Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Season 9, Episode 13 - Ripple Effect

Air Dates:
US: Jan. 20, 8 PM (Sci Fi Channel)
UK: Jan. 24, 8 PM (Sky One)
CA: Feb. 2, 10 PM (Space Channel)

The SG-1 team is surprised when a friend from the past suddenly appears.

Episode Guide | Spoilers | Teaser

(This topic is for people who have seen the episode to discuss it. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read this topic.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Janos
post Jan 20th 2006, 9:03 PM
Post #2

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,403

Well, I was waiting for an evil SG-1 team to appear. After the two Mitchells talked, I wasn't sure if they were stopping the detonation for some evil purpose or if they were stopping is to give time to figure out how to get themselves back to their Earth.

I think this was well done, it really seems like the actors are having a good time doing this again. The atmosphere just seems like there's real camraderie between the characters.

I thought it was good, but I kinda figured something weird must have happened with the first team. I mean, nothing happened until that first team came through but I bought the explanation of the Supernova. In hindsight, I'm kicking myself for not seeing it sooner.

Still thought it was great! biggrin.gif Much better than last week's!

Oh yeah, I feel like a dumbass. It wasn't until Mitchell said, "How did you know I wasn't your Mitchell?" that I realized he was the other one. I was saying to myself, "Well, that's a stupid way for Teal'C and Daniel to hold the Zats! Mitchell can just hit them both and distract them so Teal'C can grab one of them!!!!"

<-- Talk about dense!

This post has been edited by Janos: Jan 20th 2006, 9:06 PM
+Quote Post
superfan448
post Jan 20th 2006, 9:04 PM
Post #3

Airman
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,886

So did anybody else get confused by Mitchell during his little "so you know we know you know..."?
+Quote Post
Natoma
post Jan 20th 2006, 9:06 PM
Post #4

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,888

This episode was hawt!!!! 1.gif

Though I wonder what the "cut the green wire" comment meant at the end. hmm.

Oh yea, hawt episode! w00t.gif biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Janos
post Jan 20th 2006, 9:09 PM
Post #5

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

QUOTE(superfan448 @ Jan 20th 2006, 7:04 PM) *

So did anybody else get confused by Mitchell during his little "so you know we know you know..."?

Nope, saw that coming too. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Natoma @ Jan 20th 2006, 7:06 PM) *
Though I wonder what the "cut the green wire" comment meant at the end. hmm.

I wonder if we can trust him. He kind of smirked when he went through the gate. I'm wondering if he's trying ot backstab our Mitchell or something in retaliation for us whooping their asses.
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Jan 20th 2006, 9:18 PM
Post #6

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,411

I loved it, thought it was one of the season's best. From the mind bending twist of multiple SG-1s (sixteen Daniel's? Bestill my beating heart!), to the 'we figured it out by thinking like we would think', I had trouble keeping up with who was who. Bad guys who weren't all that bad, just desperate? Yeah, our SG-1 would have done the same thing to save their world. And a whole room full of Sams, that was a trick. The special effects were great, don't know how they managed so many multi-Carter conversations.
Kudos to all four actors, if you looked closely, you could see the differences in them. Very nice acting job there.
The look on Daniel's face when he saw Janet? The way he sat on the table facing her, close enough to touch, but didn't? Or couldn't? And then finally, finally, Janet getting the farewell she deserved! I had to hold back the tears when Daniel just held her so tight.
I stayed away from the spoilers because I didn't want to know, although I figured it must be Janet. Didn't figure on Martouf, though, that was a surprise.
And I guess all the shippers got what they wanted with the remarks about honeymoons and maternity leave. Although the writers, those sneaky SOBs, made sure to leave one name carefully unmentioned.
+Quote Post
StargateFan10475
post Jan 20th 2006, 9:42 PM
Post #7

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,141

I thought it was a good episode, but I could have done without all the hints about the alternate Sam's lives: maternity leave, honeymoon, etc. If they weren't going to tell you WHO she was involved with, they should have just left it alone. Teasing shippers is not cool. mad.gif I wonder how many times they can go back to the alternate universe plot before it gets old, if it isn't already. blink.gif
+Quote Post
xayeidemon
post Jan 20th 2006, 9:45 PM
Post #8

Always a cousin, never a boochi!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,544

Yes!! Finally an episode where I couldn't predict the ending!!!

Pardon what follows. I copied it directly from my LJ.

Wow. I can hear the plot bunnies shagging away like crazy, producing scads of missing scene fics, episode tags, and other fanfic goodies. Story ideas I came up with during the course of the episode:

*Daniel has a heart to heart with Janet and tells her everything he wanted to while she was still alive.

*Sam has a heart to heart with Martouf and tells him everything she wanted to before she was forced to kill him.

*15 Teal'cs congregate in one room. Hilarity ensues.

*Jack is still leader of SG-1. I admit I don't have a real plot for that one, just that I miss the Jack I fell in love with.

*Orgy.

*Hammond is on an SG team.

*We find out that Alterna-Sam #1 was actually involved in a secret relationship with her universe's Janet. That's why she wasn't telling when everyone was asking. ;)

*They all start up a football league. The SFL.

*Commando SG-1 (did you see them?!) does something really cool. And again, I haven't a real plot for that idea. I just thought they looked really neat coming through the gate like they were storming the castle or something.

Okay, onto what I thought of the episode. :)

The bad:

Daniel. Ugh, I love the boy, but let's give him something useful to do, shall we? He's been channelling Jack way too much lately. LOL! "Channelling!" Jack's rubbed off too much on Daniel, it seems. LMAO!! "Rubbed off!" Daniel seems as if he's the new, younger, four-eyed version of Jack. ROTFL!! "Younger!"

I can't really think of too much that bothered me aside from Daniel's inappropriate snarkiness and the fact that things are bad enough in the other SG-1's universe that they'd resort to...what they resorted to.

And on to the good:

Errything else! I squealed when Janet showed up. I was soooooooo wanting Daniel to break down in tears and go, "OMG, Janet!" as he scooped her up into a bone crushing hug and proceeded to suffocate her against his breast. Chest. I meant chest. But guys have breasts too. Anyway, I loved seeing Daniel and Janet together.

MARTOUF!! OMFG MARTOUF!! I admit it. I needed some Kleenex when he flashed that gorgous smile of his. I was already verklempt because of Janet, and he didn't make it any better. I didn't realize just how much I missed Martouf. I was surprised.

Cam's undies. They deserved mention.

The Cams remininscing were kinda funny. After awhile, though, I was wishing they'd stop.

At the end, everyone had a chance to say goodbye to both Janet and Martouf. Yup, I teared up again. Especially when Daniel hugged Janet. :'(

What I could either take or leave:

The room full of Sams. It was funny for like a millisecond. Then I was just annoyed. I'm sure if it had been a room full of Daniels, Cams, or Teal'cs I might have felt differently. That gives me yet another fic idea.

Landry apologized for being callous, but he still came off kinda rough. Had it been me, I'd have done anything Janet asked me to do. She could have asked me to go marry a lamp post, and I'd be like, "Okay! OMG, you're ALIVE!!"

What I learned about myself:

I'm still a Jan/Dan shipper.

I'm still a Sam/Martouf shipper.

My brain provided the perfect excuse to call Jan/Sam canon (aside from the Cassie's-got-two-mommies episode).

I think (Daniel)(Daniel)^4 is kinda hot.

-------------------------

I was gonna say I thought Mullie and Mallozzi finally pulled off a good episode, but then I remembered seeing Brad Wright's name, too. Aaaaaaaand then it all made sense.
+Quote Post
Janos
post Jan 20th 2006, 9:46 PM
Post #9

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

QUOTE(StargateFan10475 @ Jan 20th 2006, 7:42 PM) *

Teasing shippers is not cool.

Of course it is! laugh.gif

I'm glad they didn't mention it!
QUOTE(xayeidemon @ Jan 20th 2006, 7:45 PM) *

I squealed when Janet showed up.

Yeah, that was a great moment when Daniel and Teal'C walked in the room.

At the end, everyone had a chance to say goodbye to both Janet and Martouf. Yup, I teared up again. Especially when Daniel hugged Janet. :'(

That one too!

The room full of Sams. It was funny for like a millisecond. Then I was just annoyed.

I agree, that gag just went on way too long.

I was gonna say I thought Mullie and Mallozzi finally pulled off a good episode, but then I remembered seeing Brad Wright's name, too. Aaaaaaaand then it all made sense.

laugh.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Janos: Jan 20th 2006, 9:53 PM
+Quote Post
danielfan
post Jan 20th 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #10

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,002

one of the better episodes of the yr, although MS didn't have many lines. I loved the moments between DJ and JF. Looks like they continued their own little game of shippiness (MS has been quoted saying he and TR would throw in little extra looks anad touchs all the time after finding out there were somne DJ/JF shippers out there)

I'd give this episode an 8 out of 10.
+Quote Post
stargate_addict
post Jan 20th 2006, 10:23 PM
Post #11

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,195

I liked the episode a lot but other things annoyed me.

The annoying things:

The asgard, He seemed really cheesey and just got on my nerves!

Janet and Sam not talking, and Janet not being in it enough.

All of the Sams in the same room was annoying, It was funny for a second but then was like lets move on.

And the Sam/Martuf thing was annoying, i mean they were going to kiss, that was just stupid. (Martuf's Teeth were way to bright.)

The Good things:

We saw Janet and Martuf again.

Good overall comic timing.

I didn't predict the ending.

The basic story line. (although i thought the could have done more with it.)
+Quote Post
danielfan
post Jan 20th 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #12

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

I agree about Martuf's teeth. They almost seemed blue.
+Quote Post
Otaku_Smeghead
post Jan 20th 2006, 10:39 PM
Post #13

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,911

The episode seemed kinda meh to me weak writing. But I LOVED the two Mitchell's talk about the OJ that was cool. Im gonna watch the peat and see if my opinion changes.
+Quote Post
row4d
post Jan 20th 2006, 11:08 PM
Post #14

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,895

Okay, one seriously glaring error that jumped out at me as soon as the second SG-1 walked through the gate wearing green BDUs -- HELLO! Did no one realize that they came back wearing different uniforms than they had on when they left? I know they probably pack a change of clothes when they go offworld, but still... you could fly the Prometheus through that plot hole!

That was so cool when Janet was on one of the alternate teams! You could just see on Daniel and Teal'c's faces how much they had missed her. It must have been even more of a shock to Daniel, since he was right next to her when she was killed.

Who else was amused at the the third team to come through -- looked (and sounded, in Cam's case) an awful lot like "Wormhole X-Treme"! 1.gif

This post has been edited by row4d: Jan 20th 2006, 11:23 PM
+Quote Post
danielfan
post Jan 20th 2006, 11:12 PM
Post #15

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

actually the group in green was the correct SG-1. It was the first team, dressed in black that came through with the wrong color uniforms.
+Quote Post
row4d
post Jan 20th 2006, 11:26 PM
Post #16

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,895

QUOTE(danielfan @ Jan 20th 2006, 11:12 PM) *

actually the group in green was the correct SG-1. It was the first team, dressed in black that came through with the wrong color uniforms.

I realize that, but they did come through second. I just couldn't believe that no one remembered they were wearing green when they left, and these folks came back wearing black. Was there no one in the control room who was also present when they left?

This post has been edited by row4d: Jan 20th 2006, 11:27 PM
+Quote Post
xayeidemon
post Jan 20th 2006, 11:41 PM
Post #17

Always a cousin, never a boochi!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,544

Do we know how long our SG-1 was gone? If they were offworld for a couple of days, it makes sense that they might have changed clothes at some point.

And LOL at the Wormhole X-treme thing. Commando SG-1 did look kinda cartoonish. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
mithwriter
post Jan 21st 2006, 12:08 AM
Post #18

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 885

Okay...I did not read a single spoiler for this - haven't read any spoilers since "Heros" back in season...er...7? So what I'm going to say is first impressions of what I got unfiltered, undiagnosed, undiscussed with any one, and my primary reaction to this whole thing was -

blink.gif Weird blink.gif
  • Okay, the "multiple" effect looked pretty smooth on my six year old RCA TV. They've improved it quite a bit.
  • Couldn't help but notice that none of the AU Tealcs had a shaved head.
  • Fraiser and Martouf make reappearances, eh? (insert yawn here)
  • Just felt a bit too much like a gimmick episode. Probably just me. I'm tired right now.
  • The Mitchell switch on Prometheus was just another annoying element in an ep full of double-talk and technobabble that was trying to be way too clever for its own good.
  • Someone mentioned how much fun the cast seems to be having. Well, they said the same thing about the cast of the movie "Ocean's Twelve", and that was a boring movie.

The more I see of this season, the easier it makes my decision to stop buying the DVDs after season 8.

But hey, the rest of you seemed to enjoy it a whole bunch, so I'll leave ya to it. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kuwdora
post Jan 21st 2006, 12:17 AM
Post #19

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 541

What was this episode about?

I mean besides TPTB teasing shippers?

Oh. Right. JR Bourne and Teryl Rothery appearing! I got no beef with that. I like Martouf.

But what's the kicker? Mitchell in his undies. That makes the episode for me. After tuning out all the technobabble and silly who-is-Sam-with mystery, it all boils down to how good Ben Browder looks in a pair of boxers.

Yep.

+Quote Post
MYOB
post Jan 21st 2006, 12:30 AM
Post #20

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 146

First, let me susggest that if you haven't already go read the deleted scenes from Gateworld cause after having just read them it puts a lot of this episode in more perspective.

First and foremost "Cut the green wire"

Without having seen the deleted scenes over at gateworld I might have suggested that the black team, as advertised was too different than our own universe to suggest they were anything more than partially evil. Or at least morally bankrupt to some degree. As I watched this ep I kept thinking to myself that Daniel would never have allowed this to happen. He would never have gone along with it. Something like this would invalidate him ever ascending ever again, assuming that he ever did in that alternate U.
But reading the deleted scenes shows that the black jacket wearing Daniel did disagree with it. He also didn't want to go along with it and seeing how Teal'c was willing to be so violent with Mitchell unlike his handling of his alternate self back in season 3 when he shot his AU self instantly but had to since that version had not turned against Apophis I think they were indeed morally bankrupt. Of course one has to wonder whether Carter has a bad side since her replicator was more than willing to backstab or betray any moral code.
But Daniel? Never.
Had I not seen the deleted scenes I would have assumed they were all clearly an evil version but I can safely say that I cannot say that of all of them.

Which brings the "Cut the green wire" comment into perspective and adds a nice challenge.
This line quickly made me think of the short story 'The Lady and the Tiger'

For those who have never read the story here it goes.

The princess of a kingdom falls in love with a commoner and the king finds out. The king makes him appear in the arena where he is faced with two doors. Behind one is a lady that he must choose to be with instead of his daughter and behind the other is a tiger that will kill him the moment he opens it. The climax of the story is that the princess has secretly told the man she loved which door has the lady, we believe, because she wants to save his life. But the reader is made to realize at the end that the princess does not want the man she loves to be with another woman, thus you are left to ponder whether or not she told him the correct door to save his life, or the wrong door cause she'd rather he be dead than be with another woman. The story ends with the man opening one of the doors but you never learn which.

So the "Cut the green wire" line leaves us with the question, did the AU Mitchell just sabotage a future event out of spite for being thwarted at obtaining the ZPM? Did he tell this reality's Mitchell the wronge wire to cut or was he truly sincere in telling him the color wire? The look on Mitchell's face as he turned to enter the gate said it all. Combined with the fact he was more willing to sacrifice this world to save his own than not shows he has a mean streak in him.
I think he told him the wrong wire and yet I wonder if they won't address whether Mitchell ponders this later on?

A good episode in the sense that they really thought their way through it.
A real change of pace considering some of the eps this season.

This post has been edited by MYOB: Jan 21st 2006, 12:42 AM
+Quote Post
Lisa
post Jan 21st 2006, 1:16 AM
Post #21

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,556

Okay, over-all feel for the episode: Humourous.

I really liked the Sam Carter's. It never got old for me. I mean, I cracked up every time I saw them, or heard about them, like when Landry was like "We have 18 formost experts working on this problem..." or whatever, and I just saw the Carters sitting in the room. Haha. (Did anyone else notice that one of the Sams had on the glasses that Alterna-Cater did in Moebius, season 8?)

NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT ENOUGH JANET FRAISER OR MARTOUF!!

Over-all...I've noticed that Daniel has taken on the Jack O'Neill roll...making me wish he'd go back to being "I'm not sure if this is right or not...but I'm gonna go through with it and if I hate it I'll be sure to live in silence for a few days/years and ponder ascention while trying to deal with it..."

Although, the best line in the episode was either Sam responding to Mitchel's question about there being someone else (refering to the alternate-sam) to follow her and her going "Yep!" OR Daniel going "I miss Thor."

Oh man. "I miss Thor." I watched both showings of the episode tonight and I cracked up each time I hear that line.
+Quote Post
linda_lol
post Jan 21st 2006, 1:36 AM
Post #22

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,933

10, lovely.

I thought it was very good, besides that all the Sams were annoying me, but still, very good! Though, what made me a little upset was the fact that they finally found an opportunity to bring Janet back, and what do they do, "Bye Janet!"

I miss her so much! It was so nice to hear her voice again! Martouf, bleh, who cares. But Janet? Bring Janet back!
+Quote Post
Aerin
post Jan 21st 2006, 1:41 AM
Post #23

Airman Basic

Member No.: 10,958

Hi! I'm new here, and fairly new to SG-1. I started watching when I heard that Ben Browder was joining the cast (I'm a huge Farscape fan), and I've watched lots of re-runs over the past few months, and now I'm hooked. But I've got to say that the new season was a disappointment to me until last week and this week, which I thought were a huge improvement. Mainly, Ben finally has had a chance to actually act! And for me, it's always a treat to see actors play multiple versions of their characters. I guess some folks got bored with it, but not me!
+Quote Post
chimaera
post Jan 21st 2006, 2:11 AM
Post #24

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,872

LOVE LOVE LOVE the room full of Sam Carters. Gonna have to pull a McKay on this one but, man do I love the short-haired blondes, especially the smart scientist kind.
"Let's talk about leadership...."
+Quote Post

9 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 20th 2014 - 4:40 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.