Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> News Info

You can always read the latest 20 news stories at: www.sg1archive.com/news

Tip: Receive the latest Stargate news via email by subscribing to this forum.

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Claudia Black Joins Regular Cast of Stargate SG-1!, Vala Mal Doran
Invisible Painting
post Nov 23rd 2005, 4:27 PM
Post #25

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(Ilzy @ Nov 23rd 2005, 8:37 AM)
I wouldn't worry so much if I were you. I believe the TPTB will tone down Vala because her present style of speech and jokes would be too hard to maintain for a whole season!

Well theyll kinda have to make her a slightly better good guy. I mean lets face it for the 6 episode she was in (dont read if you havent really seen them) the team didnt really want her there. They didnt like her and the only reason she was with them is because of the band. And although this did change slightly as the show went on. It still isnt at the point where they want her to be part of sg1.

QUOTE(Raz @ Nov 23rd 2005, 3:04 PM)
Well if they wanted it so badly they should have had a proper series, and not a miniseries. If it was so great Sci Fi would have invested in a full 20 eps or more to please the massive fan base that wants it back so badly.
Dafmeister is correct, Farscape really didn't cut it over here in the UK. I think it was broadcast on our version of the Sci-Fi channel and it just didn't seem to get off the ground. Its not a bad series, but it can't touch Stargate. And actually Daf I don't think it went to terrestrial, maybe BBC 3.

Farscape was shown on BBC 2 at one point, but the words 'at one point' do stand tall in that. BBC3 still show it i believe (at least i saw they were showing it about 6 months ago, dont knwo about now) And sci fi channel show it too. (But lets face it they have nothing else smile.gif) I never really heard of it much but the fact that it was on BBC2 at one point probably suggests that it did have a relative size fanbase. Never caught onto it myself though, although i did think it was sh*t. smile.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Major Jay Carter
post Nov 24th 2005, 6:41 AM
Post #26

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,131

YES WOOOOO ITS GREAT TO BE ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. that rules that she's gunna be on! she is such a good character! and the friction between her and daniel! *but thats for a different thead* biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Elan_Morin
post Nov 27th 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #27

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,301

QUOTE(Ilzy @ Nov 23rd 2005, 4:37 AM)
I was thinking when someone finally will say that one  wink.gif Poor Danny - the irritator Nr1 is back in the game! Daniel is usually so nice and able to make conversations even with rocks but Vala brings out a part of him that noone else can. Mean Daniel really is something new, isn't he?

No, I don't think that's the case. I woun't say Daniel is mean, so much as irritated since Vala seems to be able to push all his buttons quicker than anyone else ever has. Even with O'Neill, the conflict was philosophically based, so Daniel wasn't angry so much as in unbelievable shock at what O'Neill was willing to do. With Vala, she annoys him just for the sake of annoying him because she knows she can, and she has fun with it. And it keeps him on his toes.

And yes, she would make a good love interest for Daniel. With the romantic aspect of the show eliminated (for the most part) without O'Neill, it removes an aspect that has been existent in the show for too long and taking it away will ruin the show. Plus it could make some great stories. And let's face it. He needs a woman that isn't going to be taken as a host or die on him.

QUOTE(Ilzy @ Nov 23rd 2005, 4:37 AM)
I wouldn't worry so much if I were you. I believe the TPTB will tone down Vala because her present style of speech and jokes would be too hard to maintain for a whole season!

Again, I don't quite agree with this. Her present style of speech and jokes is without a doubt the reason she has become popular enough to add as a regular to the cast. To tone it down would be a mistake. I think they won't tone it down so much as add more to her so that the jokes and speech is fluffed with other facets of her personality.
+Quote Post
Ilzy
post Nov 28th 2005, 12:17 AM
Post #28

First Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,299

QUOTE(Elan_Morin @ Nov 28th 2005, 7:00 AM)
No, I don't think that's the case. I woun't say Daniel is mean, so much as irritated since Vala seems to be able to push all his buttons quicker than anyone else ever has. Even with O'Neill, the conflict was philosophically based, so Daniel wasn't angry so much as in unbelievable shock at what O'Neill was willing to do. With Vala, she annoys him just for the sake of annoying him because she knows she can, and she has fun with it. And it keeps him on his toes.

But you can't deny that this irriatation makes him act in a very un-nice way (could've also said mean smile.gif) towards Vala. Phrases like "Less talk more shut the hell up" aren't polite in any way! In the last episode with Vala Daniel didn't even let her talk which if opposed to his usual tolerant and nice self is quite unusual.
On the other hand they remind me of how boys and girls at the age of about 10 years tease each other and pull each other's stings (so to say) as a way of showing that they like each other rolleyes.gif

Again, I don't quite agree with this. Her present style of speech and jokes is without a doubt the reason she has become popular enough to add as a regular to the cast. To tone it down would be a mistake. I think they won't tone it down so much as add more to her so that the jokes and speech is fluffed with other facets of her personality.

Yes, but not all people like this Vala-style. I for one liked her for 5 episodes but if a whole season would go like that the jokes would be too much. So what I think the TPTB will do is show new aspects of her personality (as you said) but also use less jokes and make her fit in more with the team. When she left it was ovbious that the other SG-1 members didn't see her as a part of the team and wanted to get rid of her as soon as there wasn't risk of Daniel dying. So something has to be changed about Valas' character to make her stay for good.
+Quote Post
droid327
post Nov 28th 2005, 4:49 AM
Post #29

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,306

QUOTE(Raz @ Nov 22nd 2005, 3:26 AM)
Although I might enjoy a FEW of the episodes containing the new lot, is it just me or does it seem like Stargate SG-1 is taking in actors from a series that just wasn't wanted on Sci-Fi? Stargate is adopting, so if ur a failed actor from any other sci-fi series or hell any other series apply now!

Failed actors and unwanted series isnt fair...SG1 has had guest or star actors from all these sci-fi franchises:

Farscape
ST TNG (Colm Meaney, John DeLancie)
ST DS1 (Rene Auberjonois)
ST Voyager (Robert Picardo)
ST Enterprise (Jolene Blalock)
X-Files (Smoking Man, Mitch Kupachiak (sp) on SGA)
Firefly (from what i heard? i never saw firefly)
Enemy Mine (Louis Gosset Jr.)
Terminator (if you want to count Robert Patrick in the SGA pilot)

And I'm sure I'm forgetting lots. Not to mention countless other prolific character actors like Wallace Shawn, and of course the elder DeLuise, that arent from the sci-fi milieu...I'd love to see Brad Dourif get a recurring role, btw smile.gif

My point is just that SG1 isnt becoming a cameo gimmick show, its just drawn good actors from other shows that have a good recognizability with SG1's existing audience, and the actors are doing a good job. I'd be more upset if they tried bringing in an actor from a non-scifi show that was obviously just a ploy to bring over viewers from their previous show.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Nov 28th 2005, 7:16 AM
Post #30

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Vala wont be toned down much. If it was then it wouldnt really be her. Vala generally does what works for her, what can benefit her. I reckon theyll just make her want to become one of us so her interests will be ours too. So anything that she does do decievingly will be for our benefit as well as hers, as shes one of us now. I believe if they do this it will make it acceptable to have her part of sg1 both from the fans POV and the rest of the team.
Vala does bring out a different side of daniel, one that is in him but we dont see it surface much, and i think it is a good thing as it helps his character evolve and shows a new side of him. They have a good relationship and one that will be good too see develop in the future.
I also think (beachhead spoilers)
Click for Spoiler
The team will have to accept her, that is a fact or else it just wouldnt work. But i hope vala isnt toned down, shes great as she is.
+Quote Post
Ziu
post Nov 28th 2005, 7:33 AM
Post #31

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,813

QUOTE(invisible painting @ Nov 28th 2005, 7:16 AM)
Vala wont be toned down much. If it was then it wouldnt really be her. Vala generally does what works for her, what can benefit her. I reckon theyll just make her want to become one of us so her interests will be ours too. So anything that she does do decievingly will be for our benefit as well as hers, as shes one of us now. I believe if they do this it will make it acceptable to have her part of sg1 both from the fans POV and the rest of the team.
Vala does bring out a different side of daniel, one that is in him but we dont see it surface much, and i think it is a good thing as it helps his character evolve and shows a new side of him. They have a good relationship and one that will be good too see develop in the future.
I also think (beachhead spoilers)
Click for Spoiler
The team will have to accept her, that is a fact or else it just wouldnt work. But i hope vala isnt toned down, shes great as she is.

I agree with 100%. As I have said on several occasions, a 5-member team will be great for new and exciting stories. If necessary they can have one or two members go on a seperate mission, but with the same goal in one episode.

For all the nay-sayers: Give the SG-1 5-member team a chance before crucifying the idea. king.gif
+Quote Post
Auntie Em!
post Nov 28th 2005, 5:10 PM
Post #32

Sipping on fine wine!
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 8,565

Zui I do not think anyone is upset about a 5 member team but rather a 4 member team. Daniel, Teal'c, Cam and Vala.....with Carter being just so much trash that she is pushed to the side.

Personally I would love the 5 member team with all of them. It would open so much excitment. It would open it up for Carter as well. But I do not think this is what they have planned for Sg-1.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Nov 28th 2005, 5:14 PM
Post #33

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Auntie Em! @ Nov 28th 2005, 10:10 PM)
Zui I do not think anyone is upset about a 5 member team but rather a 4 member team. Daniel, Teal'c, Cam and Vala.....with Carter being just so much trash that she is pushed to the side.

Personally I would love the 5 member team with all of them. It would open so much excitment. It would open it up for Carter as well. But I do not think this is what they have planned for Sg-1.

Im not sure about that now, i think theyll just throw her back in there again still not really sure what to do with her. I dont think theyll go ahead with the atlantis idea anymore (based only on guesswork may i just add) So i think there will be the 5 of them, purely because people do want her back/there. But i dont know what theyll do with her. Its possible that theyll just keep her in her current role but, well see.

This post has been edited by invisible painting: Nov 28th 2005, 5:14 PM
+Quote Post
Auntie Em!
post Nov 28th 2005, 5:16 PM
Post #34

Sipping on fine wine!
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,565

It could be two girls against the 3 guys. It could be so much fun and Vala could bring something out of Carter. Vala could be the role of what they did to Carter over the past 4 or 5 years and leave Kickass Carter availuable. It could be so much fun.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Nov 28th 2005, 5:22 PM
Post #35

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

I agree with Invisble, I dont think they would be able to do much with Carter even if Vala was a fifth member. What little interaction there was between them in 'The Powers That Be' wasnt exactly friendly banter. Sam pretty much dismissed Vala as soon as she found out Vala was going along with them on the mission.
+Quote Post
Ziu
post Nov 28th 2005, 6:41 PM
Post #36

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,813

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Nov 28th 2005, 5:22 PM)
I agree with Invisble, I dont think they would be able to do much with Carter even if Vala was a fifth member. What little interaction there was between them in 'The Powers That Be' wasnt exactly friendly banter. Sam pretty much dismissed Vala as soon as she found out Vala was going along with them on the mission.

That's just the nature of the female beast. One female gets all the attention. Two females have to compete for attention.
It definitely could be a lot of fun.
On the other hand, it could be that Amanda wants to spend more time with her daughter, the same way RDA went. king.gif
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Nov 28th 2005, 6:50 PM
Post #37

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ziu @ Nov 28th 2005, 11:41 PM)
On the other hand, it could be that Amanda wants to spend more time with her daughter, the same way RDA went.
Amanda lives in Vancouver and has a nanny on set that looks after her daughter when she is filming.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Nov 28th 2005, 7:16 PM
Post #38

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ziu @ Nov 28th 2005, 11:41 PM)
That's just the nature of the female beast. One female gets all the attention. Two females have to compete for attention.
On the other hand, it could be that Amanda wants to spend more time with her daughter, the same way RDA went. king.gif

As daf said but also the problem is with the producers on this one. Not the actress, AT wants to sign up fully, and has. Its just that the producers are being funny with her character. Hopefully both will be on but thats no garuntees.

And ill also add that when vala is in it again sam will probably be more acceptable to her (beachhead)
Click for Spoiler
+Quote Post
xayeidemon
post Nov 28th 2005, 8:31 PM
Post #39

Always a cousin, never a boochi!
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,544

QUOTE(Ziu @ Nov 28th 2005, 6:41 PM)

Not really. That would get old and boring, and I wouldn't want to tune in every week to see Vala and Sam competing with each other. They're going to be on the same team. What logical sense does it make to have the females competing for attention, an idea that I as a woman find insulting and childish?

They can butt heads, sure. That's to be expected. But competing for attention? That's ridiculous, and I'm pretty sure it won't be tolerated on a military team.
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Nov 28th 2005, 8:37 PM
Post #40

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,411

QUOTE(xayeidemon @ Nov 28th 2005, 8:31 PM)
They can butt heads, sure. That's to be expected. But competing for attention? That's ridiculous, and I'm pretty sure it won't be tolerated on a military team.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If anyone's gonna get into a catfight, it's gotta be Cameron and Daniel 1.gif
+Quote Post
Janos
post Nov 28th 2005, 9:21 PM
Post #41

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,403

Wouldn't that be a cockfight? biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Janos: Nov 28th 2005, 9:22 PM
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Nov 28th 2005, 9:27 PM
Post #42

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,411

QUOTE(Janos @ Nov 28th 2005, 9:21 PM)
Wouldn't that be a cockfight?? biggrin.gif

Welllllll, maybe...kinda...sorta. Okay, how about a pissing contest?? 1.gif
Besides, you guys are always trying to show off your...um...stuff.

This post has been edited by wonderland: Nov 28th 2005, 9:30 PM
+Quote Post
Goa'uld
post Nov 28th 2005, 10:24 PM
Post #43

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,288

QUOTE(Ziu @ Nov 28th 2005, 7:33 AM)
I agree with 100%. As I have said on several occasions, a 5-member team will be great for new and exciting stories. If necessary they can have one or two members go on a seperate mission, but with the same goal in one episode.

For all the nay-sayers: Give the SG-1 5-member team a chance before crucifying the idea. king.gif

I don't have a problem with a 5 person team, but I do have a problem with Vala. I just don't think they can make her act like that on a regular basis. It will eventually get old, and will draw attention away from the rest of the team. They keep bringing in new people, and I thought they would learn not to do that after they brought in Jonas, but no, they have to keep bringing in new characters even though they don't need to replace anybody. It just doesn't make sense to me. If they want a 5 person team, they should bring someone that has been with the show for a while, not bring in a bunch of new people.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Nov 29th 2005, 4:46 AM
Post #44

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Goa'uld @ Nov 29th 2005, 3:24 AM)
they have to keep bringing in new characters even though they don't need to replace anybody.
What would have happened then if they hadnt brought Ben Browder and Claudia Black in for season 9? The first 5 episodes wouldnt have happened since Vala was a major part to them and there wouldbe no SG1 since Daniel would have gone to Atlantis and Teal'c would still be on Dakara with the new Jaffa Nation. If Ben and Claudia hadnt been signed up then season 9 wouldnt have gone ahead.

If they want a 5 person team, they should bring someone that has been with the show for a while, not bring in a bunch of new people.
Like who?

+Quote Post
Janos
post Nov 29th 2005, 6:56 AM
Post #45

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Nov 29th 2005, 2:46 AM)
What would have happened then if they hadnt brought Ben Browder and Claudia Black in for season 9? The first 5 episodes wouldnt have happened since Vala was a major part to them and there wouldbe no SG1 since Daniel would have gone to Atlantis and Teal'c would still be on Dakara with the new Jaffa Nation. If Ben and Claudia hadnt been signed up then season 9 wouldnt have gone ahead.

And we wouldn't have pissed off yet another extremely advanced race hell-bent on our destruction rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Nov 29th 2005, 11:43 AM
Post #46

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(xayeidemon @ Nov 29th 2005, 1:31 AM)
What logical sense does it make to have the females competing for attention, an idea that I as a woman find insulting and childish?

Oh, theyll probably do it then smile.gif

QUOTE(Goa'uld @ Nov 29th 2005, 3:24 AM)
I don't have a problem with a 5 person team, but I do have a problem with Vala.  I just don't think they can make her act like that on a regular basis.  It will eventually get old, and will draw attention away from the rest of the team.  They keep bringing in new people, and I thought they would learn not to do that after they brought in Jonas, but no, they have to keep bringing in new characters even though they don't need to replace anybody.  It just doesn't make sense to me.  If they want a 5 person team, they should bring someone that has been with the show for a while, not bring in a bunch of new people.

Vala has been with the show for a while. Shes been a guest star ever since the second half of season 8. Theyre not bringing in someone brand new.
I know they did that with Ben Browder but that worked out, they needed someone new in the team. If they hadnt have done that it would just be sam daniel and tealc on sg1. That wouldnt have worked, if they hadnt have brought in vala and mitchell...and Landry and Lamm they would have just had tealc and daniel in the first 5 episodes. And the show wouldnt have worked..
Also jonas was needed to come in, maybe not him but someone did need to fill in the role.
+Quote Post
Janos
post Nov 29th 2005, 3:11 PM
Post #47

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

You know, I'd like to see more of what happened to Jonas after the big drill saved the planet. Things must be getting kinda borning on Kelowona....
+Quote Post
linda_lol
post Nov 29th 2005, 9:29 PM
Post #48

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,933

You know, I'd like to see more of what happened to Jonas after the big drill saved the planet. Things must be getting kinda borning on Kelowona....

Yeah, let's get Jonas into the picture. I love him too.

Whoa, so a permanent Vala? Heck yes, finally, some comedy into the show. She's so funny, a very smart move for Stargate. Though, like I said, I miss Jonas. Can we have him back too?
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 21st 2014 - 3:52 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.