Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate SG-1: General Discussion

This area is for general discussion of Stargate SG-1 only. SG-1 spoilers belong in the Spoilers & Speculation section. There are separate categories for Stargate Atlantis Discussion and Stargate Universe Discussion. Complete forum rules are available here.

SG-1 Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question about staff weaons
ParasiteDealerAlphonse
post Jul 11th 2006, 12:38 PM
Post #1

Civilian
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,925

Hi, in the episode cold lazarus teal'c and sam are talking about staff weapons and sam mentions apophiss staff weapon and in the movie Ra's jaffas staff weapon had more explosive power and the other ones dont. So does each Lord or "God" have there own version of a staff weapon?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jul 11th 2006, 12:44 PM
Post #2

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

It is likely an inconsistancy between movie and series. The amount of damage they cause in the show is altered to fit in a storyline. We have seen a Staff Weapon kill a fully armoured Jaffa in one shot and yet, most members of SG-1 have been hit by one and survived.
+Quote Post
ParasiteDealerAlphonse
post Jul 11th 2006, 12:46 PM
Post #3

Civilian
Group Icon

a simple yes or no would be good

This post has been edited by ParasiteDealerAlphonse: Jul 11th 2006, 12:47 PM
+Quote Post
Saffron
post Jul 11th 2006, 12:48 PM
Post #4

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,472

Rude much? He answered your question. unsure.gif
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jul 11th 2006, 12:49 PM
Post #5

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(ParasiteDealerAlphonse @ Jul 11th 2006, 6:46 PM) *

a simple yes or no would be good

Don't be a smartass. dry.gif No-one can give a simple yes or no because TPTB have never compared the Staff Weapons seen in the show and in the movie.
+Quote Post
ParasiteDealerAlphonse
post Jul 11th 2006, 12:51 PM
Post #6

Civilian
Group Icon

ok....thanks....jeez....

+Quote Post
Matman
post Jul 11th 2006, 12:55 PM
Post #7

where's my gameboy...
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 10,164

"Easy Fella!"

He did answer the question best that anyone could of so be nice!
+Quote Post
thefirstone
post Jul 11th 2006, 4:59 PM
Post #8

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,686

Simple answer so you can understand:

It depends on the writer really or how it would fit into the storyline.

You should be nice, Daf was nice enough to answer your question.
+Quote Post
Alosel
post Jul 12th 2006, 5:50 AM
Post #9

First Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,667

I'm sure if you've watched Stargate long enough, you'd realise there is never (usually!) a simple yes or no answer.
It must be understood that a lot of the details in the film are not Canon, such as Ra's jaffa having no pouch, Sha're having a different name, the Death Gliders being called Wudjatees (sp) etc. etc.
+Quote Post
David_ofthe_Tar'e
post Jul 12th 2006, 11:11 PM
Post #10

Major
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,996

Alphonse just as a rule of thumb don't consider anything from the movie as fact unless you see it in an actual episode. There are plenty of inconsistancies between the movie and series. It will just save you from searching for answers to questions that there arn't answers to.
+Quote Post
ChronicShit
post Jul 16th 2006, 11:37 PM
Post #11

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,014

QUOTE(Alosel @ Jul 12th 2006, 12:50 AM) *

It must be understood that a lot of the details in the film are not Canon, such as Ra's jaffa having no pouch, Sha're having a different name, the Death Gliders being called Wudjatees (sp) etc. etc.

Ra's *Jaffa* in teh movie weren't suppose to be jaffa, they were humans yes? I read somewhere on wikipedia..i think..that says that the so called jaffa in Ra's personal guard were suppose to be humans not jaffa.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jul 17th 2006, 3:31 AM
Post #12

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(ChronicShit @ Jul 17th 2006, 5:37 AM) *

Ra's *Jaffa* in teh movie weren't suppose to be jaffa, they were humans yes? I read somewhere on wikipedia..i think..that says that the so called jaffa in Ra's personal guard were suppose to be humans not jaffa.

They were. They were just Ra's Human personal guard. In subsequent movies (if they had been made) we would have seen the same with Humans named Hathor and Ptah. In th e movie, Ra was the only one of his race, all the other "Gods" were Humans.
+Quote Post
Andorian15
post Jul 17th 2006, 3:59 AM
Post #13

:)
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 8,943

Exactly, there were no jaffa. Daniel siad he was the last of his kind after translating some ruins he found on Abydos.
+Quote Post
David_ofthe_Tar'e
post Jul 17th 2006, 10:16 AM
Post #14

Major
Group Icon

I believe that this was addressed in the pilot. Jack is brought by General Hammond to inspect the Jaffa that we're killed in Apophis' raid.
Actually heres the line I'm talking about,
O'Neill: "...There were no creatures like this on Abydos. Those people were human. From Earth. Ra brought 'em there thousands of years ago."
To split hairs you could say that Jack was talking about the people of Abydos and not Ra's guard but if you had a run in with a being that had a pouch in its belly wouldn't it be something that you'd remember? Especially if it almost killed you.
+Quote Post
joeyann
post Jul 17th 2006, 10:29 AM
Post #15

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,973

QUOTE(David_ofthe_Tar'e @ Jul 17th 2006, 4:16 PM) *

I believe that this was addressed in the pilot. Jack is brought by General Hammond to inspect the Jaffa that we're killed in Apophis' raid.
Actually heres the line I'm talking about,
O'Neill: "...There were no creatures like this on Abydos. Those people were human. From Earth. Ra brought 'em there thousands of years ago."
To split hairs you could say that Jack was talking about the people of Abydos and not Ra's guard but if you had a run in with a being that had a pouch in its belly wouldn't it be something that you'd remember? Especially if it almost killed you.

i've seen the film (which is good by the way biggrin.gif ) but isnt it then that they (SG-1 ect)
in the first ep is when they see and find out about jaffa having the laval form of the 'gods' inside the pouch?
(just to make a point smile.gif )
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jul 17th 2006, 10:40 AM
Post #16

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(joeyann @ Jul 17th 2006, 4:29 PM) *
i've seen the film (which is good by the way biggrin.gif ) but isnt it then that they (SG-1 ect) in the first ep is when they see and find out about jaffa having the laval form of the 'gods' inside the pouch?
Yes, 'Children of the Gods' was the first time we saw the Goa'uld, in their larval form, and the Jaffa.
There is really no need for this discussion. Anubis, Horus and the rest of Ra's guards were not Jaffa, they were Human. The terms Jaffa and Goa'uld were coined in the show and as has been said many times, the series should not be considered a true continuation of the movie because of the huge plot holes between the two.
+Quote Post
Garret
post Jul 17th 2006, 12:18 PM
Post #17

Airman Basic

Member No.: 10,601

A few things to point out here.
one: they were human in the movie because the writers didn?t think of this until the show came on because there was no reason to have it explained like that. the way they explained it in the series was that Ra was in fact not the only "God" it was written like that on abados because Ra never left the planet and when he did it was only for a short time and distance. if I recall properly they said he hasn?t been on the planet for hundreds of years but there?s the whole space time thing which is always explained differently every time.

as for the staff weapon being different for every army there?s a reason for that. Ra's staff weapons were powerful because they rarely had to use them where?s if you looked at the other system lords army?s they are constantly at war with each other therefore they see a lot more use then Ra's therefore they deplete faster and are less powerful. A new staff can pass through an opponent and into a second one, a newly used one can kill in one hit, a moderately used staff can kill but is more likely to seriously wound, a weak staff is likely to just wound the person, and a old weak one is less lethal the a zat gun.
Hope this clears things up for ya.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jul 17th 2006, 12:25 PM
Post #18

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Garret @ Jul 17th 2006, 6:18 PM) *

A few things to point out here.
one: they were human in the movie because the writers didn?t think of this until the show came on because there was no reason to have it explained like that.
The writers of the movie and the writers of the SG-1 are two different sets of people one group has nothing to do with the other. The writers of the movie were not involved with the series and visa versa.

as for the staff weapon being different for every army there?s a reason for that. Ra's staff weapons were powerful because they rarely had to use them where?s if you looked at the other system lords army?s they are constantly at war with each other therefore they see a lot more use then Ra's therefore they deplete faster and are less powerful. A new staff can pass through an opponent and into a second one, a newly used one can kill in one hit, a moderately used staff can kill but is more likely to seriously wound, a weak staff is likely to just wound the person, and a old weak one is less lethal the a zat gun.
That makes no sense. Ra's armies would have used their weapons just as much because the Goa'uld were constantly warring with each other. Ra was the most powerful System Lord but that didn't ensure his safety. The other Goa'uld wanted what he had and would have fought wars against him.
+Quote Post
Garret
post Jul 17th 2006, 12:44 PM
Post #19

Airman Basic

Member No.: 10,601

I'm aware that the writers were two different sets of people and they had to find away to explain it so that?s what they did, explain something that didn?t make sense.

And a correction on my part. your right they were at war with each other, however the guards on abados hardly ever saw battle that?s why their weapons specifically were more powerful then say the guards that were actually fighting in the war.
+Quote Post
David_ofthe_Tar'e
post Jul 17th 2006, 12:58 PM
Post #20

Major
Group Icon

Don't attempt to form links between what happened in the movie and what we've seen in the series. Like I said there are only a handful of things we can actually accept as fact in the series that exist from the movie.

Trying to compare differences in the power of staff weapons or why Ra had a different ship or why Ra didn't have Jaffa only serve to stir up speculation. You don't have the answers, neither do I or anyone else for that matter. Unless the writers actually come out and give direct answers for questions like these all you are doing is trying to appease yourself with an answer that you can believe, but that won't be based on any fact.

And while I'm on that Daf, how can Anubis be the personal guard of Ra when this is supposedly a period in which he remains banished? I'm betting inconsistency, care to tell me something different?

This post has been edited by David_ofthe_Tar'e: Jul 17th 2006, 12:59 PM
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jul 17th 2006, 1:19 PM
Post #21

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(David_ofthe_Tar'e @ Jul 17th 2006, 6:58 PM) *
And while I'm on that Daf, how can Anubis be the personal guard of Ra when this is supposedly a period in which he remains banished? I'm betting inconsistency, care to tell me something different?
Not exactly an inconsistancy just a plot hole. In the original plan for the movie, Ra was to be the only alien that achieved a God-like status. All the other "Gods" we see in the movie are Human and if the other movies had gone ahead we would have seen more e.g. Hathor and Ptah. The idea was that Ra is the most powerful of the Egyptian Gods and so all other Gods would have been subservient to him hence why Humans took the persona of Anubis and Horus.
+Quote Post
David_ofthe_Tar'e
post Jul 17th 2006, 1:27 PM
Post #22

Major
Group Icon

Easy enough to accept, It would have made for great storylines in the series if other goa'ulds from Egyption mythology were in service to Ra.

This post has been edited by David_ofthe_Tar'e: Jul 17th 2006, 1:27 PM
+Quote Post
Reyvin_Vinnex
post Jul 31st 2008, 6:48 PM
Post #23

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 18,278

The reason the Staff weapon kills Jaffa in one shot is indirectly explained (at least in my mind) by Dr Lee in the episode "Heros". He said that metal armor turns into the wearer's sort of "own personal microwave oven". They get HOT!!!

This post has been edited by Reyvin_Vinnex: Jul 31st 2008, 6:52 PM
+Quote Post
Revan
post Aug 1st 2008, 12:04 AM
Post #24

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(Reyvin_Vinnex @ Jul 31st 2008, 7:48 PM) *

The reason the Staff weapon kills Jaffa in one shot is indirectly explained (at least in my mind) by Dr Lee in the episode "Heros". He said that metal armor turns into the wearer's sort of "own personal microwave oven". They get HOT!!!

He was talking about the kevlar vests worn by human military forces.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 24th 2014 - 2:41 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.