major Shepard was the coolest guy on TV... UNTIL I MET JACK O'NEILL. His sarcasm kills me sometimes.... I love them all. But yeah, so I got started backwards....Atlantis, then SG1.... then once I am caught up on SG1, I will go back and start re-watching Atlantis.

And that's my 2 cents. smile.gif
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Aug 10th 2006, 5:27 AM
Post #18

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,411

I started just flipping through the 6 o'clock viewings somewhere in Season 7 because Daniel had already come back. Ironically, the first episode I saw all the way through was "Meridian" and I was like 'damn, they killed this guy and I kinda liked him!'. Then I saw 'Chimera' on Friday night and said 'hey, he's back!'
I originally started because of RDA and stayed for MS. And I was fascinated by the Teal'c/Daniel relationship and the way T said 'Daniel Jackson'.
Once I got hooked, I got on Amazon and started shopping for box sets. I ran onto a good deal, someone was selling used sets of seasons 1-3 for $35 for all three years.
+Quote Post
Josh
post Aug 10th 2006, 6:06 AM
Post #19

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,179

I don't remember how I started watching the show, it was so long ago. However I do remember looking forward to watching it every Sunday on chanel 4. This was about season 2 or 3, so before the days of sky digital, or at leats in my house.
+Quote Post
Rogue Ashrak
post Aug 10th 2006, 6:20 AM
Post #20

Hero of Time
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,502

QUOTE(Auntie Em! @ Aug 10th 2006, 4:51 PM) *

QUOTE(David_ofthe_Tar'e @ Aug 10th 2006, 5:26 PM) *

Auntie the more I get to know about you, the less I know. Where did that come from? blink.gif

Em has a habit of derailing threads into the gutter. Although she's normally more subtle than that....Em, I must say I'm disappointed.

Back on topic, I'm what you could call a Stargate veteran. I wanted to see the movie when I first saw the trailer on TV, but back when I was younger (I was only 9 at the time) we didn't go to the movies that much (mostly only at Christmas). We rented a lot videos though, and watched Stargate soon after it came out on video.
A couple of years later the series arrived on free-to-air TV, with a HEAP of advertising for the premiere although they never metioned it was a series. I just assumed that Children of the Gods was simply a made for TV sequel.
Because of the length and the fact that I had to go to school the next day, we taped the second half. I watched it the next day, and when I got to the end, I found out that I was actually watching the first episode of a series, it had the advertisement for the next episode....which had just happened to be airing whilst I was watching the first ep on tape!
Unfortunately I switched over just in time to see Teal'c take out Kawalsky, and it was three years before I was able to catch the repeat of this on TV, (although friends at school told me what happened the next day). But apart from that I religiously watched every single episode as it aired on TV.
So I'm fairly lucky in that I got to pretty much watch it in order from the start, much less confusing that way,

+Quote Post
Mac.Fan
post Aug 10th 2006, 6:39 AM
Post #21

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,500

QUOTE(toolazytothinkofanoriginalname @ Aug 9th 2006, 9:06 PM) *

going by the ages of some of the people on here, i doubt that everyone started w/ the movie and stuck with it ever since, so at what point did you start watching or got hooked on the show?

I watch the moive when it irst came out and when my husband told me that they were making the program from when he read it in the TV guide, i through it would be great and when it finial came to New Zealand in 1998, i through great and i watch the first episode and been watching it ever since.
+Quote Post
NicEck
post Aug 10th 2006, 6:45 AM
Post #22

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,656

I guess it was when season 3 aired here in Germany, I was flipping channels and got captured by RDA on the screen. My only thought was "he looks so much hotter now than during the MacGyver-times" 1.gif
From there on I was pretty much addicted... bought the dvd's as soon as they were out smile.gif
+Quote Post
SGater84
post Aug 10th 2006, 7:51 AM
Post #23

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,169

yes and that when i started looking this great show sg1. on television Finnish channel MTV3 show seasons 1 to 5 then mtv3 stopped showing sg1. mad.gif then i bought seasonbox 6-7-8 then otherhand i m glad biggrin.gif that they stop showing the show. because i m enjoyed the show better that i have seasonboxes! i now have seasons 1-2 and these newer ones 6 to 8. and soon i have seasons 3 to 5 and await to have season 9 very bad! wacko.gif i know typos alot of typos! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by SGater84: Aug 10th 2006, 7:58 AM
+Quote Post
cosmos
post Aug 10th 2006, 8:22 AM
Post #24

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,080

I saw the movie in the cinema when it first went out. I liked it at the time. Then many years later I rented 'Children of the Gods' because I got a hint that RDA was making a new Stargate movie. At this point I didn't know that a new Stargate series was coming out. I thought it was a standalone film and not a pilot for the series. I liked it but it sorta left me hanging for more.

Then about three years later I spoted a Stargate episode on TV and so I was hooked on the series ever since. I believe that first episode was the Season 1 Finale.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 21st 2014 - 4:43 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.