Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> About this area

The loitering zone is for discussions about things other than Stargate. Please use the appropriate section when posting, and be sure to read the forum rules.

Loitering Zone Index: Off Topic Chatter | TV, Movies & Music | Computer Talk | Sports Talk | Forum Games

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> college football
togar
post Jan 5th 2006, 1:42 AM
Post #1

Captain
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,212

ok, i dont follow football, so i dont really know how the college system works, but how is it that a team that is one of the higherst teams play a team that is many places behind them in a bowl game? shouldnt it be like #1 vs #2 for the championship, then #3vs #4 for the next, and so on...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SG1Papa
post Jan 5th 2006, 6:17 PM
Post #2

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,096

It is 1 vs 2 (BCS Rankings)

The Bowls get to choose teams and the teams can say 'No' to a bowl. 3 and 4 this year were both Big 10 teams. It would not be a big draw, so these 2 teams ended in different bowl games. Basically, the bowls, except the championship, try to get the best teams with the best matchup that will get the best tv ratings, etc
+Quote Post
togar
post Jan 5th 2006, 7:05 PM
Post #3

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,212

so, the teams skill doesnt matter, its all about how they can make the most money?
+Quote Post
GoVols
post Jun 11th 2006, 3:24 AM
Post #4

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,546

No.

College football is divided into a few confrences. The SEC (Tennessee, Bama, Florida, Auburn, LSU) ACC (FSU, Miami, VaTech) Big 10 (Penn St., Ohio St., Michigan) Pac-10 (USC, UCLA, Oregon) And Notre Dame who is not affiliated.

These are most of the big name teams from big time confrences. (The big east sucks now because its 3 best teams left for the ACC)

Each confrence has a bowl tie in. And the BCS gets its pick of all three.

For exapmls, the Citrus Bowl. They get the second team from the SEC, and usually a top Big-10 team, but not always.

Every big bowl has a confrence tie in, at least one. They often pick another team that will make an intresting game from a historical perspective.

Example, the 2001 Citrus Bowl featured Tennessee vs Michigan. Michigan, i believe is the winningst program of all time, Tennessee is the winningest program sence 1928. Michigan and Tennessee both boast over 100,000 seat stadiums and teater back and forth over who is bigger, although i believe Michigan has regaind the lead, and will keep it. Both are historicly top programs. They had never playd togather. So the Citrus bowl knew there would be a good matchup

Tennessee was 1 bad half of football from playing for a National title. Michigan was having an OK season only, but it was an intriging match up. Tennessee won by 20 points or more, Great game.
+Quote Post
mithwriter
post Nov 11th 2006, 6:09 PM
Post #5

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 885

Rutgers is 9-0.

Rutgers...the University 5 minutes from my house where you could'nt give football tickets away for the last, oh....30 years....

Pinch me, I think I'm dreaming biggrin.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 22nd 2014 - 6:37 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.