Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate SG-1: General Discussion

This area is for general discussion of Stargate SG-1 only. SG-1 spoilers belong in the Spoilers & Speculation section. There are separate categories for Stargate Atlantis Discussion and Stargate Universe Discussion. Complete forum rules are available here.

SG-1 Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

7 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The hyperspace topic, part 2
JTMAG1
post Jan 31st 2007, 12:58 AM
Post #121

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,251

That is exactly how hyperspace was explained to you. It's ok not to understand. Mind you, I was saying that the idea of compressing the universe was "not" hyperspace from the begining.

The teacher is the problem when the studentS don't get it. When one student doesn't get it... it's a different story. Please stop over using the whitsling face. It's becoming cliche and not longer has much meaning since everyone is putting it after every single post,and putting 3 in a row.

What is your source for this information. I don't think it's 100% correct. Specifically
Hyperspace is any region of space co-existing with our own universe (in some cases displaced in an extra spatial dimension) which may be entered using some sort of energy field or space-altering device.

I wouldn't call any parallel region of space hyperspace. That would limit us to two regions of space. That is essentially saying that every region of space that is not normal space is hyperspace. Like Marv said earlier, hyperspace is related to subspace, but the region of space contained by the ZPM is not considered hyperspace. Even though energy is used to access it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Janos
post Jan 31st 2007, 1:12 AM
Post #122

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,403

QUOTE(mikmil2003 @ Jan 30th 2007, 10:38 PM) *

If student has hard time to understand - maybe part of the problem is teacher. Don't you think.

No, I remember way back in school.... some students were just dumbasses.
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Jan 31st 2007, 1:17 AM
Post #123

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(Janos @ Jan 31st 2007, 1:12 AM) *

No, I remember way back in school.... some students were just dumbasses.

You are so much more eloquent than I Janos, I aspire to be like you when I grow up. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Jan 31st 2007, 1:18 AM
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Jan 31st 2007, 1:22 AM
Post #124

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

QUOTE(mikmil2003 @ Jan 31st 2007, 7:38 AM) *

Another attribute of hyperspace is that it enables time-travel. For example, one observer might interpret the journey as traveling into the future, another as with the present, and another as into the past, and all three may report some sort of movement in space.

Oh look, time travel with hyperspace. I haven't seen one of those since 1991, although I haven't seen in 1991, I know it was conceived in that year. I guess that some ideas go into cycle from time to time. I'll tell why this is wrong:

We don't use normal space-time, we are not bound to relativity, we break the speed limit of the universe without traveling to the future or in the past. Like I said, to obtain time travel, we need to avoid hyperspace. whistling.gif
+Quote Post
SGC: Gen. Hazza Mazza
post Apr 12th 2007, 11:03 PM
Post #125

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,625

hyperspace here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperspace_%2...ence_fiction%29
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Apr 13th 2007, 2:56 AM
Post #126

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(SGC: Gen. Hazza Mazza @ Apr 13th 2007, 7:03 AM) *

So... There is no mention how hyperspace works in Stargate there. Or no mention of modern theories of how it should work hypothetically. You should read this thread before you try to negate so many posts. dry.gif
+Quote Post
post Apr 13th 2007, 4:44 AM
Post #127

Airman
Group Icon

ok i'll change my words abit so it does not negate so many posts, after all i had no intention of hurting anyone so deeply.

More information on hyperspace in science fiction and the theories of hyperspace in science fiction can be found here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperspace_%2...ence_fiction%29
this link also provides ideas of where other information can be sought on the topic of hyperspace, one of these sources is world renowned physicist ad futurist Michio Kaku who has worked on theories on hyperspace and has also written a book on hyperspace called Hyperspace: A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the Tenth Dimension , of which some people might be interested in reading.
+Quote Post
Janos
post Apr 13th 2007, 8:26 AM
Post #128

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,403

QUOTE(SGC: Gen. Hazza Mazza @ Apr 13th 2007, 3:44 AM) *

one of these sources is world renowned physicist ad futurist Michio Kaku who has worked on theories on hyperspace and has also written a book on hyperspace called Hyperspace: A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the Tenth Dimension , of which some people might be interested in reading.

That book is not about Hyperspace, it's a book that explains a lot of current Physics theories in layman's terms.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Apr 13th 2007, 8:34 AM
Post #129

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Janos @ Apr 13th 2007, 4:26 PM) *

That book is not about Hyperspace, it's a book that explains a lot of current Physics theories in layman's terms.

I wouldn't know. I haven't read the book yet. I've been searching everywhere for it, because everyone talks about it.

I still think that Hazza Mazza should read every post in this thread before posting any further. 1.gif
+Quote Post
post Apr 13th 2007, 9:22 AM
Post #130

Airman
Group Icon

thats Gen. Hazza Mazza 2 you mate
i cnt be stuffed reading every post neways

and you can buy the book here http://www.amazon.com/Hyperspace-Scientifi...3578&sr=8-1

there is also this book 2 http://www.amazon.com/Parallel-Worlds-Jour...3578&sr=8-5

QUOTE(Janos @ Apr 13th 2007, 11:26 PM) *

well an understanding in hyperspace can only be understood by firstly understanding the physics behind that kind of stuff.

This post has been edited by SGC: Gen. Hazza Mazza: Apr 13th 2007, 9:17 AM
+Quote Post
thefirstone
post Apr 13th 2007, 9:24 AM
Post #131

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,686

But if you don't bother acknoweledging other people's posts why should we care about what you have to say?
+Quote Post
post Apr 13th 2007, 9:30 AM
Post #132

Airman
Group Icon

QUOTE(thefirstone @ Apr 14th 2007, 12:24 AM) *

But if you don't bother acknoweledging other people's posts why should we care about what you have to say?

i respect that they have an opinion and they have made a post, i just cant be bothered going back and reading 100+ posts that killmarv is saying to do, ok i'm new i'll read 10or15, but ALL OF THEM, get real... i have a life i need to live to uknow smile.gif

now if u dont mind i'm going to go watch a few eps of atlantis and go 2 sleep cya l8trs.

This post has been edited by SGC: Gen. Hazza Mazza: Apr 13th 2007, 9:34 AM
+Quote Post
thefirstone
post Apr 13th 2007, 9:35 AM
Post #133

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Its only 6 pages try reading the first topic on this like I had to. It was more than 1000 posts, I think.

This post has been edited by thefirstone: Apr 13th 2007, 9:35 AM
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Apr 13th 2007, 9:45 AM
Post #134

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

QUOTE(SGC: Gen. Hazza Mazza @ Apr 13th 2007, 3:22 PM) *
The fact that he didn't include the Gen. part of your username bothers you why?

i just cant be bothered going back and reading 100+ posts that killmarv is saying to do, ok i'm new i'll read 10or15, but ALL OF THEM, get real... i have a life i need to live to uknow
All of us have lives to live but it doesn't alter the fact we read the posts in a thread before we post or in your case post an irrelevent link.
+Quote Post
thefirstone
post Apr 13th 2007, 9:55 AM
Post #135

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

I guess 20 mins to half an hour reading them might kill him.

Heres something that been bothering me and hope that one of you can put me at ease:

Since hyperspace is another dimension, when were going through it do we occupy 5 dimensions(including time) or would we have to disregard a dimension? Because I read that theoretically if we occupy 4 dimensions(not including time) that the affect of gravity is altered is such a way that planets could spiral towards their neighbouring star or fly of somewhere else.

Or would their be no effect of gravity really in a window? Please someone clarify because I think I interepted it the wrong way and its wrecking my head. thanks in advance.
+Quote Post
post Apr 13th 2007, 10:04 AM
Post #136

Airman
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Apr 14th 2007, 12:45 AM) *

The fact that he didn't include the Gen. part of your username bothers you why?

u need 2 relax a little, getting a bit defensive
i was joking, it dosent bother me, and it wasnt an irrelavent link, he said that he's been looking for the book and i just told him where 2 find it.

lol biggrin.gif and 2 think all this sh*t started from 2words and a link... ok its over can every body just continue and get on with the hyperspace topic...and ok i will read more posts from now on...and this senseless arguing should just stop as it says in the rules, eventhough i love to argue i would rather talk about stargate...now is that ok with you guys? smile.gif
+Quote Post
thefirstone
post Apr 13th 2007, 10:10 AM
Post #137

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Your original post was the one targetted, not the link to the book. Since you're new, it is very hard to know when you're kidding about your name and how was Daf being defensive? From my perspective, it was the other way around.

This post has been edited by thefirstone: Apr 13th 2007, 10:11 AM
+Quote Post
post Apr 13th 2007, 10:11 AM
Post #138

Airman
Group Icon

there are 11dimensions a great documentary for this is BBC's parallel universes which also explains the string theory the M theory and all the dimentions

This post has been edited by SGC: Gen. Hazza Mazza: Apr 13th 2007, 10:18 AM
+Quote Post
thefirstone
post Apr 13th 2007, 10:14 AM
Post #139

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

But how does that piece from the string theory make the rest of the link relevent to the stargate universe?

EDIT: Alternate universes have nothing to do with alternate dimensions.

This post has been edited by thefirstone: Apr 13th 2007, 10:15 AM
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Apr 13th 2007, 10:59 AM
Post #140

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(SGC: Gen. Hazza Mazza @ Apr 13th 2007, 5:22 PM) *

i cnt be stuffed reading every post neways

and you can buy the book here http://www.amazon.com/Hyperspace-Scientifi...3578&sr=8-1

there is also this book 2 http://www.amazon.com/Parallel-Worlds-Jour...3578&sr=8-5
well an understanding in hyperspace can only be understood by firstly understanding the physics behind that kind of stuff.

Yes, that option always exists, but not for me. I am in the impossibility of using a credit card right now, and I have to find a real shop to buy it from, since I have to pay with cash.

Firstone, hyperspace would not disregard time. You would actually occupy all 11 dimensions, as you are doing this right now. But you are static in most of them. In hyperspace you would be a dynamic object in the 3 dimensions of space, in time and in one of the 3 dimensions of subspace.
+Quote Post
thefirstone
post Apr 13th 2007, 1:55 PM
Post #141

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Sweet thanks a mil, Marv. That was wrecking my head for a while and didn't think it would end up that simple.
+Quote Post
strikeomen
post Aug 18th 2007, 6:24 AM
Post #142

Civilian
Group Icon

Group: New Members
Member No.: 14,802

For a while now i was wondering why give the f-302 a hyperdrive and heres why. Yes while it can trvel faster it is pointless because you can not travvel to another planet whithing mimuents and i dont think the f-302 has surplies and sufficiant life surport to travel even to the closets of planets if you know why it was given a hyperdrive please let me know.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Aug 18th 2007, 7:11 AM
Post #143

Major General
Group Icon

QUOTE(strikeomen @ Aug 18th 2007, 2:24 PM) *

For a while now i was wondering why give the f-302 a hyperdrive and heres why. Yes while it can trvel faster it is pointless because you can not travvel to another planet whithing mimuents and i dont think the f-302 has surplies and sufficiant life surport to travel even to the closets of planets if you know why it was given a hyperdrive please let me know.

The F-302 doesn't have a hyperdrive. The X-302 prototype had one, but since it was highly unstable, they stripped it off from the F-302 mass production.

Now, with your points:

1. Yes, it would be faster.
2. It wouldn't need much time to travel to the closest planet if the hyperdrive would be of quality. It would get there fast enough to not require too much life support or supplies (a few hours).

The reason why it is pointless is because the Stargate can take the quantity of men that an F-302 can carry much faster to another planet. If I wanna take a crew of 300 people to another planet and have fire support, I use the Prometheus, Daedalus or Odyssey. If I wanna take a team of 2 to another planet, I use the damn Stargate. 1.gif

This post has been edited by KillerMarv: Aug 18th 2007, 7:12 AM
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Aug 18th 2007, 7:22 AM
Post #144

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Aug 18th 2007, 1:11 PM) *
The reason why it is pointless is because the Stargate can take the quantity of men that an F-302 can carry much faster to another planet. If I wanna take a crew of 300 people to another planet and have fire support, I use the Prometheus, Daedalus or Odyssey. If I wanna take a team of 2 to another planet, I use the damn Stargate. 1.gif
Using the 302 as a transport in that way, yes it is useless but using the hyperdrive to intercept enemy ships before they reach Earth is the real point behind a hyperdrive on the X-302. Take the finale of season 1, Apophis and Klorel exit hyperspace around Saturn. If Earth had had access to a X-302 at that point, they wouldn't have needed to wait for the Ha'taks to reach Earth's orbit. The X-302 was never meant to be used to to ferry people between planets, it was meant to be used as an interstellar interceptor.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 19th 2014 - 11:33 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.