Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate Atlantis: Spoilers & Speculation

This area is for Atlantis spoilers. There are separate categories for SG-1 Spoilers and Universe Spoilers. Complete forum rules are available here.

Atlantis Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nukes, Wraith and Hyperspace..., Join them together and you have a recipe
Dagwood
post Aug 29th 2005, 12:10 PM
Post #1

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,887

when the Daedelus went to intercept the Hive ships and nuke a couple of them could they have done a better job?

why not pick the point in space they will exit hyperspace and detonate a nuke just as they arrive?

surely this would create a problem with exiting hyperspace properly...

I understand the biggest problem would be predicting exactly where they exit hyperspace...but this could be over come by patterning their previous exits in the short jumps they make to get somewhere

theories?....rebuttals?....questions?...hate mail?

discuss it all here

and I looked 3 pages deep for a similar discussion....so if there was one prior to that I'd just be yelled at for digging up an old dead thread ...as it stands I'll just be yelled at for making a new one of an old dead thread

This post has been edited by Dagwood: Aug 29th 2005, 12:25 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Stargate Master
post Aug 29th 2005, 12:30 PM
Post #2

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,193

I think the Daedalus did a pretty good job with the Nukes. You have to keep in mind that there were a lot of hive ships and even a timed attack when just coming out of hyper-space might not destroy the majority.

This post has been edited by Stargate Master: Aug 29th 2005, 2:59 PM
+Quote Post
Dagwood
post Aug 29th 2005, 12:39 PM
Post #3

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Stargate Master @ Aug 29th 2005, 12:30 PM)
I think the Daedalus did a pretty good job with the Nukes. You have to keep in mind that there a lot of hive ships and even a timed attack when just coming out of hyper-space might not destroy the majority.

absolutely.....we have 0 way of knowing if it would destroy even one

maybe a shockwave sent back through hyperspace to the ship just exiting would be thrown off trajectory?....sending them a couple light years off path thus giving the Daedelous enough time to deal with the ones at hand

no doubt that if half of their force doesn't show up to the party or at least a little late it would help the Atlantis teams chances

another thing...did you notice the way the hive mind worked against them beaming the nukes aboard?....do we assume that any one tactic such as this is destined to be compensated for due to them being to think as one and act as one?

this may also have been a problem the ancients had with them....they were too Borglike

This post has been edited by Dagwood: Aug 29th 2005, 12:40 PM
+Quote Post
Aussie_Bloke
post Aug 30th 2005, 5:43 AM
Post #4

First Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,259

Hmmmmm....yeah kinda like the replicators huh? -As soon as you use a new technology against them...they absorb it. At least the Wraith are not capable of turning their shitty beam tech into something like the Asgard's.

I reckon the Big D did a pretty good job...two hives was more than i thought it would get on the counter attack.
+Quote Post
gland
post Aug 30th 2005, 1:37 PM
Post #5

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,910

What I'm wondering is weather or not the Hive Ship shields would neutralize most effects of an explosion that takes place outside of them. Remember that the Daedelis targeted the hanger bays because they would produce secondary explosions that would disable the ships.
+Quote Post
Dagwood
post Aug 31st 2005, 1:22 AM
Post #6

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

I wondered this myself...

would a nuke set right outside their sheilds would do just as much damage?

if their shields are as slow as their hyperdrives then it may well take them out just the same

+Quote Post
ha'tak
post Aug 31st 2005, 5:48 PM
Post #7

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,229

QUOTE(Dagwood @ Aug 31st 2005, 1:22 AM)
I wondered this myself...

would a nuke set right outside their sheilds would do just as much damage?

if their shields are as slow as their hyperdrives then it may well take them out just the same

Theres also the fact are their shields active in Hyperspace because even the Asgards aren't. But I think that the Wraith shield could throw off a nuke because even a Ha'tak could.

But would Necular Explosion affect a hyperspace window like it did with the SG1 EP "Matter of Time". In that EP it disabled a wormhole produced by the gate. The real question what would happen to the ships if they were stuck in Hyperspace and their exit was closed. But then in the SG1 EP "Exodus" where the explosion caused by the star sent them way off course. Then again that was when they went into Hyperspace.

I was also thinking what If the Deadalus opend a hyperspace window right in front of the incoming hiveships and took all the hiveships futher away from atlantis like to the other side of the pegasus galaxy. Just imagine the looks on the wraith faces when they just pull out of hypersapce and get pulled into another one that would take them to the other side of their galaxy. When they were so close to getting Atlantis
+Quote Post
frostedpotato
post Aug 31st 2005, 10:44 PM
Post #8

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,031

Im not sure if the Wraiths hiveships ave shields, Sheperd enter in one of them with a PJ. wink.gif
+Quote Post
Dagwood
post Sep 1st 2005, 12:31 AM
Post #9

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

they were shown to have sheilds when the Daedelous was firing on them

as for the PJ entering the hanger maybe they had diverted all power to weapons as they didn't detect any ships about?

but that doesn't work either because they'd know the Alterans had cloaking tech from previous encounters

maybe the cloak nulls the Wraith shields?

as for producing a hyperspace window right in front of them as they exit?...great idea and one I hadn't considered

question is how far ahead can the Daedelous(with the help of Hermoid) extend a window in front of the ship?

This post has been edited by Dagwood: Sep 1st 2005, 12:33 AM
+Quote Post
Yu the great
post Oct 13th 2005, 3:06 AM
Post #10

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,691

I haven't been here in a while (mourning the fall of Lord Yu sniffs). Remember the Asguards didn't use their teleportation beam that way. Shepard just suggested it to make it work when the Dadelous' weapons weren't effective against the wraith hive ships.

I'd like to place a question, how powerful are the Earth Battle Cruisers. They don't seem to be able to beat any other ship. The Prometheus couldn't beat Pyramid ships in the the lost city. It lost in Grace. It couldn't beat a Goauld Al'Kesh during the Russian episode with the Trust. the Dadelous could barely beat a hive ship in a straight battle and it already had Asguard tech on it. If this is in another thread could someone tell me. Thank you.
+Quote Post
Dagwood
post Oct 15th 2005, 12:51 PM
Post #11

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

since season 9 started Promethius is easily a match for a Goa'uld mothership, maybe 2-3, and Daedelus is way better than that
+Quote Post
X303kicksass
post Oct 15th 2005, 3:09 PM
Post #12

First Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,856

QUOTE(Yu the great @ Oct 13th 2005, 3:06 AM)
I haven't been here in a while (mourning the fall of Lord Yu sniffs). Remember the Asguards didn't use their teleportation beam that way. Shepard just suggested it to make it work when the Dadelous' weapons weren't effective against the wraith hive ships.

I'd like to place a question, how powerful are the Earth Battle Cruisers. They don't seem to be able to beat any other ship. The Prometheus couldn't beat Pyramid ships in the the lost city. It lost in Grace. It couldn't beat a Goauld Al'Kesh during the Russian episode with the Trust. the Dadelous could barely beat a hive ship in a straight battle and it already had Asguard tech on it. If this is in another thread could someone tell me. Thank you.

Prometheus could have took on any motherships, it just only went up against Anubis' mothership o' doom in Lost City. Grace, I think that's mainly cause the Captain was a moron in that ep. And the trust episode is cause the 'tactically godlike' captain wanted to leave the shields down till the ship struck, plus they probably had info on Prometheus. And a Hive ship....well it's a damn Hive ship what do you expect? tongue.gif But the thing I noticed most people get wrong, is it wasn't that Daedalus' weapons didn't work on the Hives, it was that Darts were suiciding them before they could get to the ship. But also notice how, when Daedie leaves during the ambush of the second group of Hive ships, it clearly runs right under ships, why not drop a nuke behind...stupid writers whistling.gif

This post has been edited by X303kicksass: Oct 15th 2005, 3:11 PM
+Quote Post
Dagwood
post Oct 15th 2005, 5:20 PM
Post #13

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

I'd forgotten a key element when I made this thread

Nukes are useless against almost everyones shields as evidenced by the time Apophis and Klor'el came to Earth and 2 enriched nukes were sent up and did absolutely nothing against their shields.....the Wraiths are probably about the same

but....my question stands so long as shields are down when in and coming out of hyperspace...a nuke might disrupt the hyperspace window and send them who knows where
+Quote Post
Mister Oragahn
post Oct 16th 2005, 12:49 PM
Post #14

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,085

The goa'uld busters sent by Earth didn't expldoe as planned. The reactants didn't cook off, and the rockets just exploded there.

I don't think a nuke would disrupt anything. A hyperspace window can literally move through planets unimpended.
However, a nuke triggered next to certain ships exiting hyperspace will be a good tactic, notably against ships with weak hulls and slow shield generators.
+Quote Post
ray243
post Oct 18th 2005, 1:46 AM
Post #15

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,843

better idea...if the teleporter used was only allowed to be used once...we can ask the guys at area 51 to try and make our missile short-range hyperspace-capable...just like the F-302, use it to get past shields and the make a cinfirm hit!
+Quote Post
iceman302
post Oct 18th 2005, 7:40 AM
Post #16

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,608

stop trying to attack an enemy who has a strong beachhead.
once they exit hyperspace they have one!!!
thus the easiest way i reckon to destroy a fleet of hive ships is, although i know it won't happen because it would give humans to much dominace over the wraith fleets is to
1. retrofit nukes to be able to be dropped out of the back of D (coz teleporters don't work in hyper space.
2. then enter hyperspace in front of the hive ships
3. in hyperspace it is assumed they they cannot attack us and that sheilds don't work
4. drop the nukes in the hyperspace window right in front of them, then high tail it outta there( we are alot faster then they r).
5. this goes on thors idea of self destructing the daniel jackson to take out the replicator ship.
thus we know that this would work.

to sum it up
pro: we take out a few hive ships
cons: we might be caught in blast, and it may be hard to get in front of a fleet in hyper space otherwise some enlighten me about a con i have missed

again i know this will work but won't be used, to easy for us then
+Quote Post
Mister Oragahn
post Oct 18th 2005, 12:29 PM
Post #17

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,085

Explosions in hyperspace aren't welcome. They tend to get insanely long ranges.
The Daedalus would have to move pretty fast.
+Quote Post
Andorian15
post Oct 18th 2005, 12:37 PM
Post #18

:)
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 8,943

Explosions in hyperspace aren't welcome. They tend to get insanely long ranges.
The Daedalus would have to move pretty fast.

Are you reffering to "small victories pt2," becuase I think it just exited the hyperspace window, and ended up hitting the ships.
+Quote Post
iceman302
post Oct 19th 2005, 2:08 AM
Post #19

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,608

i'm sure hermy could rig big d to be able to engauge the galatic hyperdrive while in a normal hyperspace window.
after all when sam blow up the sun they where in a normal window that turned into an intergalatic window.
i'm not sure but i think thats what happened
+Quote Post
Stargate Master
post Oct 19th 2005, 10:11 AM
Post #20

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,193

QUOTE(iceman302 @ Oct 19th 2005, 8:08 AM)
after all when sam blow up the sun they where in a normal window that turned into an intergalatic window.
i'm not sure but i think thats what happened

No, it was just still a normal hyper-space window. The explosion from Apophis' fleet knocked them off course and gave them a big boost of sorts, that is how they ended up in a different galaxy.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 26th 2014 - 12:13 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.