Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> About this area

The loitering zone is for discussions about things other than Stargate. Please use the appropriate section when posting, and be sure to read the forum rules.

Loitering Zone Index: Off Topic Chatter | TV, Movies & Music | Computer Talk | Sports Talk | Forum Games

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Toyota To Enter NASCAR Nextel Cup In 2007
Mike
post Jan 23rd 2006, 1:22 PM
Post #1

I Piss Excellence
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 957

From the ESPN.com website:

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Toyota will race in Nextel Cup events beginning in 2007, becoming the first foreign competitor in NASCAR's top stock car series since the 1950s.

The Japanese auto maker will also run the Busch Series races after the 2006 season, joining Chevrolet, Ford and Dodge. The announcement was expected at a Monday news conference from NASCAR's research and development facility in Concord, a person close to Toyota told The Associated Press.

The person, speaking on condition of anonymity because an official announcement hasn't been made, said Toyota "is looking forward to being competitive right off the bat" in both series.

The last foreign manufacturer to participate in NASCAR's top racing series was Jaguar, which entered several races in the 1950s.

The move by Toyota was not a complete surprise. The company moved into NASCAR's Craftsman Truck Series in 2004 and quickly became competitive, with Travis Kvapil giving the manufacturer its first win in July of that year.

Toyota raced in several American-based sports car series before moving into open-wheel racing in 1996.

After providing engines for several teams in what was then the CART series from 1996-02, Toyota moved to the rival Indy Racing League, where it won 17 races, including four last year. The highlight for Toyota came when one of its engines powered Gil de Ferran to a victory in the 2003 Indianapolis 500.

The company was scheduled to continue to supply engines for IRL teams through 2006, but decided over the winter to withdraw immediately to concentrate on developing its NASCAR program, leaving Honda, its Japan competitor, as the IRL's only engine supplier for the upcoming season.

It's going to look odd seeing a Camry or Avolon running the oval track but it should be interesting.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ori
post Jan 24th 2006, 8:43 AM
Post #2

Where am I? Who Am I?
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 9,645

I'm a huge NASCAR fan and I think it will be cool to see them race a Toyota. Hopefully they will do as good in the Cup and Busch series as they have been doing in the Truck series. I will also be curious to see what drivers will be driving the Toyotas.
+Quote Post
CluckChicken
post Jan 24th 2006, 9:44 AM
Post #3

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,974

QUOTE(Mike @ Jan 23rd 2006, 1:22 PM) *

From the ESPN.com website:
It's going to look odd seeing a Camry or Avolon running the oval track but it should be interesting.

Considering how much NASCARs look alike and how little the resemble the cars they say they are does it really matter what they call them? Calling NASCAR "stock car" racing is a joke.
+Quote Post
Varun
post Jan 24th 2006, 1:25 PM
Post #4

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 807

I follow F1 but this is very interesting.

Obviously, this is Toyota's little way of appealing to the NASCAR fans to buy a Toyota. Im surprised that they are venturing into NASCAR given their enourmous budget for the F1 programme.

But if they mix up the field its gonna be interesting. But right now I'm chuckling at the image of a somewhat chubby man like Tony Stewart squeezing into a Toyota. Next thing you know he will jump to F1............ahahahahaha - the cockpit isnt big enough tongue.gif
+Quote Post
GoVols
post Jun 11th 2006, 3:09 AM
Post #5

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,546

Im sorry but the Nascar drivers just arent good enough to drive F1. Even Stewart, Gordon, and dont get me started on e, if my daddy was E i could do it too!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 18th 2014 - 8:27 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.