Rating  5
Rogue Ashrak
post Jul 3rd 2006, 9:15 AM
Post #409

Hero of Time
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 7,502

There isn't much of a backstory for Landry (that we know of so far anyway). From what I can gather, he was an old friend of Jack's, and was handpicked by him to be the commander of the SGC, after Jack took Hammonds old post as head of Homeworld Security. Not much more to it than that I'm afraid.
I'm a little annoyed at that whole situation too though. They didn't explain it very well at all. One minute Jack is heading the SGC (Moebius) and the next, Landry is in place with Jack moving to Washington. We ended up having to fill in the blanks ourselves. And I still don't know what the hell Hammond does now that Jack has taken his job. It would be nice to have that clarified.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jul 3rd 2006, 9:54 AM
Post #410

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

QUOTE(Rogue Ashrak @ Jul 3rd 2006, 3:15 PM) *
And I still don't know what the hell Hammond does now that Jack has taken his job. It would be nice to have that clarified.
There is speculation that he has been given the job of Secretary of the Air Force.
» Click for Spoiler «
+Quote Post
Holly Hannah
post Jul 3rd 2006, 10:47 PM
Post #411

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,350

QUOTE(Rogue Ashrak @ Jul 4th 2006, 12:15 AM) *

There isn't much of a backstory for Landry (that we know of so far anyway). From what I can gather, he was an old friend of Jack's, and was handpicked by him to be the commander of the SGC, after Jack took Hammonds old post as head of Homeworld Security. Not much more to it than that I'm afraid.
I'm a little annoyed at that whole situation too though. They didn't explain it very well at all. One minute Jack is heading the SGC (Moebius) and the next, Landry is in place with Jack moving to Washington. We ended up having to fill in the blanks ourselves. And I still don't know what the hell Hammond does now that Jack has taken his job. It would be nice to have that clarified.
Well given that he was "an old friend" why hadn't we heard about him? When SG1 first started they at least explained who Hammond was for those who had seen the movie a change of Generals would have been pretty noticable. If I had a gripe about the show this would be it...so considering this is all I can find to gripe about the episode, then it must have been good.
+Quote Post
replicant
post Jul 4th 2006, 12:43 AM
Post #412

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,783

Finally we get to see S9 in Australia. To me Landry looks physically similar to Hammond. I took an immediate liking to his character. One thing that bugged me was all the stuff with mitchel at the beginning. why not give Carter the command of SG1 and bring back Jonas. I loved the return of Vala she adds a whole new dimension to the show.

Cheers All
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jul 4th 2006, 3:15 AM
Post #413

General
Group Icon

They couldn't given Carter command because Amanda had taken time off after her pregnancy. TPTB gave Mitchell command because he was the new character, they wouldn't get a new actor on the show and then just have him appear in the background.
+Quote Post
Teags
post Jul 5th 2006, 7:49 AM
Post #414

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,840

I really don't think that TPTB allowed Carter to really grow in her command role in S8... which was really unfair. Now when she comes back from Area 51, she will presummably take a 2IC role again. It's kind of like she would get demoted in a sense.

Wasn't Hammond retiring? That was what i had heard...
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jul 5th 2006, 7:57 AM
Post #415

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Teags @ Jul 5th 2006, 1:49 PM) *
Wasn't Hammond retiring? That was what i had heard...
He said he was retiring after his tenure as Commander of the SGC was up before 'Children of the Gods' took place. He has been convinced to take up other commands even though he wanted to retire. If he did retire fromt he Air Force, he is a prime candidate for Secretary of the Air Force as he would be a civilian but out of respect still referred to him by his rank.
+Quote Post
Teags
post Jul 5th 2006, 10:50 AM
Post #416

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,840

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jul 5th 2006, 7:57 AM) *

...If he did retire fromt he Air Force, he is a prime candidate for Secretary of the Air Force as he would be a civilian but out of respect still referred to him by his rank.

Oh wow, really? Is the Secretary of the Air Force actually required to retire before he takes up the position? I'm not really up on my US politics...
We already know from certain Season 8 eps that Hammond gets on well with the President, so that would make sense that he would appoint him to that position.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Jul 5th 2006, 10:55 AM
Post #417

General
Group Icon

Secretary of the Air Force is a civilian position so for Hammond to have taken the position he would have had to either resigned or retired from the Air Force.
This is just speculation by fans, it has never been said in the show what he actually does but it seems logical given his appearance in 'The Fourth Horseman'.
+Quote Post
manfromdownunder
post Jul 6th 2006, 5:14 PM
Post #418

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,666

This was a great start to hopeful season, I only saw it last week, (29/06), being in Australia but well worth the wait. This is going to be one hell of a season.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Jul 24th 2006, 5:48 PM
Post #419

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,622

QUOTE(Dafmeister @ Jul 3rd 2006, 9:54 AM) *

There is speculation that he has been given the job of Secretary of the Air Force.
» Click for Spoiler «

Well considering in an interview RDA didn't even know what had happened to Jack, where he went or what he was doing. He thought O'Neill was somewhere in Washington, D.C.
+Quote Post
Xen
post Aug 31st 2006, 7:32 PM
Post #420

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,743

Just watched it a week ago. And wow it was good, I've been counting down the days till part 2 and now its only hour and a half away..

I found it really funny how Lt. Colonel Mitchel tried to get the old Sg-1 back together and how they all said no but in the end worked together ( Without Carter)

Also the parts with Vala and Daniel.

+Quote Post
NiinaC
post Apr 7th 2007, 4:25 AM
Post #421

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,411

I'm actually at Season 4 Episode 1, but I got a sneak peek at this episode.
I love the love-hate daniel and Vala have, I now realize why people like her that much.
I had just seen pictures before and didn't like her dominatrix gear blink.gif , but after seeing her act I like her. smile.gif

I also like Mitchell, it's great that he isn't Jack, 'cause that would have pissed me off. ;)
I feel blue about Sam being away now... can't wait to sneak peek the Avalon pt.2.

Back to my Season 4 now.

Incase anyone thinks I'm dense... I actually live in finland where all great shows are atleast 3 years late. huh.gif
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Apr 7th 2007, 9:34 AM
Post #422

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(NiinaC @ Apr 7th 2007, 10:25 AM) *

I'm actually at Season 4 Episode 1, but I got a sneak peek at this episode.
I love the love-hate daniel and Vala have, I now realize why people like her that much.
I had just seen pictures before and didn't like her dominatrix gear blink.gif , but after seeing her act I like her. smile.gif

I also like Mitchell, it's great that he isn't Jack, 'cause that would have pissed me off. ;)
I feel blue about Sam being away now... can't wait to sneak peek the Avalon pt.2.

Back to my Season 4 now.

Incase anyone thinks I'm dense... I actually live in finland where all great shows are atleast 3 years late. huh.gif

Nah that's cool, everyone has the right to be behind lol. I'm just wondering why you're checking out footage from 5 years later in the story lol I'd never do that for spoilers smile.gif
+Quote Post
NiinaC
post Apr 9th 2007, 2:30 AM
Post #423

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,411

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Apr 7th 2007, 5:34 PM) *

Nah that's cool, everyone has the right to be behind lol. I'm just wondering why you're checking out footage from 5 years later in the story lol I'd never do that for spoilers smile.gif

I think seeing all the Music Videos, I've been permanentely spoilered. ;)

I am planning of spending my summer break of two months (it pays off to be teacher) watching season after season of Stargate. biggrin.gif
I'll probably be the only pale teacher when school starts again.
+Quote Post
KillerDanny
post May 23rd 2007, 2:30 AM
Post #424

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,133

Not a big fan of Vala, but she still is likeble in my opinion. This was a great episode. Can't wait to see the second part. I think that Daniel will save Mitchell after he solves his puzzle, but that is just guessing. More remains to be seen about Mitchell, Landry and Vala. smile.gif
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Dec 26th 2007, 1:12 AM
Post #425

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

I rewatched this during the sci-fi marathon today. I was pleasantly reminded that I did like Ben Browder in this first episode. So where did they go wrong? By the end of season 9 and for season 10, I really had a problem with him. I think they tried too hard to make him fit and he didn't. At least not for me. There just wasn't the chemistry that I loved when RDA was involved. BB did have one of the very best lines ever spoken to Daniel Jackson, "I wanted to work with you, Teal'c and Colonel Carter, not two letters, a dash and a number." wink.gif

At the same time, I did like Vala in this episode, but it also showed just how she could become old real fast. It was a good thing that they changed her character and had her grow.
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Dec 26th 2007, 6:45 AM
Post #426

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,411

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Dec 26th 2007, 1:12 AM) *

I rewatched this during the sci-fi marathon today. I was pleasantly reminded that I did like Ben Browder in this first episode. So where did they go wrong? By the end of season 9 and for season 10, I really had a problem with him. I think they tried too hard to make him fit and he didn't. At least not for me. There just wasn't the chemistry that I loved when RDA was involved. BB did have one of the very best lines ever spoken to Daniel Jackson, "I wanted to work with you, Teal'c and Colonel Carter, not two letters, a dash and a number." wink.gif

For me, it was 'Stronghold'. Mitchell goes blasting his way, alone, onto a Goa'uld ship because he's pissed his buddy is going to die? I found his character's arrogance, considering he was still the 'new guy', unbelieveable and uncalled for. SG-1 should have gone as a team, not having him take the lead and Sam and Daniel cover his back. Or it should have been the other way around, since either Sam or Daniel would have found their way around the ship waaaay easier than he did.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Dec 26th 2007, 9:06 AM
Post #427

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(wonderland @ Dec 26th 2007, 6:45 AM) *

For me, it was 'Stronghold'. Mitchell goes blasting his way, alone, onto a Goa'uld ship because he's pissed his buddy is going to die? I found his character's arrogance, considering he was still the 'new guy', unbelieveable and uncalled for. SG-1 should have gone as a team, not having him take the lead and Sam and Daniel cover his back. Or it should have been the other way around, since either Sam or Daniel would have found their way around the ship waaaay easier than he did.

I don't know about that. Mitchell had a lot of time on his hands to study mission reports and tech briefings. I think he would have a fair idea (though not from personal experience) of how to get around a Ha'tak.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Dec 26th 2007, 2:34 PM
Post #428

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(wonderland @ Dec 26th 2007, 11:45 AM) *

Well I think it was more the fact that he knew in part it was his actions that let his friend get into the condition he was in (Even though it was not his fault, he felt it was) And he felt here that he wouldn't let another friend go through his unaction. So he acted impulsivly and went in. It was a little rash, but hey. smile.gif

I don't have a problem with his character though, I liked him pretty much instantly in this episode, I felt he played it well. And nothing really put me off him as it went along. So I like him.

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Dec 26th 2007, 2:35 PM
+Quote Post
wonderland
post Dec 26th 2007, 5:06 PM
Post #429

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,411

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Dec 26th 2007, 2:34 PM) *

Well I think it was more the fact that he knew in part it was his actions that let his friend get into the condition he was in (Even though it was not his fault, he felt it was) And he felt here that he wouldn't let another friend go through his unaction. So he acted impulsivly and went in. It was a little rash, but hey. smile.gif

I don't have a problem with his character though, I liked him pretty much instantly in this episode, I felt he played it well. And nothing really put me off him as it went along. So I like him.

I think this is what happens when the writers say 'we did a Daniel and a Sam story and a Teal'c story, wait a minute, we need a Mitchell story!' For me, his character never clicked with the rest of the team. Browder did a good enough job but I just never saw his character as being very clearly defined.
Honestly, when I'm watching DVD's I fast forward through most of his scenes.

This post has been edited by wonderland: Dec 26th 2007, 5:07 PM
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Dec 26th 2007, 5:51 PM
Post #430

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(wonderland @ Dec 26th 2007, 10:06 PM) *

I think this is what happens when the writers say 'we did a Daniel and a Sam story and a Teal'c story, wait a minute, we need a Mitchell story!' For me, his character never clicked with the rest of the team. Browder did a good enough job but I just never saw his character as being very clearly defined.

I agree about the clearly defined bit, if someone asked me to define his character on Farscape, say what he's about, what he's like I could do it really easily. I would struggle a bit more here, the actor is saying the lines, saying them well but trying to say what his character's like is a bit harder. I could probably say a handfull of things while his Farscape character was a lot more clearly defined.
It's a case where we see the actor more then the character, but it's still not a terrible thing.

I like Mitchells plot about his friend, I found it quite good and it is that type of character stuff that I like to see. I'm not necesserily refering also to the suicide run bit, but the stuff in the hospital was good imo.
But the bit about 'needing a Mitchell episode' I wouldn't strike as quite true, especially since Sam or Daniel didn't get their own episodes at about this time wink.gif

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Dec 26th 2007, 5:52 PM
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Dec 26th 2007, 8:55 PM
Post #431

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(wonderland @ Dec 26th 2007, 5:06 PM) *

Wonder, I have to agree with you. It's why I was surprised when I rewatched it that I liked him in the first one. As I said, most of season 9 and all of season 10, I just didn't. It was because he just didn't fit with the rest of the team. He wanted to have "the team" back, but Mitchell just wasn't a fit, IMO. It was in Prototype that he immediately began pushing buttons, and Daniel got very upset. It was like wait a minute, new guy here. They had Mitchell do that a lot, just push ahead. Mitchell, no matter how many reports he read, did not have first hand experience withe gate travel, fighting the Goa'uld, watching a team member's back, etc.
+Quote Post
Sighfienerd
post Dec 30th 2007, 10:49 AM
Post #432

Beyond here there be dragons
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,150

I think Mitchell's strength was his relationship with Teal'c, but I don't believe they let Ben Browder unleash the full force of his skills in this show. Browder is a very intense actor, and I just felt like he was always having to hold back; maybe he was afraid of stepping on the seasoned actor's toes?

Mitchell as a character did have his moments though, I just wish there had been more of them.
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 16 17 18
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 31st 2014 - 2:14 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.