Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate SG-1: Spoilers & Speculation

This area is for SG-1 spoilers. There are separate categories for Atlantis Spoilers and Universe Spoilers. Complete forum rules are available here.

SG-1 Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Will Asgard ascend?
so2k
post Mar 15th 2007, 8:04 PM
Post #49

Civilian
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,416

Man was I ever dissapointed about what happens to the Asgard... MY FAVOURITE RACE! They had better be able to keep that cool new stuff they got.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Mar 15th 2007, 8:08 PM
Post #50

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

Well you never know.....
» Click to Show Spoiler «
+Quote Post
Protoziggy90
post Mar 15th 2007, 9:14 PM
Post #51

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,304

+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Mar 16th 2007, 4:29 AM
Post #52

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

TPTB know what fans are like, they wanted to make sure that they didn't leave it open to discussion.
+Quote Post
Protoziggy90
post Mar 16th 2007, 6:38 AM
Post #53

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Mar 16th 2007, 5:29 AM) *

TPTB know what fans are like, they wanted to make sure that they didn't leave it open to discussion.

And hence marking the end of this thread?
+Quote Post
Lagger
post Mar 16th 2007, 9:08 AM
Post #54

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,349

rofl.. there might be a few floating aroudn frozen in space ROFL...

an alternate dimension opens up ROFL

time machine!!
+Quote Post
Alosel
post Mar 16th 2007, 9:16 AM
Post #55

First Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,667

I find it effectively ridicullous. Yes it was a way to end the series, but doesn't mean I have to like it...

Of all the things the Asgard could have done to themselves. They found one of their ancestors before the degredation of the genome occured, and they could have made clones of him, for example, which would have temporarily fixed the problem of their dying race.

Also, think of all those places with the DNA sequencer that the SGC have found, and could have told the Asgard about, which could have fixed their genetic problems with a few dedicated scientists and a clone or two to work on. Maybe not ethical, but the Asgard don't seem to have much ethics concerning the setience of a clone, considering what happened in Covenant.

This really annoyed me.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Mar 16th 2007, 5:12 PM
Post #56

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

+Quote Post
Alosel
post Mar 16th 2007, 5:40 PM
Post #57

First Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,667

but even the latest attemt was ridicullous for a race as intelligent as the Asgard - they find this 'cure' to the problem, and they don't (as far as we know) test it on test-clones to see the affects it could have.
No... instead they use the whole of the Asgard Race from the start off, and then realise - oh dear- that in fact it gives them a congenital disease :-|
+Quote Post
Baggers.
post Mar 16th 2007, 5:48 PM
Post #58

Baggers.
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,573

the fact that the asgard could download their entire consciousness into a computer makes me think why they couldn't have designed some kind of artificial body. atleast until they managed to solve their biological body problems.

i know it wouldn't fit in with the show etc but i'm sure it would have been possible for a race as technologically advanced as the asgard.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Mar 16th 2007, 6:39 PM
Post #59

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Maybe they just realised it was time to let go, and even if they could get out of that situation they wouldn't be able to get out of it in the long term and just decided to end it. I'm just saying this stuff because they probably wouldn't have done it had there been a way for them not to have biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Baggers.
post Mar 16th 2007, 6:52 PM
Post #60

Baggers.
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Mar 16th 2007, 11:39 PM) *

Maybe they just realised it was time to let go, and even if they could get out of that situation they wouldn't be able to get out of it in the long term and just decided to end it. I'm just saying this stuff because they probably wouldn't have done it had there been a way for them not to have biggrin.gif

i dont know, they were still trying to save themselves right up to the end. if it wasn't for the degenerative condition the asgard would have continued to find a solution. i think the only reason they decided to end it the way that they did was so that they didn't suffer.

i still think it was just a really sad and lame way to kill off the most likeable race in stargate, such a powerful and proud race deserved a more fitting end, whether it was ascension or not. For me, the shows ended and left a bad taste in my mouth that to some extent has spolit all the episodes before it, because now i know the asgard will eventually die out.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Mar 16th 2007, 7:02 PM
Post #61

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Nah, it is a bit sad but it felt like natural progression imo. They were heading that way the entire series, maybe it came a bit early, but it still felt like that's where it was going for some of it. And seemed a fitting ending imo. Was one of the only threads that felt really 'complete' really. Like the show as a series was partly to tell the story of the universe with the asgard in it. And future ones will tell the story of the universe without that massive input. I just look at these from a story perspective rather then a show perspective and things like this are a lot more ok then smile.gif
+Quote Post
Baggers.
post Mar 16th 2007, 7:30 PM
Post #62

Baggers.
Group Icon

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Mar 17th 2007, 12:02 AM) *

Nah, it is a bit sad but it felt like natural progression imo. They were heading that way the entire series, maybe it came a bit early, but it still felt like that's where it was going for some of it. And seemed a fitting ending imo. Was one of the only threads that felt really 'complete' really. Like the show as a series was partly to tell the story of the universe with the asgard in it. And future ones will tell the story of the universe without that massive input. I just look at these from a story perspective rather then a show perspective and things like this are a lot more ok then smile.gif

considering all the times the asgard helped us, and we helped them, i just think the way they died out was a bit lame. i have no issues with the fact that the asgard did die out, like you said, it was inevitable. but they should have done it in a better way, they should have gone out in a blaze of glory and not just a little whimper.

Its spoilt the show for me and i can't help but feel disappointed by it. the movies better be really really good if they are going to redeem themselves in any way.
+Quote Post
Lancelot
post Mar 16th 2007, 11:37 PM
Post #63

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,650

QUOTE(baggers1982 @ Mar 17th 2007, 12:30 AM) *

considering all the times the asgard helped us, and we helped them, i just think the way they died out was a bit lame. i have no issues with the fact that the asgard did die out, like you said, it was inevitable. but they should have done it in a better way, they should have gone out in a blaze of glory and not just a little whimper.

Its spoilt the show for me and i can't help but feel disappointed by it. the movies better be really really good if they are going to redeem themselves in any way.

This post has been edited by Lancelot: Mar 16th 2007, 11:39 PM
+Quote Post
More Cowbell!
post Mar 17th 2007, 7:26 PM
Post #64

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,532

QUOTE(baggers1982 @ Mar 16th 2007, 6:48 PM) *
the fact that the asgard could download their entire consciousness into a computer makes me think why they couldn't have designed some kind of artificial body. atleast until they managed to solve their biological body problems.

i know it wouldn't fit in with the show etc but i'm sure it would have been possible for a race as technologically advanced as the asgard.

I was thinking the same thing, they already know how to download their conciousness, they could have made some sweet robotic selves (heck they may even like being robotic), or they could have had O'Neill give it a go with an ancient knowledge device and see if he could figure something out with an ancient DNA splicer tool (he figured out how to kill the replicators). It was said in another thread it was a rush job, and it sure seems that way. Bad writing if you ask me.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Mar 17th 2007, 7:42 PM
Post #65

General
Group Icon

There was also the DNA manipulator SG-1 found in 'Prototype'. As far as we know, it wasn't destroyed. There was nothing stopping the Asgard from using that. In theory, they could have used manipulated their DNA so it resmbled the DNA of the Asgard found in 'Revelations', which Heimdall said was from a time before their genetic alterations had become irreversible.
+Quote Post
Protoziggy90
post Mar 17th 2007, 10:48 PM
Post #66

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Mar 17th 2007, 8:42 PM) *

There was also the DNA manipulator SG-1 found in 'Prototype'. As far as we know, it wasn't destroyed. There was nothing stopping the Asgard from using that. In theory, they could have used manipulated their DNA so it resmbled the DNA of the Asgard found in 'Revelations', which Heimdall said was from a time before their genetic alterations had become irreversible.

Would that body not have been too primitive or underdeveloped for the currecnt Asgard mind? The body that they found in that episode was supposedly about 30,000 years old. So would that body's brain not have been too small to handle the vast knowledge of the current Asgard brain? Remember what happened to Jack when he had too much information placed into his brain?
+Quote Post
toolazytothinkofanoriginalname
post Mar 18th 2007, 2:33 AM
Post #67

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,905

+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Mar 18th 2007, 5:03 AM
Post #68

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Protoziggy90 @ Mar 18th 2007, 3:48 AM) *
Would that body not have been too primitive or underdeveloped for the currecnt Asgard mind? The body that they found in that episode was supposedly about 30,000 years old. So would that body's brain not have been too small to handle the vast knowledge of the current Asgard brain? Remember what happened to Jack when he had too much information placed into his brain?
I guess they could have manipulated their DNA to just stop the degeration of their bodies and left their brain capacity intact. Nirrti managed to alter Jonas' brain chemistry and leave his body intact so I'd say the Asgard could manipulate their bodies and leave their brain intact. Who knows though?
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Mar 18th 2007, 12:19 PM
Post #69

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Mar 18th 2007, 5:03 AM) *

I guess they could have manipulated their DNA to just stop the degeration of their bodies and left their brain capacity intact. Nirrti managed to alter Jonas' brain chemistry and leave his body intact so I'd say the Asgard could manipulate their bodies and leave their brain intact. Who knows though?

Yeah, if they are manipulating their DNA, there wouldn't be anything to stop them from picking and choosing what it is they want to change.
+Quote Post
Lancelot
post Mar 18th 2007, 1:19 PM
Post #70

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,650

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Mar 18th 2007, 5:19 PM) *

Yeah, if they are manipulating their DNA, there wouldn't be anything to stop them from picking and choosing what it is they want to change.

the asguard can already manipulate their dna it has been mentioned several times in the show
in fact it was on the episode that we found out that the asgaurd are clones that hemdall?
mentioned it
+Quote Post
Protoziggy90
post Mar 18th 2007, 1:39 PM
Post #71

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Not that the discussion isn't interesting, but it sorta just struck me how pointless this thread is now...

Anyways, I forgot about the DNA manipulation we saw with Jonas and in light of such, I'm sure it would be pretty easy to make the proper adjustments...
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Mar 18th 2007, 3:43 PM
Post #72

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lancelot @ Mar 18th 2007, 6:19 PM) *
the asguard can already manipulate their dna it has been mentioned several times in the show in fact it was on the episode that we found out that the asgaurd are clones that hemdall? mentioned it
Yes, we know the Asgard can manipulate DNA, it is the cause of the problem they had. The Ancient DNA manipulator is different, it can change the DNA of someone. The Asgard can't maniplulate the DNA of a living, breathing clone. They have to take a sample of DNA, alter it then use it to create more clones. The Ancient device was the answer to the Asgards' problems because the body of each and every clone could be placed in the device and it's DNA altered to fix their genetic problem.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 23rd 2014 - 5:04 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.