danielfan
post Aug 5th 2006, 7:17 PM
Post #1

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,002

Anyone here planning on attending?
I am volunteering in the Stargate trackI will probably be helping out with games and decorations, but don't have a set assignment yet.

Christopher Judge, Don S Davis and Gary Jones will be there.

I can't wait. I'll have on a green SG other worlds Tshirt and my ID badge-Sharon.
If anyone from the archives see me there please say hi.

This post has been edited by danielfan: Aug 5th 2006, 7:18 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
xayeidemon
post Aug 5th 2006, 8:43 PM
Post #2

Always a cousin, never a boochi!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,544

My best friend's working a booth with something called Stargate: Atlanta. I think that's the name, I'm not sure. In any case, I can't afford Dragon*Con, so I'll be at AWA instead. sad.gif
+Quote Post
danielfan
post Aug 5th 2006, 9:27 PM
Post #3

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

xay... if you volunteer, you don't pay. We still need help I do believe.
It looks like she is working with a fan group that is running the fan videos booth.
+Quote Post
xayeidemon
post Aug 5th 2006, 10:44 PM
Post #4

Always a cousin, never a boochi!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,544

I'll have to see about joining up next year, then. I didn't know it was free for volunteers. If I had, I certainly wouldn't have put all my money into AWA, most of which is going towards a room at the Renaissance Waverly. mad.gif

How do you go about signing up to volunteer for Dragon*Con? Is it relatively painless or somewhat of a hassle?
+Quote Post
Linz
post Aug 6th 2006, 2:13 PM
Post #5

Second in Command
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 587

Arcady and I will be there smile.gif

I'm looking really forward to the Firefly and BSG guests!

Xay. you should come tongue.gif I command you!

danielfan: when you find out what you'll be doing, let me know and I'll make sure to come and say hi!
+Quote Post
danielfan
post Aug 6th 2006, 5:37 PM
Post #6

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Xay.... Just go to the Dragon*Con website and under memberships there is a subsection..... volunteer staff
here is a direct link http://www.dragoncon.org/m_volunteer.htm

Once you pick an area to volunteer in you email to coordinator. I emailed Marcia, and joined the yahoo group for SGOW. When I didn't here back from her through the DC email address I emailed her through the yahoo group. she got right back to me and apologized for not receiving my first email.
It was as simple as that. On the yahoo group we are discussing job assignments,ordering Tshirts etc.
The DC site gives a list of info they have to have for their non profit status (basic info, name DOB address etc).

As soon as I know my assignment I'll post it here
+Quote Post
Saffron
post Aug 8th 2006, 11:40 AM
Post #7

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,472

I'll be there! w00t.gif

I'm ridiculously excited about it since its the first time I've ever been on vacation by myself. I've gone on vacation with my family and I've been on lots of trips for work but this is the first time I'm actually going somewhere to indulge in my own interests.

I'll be meeting up with some fans of Lost. But I've been wondering who from here might be attending and would very much like to meet those of you attending. smile.gif

I'm very excited about the list of guests and hope I get a chance to meet one or two of them. Unless there's been a change, Cliff Simon (Ba'al) will be there too! cloud9.gif
+Quote Post
danielfan
post Aug 28th 2006, 12:13 AM
Post #8

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Well sh*t... it looks like I won't be there this year afterall.
I can't believe how screwed up the person is that is running the SG track.
ST was listed on the D*c site as needing volunteers. It gave a detailed description of what is involved in volunteering (4 5hr shifts, dress code etc) and that there is a one time $20 fee. Other than that, volunteers do not pay to attend DC.
I cantacted the head to the SG track and she said they still needed volunteers. told me what positions were open and I emailed her back telling her what ones I was interested in. I also sent her $20 via paypal for a SG/DC Tshirt.
Well this week the duty list came out and I was not on it. I emailed her and she at first acted like it was the first time I contacted her. She sent me the same list of slots that were open. I emailed what I was interested in to the perosn she told me to contact. I then emailed her back and asked when/how should I pay the $20 volunteer fee. She said that those paying general admission didn't pay the $20 fee.
I asked her to clarify since volunteers only paid the $20 fee. she informed me that only her "staff" got the $20 slots. these were reserved for only the people who had been working for her for months.
I was really upset at first. Now I don't know what to do. Should I contact D*C and tell them she is not registering all of her volunteers as volunteers. should I jsut drop it?
I have found a couple of volunteer positions still open with D*C. they need help at the registration desk, security and in the independent films track.
However I'm so fed up with it, that I just want to just forgert about D*C this yr and hope that someone comptent is in charge of the SG track next year.

This post has been edited by danielfan: Aug 28th 2006, 12:20 AM
+Quote Post
Auntie Em!
post Aug 28th 2006, 4:31 AM
Post #9

Sipping on fine wine!
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 8,565

Be persistant DanielFan. Go for it. It sounds fishy to me what that chick is doing. Try and go around her.
+Quote Post
danielfan
post Aug 28th 2006, 9:50 AM
Post #10

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

I've decided to just drop trying to volunteer/attend. Turns out finding a sitter for my 9 yr old is a nightmare. My husband I both thought he was off on Friday, but he is not, and my teenager has to work Friday also.

I do think I will contact D*C and see what their policy is for "unregistered" volunteers. The contact person for the SG schedule emailed me back and never indicated anything about working before the event, only working the 20hrs of the event. aparently She was putting me down for 3 shifts, but didn't indicate the length

The head of the SG track is claiming I missed her deadline of June 9 to qualify as an official volunteer. Yet when I contacted her at the end of July she was still listed as needing volunteer staff on the D*C site. The only deadline that the D*C site list is paying it by Aug 18 to insure your badge is printed ahead of time. That the $20 can be paid at the event, but to arrive in plenty of time before your shift to be processed.

someone was even told on the D*C staff list to show up with $20 in hand and they would be put to work whereever there was a shortage.
+Quote Post
Saffron
post Aug 30th 2006, 8:32 PM
Post #11

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,472

Hopefully I'll get to see some of you this weekend. You'll probably find me stalking lurking near visiting the Kavan Smith table. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
danielfan
post Aug 30th 2006, 9:07 PM
Post #12

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

found out that CJ has cancelled. There goes any motivation I had for trying to go. Torri (however you spell it)/Dr Weir has booked last minute.
+Quote Post
Auntie Em!
post Aug 30th 2006, 9:56 PM
Post #13

Sipping on fine wine!
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 8,565

Why did CJ cancel? Did they say? That is always my fear with those things. Them canceling out at the last moment!
+Quote Post
danielfan
post Aug 31st 2006, 9:06 AM
Post #14

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

A reason wasn't given but someone from DC said that there are contracts between D*C and the guest stars. That they can't just cancel on a whim without penalties Speculation is the shooting schedule has changed to accomodate shooiting the end of the series.

edit... not that they are shooting the end now, but that some things might have to be redone because of changes being made

This post has been edited by danielfan: Aug 31st 2006, 9:07 AM
+Quote Post
Linz
post Sep 5th 2006, 6:15 PM
Post #15

Second in Command
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 587

I'm back from D*con. I'll be posting some pictures here in the next few days from the Stargate panels (and Firefly/Serenity and Battlestar Galactica panels too)

Talk about the most exhausting "vacation" I've ever had, lol! but I did get "rubbed the right way" from the "evil free sample" man.
+Quote Post
danielfan
post Sep 6th 2006, 10:33 AM
Post #16

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Can't wait to see the pics.
Hopefully next yr I can go, and tkae my daughter. She really wanted to see the guest from Firefly. She loves SG, but she is nuts about FF
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 27th 2014 - 4:47 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.