Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> News Info

You can always read the latest 20 news stories at: www.sg1archive.com/news

Tip: Receive the latest Stargate news via email by subscribing to this forum.

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sci Fi to Delay Second Half of Stargate Series?, News from Comic Con
Osiris Seker
post Jul 24th 2006, 6:03 PM
Post #25

Civilian
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,088

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Jul 24th 2006, 9:23 AM) *

Okay...... why?? It probably is so the second half of the seasons can continue at the same time as galactica maybe?? Or they just think sg-1s viewers could be boosted by being alongside galactica?? Or the other way round. I do think it is rediculous though, why just not show the season together? I always found it odd that they took a 4 month gap in the middle of running episodes, now they want it to be longer?? It's a season of a show, they're supposed to show the new season as a series of episodes (maybe that's why over here they're called series's) splitting them up always seemed bad to me. I prefere our way of just showing all the episodes togather in one long go, and having to wait 6 months for the new series. It's better that way imo and you just get the new series. Makes so much more sence. But having a 6 month hiatus??
(Not promoting it or saying anyone here does it but...) They do realise people download don't they?? It can affect viewers. And that's why RDD I think it is...(galactica(new) creator) said that he didn't like the fact that the first series was premiered in England because the fact that people would download and it would affect viewers stateside, which is where it matters whether it gets renewed or not. And it could affect stargate viewers, if you tell people to wait 7 months to see the second half of a season you start showing people might find other ways of seeing it. Especially with the fact that Britain and Canada will get them up to 3 months earlier. It's a stupid game to play imo and there can be backfiring posibilities of it.
Why not, it worked with the shortening of the credits. And this is something bigger then that, so why not?

Sorry, that's my rant... biggrin.gif

You seriously took the words right out of my mouth.

And I've always thought it was stupid, to split it up. I have never understood why they did that all. It makes no freaking sense. Seriously, can someone explain it to me. O and Ancient Kane, email me at FMustangGt1965@yahoo.com or IM me on AIM on FMustanGT1965, i need to ask you something.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ha'tak
post Jul 24th 2006, 10:09 PM
Post #26

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,229

are they Frakking Nuts!

ok im going to join in on this Emailing of Sci-fi

heres a copy of the complaint Ive sent
QUOTE(myslef)
Dear Sci-Fi Network Programming Department,

Upon hearing of the unofficial (as of yet) change in scheduling for the second half of both the Stargate SG1 and Atlantis seasons made by your Vice President of Original Programming Mark Stern, my personal objection flared to this outrage. By doing this you have severely hampered your own profits from both of the Stargate Series. The reason why you can even get into the 1.8 ranges for these episodes is because your network is the first place, internationally, where the Episodes coming out of Bridge Studios in Vancouver are aired. Now as I am sure that television broadcast companies, like yourself, know that your aired material is recorded and then delivered worldwide, via the internet, for downloading by many. Even though it is illegal in many, if not all places, seeing that your network is the first to air said episodes your ratings are not affected. However by airing the episodes on a later date, your ratings will most definitely and significantly drop due to your rescheduling.

As a fan of the Stargate series I am severely afraid that your misconceptions could lead to the end of series which has lasted more then any programming you currently are airing. As a fan of the show I even paid for a more advanced cable service to receive your network. Now I know that Battlestar Galactica is another one of the more popular shows that you provide, I myself am a fan of the remake from the older show. But I personally enjoyed last years Sci-Fi Friday line-up, where I could sit down and watch three hours of quality television. Every Friday night was something to look forward to. I understand that Battlestar Galactica timeslot was something of a hassle for some, in example I am in the Central time zone would watch the show from nine pm to ten pm. This problem could be solved very simply by moving either the Stargate series or the Battlestar Galactica series to be aired on a different night of the week, that way if the Battlestar Galactica spin-off Caprica moves beyond the speculation stage they could be aired back to back, similar to Stargate SG1 and its own spin-off Atlantis.

Sincerely,
A Disgruntled Viewer

This post has been edited by ha'tak: Jul 24th 2006, 10:40 PM
+Quote Post
Holly Hannah
post Jul 25th 2006, 3:43 AM
Post #27

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,350

OMG ohmy.gif and we here in the land of Oz thought we were badly done by. Our tv stations just wouldn't air the program but to get half a season and then have to wait, that is torture, insulting and downright scandalous!

I don't know about you guys, but reading between the lines it looks to me that sci-fi don't think that SG1/SGA are going to last much longer and therefore are pushing a show that may go on for a few years after SG1/SGA are gone. That's just my take on it - and will stand corrected if the need arises.

It's amazing, they do all the hoopla about the 200th - and then they do this? They would have had a hand in all the "record breaking" promotional stuff - yet they bump the show?? One really has to ask why? dry.gif

So if there is anything us Aussies can do to help your cause - just let us know. We have become experts in "fax flooding" and I'm sure that there are quite a few of us that would only be too happy to add "email experts" to our claim. All we ask is that you give us some good solid facts that we can use.

We are here to assist - all you have to do is call wink.gif

This is what my favorite Aussie site has to say about the situation: Stargate Australia News

This post has been edited by Holly Hannah: Jul 25th 2006, 4:01 AM
+Quote Post
bigjohn_1972
post Jul 25th 2006, 10:54 AM
Post #28

Brigadier General
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,135

Doesn't Stargate get better ratings than BSG? Why on earth would they push Stargate aside for so long, considering it's the more popular show? This doesn't make sense. Or cents.

Edit: Here is what I wrote them:

I have just heard the unofficial (as of yet) change in scheduling for the second half of both the Stargate SG1 and Atlantis seasons made by your Vice President of Original Programming Mark Stern.

I have to ask, is Mr. Stern trying to kill the show? I can see no other reason to torture US fans into waiting 7 months for the second half of the shows, which will most likely have mid-season two parters, that the fans will forget about anyway because the split will be soo long.

Considering that the Stargate series gets better ratings than BSG (which I don't watch btw) I would expect more respect to be paid to the show, and more importantly to the fans, who are the ones that pay your bills.

If you go through with this plan, what I will politely call a stupid idea, I can see the ratings falling (for a variety of reasons) for the Stargate shows.

If this is your plan, congratulations, I think it will work.

Truly,
Angry Stargate Fan.

This post has been edited by bigjohn_1972: Jul 25th 2006, 11:04 AM
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jul 25th 2006, 11:56 AM
Post #29

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

QUOTE(bigjohn_1972 @ Jul 25th 2006, 4:54 PM) *
Doesn't Stargate get better ratings than BSG?
It may get the ocassional higher rating but overall, Galactica gets the higher ratings, followed by SG-1 with Atlantis coming third.
+Quote Post
joeyann
post Jul 25th 2006, 11:56 AM
Post #30

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,973

i've just emailed them about this news and i've put in a few words (trying to keep my temper but was losing it by the time i finished laugh.gif ),
here is what my email sort of went like (a bit shorter than what i wrote)......
that i was really dissapointed about how US fans are told that the show will go on air and then to find out that you have pulled the plug by showing it at a later date dry.gif
then went on to say that it wasnot fair that our overseas palls got better showings (but from reading this thread and others i guess this isnt the case but hey i was on a roll!) maybe if they could listen to the fans and check their ratings they would see that this is a silly thing to do and to get their facts straight before they go around pulling show to then show them at a later date!

i sort of lost my rag at this point whistling.gif laugh.gif but you get the idea how mad i got myself for you all wink.gif

+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Jul 25th 2006, 5:23 PM
Post #31

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

I just sent my daily email to them. Different from before, but saying the very same thing. This is so wrong for so many reasons.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jul 25th 2006, 5:27 PM
Post #32

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

By now, they should have a headache full of emails. They should have received angry e-mails from various people around the world. How long do you think it would take until they take effect? 1.gif
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jul 25th 2006, 6:51 PM
Post #33

General
Group Icon

I don't see the point of people from different countries e-mailing in. The scheduling change will only affect the US so all Sci-Fi are going to do is ignore those who aren't from the US. If it was something that would affect other countries (like the shortened credits) then I'd understand non-US members sending them messages but as the change affects no other country outside the US, there is little point in everyone complaining.
+Quote Post
Auntie Em!
post Jul 25th 2006, 6:52 PM
Post #34

Sipping on fine wine!
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,565

I have emailed a few times now. I think they will get the ideal as they did with the opening credits. But we need to keep it up and bombard them with it.

Daf you are incorrect. It was with the help of these international people that the opening credits were fixed. It was the US that had the shortened credits as Canada did not we had the full credits from the git go. Yet we helped the US get it.

It also does effect more than the US. Because if the US delays the second half people will DL it and when the US finally does air the episode the viewer numbers will be lower. It is the ratings that effect if the show gets picked up again or not. So ineffect S11 may not even happen just because they delayed the second half. So yes it does effect the international community as a whole.

This post has been edited by Auntie Em!: Jul 25th 2006, 6:55 PM
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jul 25th 2006, 7:02 PM
Post #35

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Auntie Em! @ Jul 26th 2006, 12:52 AM) *
Daf you are incorrect.
Nope, I'm not.

It was with the help of these international people that the opening credits were fixed. It was the US that had the shortened credits as Canada did not we had the full credits from the git go. Yet we helped the US get it.
Not according to Sci-Fi.

Face it, Sci-Fi aren't going to stop the rescheduling of shows just because people complain. Whatever happens people will still watch the show, no matter when it is aired. The complaints will eventually die down and everyone will go back to normal and watch the shows when they are broadcast.
+Quote Post
Auntie Em!
post Jul 25th 2006, 7:06 PM
Post #36

Sipping on fine wine!
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,565

I do not know what happens in the UK Daf but here in NA the fan most certainly DO effect when, where and IF a tv shows gets aired.

Look at "Cagney and Lacey". The show was cancelled but it was the fans that brought it back. Numerious shows were brought back due to us

Look at the intro to S9 of SG1. I do not give a sh*t what SciFi gives as a reason the brought it back. They were wrong and the fans let them know it. So they changed it. The excuse they gave was so very transparent.

This post has been edited by Auntie Em!: Jul 25th 2006, 7:07 PM
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Jul 25th 2006, 7:27 PM
Post #37

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Em, I'm with you on this. If the ratings go down, and they will with this scheduling, it will definitely effect a possible season 11 for SG1 and a possible season 4 for Atlantis. That will effect everyone that cares about these shows.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jul 25th 2006, 8:36 PM
Post #38

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

May I also remind you that this is not official yet. So if they get this many complaints from the posiblibility of it being puched back, it may make them decide it's a bad idea and change their minds. Because it's alot easier to simply not go ahead with it before it's been officially announced then when they've said it's going to happen. So yes it helps now, and now is the best time imo to email in. Because it hasn't been announced yet and could help. Also the more complaints they get the better daf. Even if they're from other countries, A) it still shows up as a complaint and B) we don't have to tell them we're from another country. And I think it would help. It's better then not doing anything, and it's not like an anti-war rally, it could do something! It's all about pleasing us and the viewers, if they piss off fans it could be a bad move.
If they wanted all year round programming surely there's better things for them to do?? I.e. Have one of their other popular shows in the march-july gap, such as doctor who's second season, battlestar having a break like sg1 would or one of their other more popular shows. I don't buy the all year round thing. They could come up with something more concrete then having sg's second half of the seasons 6 months after the first blink.gif

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Jul 25th 2006, 8:44 PM
+Quote Post
ha'tak
post Jul 25th 2006, 9:45 PM
Post #39

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,229

well Ive sent my second email to them and I am going to send one every day if I dont hear otherwise. The more people who bombard Sci-Fi's email the better. This tactic has worked before with cancelled shows and for the 10 second intros.

Im also using both of my email accounts to send complaints.... make it look like theres more of us rather then one furrious viewer
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jul 26th 2006, 4:09 AM
Post #40

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Jul 26th 2006, 1:27 AM) *
If the ratings go down, and they will with this scheduling, it will definitely effect a possible season 11 for SG1 and a possible season 4 for Atlantis.
Unfortunately that is just conjecture at the moment. There is no evidence that ratings will go down if Stargate is moved. You can ask any fan on this site and the majority will still watch after the scheduling change, if it goes ahead.
+Quote Post
Osy
post Jul 26th 2006, 6:35 AM
Post #41

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,065

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jul 26th 2006, 5:09 AM) *

Unfortunately that is just conjecture at the moment. There is no evidence that ratings will go down if Stargate is moved. You can ask any fan on this site and the majority will still watch after the scheduling change, if it goes ahead.

You can't go by that. This site is a few thousand fans worldwide. But the ratings Scifi Channel goes by is a few million people in the U.S. And those few million people are not all hardcore fans like we are.

Plus, if you have a bunch of people who are DL it and watching it from the airings overseas months ahead of time...by them doing it that way, they will be done watching the season by the time it is scheduled to air in March. If they've already seen them all, they have no need to sit and watch them again. Some will, but a lot won't and thats a large drop in numbers. And any more than a marginal drop in ratings can spell doom for a show.
+Quote Post
bigjohn_1972
post Jul 26th 2006, 7:52 AM
Post #42

Brigadier General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jul 26th 2006, 5:09 AM) *

Actually, as has been mentioned before, a lot of fans won't have the patience to wait, and will probably download the eps from their friends overseas. This will surely drop the ratings!
+Quote Post
mithwriter
post Jul 26th 2006, 10:10 AM
Post #43

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 885

My guess is that SciFi will re-run the first half of the season prior to the 2nd half starting in March so viewers will have the chance to watch the season straight through if they wish.

Or we can watch the first half, wait 'till rerun season starts, re-watch the first half, and then go into the second first-runs. Its not an unusual scheduling thing to do anymore.

Or US viewers will get fed up and do The Thing That Must Not Be Named... whistling.gif

This post has been edited by mithwriter: Jul 26th 2006, 10:10 AM
+Quote Post
bigjohn_1972
post Jul 26th 2006, 11:31 AM
Post #44

Brigadier General
Group Icon

QUOTE(mithwriter @ Jul 26th 2006, 11:10 AM) *

Or US viewers will get fed up and do The Thing That Must Not Be Named... whistling.gif

Lol, good Harry Potter reference!
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Jul 26th 2006, 1:46 PM
Post #45

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Osy @ Jul 26th 2006, 6:35 AM) *

You can't go by that. This site is a few thousand fans worldwide. But the ratings Scifi Channel goes by is a few million people in the U.S. And those few million people are not all hardcore fans like we are.

Plus, if you have a bunch of people who are DL it and watching it from the airings overseas months ahead of time...by them doing it that way, they will be done watching the season by the time it is scheduled to air in March. If they've already seen them all, they have no need to sit and watch them again. Some will, but a lot won't and thats a large drop in numbers. And any more than a marginal drop in ratings can spell doom for a show.

Osy, I totally agree. The diehard SG1 fans in the US, will do the one thing that is illegal, and consequently the ratings will drop. Around the world you guys get to see the show clear through, you always have. That has been so unfair, this is worse.
+Quote Post
psjm1
post Jul 26th 2006, 2:11 PM
Post #46

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,475

Having thought over this dilemma for the past couple of days, I have reached a conclusion. And for what it?s worth here it is! I think there are several things that we as Stargate fans can do to help out the franchise. First, I recommend that we start a word of mouth campaign to tell as many people as possible about SG-1 and Atlantis. Talk to your neighbors, friends, family, co-workers, heck you can talk to complete strangers for all I care; just tell as many people as you can about Stargate and tell them when it airs and that it airs on SciFi. The end result being a ratings boost for the current seasons. In my opinion, Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis are wonderful shows and I feel there are many more potential viewers who would like the shows if they just knew about them. I think this would be a significant step in the right direction. Second, for those of us who already watch Stargate on a regular basis, please try to watch it when it airs not on Tivo. As most of you know, TV shows that are taped by DVRs such as Tivo DO NOT count in the ratings. I realize that there are situations in which you cannot watch the shows live (i.e. work, school, etc?) but if we all try to watch them live I think the ratings will boost. Third, I think that an e-mail campaign (which I know is already in effect) might help SciFi realize that we are concerned. There are already several versions of e-mails that you can send or you can be creative and pen your own. I do have one suggestion about e-mailing SciFi, try to be nice. If you are overly angry or ugly to them chances are they won?t listen to us. Well after so many words, you have now read my suggestion. Now you have a choice, you can try my suggestion and see how it goes or you can ignore it and do nothing. Me, I hope you try it. I think that we can really make a difference. So I pray that you give these ideas a try. If you need SciFi?s e-mail address it is: feedback@scifi.com. Have a great day!

Daniel - (psjm1)
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jul 26th 2006, 2:16 PM
Post #47

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(psjm1 @ Jul 26th 2006, 8:11 PM) *
First, I recommend that we start a word of mouth campaign to tell as many people as possible about SG-1 and Atlantis. Talk to your neighbors, friends, family, co-workers, heck you can talk to complete strangers for all I care; just tell as many people as you can about Stargate and tell them when it airs and that it airs on SciFi.
If they are not fans, how many of them do you think will actually care that Sci-Fi are reorganising their schedule resulting in Stargate getting pushed back in the US?
+Quote Post
psjm1
post Jul 26th 2006, 2:24 PM
Post #48

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,475

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jul 26th 2006, 1:16 PM) *

If they are not fans, how many of them do you think will actually care that Sci-Fi are reorganising their schedule resulting in Stargate getting pushed back in the US?

They don't have to care about the schedule, I just want to get more people to watch the show for whatever reason. My main concern is saving the shows (which may not be in danger...no one really knows) all I know is that more ratings=less chances of SciFi canceling the shows. So to answer your question, I am not planning on people being concerned about SG-1 or Atlantis, I just want them to start watching the shows and who know maybe some of them will get hooked!?
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 26th 2014 - 1:58 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.