Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate Atlantis: Spoilers & Speculation

This area is for Atlantis spoilers. There are separate categories for SG-1 Spoilers and Universe Spoilers. Complete forum rules are available here.

Atlantis Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wraith Weakness, As described in Aurora
Alosel
post Mar 25th 2006, 3:32 AM
Post #1

First Lieutenant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,667

I wasn't sure whether to put this in here or the Tech section, but this about tech, but is also speculation. Anywho.

Oh, and I did do a search biggrin.gif

Right, in Aurora it is revealed to us that the Wraith have a serious weakness in their technology which they were sending to the Council to exploit and give them a serious advantage.

In Allies, we learn that Wraith technology is Organic. Could this be the weakness?
I was thinking in Star Trek:Voyager - they have gel packs with are both organic and technological, and Neelix managed to bring the ship to a standstill by making cheese, which spread bacteria to the packs, and make them 'ill'.

Could this strategy be used against the Wraith? If the ships and technology are organic, then they may well be suseptable to biological viruses, bacteria etc. or something to that regard.

Views?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Mar 25th 2006, 8:30 AM
Post #2

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

Chances are that TPTB are just opening possible avenues for future stories. They probably havent decided what that weakness is yet and wont for a while.
+Quote Post
ALIEN_JL
post Mar 25th 2006, 9:12 AM
Post #3

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,244

Or it could be that there was no weakness... (I mean maybe Aurora's crew never found any... Maybe
Aurora's true mission had nothing to do with what those Ancients believed in the virtual reality. Maybe
that was all part of the Wraiths plot... The Wraith manipulated them to believe that they had important
information they needed to get to Atlantis so that she would get them to modify the ships hyperdrive)

And the Ancients didn't lack in fire power or defencive capability or any technological area... Some info
about some weakness in Wraith technology which would make it easier to destroy their ships wouldn't
have made any difference...
+Quote Post
GoVols
post Mar 26th 2006, 3:34 AM
Post #4

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,546

I too had that thought the other day, but disuaded my self from elaborating further on it by simply thinking that it was a waste of my time because im not a writer for this show. However seeing your post reignited my thinking, and wouldnt it be cool if we attached a microwave emmiter to our ships that could effectivly cook the Wraith ships?
+Quote Post
Alosel
post Mar 31st 2006, 9:11 AM
Post #5

First Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,667

Yes! Instead of destroying their ships, we could just 'kill' them!
+Quote Post
GoVols
post Apr 1st 2006, 5:21 PM
Post #6

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Perhaps we could build our own bio ship, and put a disease in it, something like bubonic plague or ebola. It kills fast and infects their ships, assuming they are suseptable to such measures.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Apr 1st 2006, 6:17 PM
Post #7

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(GoVols @ Apr 1st 2006, 11:21 PM) *
assuming they are suseptable to such measures.
Given that Hive ships are partly organic, they would have to be extremely resistant to anything that they could encounter. Plus the fact that they areonly partially organi would mean there is the chance the ships would survive anyway.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post May 17th 2006, 1:28 PM
Post #8

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

In ep 2x20 allies, McKay is on the wraith ship, the wraith that's with him brings up the fact the the ship being partially organic does create problems. I believe he says something about it being hard to program the ship to do new things, and its hard to bypass the systems.
+Quote Post
OneLoneFan
post May 17th 2006, 4:42 PM
Post #9

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,568

I was just thinking, what if the Wraith and the organic ship components share simular genetic markers, it would be posable to design a retro-virus that targeted those markers...by infecting the ship,you almost garentee that the virus will spread to the Wraith crew and vise versa.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post May 17th 2006, 5:37 PM
Post #10

General
Group Icon

Saying that the Wraith ships have similar DNA to the Wraith is a hell of a leap from saying their ships are partially organic. If some of the ships components are organic they would have to be extremely resilient. It is unlikely that a virus would be able to infect them.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post May 17th 2006, 5:51 PM
Post #11

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

Geee, I wonder how the Wraith would react to something that infects their ships:

WRAITH 1: We have lost many vital systems, the pathetic humans are escaping...
WRAITH 2: Why?
WRAITH 1: Our ship is sick.

OK, skiping this useless humor, I think that creating such a virus would be too hard to even consider, first of all, you would have to know what the ship's tissue is composed of.
+Quote Post
macca99
post May 17th 2006, 8:55 PM
Post #12

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,072

it was pretty obvious that the wraith ships were organis. i havent seen that episode but they look like they are.

i think that that would be a stupid weakness for them to have. they will probably end up changing them back into humans cause that what sem to be happening in the episodes ive seen, the docs and 'tists anr trying to make a retro virus etc
+Quote Post
GoVols
post May 18th 2006, 12:01 AM
Post #13

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Well we all know that the most harmfull virii are the ones that the infected organism isnt use to......

Having said that, a superrior immune system would prevent infection by disease.

I dont think we can infect these ships with a pathyogen, but i think you can use their organic makeup againgst them in some way.

I just dont know what it is...

So my point is why the hell wouldnt you try to infect it with small pox, anthrax or one of Earths otherhorrible diseases. Couldnt hurt anything, except for possibly the Wraith.
+Quote Post
ALIEN_JL
post May 18th 2006, 3:48 AM
Post #14

Captain
Group Icon

QUOTE(GoVols @ May 18th 2006, 12:01 AM) *

I just dont know what it is...
So my point is why the hell wouldnt you try to infect it with small pox, anthrax or one of Earths otherhorrible diseases. Couldnt hurt anything, except for possibly the Wraith.

If you would unleash something like that it would most likely kill all humans in pegasus
because they have never developed immunity... But the Wraiths and their ships maybe
sooo different that it couldn't infect them at all...

But in anycase this whole weakness in Wraith tech doesn't make any sense... Because
the Ancients never had any problems with destroying the Wraith ships and winning the
battles...

This post has been edited by ALIEN_JL: May 18th 2006, 3:50 AM
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post May 18th 2006, 3:50 AM
Post #15

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(GoVols @ May 18th 2006, 8:01 AM) *

It would probably cost money, and take some time to produce this infections at such a large scale (a great doze would be required), and without having the definite answer that this would result into something worth trying, it would only be a waste of resources and money... and it probably is.
+Quote Post
Andygod90
post May 31st 2006, 7:14 PM
Post #16

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,533

i always had the impression the wraith had a weakness to salt water. In 38 minutes does the iratus bug not come off sheppard due to the salt water? or did i miss something.
Also we found atlantis under water.......... maybe the ancients knew about the weakness but it was too late to exploit it

This post has been edited by Andygod90: May 31st 2006, 7:15 PM
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jun 1st 2006, 12:47 AM
Post #17

Major General
Group Icon

You mean the Wraith could probably have inherrited the salt water weakness from the Iratus bug... Kind of a nice concept, but I doubt it, and we have no idea to accept any theory.

It was said that they have a weakness in their technology. And this wasn't inserted in the program by the Wraith to make them think they have a weakness, since it was the Wraith who deleted the program, that being his initial purpose on that virtual reality.
+Quote Post
kordone
post Jun 1st 2006, 1:56 AM
Post #18

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,555

Ok I never did Chemistry in school so this might sound stupid...

but if the Wraith weakness is indeed that their Hive ships are organic based maybe a way to combat that with is something entirly different...

Example: Arsenik is extremly toxic to humans... maybe the communiqu? was about the organic design of thier Hives & that it would be very easy for the Ancients to figure out what sort of chemical metal or whatever could be toxic to the Wraith Hives organic base.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jun 1st 2006, 3:39 AM
Post #19

Major General
Group Icon

Yes, maybe you're right about Ancients figuring that out...

But after thinking a while... We know that the Ancients had the power to destroy Wraith ships, and we also know that it wasn't in their nature to exterminate them... So, after using this efficient weapon as a mechanism of defense, the Wraith would have evolved making themselves immune to this weapon after a while, and the Ancients would have been back to square one.
+Quote Post
ALIEN_JL
post Jun 1st 2006, 6:06 AM
Post #20

Captain
Group Icon

Yep... This weakness thing (if there were such) might have allowed the Ancients to defend them selfs little
better and little longer... But because the Ancients weren't willing to go after the Wraiths and put an end to
the War it wouldn't really have changed anything on long run...
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jun 1st 2006, 8:33 AM
Post #21

Major General
Group Icon

On the other hand, the Ancients have ascended and no longer give a damn about how we fare against the Wraith. This weakness could come into our advantage, since we are not like the Ancients, we could use it much the same way we used that powerful weapon against the Replicators. Hmmm, I know where I'm going with this, if the writers come up with something like this, it would be very similar to the way the Replicators have been taken out in the MW. Well, not that similar, since this would be needed to infect their ships and that the Replicators got their kiron pathways disabled biggrin.gif ... blink.gif
+Quote Post
Lancelot
post Jun 4th 2006, 12:15 PM
Post #22

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,650

if there is a weakness in there tech the ancients would have found a way to use it on all the wraith ships at
once so maybe it's some sort of radiation as we know living tissue is very susceptible too radiation
and that idea about microwaves is quite good
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jun 4th 2006, 12:25 PM
Post #23

Major General
Group Icon

The Ancients couldn't and wouldn't have used any Wraith weakness against all their ships. They had no way of doing that all at once, and also their nature would go against exterminating an entire civilization, no matter how bad it was to them. That is why any weakness they would have taken advantage of, would have eventually failed, since the Wraith would have always found a way to become immune.
+Quote Post
Rogue Ashrak
post Jun 5th 2006, 9:31 AM
Post #24

Hero of Time
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 7,502

Perhaps the weakness could have been similar in nature to the weakness the Priors have to the Anti-Prior technology? Specifically a type of radiation or sonic frequency that paralyzes all Wraith technology.
For example, it could disrupt communication between individual sections of the technology in question. If Wraith technology is at least partly organic, it's not too much of a leap to speculate that it may utilize a type of nervous system for communication. Take a Wraith stunner for example, pulling the trigger sends an electronic message along the nerve pathways to the emitter, which releases the stun pulse in a reflex action.
If the Atlanteans had found a way to disrupt these messages, then they could render Wraith technology useless. What's more, it would be a defensive technology, rig a planet or star system with a satellite network broadcasting the jamming frequency, and voila, you have one enitrely Wraith-proof planetary system.

No need to hunt down and exterminate Wraith, because they can't get to you.

This post has been edited by Rogue Ashrak: Jun 5th 2006, 9:32 AM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 1st 2014 - 11:14 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.