post Jul 29th 2005, 11:38 PM
Post #1

Base Commander
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Season 9, Episode 4 - The Ties That Bind
Air date: August 5, 2005

Jackson and Mitchell must go on an interplanetary scavenger hunt when Daniel discovers that he and Vala have been bound together by an alien energy field.

Episode Guide | Spoilers | Teaser | Screencaps

(This topic is for people who have seen the episode to discuss it. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read this topic.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stargate_addict
post Aug 5th 2005, 10:41 PM
Post #2

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,195

this episode was overall good, but i thought that some parts of it were not needed, such as the part where the guy went way to long into how vala and him did stuff together before mithcell and Daniel stopped him. This episode seemed a little low budget but for the most part wasnt. Vala started to annoy me a little bit but not to much, but i think she needs to calm down her attitude a little bit. I would give this episode a 7/10 rating.

PS: Did any one dislike the knew stargate wormhole effects, i like the old ones better because they kept it more like the origional episodes but it doesnt really matter.

This post has been edited by stargate_addict: Aug 6th 2005, 12:44 AM
+Quote Post
ha'tak
post Aug 5th 2005, 10:48 PM
Post #3

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,229

Hey People just finnished the EP and heres what I thought

The EP was good but I liked both parts of Origin better[although It did have some very Interesting parts]

Heres what I liked
----VALA!!
----The new threat form the Smuggler Alliance
----The different accomplices Vala had when she was "trading"
----Opening scene where Daniel is showing Vala off and she steals the little gold coin
----Scene when Vala is asking about the credit card laugh.gif
----Teal'c reminding Cameron that he reminds him of O'Neill

Didn't like
----Teal'c leaving sad.gif
----Bracelets effect being enhanced by the Alterran device [they could have done better]
----And the part where the old man is talking about him and Vala sick.gif

Overall A 7.5

PS a little Tech Question. Wasn't that some form of EMP that the cargo ship emitted.

This post has been edited by ha'tak: Aug 5th 2005, 10:50 PM
+Quote Post
stargate_addict
post Aug 5th 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #4

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,195

QUOTE(ha'tak @ Aug 5th 2005, 10:48 PM)
Didn't like
----Teal'c leaving  sad.gif
----Bracelets effect being enhanced by the Alterran device [they could have done better]
PS a little Tech Question. Wasn't that some form of EMP that the cargo ship emitted.

It was an EMP pulse of some sort, what do you mean by the Bracelets effect being enhanced by the Alterran device?
+Quote Post
Auntie Em!
post Aug 5th 2005, 10:53 PM
Post #5

Sipping on fine wine!
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 8,565

Teal'c left?
+Quote Post
ha'tak
post Aug 5th 2005, 11:14 PM
Post #6

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

QUOTE(Auntie Em! @ Aug 5th 2005, 10:53 PM)
Teal'c left?

No Forever Auntie he just went back to [Quoting Jack O'Neill] "Jaffa land"

And what I meant by being enhaced was the effect of the bracelts [after they were removed by Vala] remained for some unknown reason. Dr. Lee said that it might have been the Alterran Communication device that caused this to happen
+Quote Post
Ziu
post Aug 6th 2005, 12:05 AM
Post #7

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,813

Vala puts humor back into the SG-1 stories. This, in my opinion, is very helpful until the new team gets going and becomes a team the way it should be.

I also believe that it would be great if the powers to be make her a permanent member of SG-1. There is nothing wrong to have 5 members on a team. Also, it would allow the occasional absence of Teal'c for his Jaffa Nation business. king.gif

To quote Brig Gen o'Neill "It doesn't say anywhere that you have to have 4 people on a team". This was said when Jack did not want to increase SG-1 after he got promoted.
+Quote Post
linda_lol
post Aug 6th 2005, 12:08 AM
Post #8

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,933

This was an okay episode, liked that last one better. 7/10

It was extremely funny though, and I love Vala! She's so freakin funny! And she is one clever liar. We got to see more of what she really is. And that guy in the beginning when he talked about their "experience." Now that was something. lol!
+Quote Post
Erised
post Aug 6th 2005, 12:15 AM
Post #9

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,232

It was a funny episode smile.gif
Not as funny as Atlantis though
So this week Atlantis wins
But Daniel/Vala conversations are priceless as always biggrin.gif

You know what's weird... it's 4th episode and we haven't actually seen SG-1 stepping through the Startgate.
+Quote Post
ha'tak
post Aug 6th 2005, 12:39 AM
Post #10

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

QUOTE(Erised @ Aug 6th 2005, 12:15 AM)
You know what's weird... it's 4th episode and we haven't actually seen SG-1 stepping through the Startgate.

Yes We have Cameron went through and came back in Origin Pt II when he went and got the Prior and brought him to the SGC
+Quote Post
nwspacemonkey
post Aug 6th 2005, 12:47 AM
Post #11

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,295

I don't post much, so bear with me.

What I liked about this ep? Not much. I cringed most of the way through it. Why was it necessary to continue this link between Vala and Daniel? They have no chemistry. They don't click. They just get on my nerves. I have no problem with annoying characters. Q from TNG could be seen as annoying. DeLancie pulled it off wonderfully by applying the old Mae West quote, "When I'm good, I'm really good. But when I'm bad, I'm even better." I loved Q. Vala isn't like this, though, she is just annoying.

Is it me, or did this ep have a Farscape feel to it somehow? Maybe it was the clothes. Nice to see Browder in leather again. Made me wonder if he had Winona under that coat. I was waiting for him to ask Pilot to starburst when they were in the cargo ship.

This ep also had the feel of "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World." Where a group of people are trying to find a stash of cash in 1963 L.A. I kept muttering, "Look under the giant dubaya!" (I think I'm showin' my age. Yikes!)

3/10 This has got to get better. Even my kids thought it was lame.

Gotta go...

+Quote Post
Auntie Em!
post Aug 6th 2005, 12:56 AM
Post #12

Sipping on fine wine!
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,565

QUOTE(nwspacemonkey @ Aug 6th 2005, 1:47 AM)
I don't post much, so bear with me.

What I liked about this ep?  Not much.  I cringed most of the way through it.  Why was it necessary to continue this link between Vala and Daniel?  They have no chemistry.  They don't click.

blink.gif

They don't have chemistry? I think they sure do. They should make babies. smile.gif
They are very good together. The two actors that play those characers must get along well off set because they sure are like two pees in a pod. They bring the best of each other out. I love them.
+Quote Post
ha'tak
post Aug 6th 2005, 1:02 AM
Post #13

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Yes I loved the scene when Daniels Examining yet another artifact and Vala looking at Magazines. And

Vala: Daniel do you have one of these..... Credit..... Cards
Daniel: Yes
Vala: Ca.....
Daneil: No

Or the screne when Daniel wakes up to find Vala right there with him in the Infirmary once again. They have chemestry but they dont want to admit it.
The Bedroom Scene is a good example of this
+Quote Post
NewbieSGfan
post Aug 6th 2005, 1:31 AM
Post #14

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,631

I've noticed myself losing interest in SG-1 at the beginning of Season 8 with the minor cast change. The second half of the season I was barely putting an effort to watching the new episodes on Friday. Finally the beginning of Season 9 I just stopped caring at all. SG-1 changed so much.. I guess I cling too much, but I really liked the old one better. To me all of this is just a slow process of replacing old characters with new ones. I personally don't like new characters, but that's my opinion.

Oh, yeah, the actual episode. Um.. it felt like a long RPG.

To get the bracelets off you must return item A to scientist on Planet W.

To acquire item A you need to travel to Planet X for item B.

To get item B you need to get item C which is located on Planet Y.

On Planet Y you find out that item C is only available if you return Ship A.

A simple thing that turns out to be a complicated road map. It's not a complaint. It's not a praise.

No score as mine is biased. If you ask me though.. I'd give it a 1/10 because.. well.. the show is called SG-1 still, and I still have fond memories of the past seasons.
On a different note (this should be in the nitpick section).. in Daniel's private quarters.. he said "no we shall'nt" after Vala said something about 'making the best of things'. Um.. isn't it "shan't"?

This post has been edited by NewbieSGfan: Aug 6th 2005, 1:37 AM
+Quote Post
youngjediboy
post Aug 6th 2005, 2:01 AM
Post #15

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,547

To you whiners: Stop watching, do us all a favor and shut up.

To nwspacemoneky: I agree, it did have a bit of a Farscape feel to it with the clothes, locations and just "wild west" type of anarchy that seems to be happening now with the Goauld control gone.

And just adding something that no one has mentioned yet....

Possible CAMERON and DR. LAM shippiness?
At the beginning when Landry met Mitchell and Lam coming out of the elevator, while he was talking to them did anyone notice Mitchell trying to button the top button of his shirt?
WHAT DO WE HAVE HERE? Ben and Lexa getting it on to get back at Mike and Claudia getting together? w00t.gif
+Quote Post
usmctech99
post Aug 6th 2005, 2:13 AM
Post #16

SILENCE!!!! I Kill you!
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,693

QUOTE(youngjediboy @ Aug 6th 2005, 1:01 AM)
Possible CAMERON and DR. LAM shippiness?
At the beginning when Landry met Mitchell and Lam coming out of the elevator, while he was talking to them did anyone notice Mitchell trying to button the top button of his shirt? 
WHAT DO WE HAVE HERE? Ben and Lexa getting it on to get back at Mike and Claudia getting together?  w00t.gif

Now that's a possibility I hadn't considered before... Mitchell and Lam... I was wondering why they made a bit of a deal with him getting it re-buttoned.
But I don't think it has anything to do with with the actors relationships, I think it might be Lam getting back at Landry for something in their past... there is some obvious tension there.
+Quote Post
youngjediboy
post Aug 6th 2005, 2:20 AM
Post #17

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,547

Oh right, I know it's nothing really there between the actors... since Mike and Lexa are actually married, and Ben and Claudia were the on screen couple from Farscape.
I just thought it was neat that they crossed them all up.

But yeah, as for the characters, it certainly opens a whole can of worms between Landry and Mitchell... especially if Lam ends up being Landry's daughter or something... (we just know so far that Lam and Landry are close... but to what degree we don't know yet).

+Quote Post
kitana
post Aug 6th 2005, 2:23 AM
Post #18

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,521

w00t.gif OMG I just went back and looked at that! He is actually buttoning it up. I knew something was off about that scene souldn't pinpoint it though. Maybe that was it!

Anyway I loved the episode and I absolutely love Vala's charactor! I wish she would join the cast. Daniel and her chemistry is through the roof and don't know how you could say there is nothing there!

Things I liked:

~Vala!
~the first guy with his story ( I LMAO)
~seeing new planets again
~credit card scene

H*ll I loved it all!

ps did anyone else see daniel jump when he woke up at the beggining? Why did he jump he didn;t know vala was there yet

and didn;t those aliens look familiar?

This post has been edited by kitana: Aug 6th 2005, 2:25 AM
+Quote Post
usmctech99
post Aug 6th 2005, 2:45 AM
Post #19

SILENCE!!!! I Kill you!
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,693

QUOTE(kitana @ Aug 6th 2005, 1:23 AM)
and didn;t those aliens look familiar?

Yes, they were the same ones from Prometheus Unbound, Ep 812, that Vala was "trading" with.
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Aug 6th 2005, 3:47 AM
Post #20

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,411

I thought this one was quite funny. I'm sure they have some serious episodes lined up so I can live with a few light-hearted ones.
I can't believe anyone would think Daniel and Vala have no chemistry. Just put the two of them together and watch the sparks; they don't even have to speak a word and they're burning up the screen.
Things I loved:
*Daniel bidding Vala a fond farewell, knowing she picked his pocket.
*Vala asking for his credit card, lolling all over his desk, breaking his glasses.
*The bedroom scene. I'm assuming Vala doesn't know the Daniel/Sha're story but she seriously pulled poor Daniel's heart-strings there. Until the always slow with women Daniel figured out she was playing him and ordered her out of his room.
*Daniel and Cameron in those oh-my-God-is that-leather pants and the dusters. Whoa!!!!
*Daniel and Cameron together, another fine example of chemistry.
*Teal'c's goodbye in the gateroom, I thought Daniel was gonna cry. He looked like he lost his best friend. But that last shot should have been his sad face, not Mitchell's.
*Liking Landry more and more.
Disappointment-we went to DC and didn't see Jack?? How lame is that?
+Quote Post
Janos
post Aug 6th 2005, 5:59 AM
Post #21

Posts in his underwear
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,403

Well, I really liked it... when I was watching it. It was funny, and I was laughing the whole way through.

But in hindsight, comparatively, it really wasn't that good of an episode. I would have rather seen them do something a little different, that was pretty cliched.

I also remember us talking about it a while ago, but AT is supposed to only miss like the first four episodes while she was having her baby, which left a 4 episode arc with CB. Well, the next episode is number 5, and it looks like Vala will still be there? I'm not complaining, I think the Vala character is great! But I'm a little confused.

Overall, I think the episode was well acted and fun, but there's nothing that makes me it was as good as the first three. I liked it, but so far, it's my least favorite of the first four episodes.
+Quote Post
Happenstance
post Aug 6th 2005, 8:01 AM
Post #22

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,100

I thought the episode was ok. As usual the Vala/Daniel chemistry was great and the bit with her asking about the credit card was good. The rest of the episode was good for watching Daniel and then the General trying to get rid of Vala.

Apart from that though it wasnt one of their best eps at all and even though I liked Mitchell in the 1st episode he is really going downhill for me to the point where I actually get irritated everytime he speaks
+Quote Post
RJLCyberPunk
post Aug 6th 2005, 10:33 AM
Post #23

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,415

This episode was OK. It not as good as the previous ones but still good.
A 5/10....
+Quote Post
Hatshepsut
post Aug 6th 2005, 10:55 AM
Post #24

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,840

QUOTE(Janos @ Aug 6th 2005, 5:59 AM)
I also remember us talking about it a while ago, but AT is supposed to only miss like the first four episodes while she was having her baby, which left a 4 episode arc with CB. Well, the next episode is number 5, and it looks like Vala will still be there? I'm not complaining, I think the Vala character is great! But I'm a little confused.

CB said in a little clip I watched that she was lined up for 6eps, 1 being PU [i'm assuming] and the other 5 being in this season. To my knowledge it's always been set that she was going to do 5eps at the beginning of the season.

As for the episode, did any of you notice who the old guy at the beginning was? He's from Clueless one of the two teachers Cher and her friend were trying to set up.

Also, my favorite parts of this episode were the Credit Card, the bedroom, and the going away sence. I also think there's that love/hate spark going on between Vala and Daniel, she does however tend to weigh on my nerves at times. I also liked when she wanted Daniel to take her out to dinner and when she insulted the Senator, someone needed to shut that pompus Kensey-sp- wanna-be up.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 27th 2014 - 12:25 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.