> Stargate HD Broadcasts in the US?
smileyscout
post Jun 27th 2006, 9:28 AM
Post #1

Civilian
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,939

After googling around for a while it appears there isn't any way of getting HD Stargate SG1 or Atlantis in the United States. Canada has a few channels with HD Stargate (Movie Central HD and CITY-TV) but it appears the US has nothing. Is this true or am I just missing something obvious? It would be really annoying if there is no way of getting HD Stargate since Atlantis has been filmed in HD since it started and SG1 has been HD since season 8.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SyStEm_LoRd
post Jun 27th 2006, 9:58 AM
Post #2

Major
Group Icon

Member No.: 552

i only download them have been for years i have never noticed a HD tvrip from any were but cananda channels.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jun 27th 2006, 10:04 AM
Post #3

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

Let's get off the topic of downloading please. Arcady has asked us not to discuss it on this site. If you want to talk about it, please use e-mails.
+Quote Post
Matman
post Jun 27th 2006, 12:36 PM
Post #4

where's my gameboy...
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 10,164

I dont know anything about it being in HD on tv but on the back of the new slim cased dvds it says its in HD.
+Quote Post
SyStEm_LoRd
post Jun 27th 2006, 1:16 PM
Post #5

Major
Group Icon

is there anything new on the collector tin dvd boxsets? like is it worth buying them other then having cool tins instead of plain old box sets? also, my bad wont mention that bad word again!!!
+Quote Post
Auntie Em!
post Jun 27th 2006, 7:02 PM
Post #6

Sipping on fine wine!
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,565

System Lord this is about HD tv not boxsets. There are a few threads on the boxsets.

YEA for Canada having HDTV! smile.gif

Does regular TV play HDTV or do you have to have a HDTV se?
+Quote Post
ha'tak
post Jun 27th 2006, 7:47 PM
Post #7

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,229

QUOTE(Auntie Em! @ Jun 27th 2006, 7:02 PM) *

YEA for Canada having HDTV! smile.gif

Does regular TV play HDTV or do you have to have a HDTV se?

Yes Auntie you have to have a HD capeable television to see HDTV.

And for the DVD's those have been in HD since both Stargates converted over to Digital Film. Hense the sharpness of the picture.

And I somewhat certain that Sci-Fi Broadcasts it in HD. I know for a fact that Canada does it but I think the only one that doesnt do it is Syndication television.
+Quote Post
CluckChicken
post Jun 27th 2006, 9:19 PM
Post #8

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,974

QUOTE(ha'tak @ Jun 27th 2006, 8:47 PM) *

And for the DVD's those have been in HD since both Stargates converted over to Digital Film. Hense the sharpness of the picture.

And I somewhat certain that Sci-Fi Broadcasts it in HD. I know for a fact that Canada does it but I think the only one that doesnt do it is Syndication television.

Digital film does not equal HD it only refers to the media that stores the recordings. I don't see anything that says that have switched to filming in HD. The DVDs also do not have the capability to store HD recordings, they max out at ED (480p). A station maybe broadcasting in HD but that does not mean the show is in HD, it just means that you need an HD receiver to receive the signal.
+Quote Post
Auntie Em!
post Jun 27th 2006, 9:23 PM
Post #9

Sipping on fine wine!
Group Icon

They have Cluck. Although they do not like to use it for direct sunlight shoots. They said they switched to HD in one of the commentaries for S7 or 8 I think it was.

You can tell the difference with the sharpness. Although, they also said they have to counter that by altering it in post production sometimes.
+Quote Post
Ori
post Jun 27th 2006, 9:40 PM
Post #10

Where am I? Who Am I?
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,645

QUOTE(ha'tak @ Jun 27th 2006, 8:47 PM) *

Yes Auntie you have to have a HD capeable television to see HDTV.

My parents have DirecTV and I have Comcast cable and the SciFi channels on both don't broadcast any shows in HD. But I sure wish they did. w00t.gif
+Quote Post
smileyscout
post Jun 29th 2006, 2:04 PM
Post #11

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,939

Hmm... I really don't think that you can get HD Starate SG1 or Atlantis anywhere in the US right now. I wish Sci-Fi would make the jump to HD soon. I wonder if there is anyway to get the Canadian channels that broadcast Stargate HD on any US system. From what I read in the Wikipedia articles that doesn't seem to likely.

Canada: Space: The Imagination Station, Citytv (and starting with Season 9 in HDTV on CITY-TV, Atlantic Satellite Network, Movie Central (English); Z T?l?, TQS (French Canada)

I doubt any of those channels or affiliates have agreements with Dish Network or Directv for US usage.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jun 29th 2006, 2:33 PM
Post #12

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

Over here you still have to pay for HD-TV . Yes, Sky broadcasts some channels in HD but they are not part of the standard subscription. Personally, I don't see the benefits of HD-TV, when you compare the cost of a HD TV and then the subscription, for the very few channels that actually broadcast in HD, to the slight improvement in picture quality, it isn't worth the cost.
+Quote Post
ted_simple
post Jun 29th 2006, 4:04 PM
Post #13

SIR Ted Simple
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,194

I think it really depends on the contents whether HDTV can be an improvement. I've watched BSG in HDTV and on DVD, and I must say it didn't give me a kick to see every furrow in Adama's face in high detail. I've tried to like the HDTV material better than the DVD, but I couldn't. It totally different with SGA for me. Atlantis just looks so much better in high detail. For some reason, it adds to the atmosphere/quality of the series to watch it in HDTV. So it really depends on the individual series whether HDTV can be regarded an improvement or not.
+Quote Post
Auntie Em!
post Jun 29th 2006, 8:06 PM
Post #14

Sipping on fine wine!
Group Icon

BSG filming style itself is too rough (the way it is suppose to be) for HDTV. Stargate is good in HDTV but high lighting looks all wrong. I guess it matters on what you want to come out the other side of the filming process.

Generally the sharpness is hard to look at sometimes.
+Quote Post
SyStEm_LoRd
post Jun 30th 2006, 10:42 AM
Post #15

Major
Group Icon

i was asking about the tin boxset because i wanted to know if they were recorded for HDTV, i just bought 50inch HD plasma and the quality of the stargate dvds is not that great. i dont mind replacing my stargate dvds with HD dvds but only am going to do it if i know they are HD
+Quote Post
ted_simple
post Jul 1st 2006, 4:56 AM
Post #16

SIR Ted Simple
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,194

I don't think you can buy Stargate HD DVDs yet.
+Quote Post
Evil Otto
post Nov 9th 2006, 7:03 PM
Post #17

Civilian
Group Icon

Group: New Members
Member No.: 12,786

QUOTE(SyStEm_LoRd @ Jun 30th 2006, 10:42 AM) *

i was asking about the tin boxset because i wanted to know if they were recorded for HDTV, i just bought 50inch HD plasma and the quality of the stargate dvds is not that great. i dont mind replacing my stargate dvds with HD dvds but only am going to do it if i know they are HD

Most TV shows are currently shot with high definition cameras, with either 720 or 1080 horizontal lines of resolution. HDTVs that conform to the standard used in the USA can display HD content with either 480, 720, or 1080 lines of resolution. Standard definition content (IIRC something like 320 horizontal lines) is munged by the HDTV into a signal it can display (which is why SDTV content frequently looks like garbage on a HDTV monitor.)

DVDs can only carry 480 lines of resolution; that's what the standard is. A "Progressive Scan" DVD player puts out a 480p signal to the HDTV monitor if it's connected properly. This is why DVDs frequently look like butt on large HDTV monitors; the munging that the HDTV does is frequently less than optimal. I'd bet that if you looked at a DVD that you bought before you got your bigscreen it would look a lot worse than you remember it.

The next-generation optical disk formats (HD-DVD and BluRay) both can carry 1080p content. However, if you take a source that was mastered at 480 lines and convert it to 1080 it'll look like junk. Since content owners can potentially make money for generations as new higher quality formats come out, it makes financial sense to use the state-of-the-art when you create the content initially.

I wouldn't be in any rush to buy any HD-DVD or BluRay equipment. One format will come out on top (think Betamax vs VHS) and if you've made the wrong choice you're going to feel like an idiot. That, and while the format wars take place, the competition will drive prices down. (Unless you're Sony, in which case you say "Pay what we want you to pay and like it, be glad we're not charging you twice as much". See: PS3.)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 18th 2014 - 4:43 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.