Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Season 9, Episode 17 - The Scourge

Air Dates:
US: Feb. 17, 8 PM (Sci Fi Channel)
UK: Feb. 21, 8 PM (Sky One)
CA: Mar. 2, 10 PM (Space Channel)

A tour of an off-world research base for a group of foreign diplomats turns dangerous when an insidious insect species gets loose.

Episode Guide | Spoilers | Teaser

(This topic is for people who have seen the episode to discuss it. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read this topic.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
xayeidemon
post Feb 17th 2006, 9:23 PM
Post #2

Always a cousin, never a boochi!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,544

Damn. And here I was thinking M&M may have done something right for a change. As soon as SG-1 and the diplomats left the SGC, I knew I was horribly mistaken.

What I Liked:
Daniel and the Chinese lady who was played by a Japanese lady.

What I Didn't Like:
Everything else. I only scribbled down a few notes during the show, and I left the room for 20 minutes, but here's what I was thinking.

1) I don't know what kind of scientists the US government is hiring to work on its TOP SECRECT SUPER SPECIAL projects, but someone needs a good swift kick to the behind. First, what self respecting scientist would do something so utterly stupid as to give alien bugs meatloaf "on a whim?" What happened to using proper experimental controls? NO ONE is that dumb. Unless, of course, you're a scientist written by M&M because it's quite clear they don't know how to write scientists with common sense.

2) Space bugs are eating a man right in front of you. Do you:

A) Stand there and watch.
or
B) Get the hell out the way.

Why in God's holy name were they just STANDING there? Why not immediately take the gliders, load everyone up, find somewhere safe, and wait to get beamed up or found by the Odyssey? Eventually the people back on Earth would have realized something was wrong and come looking for them. But noooooo. Let's just stand here and watch the man-eating bugs devour a guy.

3) Oh, look. Something else got destroyed. This time it was the Gamma Site. What's next? Cheyenne Mountain?

4) They were conveniently beamed out just in the nick of time (which I predicted, by the way). Is this deus ex machine going to be used every time SG-1 gets into trouble? Damn, where's the danger?

5) M&M felt it necessary to blatantly homage Starship Troopers. Just when I thought they couldn't possibly get any stupider, I find I was proven wrong.
+Quote Post
teltak
post Feb 17th 2006, 9:52 PM
Post #3

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,032

I thought that it was a good episode, i like the episode that have a lot of shooting even though they were shooting at the ground. but i noticed the shooting at the ground didn't work at the end. and xayeidemon your right it doesn't make scence that they didn't take the x-302's, i think they had plenty of time.
+Quote Post
mithwriter
post Feb 17th 2006, 9:57 PM
Post #4

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 885

Okay, that wasn't too bad. I think the first 2 acts were a bit weak because they had to move the bugs from a dormant object of study to a threat, so it was a bit by-the-numbers as far as that goes (multiply, bite guy, lay eggs, burst from victim)...of course, I have seen 9 seasons of The X-Files, so maybe I was cheating.

Things got a bit better after they left the base, especially when they were in the cave and both storylines (a- bugs, b- diplomats) were neatly combined together. There were enough moments in the caves that I really liked that accomplished several things:

1. Liked the static on the other end of the radio from the site when Mitchell tried to contact the base. I got this very vivid mental image of the SGC personel fighting for their lives against the bugs before the base was detonated.

2. I liked the diplomats. I liked the balance that was established between being "only" diplomats to having very reasonable fears and complaints about what was going on around them. If handled incorrectly, they could've come off as simply whiny civilians that were a burden and in the way. Daniel's and Carter's scenes in the cave really gave a nice perspective to their jobs and how its seen from a civilian perspective....and it gave a little bit of a different angle to how I saw her character. Reminded me a little bit of "Heros"...in a good way.

3. I liked most of the Teal'c/ Mitchell stuff. I liked the "Jaws" effect of having an enemy stalking them that they can't see, but are very aware of. I just could've done without the 'picking a movie to see' stuff. It felt like they were trying to force some comedy into the situation, and it felt flat.

4. I really liked all the stuff at the final set piece at the outpost. I especially liked Woolsey telling the other guy to leave Carter alone so she could do her job. I liked the showdown outside as the bugs closed in, plus, Carter gave a nice explanation about why the bugs were attacking, that being the vibrations from the transmitting equipment. Also loved that little insert shot of the frightened civilians inside the station while the battle was going on outside. Again, reminded me a bit of "Heros".

5. Finally, I think the only think that could've made the ending a little bit better would've been if the civilians and SG-1 both had been somehow forced to the roof of the station with the bugs surrounding them and the equipment destroyed below them. Maybe then it would've been a good spot to put a Mitchell line in, something like..."Ya know, I saw this in a movie once, but its not half as much fun as it looked"....and then mention Starship Troopers. That would've worked for me. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Sighfienerd
post Feb 17th 2006, 10:00 PM
Post #5

Beyond here there be dragons
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 7,150

QUOTE(xayeidemon @ Feb 17th 2006, 9:23 PM) *

1) I don't know what kind of scientists the US government is hiring to work on its TOP SECRECT SUPER SPECIAL projects, but someone needs a good swift kick to the behind. First, what self respecting scientist would do something so utterly stupid as to give alien bugs meatloaf "on a whim?" What happened to using proper experimental controls? NO ONE is that dumb. Unless, of course, you're a scientist written by M&M because it's quite clear they don't know how to write scientists with common sense.

2) Space bugs are eating a man right in front of you. Do you:

A) Stand there and watch.
or
B) Get the hell out the way.

Why in God's holy name were they just STANDING there? Why not immediately take the gliders, load everyone up, find somewhere safe, and wait to get beamed up or found by the Odyssey? Eventually the people back on Earth would have realized something was wrong and come looking for them. But noooooo. Let's just stand here and watch the man-eating bugs devour a guy.

3) Oh, look. Something else got destroyed. This time it was the Gamma Site. What's next? Cheyenne Mountain?

4) They were conveniently beamed out just in the nick of time (which I predicted, by the way). Is this deus ex machine going to be used every time SG-1 gets into trouble? Damn, where's the danger?

5) M&M felt it necessary to blatantly homage Starship Troopers. Just when I thought they couldn't possibly get any stupider, I find I was proven wrong.

Wow! Those are exactly my nitpicks as well! I could hardly believe the writers had the team standing there with their mouths agape as they watched that guy get devoured. Nobody even bothered to try to kick the little buggers away, let alone effect any kind of rescue.

Plus, I think the writers are getting a little too used to the beam technology as their be-all, end-all rescue-the-team-at-the-last-second save. The exact same thing happened just last week!

I do, however, give them credit for acknowledging and making fun of the Starship Trooper connection at the end.
+Quote Post
Atlantians
post Feb 17th 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #6

First Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,349

Liked:
A tough Woolsey.
A chracteristically and stereotipical Frenchman.
Shooting at the ground and not being almost helpless and unable to win.
Every plan except that last one being screwed up.
The setup at the lab.
Starship Troopers refference with Teal'c's questions.

Didn't like/nitpicks: Where did the bugs get all that mass to reproduce from in the container? One piee of meatloaf ain't that dense.
Transporter beaming them up so close to death. Would have been better if they retreated into the bunker and were beamed up without the bugs just about to kill them.
How did the bugs reproduce so fast and in such vast quantities from that scientist guys body?
+Quote Post
teltak
post Feb 17th 2006, 10:39 PM
Post #7

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,032

QUOTE(Atlantians @ Feb 17th 2006, 7:13 PM) *

How did the bugs reproduce so fast and in such vast quantities from that scientist guys body?

The sicentis said that they were asexuall, so they could reprouduce when ever. and they had a lot of food seeing how much that meetloaf affected them. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
MYOB
post Feb 17th 2006, 10:58 PM
Post #8

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 146

1. I'm curious where those bugs were being sent during the detamination process? How were they disposed of?

2. The doc was in a contamination containment device. Yet they drop it a foot or so and the thing pops open like a mailbox. If they had dropped it another foot it probably would have shattered like glass.

3. One word ..................... Flamethrowers.

Be advised that the gates do not combust into flames when brought into proximity to a lit source.

MYOB'
+Quote Post
MYOB
post Feb 17th 2006, 11:05 PM
Post #9

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 146

A few more things I wanted to bring up but why was Teal'c not carrying a zak or his staff weapon? Both of them would probably have caused a heck of a lot more damage to the bugs and probably even more impact on the ground enough to cause them to flee.
Nor did I see any on the gamma site? I'm sure they probably kept a few zaks laying around just in case. They do have this unlimited or near unlimited power supply that doesn't run out when the clip does?
But I noticed this from the very first scene when they were being handed their weapons in the gateroom. Teal'c was getting a P-90 as was Daniel and Sam, but not the newbie.
I also thought all offworld bases were being built into mountains to give them more protection?

MYOB'
+Quote Post
Lisa
post Feb 17th 2006, 11:16 PM
Post #10

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,556

Okay.

C'mon.

The episode wasn't that bad.

I thought it was rather amusing and a fairly decent story plot compared to some of the episodes this season. Well, right up until the end. SG-1 always getting beamed out at the last minute is always how it works. Couldn't the bugs be like...crawling on someone and then they get beamed and there's five minutes where they doctors on the Odyssey are trying to cure and eliminate the bug threat. Plus, it would have given them samples on how to help the other planets that are being effected by the bug.

That would have been my ending.

I should seriously just be a writer for Stargate SG-1.

Haha. (That was a joke).
+Quote Post
Lisa
post Feb 17th 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #11

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,556

QUOTE(MYOB @ Feb 17th 2006, 11:05 PM) *

A few more things I wanted to bring up but why was Teal'c not carrying a zak or his staff weapon?

I don't know why they decided to get rid of the Staff Weapon (which was KICK ASS, by the way) and the Zat weapon (I noticed you were spelling it wrong.) It doesn't seem very Teal'c at all. But he's very useful with a P-90.

Silly writers of Stargate alawys do weird things each season to spice it up a bit.
+Quote Post
Andorian15
post Feb 17th 2006, 11:43 PM
Post #12

:)
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,943

I know teal'c is becoming more and more human, but I like it that way. He still has ties to his cultuire, but the whole A jaffa working for the touri was getting a little old. It could only last for so long. so far hes given up his family, Jr, shaved head, and the creepy masquara (sp?)

As for this episode it seemed like that urban ledgend where the spider layed her eggs in the girls face until the exploded out of her in the tub. Eh, who knows whats good nowdays. SG1 is changing at a fast pace. I have no idea what it's becoming, but I'm not one of those assholes who starts going "sg1 sucks now, im not watching it."

Don't like it, stop complaining and go on with your life. Nobody knows how sg1 is going to end up so give it a rest.

Right now all I can say is EEEWWW sick.gif BUGS!
+Quote Post
Atlantians
post Feb 18th 2006, 12:08 AM
Post #13

First Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,349

QUOTE(teltak @ Feb 17th 2006, 7:39 PM) *

The sicentis said that they were asexuall, so they could reprouduce when ever. and they had a lot of food seeing how much that meetloaf affected them. biggrin.gif

What I meant was how did thy reproduce and become the same size as all the others so quickly. If they grow from eggs, which was stated.
+Quote Post
Natoma
post Feb 18th 2006, 12:10 AM
Post #14

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,888

I for one loved this episode. But hey, I guess that's just me. I found it highly entertaining, funny, and downright creepy. I have a HUGE HUGE problem with bugs. Thank god my apartment is bug free, but ugh I swear I was shivering the entire episode. Giant cockroaches. sick.gif

Loved the episode from top to bottom. Sure it wasn't one of the best of the season, or even close, but it was damn entertaining.
+Quote Post
nerd101
post Feb 18th 2006, 2:11 AM
Post #15

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,358

This episode is such a lousy filler!!!.
Such episodes do take the edge away from the show.
+Quote Post
dresolve
post Feb 18th 2006, 2:15 AM
Post #16

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,806

Did anyone catch the Chinese that was being spoken at the beginning of the episode? Does Mitchell really speak Mandarin? I wanted to know what they were saying so I played the taped conversation to a friend of mine from Hong Kong. The fact that I played it through a cellphone and that both actors were non-native speakers may have had something to do with why she had a hard time making out what they said but it's possible that they were saying:
Shen Xiaoyi: So do you speak Chinese?
Daniel: Not as well as your English
Shen Xiaoyi: ???
Daniel: ??? Yeah, don't know why I'm still on this ship?
Mitchell: Yeah, that's very funny, (in English) screw you/whatever (depending how it's translated from Mandarin)

Considering the conversation that Daniel and the Chinese delegate have later in the episode when they're on the verge of getting eaten by spacebugs I think it may have some deeper implications towards the future role of China and the Stargate (?Stargates) on Earth.
+Quote Post
usmctech99
post Feb 18th 2006, 2:56 AM
Post #17

SILENCE!!!! I Kill you!
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,693

I was not thinking Starship Troopers while watching this ep. (Until Mitchell mentioned it at the end of course) I was thinking more along the lines of the scarabs in The Mummy and The Mummy Returns.

And shouldn't there have been clothing laying around after the bugs were finished with that guy? I thought they became totally carnivorous?

This post has been edited by usmctech99: Feb 18th 2006, 3:38 AM
+Quote Post
Mike
post Feb 18th 2006, 3:05 AM
Post #18

I Piss Excellence
Group Icon

Member No.: 957

I gotta admit I like the Starship Troopers reference as well as Teal'c mentioning "Old School".

"You're My Boy Blue!" laugh.gif I feel that if you are a fan of sci-fi in general you will get a kick out of the references and homage that is being paid to past Sci-Fi shows and movies in both SG-1 and Atlantis.

The episode wasn't bad. Reminded me alot of the replicator type episodes.
+Quote Post
bob is almighty
post Feb 18th 2006, 3:25 AM
Post #19

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,873

This episode wasn't too bad. The plotline and the ending were weak, but the personality and characterization were excellent. I was afraid near the beginning that it was going to turn into some stupid horror rip-off. I was thinking "oh great, the Sci-Fi channel movies have gotten to them!" but it turned out to be much different. Yiu never actually saw that much of the bugs. I liked the possible foreshadowing into China's future involvement in the Stargate program. The Mitchell/Teal'c relationship was great. It really shows that Teal'c is beocming accustomed to having Mitchell as his superior as opposed to O'Neill. I still don't really feel the team chemistry, but it's there more than it was at the beginning of the year. Overall it wasn't bad, but it was rough around the edges.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Feb 18th 2006, 3:36 AM
Post #20

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,622

The episode was okay. My main problem might be that I have a major problem with bugs, especially when they start coming out of someone's mouth. sick.gif

I liked the Chinese rep speaking in Mandarin to Daniel and him speaking back. Then she laughed and they looked to Cam. Then that was followed by Cam's response in Mandarin. I loved the expression on Daniel's face. It was like "WTF?" So with her reference to Daniel about coming to work for her country if they had asked first, does that mean that maybe, just maybe they found their own stargate and need someone to help? She said I may hold you to that.

I liked Cam and Teal'c talking about Teal'c getting an offbase home. "I tried that and don't want to do it again."

I must admit I did LOL at the Starship Troopers referenc.

Usually I don't like Woolsey, but I did in this one because he came to Sam's defense.

Main problem, we lost the Gamma Site and everything that was there. So once again SG1 attempts to do something, and we have a major resource destroyed. First the Prometheus and now the Gamma Site is gone.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that one guy that Sam helped escape Earth, during season 8, sent to the Gamma Site? He was a pilot and knew that we had fought Aliens at Antarctica. He was going to reveal the SG program, but the NID stopped him by threatening his people. I don't remember them saying that he left the site. He was there to help with resource. So is he gone now? Or had he left the site previously?
+Quote Post
Janos
post Feb 18th 2006, 6:11 AM
Post #21

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,403

Alright, finished watching Bane, Part II and here's what I thought. As I was watching the opening credits right after the intro where Landry told them they'd be babysitting diplomats, I said to myself... "Wait, wait, wait, let me guess.... There's going to be some big problem, and contrary to all the abundant evidence, the diplomats aren't going to comprehend at all what kind of danger their in, and because of that they'll f*ck up the plan in some stupid way and people are going to die... Kinda like in The Tomb. I was fully expecting most, if not all, of the diplomats to not make. I guess I can't be right about everything.

Was anyone surprised that they underestimated the Priors and the Ori yet again? I mean, really... How many times are they going to do that before someone figures out that they shouldn't do that anymore?

Can't these guys write something that's not predictable?

QUOTE(xayeidemon @ Feb 17th 2006, 7:23 PM) *

Oh come on... Now that part was funny!

QUOTE(teltak @ Feb 17th 2006, 7:52 PM) *

I thought that it was a good episode, i like the episode that have a lot of shooting even though they were shooting at the ground. but i noticed the shooting at the ground didn't work at the end. and xayeidemon your right it doesn't make scence that they didn't take the x-302's, i think they had plenty of time.

Yeah, it's funny how they can pick and choose when a plot device works or not. "Sure! The concussive blasts from the weapon fire makes the bugs run away for hours and hours because they're very senstive to sound waves! Until the last part of the episode, then we can just ignore everything we previously said! Yeah!"

QUOTE(teltak @ Feb 17th 2006, 8:39 PM) *

Yeah, but they didn't have a lot of food. Atlantians has it right, you need food to grow. You need mass to grow. Where did the mass come from? I mean, how do you fill up a 3-4 cubic foot chamber with a thimblefull of meatloaf? It's a simple mass conversion ratio, it just doesn't make sense.

QUOTE(Mike @ Feb 18th 2006, 1:05 AM) *

I gotta admit I like the Starship Troopers reference as well as Teal'c mentioning "Old School".

"You're My Boy Blue!" laugh.gif I feel that if you are a fan of sci-fi in general you will get a kick out of the references and homage that is being paid to past Sci-Fi shows and movies in both SG-1 and Atlantis.

The episode wasn't bad. Reminded me alot of the replicator type episodes.

You're my boy Blue! You're my boy!
"All we do, crumbles to the ground though I refuse to see,
Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind."

laugh.gif

Even though there were some big WTF moments, and it felt sub-par in parts, it was a lot better than some of the other craptastic episodes they pulled out of their collective asses this season.

I'd give it a nice mediocre rating. It's wasn't the best episode this season, but it wasn't terrible. Even with the parts that didn't make sense, it was still quite enjoyable to watch! biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Ziu
post Feb 18th 2006, 9:16 AM
Post #22

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,813

QUOTE(nerd101 @ Feb 18th 2006, 3:11 AM) *

This episode is such a lousy filler!!!.
Such episodes do take the edge away from the show.

You got that right. Looks like at least every other show is a filler episode.
When the bugs attacked, I thought I was watching the re-make of 'The Mummy'. The Scarabs in the Mummy were a lot cooler than these bugs. In the Mummy they left a stripped down skeleton.

I liked the correct portrayel of the Frenchman. He was whinnny, cowardly and self-interested, just like the current French Government. king.gif
+Quote Post
Raxor
post Feb 18th 2006, 10:18 AM
Post #23

Group Icon

Member No.: 174

i was aware that that guy in season 8 was sent to the alpha site. alright ep but nothing too special.

**1/2
+Quote Post
Cha'Lok
post Feb 18th 2006, 10:21 AM
Post #24

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,678

Didn't like this episode at all. I'll give it a 2/5. Especially after watching the BSG episode which was really good. BSG is so way better than SG. Looking forward to the next episoded of SG-1 though. Hope they end this season as good as it started.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 18th 2014 - 8:46 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.