Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> News Info

You can always read the latest 20 news stories at: www.sg1archive.com/news

Tip: Receive the latest Stargate news via email by subscribing to this forum.

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sci Fi to Delay Second Half of Stargate Series?, News from Comic Con
Arcady
post Jul 24th 2006, 12:30 AM
Post #1

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

According to reports coming out of Comic Con, the Sci Fi Channel has plans to delay the second half of the season of both Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis until March of 2007. In the past, the second half of each series has returned in early January and finished its run in late March. Sci Fi Channel Executive Vice President of Original Programming Mark Stern has stated that they are making the schedule change to accommodate year-round programming. (Battlestar Galactica is slated to begin its third season in October and end in March.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Arcady
post Jul 24th 2006, 12:31 AM
Post #2

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Here is some more information related to the news above:

This news has not been confirmed by Sci Fi programming at this time, so it may still change, but since it came from the VP of programming at Sci Fi, it should be pretty accurate.

If they do delay the shows until March, that means that both UK and Canadian viewers will probably finish both series before the US even returns from the break.

If they return in March, they won't finish until the end of June or early July. If we get a season 11 and a season 4 of the two shows, then there would be virtually no break between seasons, assuming they keep the July premiere dates.

I'll provide more information as it surfaces.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jul 24th 2006, 3:24 AM
Post #3

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

Damn, that sucks for the US. Doesn't that mean that there will be a gap of around 7 months between the two halves?
It looks to me like Sci-Fi is making Galactica it's premiere show and everything else is getting planned around it. Could it be that the production of Galactica is being rearranged so that the new season of it premieres in July but Stargate gets pushed back to October?
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jul 24th 2006, 4:44 AM
Post #4

Major General
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,622

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jul 24th 2006, 11:24 AM) *

Damn, that sucks for the US. Doesn't that mean that there will be a gap of around 7 months between the two halves?
It looks to me like Sci-Fi is making Galactica it's premiere show and everything else is getting planned around it. Could it be that the production of Galactica is being rearranged so that the new season of it premieres in July but Stargate gets pushed back to October?

This appears to be their plan. It makes sense that half of Galactica's season will be intended to air from July next year, and the other half in January, as SG-1 would take its place in the calendar: October and March. So, SG-1 will air at the same time for all US, UK and Canada, but will finish first in the UK and Canada.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Jul 24th 2006, 5:08 AM
Post #5

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

Okay, I live in the US, and this just sucks bigtime. It was bad enough that we had to wait until January, now we have to wait until March. I don't understand why they can't just show the show right through. Last year they had all 3 shows on. At 8:00 p.m. we had SG1, at 9:00 p.m. we had Atlantis and at 10:00 p.m. they showed BSG. Why can't they do that again?

I think they just want to have that time off so that they can show their own original movies, which stink to high heaven. But I agree they seem to have put all their marbles in the BSG bag. mad.gif
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jul 24th 2006, 5:33 AM
Post #6

Major General
Group Icon

What are they trying to do probably is give Galactica a prime time audience. People would often watch SG-1 and Atlantis and just forget about Galactica... Now, Galactica will soon have a spin-off, if what I heard is right, and deserves the 8 PM and 9 PM slot too, and since Stargate will also may have another spin-off soon, the series should go separate ways.

Anyway, I don't live there, so I may not understand this properly, but switching the season airing data between Galactica and Stargate would make no sense, plus that Galactica will be shown right through this season, while there will be a 6 month gap between the halves of Stargate.
+Quote Post
Ancient Kane
post Jul 24th 2006, 6:29 AM
Post #7

Unregistered

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Jul 24th 2006, 5:08 AM) *

Okay, I live in the US, and this just sucks bigtime. It was bad enough that we had to wait until January, now we have to wait until March. I don't understand why they can't just show the show right through. Last year they had all 3 shows on. At 8:00 p.m. we had SG1, at 9:00 p.m. we had Atlantis and at 10:00 p.m. they showed BSG. Why can't they do that again?

I think they just want to have that time off so that they can show their own original movies, which stink to high heaven. But I agree they seem to have put all their marbles in the BSG bag. mad.gif

Thats what they do in the UK they show all 3 at those times. Doesnt make much difference to me though i will just download whenever the episode is released. (That way theres no adverts)
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jul 24th 2006, 6:40 AM
Post #8

Major General
Group Icon

I know it is not my business to say this, but please don't discuss downloading on this site. It seems that where and how you're getting to see your episodes is your business and your business alone.
+Quote Post
Osy
post Jul 24th 2006, 6:41 AM
Post #9

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,065

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Jul 24th 2006, 6:33 AM) *

What are they trying to do probably is give Galactica a prime time audience. People would often watch SG-1 and Atlantis and just forget about Galactica... Now, Galactica will soon have a spin-off, if what I heard is right, and deserves the 8 PM and 9 PM slot too, and since Stargate will also may have another spin-off soon, the series should go separate ways.

Anyway, I don't live there, so I may not understand this properly, but switching the season airing data between Galactica and Stargate would make no sense, plus that Galactica will be shown right through this season, while there will be a 6 month gap between the halves of Stargate.

What are they, f***ing retarded?! Why don't they just air Galactica and it's spin-off on a different night? What is the idiotic point of competing all 3-5 shows all on a Friday night? Does anyone working at that network have any brains? mad.gif A 7 month mid-season break? That's over half a year to find out what the hell happens the rest of the season! That's insanity! Oh, I am not happy about this. Not happy about this AT ALL! mad2.gif
+Quote Post
Auntie Em!
post Jul 24th 2006, 8:13 AM
Post #10

Sipping on fine wine!
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,565

BSG is already moved to Tuesdays from its Friday slot so this does not make any sense. Why not finish the season and than just start S11 in October rather than have a 7 month hiatus.

We should all email SciFi. I think I will over and over. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Ancient Kane
post Jul 24th 2006, 8:17 AM
Post #11

Unregistered

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Jul 24th 2006, 6:40 AM) *

I know it is not my business to say this, but please don't discuss downloading on this site. It seems that where and how you're getting to see your episodes is your business and your business alone.

I was just saying this way you dont have to worry about when the episodes are relseased in your own country because you can get them when they are first released globally. Sorry if i upset you.
+Quote Post
Auntie Em!
post Jul 24th 2006, 8:38 AM
Post #12

Sipping on fine wine!
Group Icon

Kane it is a matter of Arcady getting charged in Federal court for promoting Downloading which is illegal. That is why the rule about not discussing it exist. So Arcady does not get charged.
+Quote Post
Saffron
post Jul 24th 2006, 8:42 AM
Post #13

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,472

QUOTE(Osy @ Jul 24th 2006, 6:41 AM) *

What are they, f***ing retarded?!

Yes, I think they are. Obviously, since they continually make those godawful "Original" movies and expect people to watch them.

If this does come down as fact then they will definitely be getting a letter from me.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Jul 24th 2006, 9:05 AM
Post #14

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Auntie Em! @ Jul 24th 2006, 8:13 AM) *

BSG is already moved to Tuesdays from its Friday slot so this does not make any sense. Why not finish the season and than just start S11 in October rather than have a 7 month hiatus.

We should all email SciFi. I think I will over and over. smile.gif

I agree, I do believe we should begin bombarding them with emails.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jul 24th 2006, 9:23 AM
Post #15

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

Okay...... why?? It probably is so the second half of the seasons can continue at the same time as galactica maybe?? Or they just think sg-1s viewers could be boosted by being alongside galactica?? Or the other way round. I do think it is rediculous though, why just not show the season together? I always found it odd that they took a 4 month gap in the middle of running episodes, now they want it to be longer?? It's a season of a show, they're supposed to show the new season as a series of episodes (maybe that's why over here they're called series's) splitting them up always seemed bad to me. I prefere our way of just showing all the episodes togather in one long go, and having to wait 6 months for the new series. It's better that way imo and you just get the new series. Makes so much more sence. But having a 6 month hiatus??
(Not promoting it or saying anyone here does it but...) They do realise people download don't they?? It can affect viewers. And that's why RDD I think it is...(galactica(new) creator) said that he didn't like the fact that the first series was premiered in England because the fact that people would download and it would affect viewers stateside, which is where it matters whether it gets renewed or not. And it could affect stargate viewers, if you tell people to wait 7 months to see the second half of a season you start showing people might find other ways of seeing it. Especially with the fact that Britain and Canada will get them up to 3 months earlier. It's a stupid game to play imo and there can be backfiring posibilities of it.

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Jul 24th 2006, 3:05 PM) *

I agree, I do believe we should begin bombarding them with emails.

Why not, it worked with the shortening of the credits. And this is something bigger then that, so why not?

Sorry, that's my rant... biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Jul 24th 2006, 9:27 AM
+Quote Post
Janos
post Jul 24th 2006, 9:35 AM
Post #16

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,403

Well, this is some happy horseshit. mad.gif

I agree with what IP said, and it makes me worry. If this is going to happen, we could see the ratings take a big dump on the latter half of season 10. And because of some collassally stupid decision at SciFi, the big wigs are going to see that this show "Stargate" has a budget that far exceeds the returns on it. Since we're going season to season now, that drop in ratings could be the Death Knell for the series. I sure hope to god that there's some moderately intelligent people who can put 2 and 2 together to figure out that the ratings went down for a reason. But that might be putting too much faith in the entertainment industry.

Auntie's right though, sending lots of emails is really the way to go. When I worked as an internet technician in college, I got a weekly report of the calls made to the tech support. The ones that called every day got stuff done and were off the report in a week or two at the most. The ones that called weekly kept showing up on the report for months at a time.

Patience doesn't work. Making damned sure that everyone knows you're pissed off about it actually accomplishes stuff.
+Quote Post
mithwriter
post Jul 24th 2006, 11:52 AM
Post #17

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 885

If Scifi tries to broadcast first-run eps during any day but Friday or Saturday from March forward they're probably going to get their asses kicked, ratings-wise. They're going to try going head-to-head with major network Sweeps Months, which is when the repeats end the new eps begin so the networks can get their advertising rates increased.

What is truly amazing, when you think about it, is how just a few short years ago Farscape was cancelled because SciFi's budget couldn't support that show and SG-1 at the same time.

My how things have changed. Maybe those crappy movies are making money somehow and lining SciFi's pocket? Wouldn;t that be ironic.

This post has been edited by mithwriter: Jul 24th 2006, 3:31 PM
+Quote Post
joeyann
post Jul 24th 2006, 11:58 AM
Post #18

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,973

well that sucks!!!!!! mad.gif
thats really bad for you lot in the US!!!!!!!! i would email them loads and say 'THAT THIS ISNT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!' mad2.gif

grrr i'll get angry on your behalf!!! biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Major Gordon Sumner
post Jul 24th 2006, 3:25 PM
Post #19

Airman Basic

Member No.: 11,699

That going to kill any season 11 for sure... What a pity...

Arcady, if the news become official, would you do a section for people to mail to Sci-fi ?
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jul 24th 2006, 3:44 PM
Post #20

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Major Gordon Sumner @ Jul 24th 2006, 9:25 PM) *

That going to kill any season 11 for sure... What a pity...

Arcady, if the news become official, would you do a section for people to mail to Sci-fi ?

Nah I'm sure someone else will provide a link, feedback@scifi.com for instance would be an email that people could possibly link. But I guess we'll have to wait and see...
+Quote Post
Auntie Em!
post Jul 24th 2006, 4:49 PM
Post #21

Sipping on fine wine!
Group Icon

Linky to email SciFi

I have started emailing them. I emailed the programming area of SciFi.

+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jul 24th 2006, 5:36 PM
Post #22

Major General
Group Icon

I'll do it too, Auntie, if this would save any possible Season 11 or 12. No matter if I don't live over there.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Jul 24th 2006, 5:39 PM
Post #23

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Auntie Em! @ Jul 24th 2006, 4:49 PM) *

Linky to email SciFi

I have started emailing them. I emailed the programming area of SciFi.

Auntie, I was just going to provide the link. I already sent off an email to the programming. I reminded them that they tried to take the opening credits away and how upset fans got, and that this is worst. I will be emailing them everyday. It's as if they are trying to derail both SG1 and Atlantis, which I don't understand. SG! brings them respect and status because it's been on for 10 years. Now Atlantis is following in those footsteps, as is BSG. Their own original movies are for the pits.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Jul 24th 2006, 6:00 PM
Post #24

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

I will be emailing them as well. Most days, because I know how bad it is. Something really needs to be done. I mean why aren't they just taking a galactica mid-season break instead and showing sg when the second half of that would show. And then when sg finished resume galactica as normal?? It would keep in their 'year round programming' and would keep all the fans happy. It makes no sence that they switch like this. I will be emailing in for this reason.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 24th 2014 - 4:29 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.