Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate SG-1: General Discussion

This area is for general discussion of Stargate SG-1 only. SG-1 spoilers belong in the Spoilers & Speculation section. There are separate categories for Stargate Atlantis Discussion and Stargate Universe Discussion. Complete forum rules are available here.

SG-1 Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question about staff weaons
Jonathan O'neill
post Apr 6th 2009, 11:22 PM
Post #49

Civilian
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,825

well they usually do but im not very good at it, i'll try better the next time. biggrin.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Apr 7th 2009, 1:50 AM
Post #50

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

QUOTE(Jonathan O'neill @ Apr 6th 2009, 7:39 PM) *

The SG teams do not aim their bullets, they simply just shoot all over them, And its not all over their body there
is a big metal armor some places there holes where there is chain mail. Which would be a good place to shoot,
but they dont,
they just shoot at their stomaches and so one...

Then surely that shows SG1 aim at the Jaffas' stomachs?

the SG teams in the start used MP5's but now they use P90's which shoots sharp ammo (don't know what they call it in England/USA im not english or from the usa.) and the standard P90 bullet would be able to penetrate their armor,
They use armour piercing rounds now. They pretty uch used tem from episode 2. We saw in 'Children of the Gods' that a Jaffa's armour could defend against standard rounds but after episode 1, Jaffa were easily killed (and P-90s weren't used until around season 4).

when jackson takes of the helmet of one of the Horus guards they understand that the person is not supernatural, but just like them with a ugly parasite inside of them.
In the movie, Ra's guards were Human. There were no Jaffa. The movie was written by different people and Stargate SG-1 was just based on the movie.
+Quote Post
Jonathan O'neill
post Apr 7th 2009, 6:30 AM
Post #51

Civilian
Group Icon

Jaffa/Human didn't ever see the diffrence in them
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Apr 7th 2009, 9:58 AM
Post #52

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(Jonathan O'neill @ Apr 7th 2009, 4:30 AM) *

Jaffa/Human didn't ever see the diffrence in them

From 'Children of the Gods', when Teal'c called one of them "HUMAN!" they establised that the Jaffa were not Human. They are very similar, but have some differences. For instance, Jaffa do not sleep...
+Quote Post
Jonathan O'neill
post Apr 7th 2009, 1:38 PM
Post #53

Civilian
Group Icon

Ah, ok never really seen the pilot more than once.
+Quote Post
Reyvin_Vinnex
post Aug 10th 2009, 12:42 PM
Post #54

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 18,278

I don't think I ever saw the full pilot. If I'm not mistaken, it was originally broadcast as a two-hour episode. I only ever saw it on SciFi (now idiotically renamed SyFy by some five-year-old in a cubicle), but I've heard quotes from the pilot, such as Carter explaining that naquadah was an exotic variety of quartz, but I never saw those scenes. I'll see them when I get the re-vamp DVD.
+Quote Post
Abaddonian
post Nov 21st 2009, 12:39 AM
Post #55

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 34,911

Jaffa are genetically engineered Humans. They do not need to sleep, have enhanced strength, birth defects such as poor eyesight are automatcally healed, they have enhanced healing abilities, they have the ability to Kel'No'Reem (partially hibernate) and they carry immature Goa'uld symbiotes in their guts. They also live for far longer (a one-hundred and thirty year old man was still able to fight effectively).

This post has been edited by Abaddonian: Nov 21st 2009, 12:41 AM
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Nov 21st 2009, 2:48 PM
Post #56

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

QUOTE(Abaddonian @ Nov 21st 2009, 8:39 AM) *

Jaffa are genetically engineered Humans. They do not need to sleep, have enhanced strength, birth defects such as poor eyesight are automatcally healed, they have enhanced healing abilities, they have the ability to Kel'No'Reem (partially hibernate) and they carry immature Goa'uld symbiotes in their guts. They also live for far longer (a one-hundred and thirty year old man was still able to fight effectively).

No, I think that would be going too far. Jaffa are not genetically engineered humans, they are humans who had the misfortune to live on planets controlled by Goa'uld, and that use the human population as slaves, either making them Jaffa (by growing their symbionts inside them), or Goa'uld.

All the enhancements their body have are due to the Goa'uld symbiont's amazing protective properties.

Welcome to the forums. Enjoy your stay here, and remember to question everything. wink.gif

This post has been edited by KillerMarv: Nov 21st 2009, 2:56 PM
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post Nov 21st 2009, 3:45 PM
Post #57

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,463

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Nov 21st 2009, 11:48 AM) *

No, I think that would be going too far. Jaffa are not genetically engineered humans, they are humans who had the misfortune to live on planets controlled by Goa'uld, and that use the human population as slaves, either making them Jaffa (by growing their symbionts inside them), or Goa'uld.

All the enhancements their body have are due to the Goa'uld symbiont's amazing protective properties.

Welcome to the forums. Enjoy your stay here, and remember to question everything. wink.gif

Actually, Marv, they did state in the series that the Jaffa were designed to be incubators. I know, give ya the episode, yadda yadda... I'm feeling a bit lazy today, but they have continually alluded to the fact that Jaffa were changed from their human ancestry a long time ago. So, it could be said they were genetically engineered. They are different than just human, simply because if they are not implanted by a certain age, they will die.

+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 21st 2009, 8:10 PM
Post #58

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Shylodog @ Nov 21st 2009, 12:45 PM) *

Actually, Marv, they did state in the series that the Jaffa were designed to be incubators. I know, give ya the episode, yadda yadda... I'm feeling a bit lazy today, but they have continually alluded to the fact that Jaffa were changed from their human ancestry a long time ago. So, it could be said they were genetically engineered. They are different than just human, simply because if they are not implanted by a certain age, they will die.

That not implanted by a certain age is untrue. The Jaffa don't need to be implanted, Tealc's son needed to be implanted because he happened to be terminally ill.

Jack was turned into a Jaffa with a machine that the queen chick (whose name I can't remember) wore around her stomach. Just a regular human, with a symbiote pouch.
+Quote Post
Dave312
post Nov 21st 2009, 8:23 PM
Post #59

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,343

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Nov 22nd 2009, 12:10 PM) *

That not implanted by a certain age is untrue. The Jaffa don't need to be implanted, Tealc's son needed to be implanted because he happened to be terminally ill.

Jack was turned into a Jaffa with a machine that the queen chick (whose name I can't remember) wore around her stomach. Just a regular human, with a symbiote pouch.

Well from that episode you are correct, however if you look at the episode season 7, Birthright, those female Jaffa were required to have one implanted or they would die, regardless of whether they were terminally ill.

The chick you are thinking of is Hathor.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Nov 22nd 2009, 2:25 AM
Post #60

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

Yes, a few Jaffa populations had their DNA modified because some Goa'uld who liked to experiment a lot thought about it so they can be kept in line, but it is still a bit far from generalization. The majority of Jaffa population were kept in line through fear and conviction.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Nov 22nd 2009, 12:52 PM
Post #61

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

Killer and JT are correct. Rya'c, Teal'c's son had reached the age for implantation, but Teal'c wanted to stop it. He didn't want his son to be a slave to the Goa'uld. SG1 went through to secure a symbiote, but Rya'c needed one because he became ill. When one wasn't available, Teal'c gave his symbiote to his son to save his life. Daniel and Sam had found one, but it was very young, and they were not sure it would survive in Teal'c and heal him, but, of course, it did.

Nerritti was the very worst Goa'uld that liked to experiment on human hosts to find the best one. She experimented on Cassandra's planet and everyone died. Later on she experimented on a planet, during season 6, with Jonas, and she was impressed with his physicality.

As far as the female Jaffa, according to the episode, it becae necessary when a female entered puberty, changed. I'm assuming it had something to do with them finally being able to have children.
+Quote Post
Dave312
post Nov 22nd 2009, 7:27 PM
Post #62

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Nov 23rd 2009, 4:52 AM) *

As far as the female Jaffa, according to the episode, it becae necessary when a female entered puberty, changed. I'm assuming it had something to do with them finally being able to have children.

I believe Rya'c was also entering puberty when he had his implanted. I think the general idea was that all Jaffa were required to have one implanted when entering puberty or else they would die. For Rya'c though, Teal'c wanted to try and stop it but because he was sick anyway, he didn't have a choice. I was under the impression that if Rya'c was not sick and they did not implant him, he would have died anyway.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Nov 23rd 2009, 3:03 AM
Post #63

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dave312 @ Nov 22nd 2009, 7:27 PM) *

I believe Rya'c was also entering puberty when he had his implanted. I think the general idea was that all Jaffa were required to have one implanted when entering puberty or else they would die. For Rya'c though, Teal'c wanted to try and stop it but because he was sick anyway, he didn't have a choice. I was under the impression that if Rya'c was not sick and they did not implant him, he would have died anyway.

I don't think so. Teal'c's wife wanted the implantation because of how they had been treated. She felt it would have protected Rya'c and given him some standing because of his Shol'va father.
+Quote Post
Dave312
post Nov 23rd 2009, 3:32 AM
Post #64

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Nov 23rd 2009, 7:03 PM) *

I don't think so. Teal'c's wife wanted the implantation because of how they had been treated. She felt it would have protected Rya'c and given him some standing because of his Shol'va father.

Sounds like we will just have to agree to disagree smile.gif
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Nov 23rd 2009, 1:08 PM
Post #65

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dave312 @ Nov 23rd 2009, 3:32 AM) *

That works for me. smile.gif
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 23rd 2009, 3:40 PM
Post #66

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dave312 @ Nov 23rd 2009, 12:32 AM) *

Agree to disagree is something you do when no one is clearly correct...
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Nov 23rd 2009, 4:26 PM
Post #67

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,340

QUOTE(Dave312 @ Nov 23rd 2009, 12:27 AM) *
Teal'c did not know that Ry'ac was ill before he arrived on Chulak. O'Neill saw that he had yellow fever and tried to help him. They tried to get him back to Earth but didnt have time and so Teal'c had to give Ry'ac his symbiote. Ry'ac would have died if he did not have Teal'c's symbiote but would not have if he wasnt ill, shown but Teal'c apologising to Ry'ac.
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post Nov 23rd 2009, 6:50 PM
Post #68

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Nov 23rd 2009, 1:26 PM) *

Teal'c did not know that Ry'ac was ill before he arrived on Chulak. O'Neill saw that he had yellow fever and tried to help him. They tried to get him back to Earth but didnt have time and so Teal'c had to give Ry'ac his symbiote. Ry'ac would have died if he did not have Teal'c's symbiote but would not have if he wasnt ill, shown but Teal'c apologising to Ry'ac.

Ok, but again, when we are introduced to the female Jaffa, they specifically state they will die unless a symbiote is procured. While what you are saying may have been the intent of TPTB in regards to Ry'ac, they changed the canon to suit the storylne with with female Jaffa. From that point on, it is ok to assume that the Jaffa are genetically engineered, just as it is ok not to (based upon the information in the same season that three zat strikes disintegrates objects).

And in this case, I would agree that the waters are muddy enough that folks can agree to disagree. wink.gif
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 23rd 2009, 8:34 PM
Post #69

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Shylodog @ Nov 23rd 2009, 3:50 PM) *

Ok, but again, when we are introduced to the female Jaffa, they specifically state they will die unless a symbiote is procured. While what you are saying may have been the intent of TPTB in regards to Ry'ac, they changed the canon to suit the storylne with with female Jaffa. From that point on, it is ok to assume that the Jaffa are genetically engineered, just as it is ok not to (based upon the information in the same season that three zat strikes disintegrates objects).

And in this case, I would agree that the waters are muddy enough that folks can agree to disagree. wink.gif

Carter specifically says, "these children have been genetically altered to depend on symbiotes and then had all access to them taken away..." This was after she also learned that 30 years ago, their Goa'uld decreed that only male children could be allowed to live. He then put in laws to make sure that female Jaffa were killed. Its also said in that episode that the Jaffa are brainwashed to to believe that they will be weaker if they give up their symbiotes.

I think you're mis-applying the specifics of their individual situation to all Jaffa accross the board.
+Quote Post
Dave312
post Nov 23rd 2009, 10:14 PM
Post #70

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Nov 24th 2009, 12:34 PM) *

Carter specifically says, "these children have been genetically altered to depend on symbiotes and then had all access to them taken away..."

I took "these children" as being Jaffa in general.

Its also said in that episode that the Jaffa are brainwashed to to believe that they will be weaker if they give up their symbiotes.

Giving up your symbiote after already being implanted is different. We know the symbiote replaces their Immune System and hence if it is removed, they no longer have one.

I think you're mis-applying the specifics of their individual situation to all Jaffa accross the board.

That's where I disagree. It seems very odd that a Goa'uld would genetically alter a group of Jaffa just to to go through and kill all the females at birth dry.gif. It seems more likely that all the Jaffa were genetically altered require a symbiote when they reach puberty. It would increase all of the Jaffa's reliability on the Goa'uld. Otherwise what is to stop people refusing to have one implanted?

If you look at the Sodan, they stopped serving the Goa'uld a long time ago, yet they still carry symbiotes. It would seem likely that this is only because they are forced to or they will die.
+Quote Post
Shylodog
post Nov 24th 2009, 1:27 AM
Post #71

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Nov 23rd 2009, 5:34 PM) *

Carter specifically says, "these children have been genetically altered to depend on symbiotes and then had all access to them taken away..." This was after she also learned that 30 years ago, their Goa'uld decreed that only male children could be allowed to live. He then put in laws to make sure that female Jaffa were killed. Its also said in that episode that the Jaffa are brainwashed to to believe that they will be weaker if they give up their symbiotes.

What I'm saying, is that while I may be mis-applying the specifics to you, there are more than enough fans out there that agree with my position to make my belief just as right as yours.

The episode with Ry'ac was confusing enough that even the writers jumped on board with the genetic manipulation idea. I'm not going to say ALL Jaffa are genetically engineered, but I don't think it's wrong to assume they are, either. It's something that has never been specifically laid out in canon, so it's completely open to interpretation and imagination.

+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 24th 2009, 2:10 AM
Post #72

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dave312 @ Nov 23rd 2009, 7:14 PM) *

I took "these children" as being Jaffa in general.

I would think that 7 years into the whole stargate thing, they would know if all Jaffa were built that way. I think Carter pointed it our specifically because it was different.

Giving up your symbiote after already being implanted is different. We know the symbiote replaces their Immune System and hence if it is removed, they no longer have one.
If you Wok at the Sodan, they stopped serving the Goa'uld a long time ago, yet they still carry symbiotes. It would seem likely that this is only because they are forced to or they will die.

It's not giving up your symbiote in favory of death. It's giving it up in favor of dritonon (sp?) This wasn't an option of the Sodan, so of course they still carried symbiotes. Choosing to take a symbiote in the first place and giving it up after you've already decided to do so are two different scenarios.

But in that episode, that go over the fact that they believe that giving up a symbiote is giving up a certain level of power. A fact that comes up a few times in the show and Teal'c debunks.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 28th 2014 - 10:28 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.