Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate SG-1: General Discussion

This area is for general discussion of Stargate SG-1 only. SG-1 spoilers belong in the Spoilers & Speculation section. There are separate categories for Stargate Atlantis Discussion and Stargate Universe Discussion. Complete forum rules are available here.

SG-1 Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question about staff weaons
Reyvin_Vinnex
post Aug 1st 2008, 11:13 AM
Post #25

Airman
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,278

Actually he was talking about SGC issue metal armor, the kind you'd use to stop bullets kevlar couldn't. All he said about kevlar is that it offers no protection. I have a detail-oriented memory; I remember specifics more than the big picture. Watch that episode. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but that's what I remember. That and I doubt kevlar could be that good of an insulator or that it could withstand the heat of a "foucused plasma LASER", as Sam described the Staff Weapon in "Cold Lazarus". If you know any one single thing at all about plasma, it'd be that it's unimaginably hot! I seriously doubt any kind of plastic could face plasmatic temperatures without vaporizing instantaniously.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
AJL²
post Aug 2nd 2008, 8:45 AM
Post #26

Airman Basic

Member No.: 13,551

"LEE: Kevlar will not stop the energy from a staff weapon. And the armor plating and other bullet proof protection gets super heated from the plasma so while it would stop the penetration, the wearer is essentially trapped in what becomes their own personal microwave oven ... and ... you know ... not a good idea ... anyways ... what we've been working on is this ceramic polymer which will resist the heat, stop the blast and fits into a standard SG vest."
+Quote Post
Reyvin_Vinnex
post Aug 2nd 2008, 12:18 PM
Post #27

Airman
Group Icon

God bless you, my freind!
+Quote Post
Revan
post Aug 2nd 2008, 3:49 PM
Post #28

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(Reyvin_Vinnex @ Aug 2nd 2008, 1:18 PM) *

Watch the spamming.

We don't know of what material Jaffa armor is made. All we know is it looks like they wear some sort of chain link mail and metal armor suit. TPTB can make it whatever they want. Given the goa'uld are advanced and militant, I would expect them to dress their armies in something protective, and not just decorative.

It is also possible that the goa'uld don't in any way care what happens to their men, in which case, who knows what the jaffa wear...
+Quote Post
Janos
post Aug 2nd 2008, 6:43 PM
Post #29

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,403

QUOTE(Reyvin_Vinnex @ Aug 2nd 2008, 11:18 AM) *

May Satan curse you, my person I don't really know!

Does someone really need a blessing after posting a quote from Stargate? I think I'd be a saint by now.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Aug 2nd 2008, 9:33 PM
Post #30

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(Janos @ Aug 2nd 2008, 7:43 PM) *

May Satan curse you, my person I don't really know!

Does someone really need a blessing after posting a quote from Stargate? I think I'd be a saint by now.

There is a waiting period.

Being declared a Saint by The Church means a person always was a Saint.
+Quote Post
AJL²
post Aug 3rd 2008, 1:48 AM
Post #31

Airman Basic

Member No.: 13,551

I think the Jaffa Armor like the Staff Weapon is made for dealing with the human slaves.
(Protect against their primitive weapons like bows and arrows and such...) And maybe in
goauld wars its meant to be like the "Storm Trooper" armor (It ensures that there will be
no injured soldiers who would bind valuable manpower...)
+Quote Post
Dave312
post Aug 3rd 2008, 3:10 AM
Post #32

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,343

QUOTE(AJL² @ Aug 3rd 2008, 4:48 PM) *

I think the Jaffa Armor like the Staff Weapon is made for dealing with the human slaves.
(Protect against their primitive weapons like bows and arrows and such...) And maybe in
goauld wars its meant to be like the "Storm Trooper" armor (It ensures that there will be
no injured soldiers who would bind valuable manpower...)

Remember that the Jaffa are the incubators of the Goa'uld young. Those Jaffa that become injured during battle are able to be healed by the symbiote (as long as there isn't too much damage). Also remember that the Goa'uld would want their young to survive and eventually take a host.

O'neill described the Staff Weapon perfectly:
O'NEILL: This is a weapon of terror. It's made to intimidate your enemy.

I would say that the Jaffa Armor works on a similar principal; not all that effective for defensive purposes but designed to install fear. Who wouldn't be scared of a massive guy walking covered in metal and shooting at you?
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Aug 4th 2008, 9:37 AM
Post #33

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(Dave312 @ Aug 3rd 2008, 1:10 AM) *

I would say that the Jaffa Armor works on a similar principal; not all that effective for defensive purposes but designed to install fear. Who wouldn't be scared of a massive guy walking covered in metal and shooting at you?

That's exactly what I was thinking. Think of the serpent guards, with that big helmet which prevents someone from having good mobility. It serves as intimidation.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Aug 6th 2008, 12:39 PM
Post #34

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Aug 4th 2008, 10:37 AM) *

That's exactly what I was thinking. Think of the serpent guards, with that big helmet which prevents someone from having good mobility. It serves as intimidation.

Yes, but the staff weapons, though not especially accurate or easily handled, are still quite destructive.

The goa'uld would want their soldiers to survive the battles they were sent into. They would probably create armor that offered some sort of protection beyond the ability to intimidate primitives.
+Quote Post
Dave312
post Aug 7th 2008, 3:21 AM
Post #35

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,343

QUOTE(Revan @ Aug 7th 2008, 3:39 AM) *

Yes, but the staff weapons, though not especially accurate or easily handled, are still quite destructive.

The goa'uld would want their soldiers to survive the battles they were sent into. They would probably create armor that offered some sort of protection beyond the ability to intimidate primitives.

True, but remember that the symboite can heal any minor injuries. For any major injuries then it will be out of the symboite's healing ability and any armor would not probably not have that much of an effect, no matter the quality.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Aug 7th 2008, 11:45 AM
Post #36

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dave312 @ Aug 7th 2008, 4:21 AM) *

True, but remember that the symboite can heal any minor injuries. For any major injuries then it will be out of the symboite's healing ability and any armor would not probably not have that much of an effect, no matter the quality.

Why is that relevent?

What good are the jaffa as incubators if one shot to the gut kills the symbiote? Wouldn't the armor be meant to protect the goa'uld? The main plate does sit right in front of the goa'uld pouch.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Aug 7th 2008, 11:47 AM
Post #37

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,340

QUOTE(Revan @ Aug 6th 2008, 6:39 PM) *
The armour was pretty effective though. In 'Children of the Gods', it repelled Earth ammunition. SG teams were only effective once AP ammunition was used.
+Quote Post
Reyvin_Vinnex
post Aug 11th 2008, 5:38 PM
Post #38

Airman
Group Icon

I had no idea saying "God bless you" could cause such a fuss! I was half . . . maybe three-quarters joking! I really, really hate to offend anyone . . . though I find the very concept of a proud worshipper of Satan more deeply disturbing than I could ever express . . .
+Quote Post
Revan
post Aug 11th 2008, 5:55 PM
Post #39

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(Reyvin_Vinnex @ Aug 11th 2008, 6:38 PM) *

I had no idea saying "God bless you" could cause such a fuss! I was half . . . maybe three-quarters joking! I really, really hate to offend anyone . . . though I find the very concept of a proud worshipper of Satan more deeply disturbing than I could ever express . . .

Your post lacked substance, just as this newest post does, which is what made it spam.

Your tangential rambling, though mildly interesting, has no relevence to this topic.

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Aug 7th 2008, 12:47 PM) *

The armour was pretty effective though. In 'Children of the Gods', it repelled Earth ammunition. SG teams were only effective once AP ammunition was used.

When do we learn that they weren't using armor-piercing ammo and that they started using it?
+Quote Post
Janos
post Aug 11th 2008, 6:18 PM
Post #40

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

QUOTE(Revan @ Aug 11th 2008, 4:55 PM) *

When do we learn that they weren't using armor-piercing ammo and that they started using it?

Uh... when the bullets did not pierce the armor. And then the bullets started piercing the armor. Duh?
+Quote Post
Revan
post Aug 11th 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #41

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

QUOTE(Janos @ Aug 11th 2008, 7:18 PM) *

Uh... when the bullets did not pierce the armor. And then the bullets started piercing the armor. Duh?

Given we have no idea of what material the armor is made, I don't think we can just make that assumption. Maybe the SG teams learned where to aim their bullets...

We don't know how dense that armor is. It is possible our conventional armor piercing rounds wouldn't be effective.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Aug 12th 2008, 8:14 AM
Post #42

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(Revan @ Aug 12th 2008, 4:05 AM) *

Given we have no idea of what material the armor is made, I don't think we can just make that assumption. Maybe the SG teams learned where to aim their bullets...

We don't know how dense that armor is. It is possible our conventional armor piercing rounds wouldn't be effective.

Given that apart from the first 5 minutes of the pilot, they've always been effective...I'd say they're effective. smile.gif And besides, in those 5 minutes, they pretty much hit their targets a lot.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Aug 12th 2008, 9:14 AM
Post #43

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Aug 12th 2008, 6:14 AM) *

Given that apart from the first 5 minutes of the pilot, they've always been effective...I'd say they're effective. smile.gif And besides, in those 5 minutes, they pretty much hit their targets a lot.

I'm confused. Where in the pilot did they say that they were using armor piercing bullets?
+Quote Post
Reyvin_Vinnex
post Aug 12th 2008, 9:48 AM
Post #44

Airman
Group Icon

[quote]Your tangential rambling, though mildly interesting, has no relevence to this topic.[quote]

Yeeeaaahhh, I tend to babble . . . sorry. I also have the nasty and probably unsafe habit of talking about myself! >GASP!!<

>>>>PS; I'm sorry about the fumbled quote; I screwed up

This post has been edited by Reyvin_Vinnex: Aug 12th 2008, 9:51 AM
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Aug 12th 2008, 10:09 AM
Post #45

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Aug 12th 2008, 3:14 PM) *

I'm confused. Where in the pilot did they say that they were using armor piercing bullets?

They didn't, I didn't say they did, just responded to someone who said they did. That was just pure speculation on their end of the plot inconsistency.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Aug 12th 2008, 1:16 PM
Post #46

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Aug 12th 2008, 8:09 AM) *

They didn't, I didn't say they did, just responded to someone who said they did. That was just pure speculation on their end of the plot inconsistency.

Oh OK, I missed it. Thanks. Oh so many plot inconsistencies.
+Quote Post
Jonathan O'neill
post Apr 6th 2009, 1:39 PM
Post #47

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 27,825

The SG teams do not aim their bullets, they simply just shoot all over them, And its not all over their body there
is a big metal armor some places there holes where there is chain mail. Which would be a good place to shoot,
but they dont,
they just shoot at their stomaches and so one... the SG teams in the start used MP5's but now they use P90's which shoots sharp ammo (don't know what they call it in England/USA im not english or from the usa.) and the standard P90 bullet would be able to penetrate their armor, and talking about the jaffa armor it's not so much for protection i think (though it probably does protect a bit) it's more of a show off, you see in the first stargate movie the people of Abydos thinks that the person in the armor is some kind of holy person,
when jackson takes of the helmet of one of the Horus guards they understand that the person is not supernatural, but just like them with a ugly parasite inside of them. And now back to staff weapons, the staff weapons in the first movie seems a bit powerfull (might i say more powerfull than in the series,) but then as some other bloke said it has too fit the script, in the movie they shoot at crowds of people not at one exact person, and when you see the show the weapons are less powerfull beacuse they dont want a massive explosion on a persons body that just leaves the legs at ground, so the power of the weapons depends on the script. rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
Janos
post Apr 6th 2009, 10:19 PM
Post #48

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

QUOTE(Jonathan O'neill @ Apr 6th 2009, 12:39 PM) *

(don't know what they call it in England/USA im not english or from the usa.)

Do you have punctuation where you come from?
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 23rd 2014 - 9:26 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.