Rating  4
Athena
post Aug 25th 2005, 8:14 AM
Post #73

Civilian
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,204

You know I've really enjoyed all of the Atlantis episodes so far. McKay has gotten more funny and more neurotic than usual. (Boy, I never realized how cowardly he was.)

With that said, I didn't really like McKay in this episode. I didn't like his arrogance, or his superiority. He really thought he could do no wrong. That there was no one smarter than him - including the Ancients. And because of that arrogance, he almost got Sheppard killed.

However, I am liking Ronon more and more. He is so kickass - the male Teyla. 1.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Circe
post Aug 26th 2005, 1:53 PM
Post #74

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,250

Well I still don?t think McKay was all that bad. Everybody makes mistakes, his was just that he bit off more than he could chew whistling.gif . Why is everyone so surprised at his level of arrogance, its nothing new from the first episode. That?s why I like the character so much, his foibles make him more human. Everybody onSG-1 was so upright and good with no glaring character flaws, people generally aren?t like that. And he didn?t seem remorseful about blowing up the solar system when talking to Wier at the end of the episode because he was trying to save face, he is a prideful man and that?s totally in keeping with his character.

I can?t wait till Tuesday to watch it over again! Best episode EVER
+Quote Post
Mattthegreat995
post Aug 30th 2005, 2:27 AM
Post #75

Airman Basic

Member No.: 10,009

I think this ep could have been better if it had just revolved around Ronon Dex and him finding his mates.
But this ep bored me at some times. Which annoys me a lot because i watch ATlantis to be entertained a lot more than SG-1. But at least SG-1 was good.
Matts Score:
Digital Effects: Wasnt paying attention
Storyline: McKay and Shep-6.2/10. Ronon and Teyla-9.3/10
Entertainement: sigh
+Quote Post
Circe
post Aug 30th 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #76

Senior Airman
Group Icon

QUOTE(Mattthegreat995 @ Aug 30th 2005, 2:27 AM)
I think this ep could have been better if it had just revolved around Ronon Dex and him finding his mates.
But this ep bored me at some times. Which annoys me a lot because i watch ATlantis to be entertained a lot more than SG-1. But at least SG-1 was good.
Matts Score:
Digital Effects: Wasnt paying attention
Storyline: McKay and Shep-6.2/10. Ronon and Teyla-9.3/10
Entertainement: sigh

No way..more Ronan would have been less McKay! ohmy.gif

ALSO- Does anyone know how long it takes a body to decompose? Wouldn?t the bodies have decomposed completely in 10 thousand years? huh.gif

ALSO- who was Dr. Vogal and why did he like pastries so much? huh.gif

This post has been edited by Circe: Aug 30th 2005, 10:31 PM
+Quote Post
kem
post Sep 15th 2005, 9:04 AM
Post #77

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,766

omg... i really hated mckay in this ep...
how could he ... i mean... just thinking about him in this ep makes me furious ph34r.gif

o.k. he has been excited about the machine/weapon/energy source thing, but hey no reason to destroy a solar system

ALSO- Does anyone know how long it takes a body to decompose? Wouldn?t the bodies have decomposed completely in 10 thousand years? huh.gif

i guess yes unless the lab has been without any oxygen, or the weapon kill everything (including bacteria, viruses, etc.) huh.gif but i actually do not know huh.gif
+Quote Post
Christy
post Sep 16th 2005, 11:51 PM
Post #78

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,098

I would have thought that bones would have decomposed...bones do decompose dont they?
+Quote Post
Matman
post Sep 16th 2005, 11:59 PM
Post #79

where's my gameboy...
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 10,164

QUOTE(kem @ Sep 15th 2005, 9:04 AM)
omg... i really hated mckay in this ep...
how could he ... i mean... just thinking about him in this ep makes me furious  ph34r.gif

o.k. he has been excited about the machine/weapon/energy source thing, but hey no reason to destroy a solar system
i guess yes unless the lab has been without any oxygen, or the weapon kill everything (including bacteria, viruses, etc.)  huh.gif but i actually do not know  huh.gif

Yeah he was nuts in this episode, he had to result to begging Sheppard to let him go back, he was just pathetic in this episode.
+Quote Post
Circe
post Sep 26th 2005, 8:33 PM
Post #80

Senior Airman
Group Icon

QUOTE(Christy @ Sep 16th 2005, 11:51 PM)
I would have thought that bones would have decomposed...bones do decompose dont they?

Yes, bones do decompose. Anything organic will decompose eventually.

So, what about Dr.Vogal?McKay said that Shep?s eyes light up like Dr.Vogal at the mention of pastries?.What?s up with that? huh.gif
+Quote Post
Lagger
post Oct 4th 2005, 5:33 AM
Post #81

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,349

U reckon they managed to salvage the plans of that device? or at least the laser cannon that was firing at the end. it fires pretty quickly, and im sure with a bit of tweaking it woulda kicked bum on the dadealus.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Nov 23rd 2005, 4:05 PM
Post #82

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

I thought this was a good episode. The characters seemed a bit out of character to me. Sheppard was an ass in some scenes, as was Caldwell and McKay went back to how he was in SG1. Weir and Teyla were good as they showed they can be hardasses when it is required. One nitpick though, how could the Daedalus' shield withstand the weapon? We have seen the Wraith ships drain it pretty quickly but it could withstand multiple shots from it even though it was supposed to be the most powerful weapon the Ancients had created.
+Quote Post
glom
post Nov 23rd 2005, 4:39 PM
Post #83

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,673

TECHNOBABBLE OF THE WEEK: I had horrible flashbacks of some of Voyager's more illucid episodes when Zelenka mentioned a region of space where the laws of physics don't apply. Shudder!

ATLANTIS UNINTELLIGENCE OF THE WEEK: 1) The Ancients failed to make the technology work. 2) Zelenka says it's a very bad idea. 3) This is possibly the most advanced technology in the universe tapping enormous amounts of power. 4) It has been shown to be potentially unstable. So these things considered, what could compell them to start firing the thing up? Apparently the word of a scientist known to be arrogant and with delusions of grandeur. I don't buy it. McKay does not have a good track record for objective optimism with his crazy schemes. This should never have gone that far.

ATLANTIS UNINTELLIGENCE OF THE WEEK RUNNER-UP: You've got dead Ancients on the flaw that apparently weren't culled. Plague anyone? They could have at least considered that or similar options rather than declaring it a mystery and moving on blindly.

ATLANTIS UNINTELLIGENCE OF THE WEEK SECOND RUNNER-UP: Presumably the Ancient weapon still needs line of sight. Why go straight up and allow a clear view for the weapon to fire at you?

ATLANTIS SUPERINTELLIGENCE OF THE WEEK: The most advanced form of power in the universe and after a time span of what could be no more than a couple of weeks (if that if we take the timeline to be consistent with the B story) the scientists of the Atlantis expedition believe they have solved the mystery. McKay's arrogant, but it's a stretch for him even to believe he knows the science better than the Ancients themselves after finding it days earlier.

ANCIENT UNINTELLIGENCE OF THE WEEK: Where's the big red emergency shutdown button? Good thing Ancient scientists never tried to do anything here. Nuclear reactors have passive safety and even that's not good enough for some.

NEW THERMODYNAMICS OF THE WEEK: If the region of subspace used by the ZPMs is artificial, then where did the energy come from to create it? We're drifting dangerously close to the perpetual motion machine, people.

ENERGY POLICY OF THE WEEK: McKay thinks this machine could be used to replace fossil fuels. Yeah that'll work. It depends on an active containment field to keep the energy under wraps and apparently is inherently unstable (hence why he needs to correct to power spikes). Modern nuclear reactors incorporate passive safety and they're still not good enough for some. Hell hath no fury like a luddite scorned and McKay is about to scorn them.

BLUNT OBJECT OF THE WEEK: The storyline of McKay being humbled after his arrogance causes a near disaster could have been more effective if it wasn't so overly contrived. As I already said, McKay's arrogance is a push even for him and the trust expressed by Weir and Shepherd is too much. Then again, maybe they wanted to see the look on his face when he fails.

NEW GEOGRAPHY OF THE WEEK: Orbital space shrunk a bit. The jumper passed within metres of the Daedalus and the debris field.

NEW TECHNOLOGY OF THE WEEK: Apparently Wraith ships have some functionality even when they've been blown to pieces. Must be like the Wraith arm we saw in the pilot. If the pieces of debris had no power, then how could they have remained in a low orbit for ten thousand years let alone stay clustered.
+Quote Post
blackbelt83
post Feb 3rd 2006, 5:08 PM
Post #84

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,345

I liked this ep. it was cool but rodney is smart I cant belive he thinks he could make something work the ancients couldent get to work. I did like the dpart at the end where wier was yelling at him about blowing up part of the soar sys. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Lancelot
post Feb 18th 2006, 1:02 PM
Post #85

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,650

NEW THERMODYNAMICS OF THE WEEK: If the region of subspace used by the ZPMs is artificial, then where did the energy come from to create it? We're drifting dangerously close to the perpetual motion machine, people.

Actully the zpms use an artificial region of subspace from an alternate universe. mckay said that the reason
that the arturo's project's reactor was so powerful was because it came from or own universe not from another which ment that as a result of taking this energy new types of unstable molecules were created
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Feb 18th 2006, 1:16 PM
Post #86

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,340

QUOTE(Lancelot @ Feb 18th 2006, 6:02 PM) *
Actully the zpms use an artificial region of subspace from an alternate universe. mckay said that the reason
that the arturo's project's reactor was so powerful was because it came from or own universe not from another which ment that as a result of taking this energy new types of unstable molecules were created

They said that a ZPM draws power from an artificially created region of subspace, nothing was ever said about the region of subspace being from an alternate reality.
+Quote Post
Lancelot
post Feb 19th 2006, 1:12 PM
Post #87

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,650

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Feb 18th 2006, 7:16 PM) *

They said that a ZPM draws power from an artificially created region of subspace, nothing was ever said about the region of subspace being from an alternate reality.

I didn't say alternate reality i said universe subtle difference a different reality has the same laws of physics as or own but another universe may exist with different laws(sorry to sound like a total factoter)
+Quote Post
thefirstone
post Aug 8th 2006, 9:38 AM
Post #88

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,686

Anyone notice the camera when they went into the corridor after the scientist was hit by the radiation?
+Quote Post
cdpage
post Aug 14th 2006, 8:50 PM
Post #89

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,843

QUOTE(thefirstone @ Aug 8th 2006, 10:38 AM) *

Anyone notice the camera when they went into the corridor after the scientist was hit by the radiation?

I did notice that, but i figured that that would be theirs... a few seconds before that shot you can see the video feed of the corridor...

question is... then how did the vedio feed work if the door was shut... was the a window?

U reckon they managed to salvage the plans of that device? or at least the laser cannon that was firing at the end. it fires pretty quickly, and im sure with a bit of tweaking it woulda kicked bum on the dadealus.

Well that gun would be nice there would be no real good use for it. Its power is realy only that it can fire Extremly powerful shots rapidly. in order for us to take any advantage of such a weapon we would require huge supply of ZPMs.

What technology that would be great if acuired would be the contaiment technology..

consider controling naqahdah, then naqahdriah...should they come across something more unstable... this may be useful.

EP 7/10

graphics 10/10

peve...shouldn't have had the bodies in there for 10,000 yrs... they didn't serve any purpose to the story, we wouldn't have missed them. If the writers felt something like this sould be used... then fine, come up with something to back it up... perhaps they weren't there when it happened...they(who ever 'they' are) came after to try and do the same thing. at least that would have made for something no only tangable, but would leave us something to think about....ie other explorers?
+Quote Post
Mr Smiley
post Feb 23rd 2007, 11:06 PM
Post #90

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,719

Good ep, one thing bugged me though, when it went boom it was rather small. In s8 cater says that the tainted ZPM could have taken out our solar system.
So why did it make such a small boom?
+Quote Post
Revan
post Feb 23rd 2007, 11:30 PM
Post #91

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(Mr Smiley @ Feb 23rd 2007, 11:06 PM) *

Good ep, one thing bugged me though, when it went boom it was rather small. In s8 cater says that the tainted ZPM could have taken out our solar system.

It took out 5/6 of that solar system... how is that a small boom?
+Quote Post
Rooster
post Feb 25th 2007, 10:21 PM
Post #92

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,243

QUOTE(Mr Smiley @ Feb 24th 2007, 3:06 PM) *

It was pretty big, depends on the size of the different solar systems for comparison?

+Quote Post
Mr Smiley
post Feb 26th 2007, 12:03 AM
Post #93

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,719

All right, it was a big boom, but Rodney says that it makes a ZPM look like an alkaline battery. So something that powerful would make a really big boom, much more than something 30 times less powerful than it.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Feb 26th 2007, 2:11 AM
Post #94

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(Mr Smiley @ Feb 26th 2007, 5:03 AM) *

All right, it was a big boom, but Rodney says that it makes a ZPM look like an alkaline battery. So something that powerful would make a really big boom, much more than something 30 times less powerful than it.

We didn't see the extent of the explosion really...it cut off fairly quickly. Odds are they didn't even know the final size, I doubt they'd send daedalus to go near and check lol. smile.gif But we don't know, so it's hard to say anything.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 24th 2014 - 3:52 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.