Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate SG-1: General Discussion

This area is for general discussion of Stargate SG-1 only. SG-1 spoilers belong in the Spoilers & Speculation section. There are separate categories for Stargate Atlantis Discussion and Stargate Universe Discussion. Complete forum rules are available here.

SG-1 Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Would you be shocked if Christ was an ancient?, PLEASE READ THREAD BEFORE REPLYING!
How would you react to the stargate writers' idea?
How would you react to the stargate writers' idea?
It's pure heresy. We would have to sue the producers and demonstrate in the streets! [ 6 ] ** [3.19%]
A blasphemy! They shouldn't kid with that kind of stuff. I'd stop watching the show. [ 21 ] ** [11.17%]
It's stupid but it's just fiction, so it's not that dramatic. But they shouldn't insist too much on it. [ 44 ] ** [23.40%]
It's just fiction and an interesting concept from that point of view. No real problem. [ 92 ] ** [48.94%]
Relating Christ to the Ancients is one of the most honourable things writers could do. I'd be perfectly fine with it. [ 25 ] ** [13.30%]
Total Votes: 188
Guests cannot vote 
Mister Oragahn
post Feb 11th 2005, 11:13 AM
Post #1

Lieutenant Colonel
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,085

!!! IMPORTANT !!!

>> Only people who believe in Chirst in any form or way are allowed to vote. <<

So please, be honest and fair. Respect the rules.

As an atheist, there's something I just cannot figure out. It's just hard to foresee the potential positive or negative reaction regarding the possible use of Jesus Christ for any stargate-related plot and his depiction and an ancient or close relative.

The question is:

How do you think people would react to the claim that Christ was an ancient or a cross between human and ancient still possessing some of their powers.

This question is about you and only you.

The answers are:

1. Would you get ballistic and denounce the heresy, suing the show producers and demonstrating in the streets?

2. Blasphemy! They shouldn't kid with that kind of stuff and you'd immediately stop watching the show.

3. Maybe you would say it's stupid but excuse it because it's just fiction. It should be used with parsimony.

4. Or would you say that it's just fiction, and an interesting interpretation nonetheless from this sole perspective, so it's not that important.

5. Perhaps you may consider it quite honourable in kind of way that Christ is related to one of the best, most powerful, pro-life and possibly most wisest and enlightened species in Stargate?

!!! IMPORTANT !!!

>> Only people who believe in Chirst in any form or way are allowed to vote. <<

So please, be honest and fair. Respect the rules.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Esme
post Feb 11th 2005, 3:20 PM
Post #2

Airman Basic

Member No.: 7,558

The Acients are in the TV show Stargate SG-1 and are just a made up race....Christ is both God and man...the Son of God.
+Quote Post
cvvrede
post Feb 11th 2005, 3:22 PM
Post #3

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 7,767

I think I'm somewhere in between answer 2 and 3. I'd be shocked, that's for sure, but I won't stop watching the show. But I don't believe the writers would ever put that in show. They probably would get to much protest and would be accused of not respecting the believes of others(what would be true).
+Quote Post
Parmenides
post Feb 11th 2005, 3:46 PM
Post #4

Birds ate his face.
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,770

I think it'd be a terribly act of blasphemy, but I wouldn't stop watching the show. Granted, a plot involving JC would have great potential, but I still wouldn't agree with it. I'd disagree with any modern-day religion deity appearing in the show.

Personally, I think that aspects of Buddhism, or at least the aspects I'm familiar with, are very similar to pre-cursors of ascension...but it should still be left alone.
+Quote Post
Alar
post Feb 11th 2005, 7:06 PM
Post #5

Airman Basic

Member No.: 6,851

Only one question, Do you believe in Christ? unsure.gif
+Quote Post
synthetik_whore
post Feb 11th 2005, 7:49 PM
Post #6

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,385

Okay, just some advice, 'Mister'. It's not a good idea to post topics about Chirst. It offends everyone in one way or another...
+Quote Post
Seth
post Feb 11th 2005, 8:14 PM
Post #7

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,788

QUOTE(Gillian @ Feb 11th 2005, 8:49 PM)
Okay, just some advice, 'Mister'. It's not a good idea to post topics about Chirst. It offends everyone in one way or another...

Everyone keeps proving my point over and over...Religious Nuts^H^H^H^Hpeople get pissed if Christ is shed in even a slightly negative point of view. Sheesh, keep an open mind people, someone may have an opinion other than yours!

Anyways, as an Atheist I didn't vote, but I'd choose the "4. Or would you say that it's just fiction, and an interesting interpretation nonetheless from this sole perspective, so it's not that important." option.
+Quote Post
Anubis drone
post Feb 11th 2005, 8:20 PM
Post #8

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,625

I think it would be pretty lame if they explicitly said Christ was an Ancient, but if they said something like "many historical figures seen as profets of miracle workers were probably ancients" (as vague as possible) I could live with that.

I mean, they obviously made Oma desala to look like the virgin mary, but THANKFULLY they didn't make any theories about that.

I'm not even religious, but I think that religions that are still alive (like christianity and Islam) shouldn't be mentioned.
+Quote Post
synthetik_whore
post Feb 11th 2005, 9:48 PM
Post #9

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,385

QUOTE(Anubis drone @ Feb 11th 2005, 8:20 PM)
I think it would be pretty lame if they explicitly said Christ was an Ancient, but if they said something like  "many historical figures seen as profets of miracle workers were probably ancients" (as vague as possible) I could live with that.
I mean, they obviously made Oma desala to look like the virgin mary, but THANKFULLY they didn't make any theories about that.

I'm not even religious, but I think that religions that are still alive (like christianity and Islam) shouldn't be mentioned.

rolleyes.gif Yes, thank you! That's what I was trying to say with my very consise statement. I guess it appeared that I was a religious nut, which I don't even come close. Sorry, if I was misleading... biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
wack
post Feb 14th 2005, 8:01 AM
Post #10

Unregistered

Heres a qoute from The simpons if anyone tryes to sue MGM.

Homer: Go suck a bible.
+Quote Post
Child of the gods
post Feb 14th 2005, 8:04 AM
Post #11

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,515

They mentioned Kali and Nirrti, who are from Hinduism, which is still alive, is it not?

Anyway, even though I belive in God, I wouldnt be offened to see a representation of Christ, however I do know that it would DEFINATELY offend some people, so for the sake of the show, it would be better not to say that.
+Quote Post
Anubis drone
post Feb 14th 2005, 8:32 AM
Post #12

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Child of the gods @ Feb 14th 2005, 1:04 PM)
They mentioned Kali and Nirrti, who are from Hinduism, which is still alive, is it not?

Good point... we should ask some Hindu guy if he thought it was lame... For people of the western world, it probably isn't very significant..

edit: or maybe because religions like christinity and islam are very different from the others... These two rely solely on faith and belief, the god of these religions have never been among us (yes, according to them christ was sent by god, but it is not exactly the same thing), and don't even have graphic depictions.

I don't know if i'm getting my idea through, and I admit that my judgement may be clouded by the simple fact that I'm from the western world, where currently only a few religions have social impact (christianity, judaism, islam)

This post has been edited by Anubis drone: Feb 14th 2005, 8:46 AM
+Quote Post
Cocopuff
post Feb 14th 2005, 10:11 AM
Post #13

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,857

"Go suck a bible", LOL, that's freaking good one man canada.gif biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
thecopyczar
post Feb 14th 2005, 3:02 PM
Post #14

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,453

I said the option in the middle. I do not believe Jesus is an alien. But it is an interesting concept, and there actually is a sect of Christianity that holds a view similar to this. Now, before you flame me for this - remember - I used to go to this church until I turned 18 and moved out and my parents didn't make me go anymore. The religion is the Mormon church - or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. In their beliefs, people evlove - and eventually 'ascend' to a higher plane. An example of this is that they believe that God the Father, Elohim (who they also believe is Adam and Michael the Archangel) was once a man, who believed in his own god, and worshipped him and was righteous. After he died, he went to heaven (the Celestial Kingdom) where he continued to do good works. He kept getting promoted, and eventually became a god himself. When he attained this status, he went and created his own world over which to rule. He then spawned each and every human on the earth, in spirit, as well as Jesus. They believe that we all come down to Earth and enter a body to be tested, before going back.

Now this view is similar to Ascension in Stargate, in my opinion. It is an eternal progression or evolution of the righteous.

So I don't think the view that Jesus is an Ancient would particularly offend the Mormons. But on the other hand, it probably would offend most of the other Christian sects out there. Personally, I don't think its that big a deal. Its fiction - and everybody has the right to postulate all they want. It would be a different story SciFi announced a formal declaration that Jesus was an Ancient. But I don't think that will happen. However - I do know quite a few people who would take severe offense to the idea of Jesus being an Ancient, and would boycott not only Stargate, but SciFi in general.

Like I said - it wouldn't bother me, and I think it would be kind of cool - but I say for sanity's sake - let it go. laugh.gif

Edit: I apologize if I offended any Mormons with this post, but it is the truth. If you have questions, please PM me - I will give you references to Church documents - canon and publications. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by thecopyczar: Feb 14th 2005, 3:03 PM
+Quote Post
ted_simple
post Feb 14th 2005, 3:28 PM
Post #15

SIR Ted Simple
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,194

I like the idea of this thread (because it's a good discussion) and here are my two cents.

It would mean more than explaining the historical persona "Jesus" in a science fiction manner, giving him a place in the stargate universe. No, stargate is a series that often deals with faith and similar questions. So if they portrayed Christ as an ascended, that would clearly be an attempt to give a scientific explanation to religion. A very bad and disrespectful message.
+Quote Post
Mega Trout
post Feb 14th 2005, 5:48 PM
Post #16

Airman Basic

Member No.: 7,720

Contraversial questions..I like it! I think it depends on how you believe in Jesus Christ. Personally? I certainly believe that there was a man alive in the first century who had many followers and was a great spiritual leader (like the Dalai Llama, for example). I think Jesus Christ was a human who existed, and while I do consider myself to be religious (I believe there is more to life than...life, I'm just not sure what...!) dubious am I as to whether he was the Son of God. I DO think it would be a BAD idea to make this link as it would offend a lot of people BUT...

...its a TV show, people!!! Have we become this politically correct that we cannot challenge views?!?!?!

My concerns would regard quality of story, not religious ethics. Here is another point I've often thought - why is it OK for us to say the Norse, Egyptian and some other (Ba'al is Babylonian, isn't he?) gods were all false yet not question Christianity or Islam?! I have found in my experience that the most devout Christians I've met enjoy answering (and asking themselves) questions of their faith.

More importantly, there is other ground to cover that would offend fewer people - Greek/Roman mythology (has to be either/or), perhaps? Or something original? Look at the Wraith! (OK so they're basically just advanced vampires but at least they seem new)

Oh, and good points from Anubis Drone there. I understand what you mean!
+Quote Post
SG-000
post Feb 15th 2005, 1:55 AM
Post #17

The Only One
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,299

Every one has pit in his or her 2 cents and that is great.

I am very religious and PRACTICE my faith not only call my self of it.

But I have a very open and able mind that allows me to hear and see things in a rational manner before jumoping to the streets in a riot.

With that said Im sure that would not be the case with many people.

although to watch science fiction at all you have to have a curiosity and a love for the unknown to begin with something that gose against closing your mind to a sci-fi explination of God.

I would take it as their view of christ not the real one.....Im anctious to see it....but i would easily be offended if they criticized the peoples who followed God and still do.
+Quote Post
Sighfienerd
post Feb 15th 2005, 12:44 PM
Post #18

Beyond here there be dragons
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,150

QUOTE(Anubis drone @ Feb 11th 2005, 8:20 PM)

I thought she looked like a cafeteria lady.

Anyway, I don't think the writers could write Jesus in as an ancient in a believable way. The ancients are big drips who don't do anything except for the ones who are being "bad" and going against the rules of non-interference.

So if Jesus was portrayed as having been an ancient, then he would have to be a "bad" or descended one (because of his high level of involvement in human affairs). So, if He was descended that would seem to have the effect of canceling out Jesus' divinity, non? Which would make Him just a regular joe, which would in turn make it somewhat pointless to portray Him as an ancient at all because we already saw the descended ancient story with Daniel.
+Quote Post
xayeidemon
post Feb 15th 2005, 1:29 PM
Post #19

Always a cousin, never a boochi!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,544

But what if Daniel's really Jesus? blink.gif

IMHO, currently (and widely) practiced religions shouldn't be touched with a ten-foot pole on Stargate. They already pissed off a lot of Hindu fans with their portrayal of Nirrti, what would happen if they start saying Christ is an Ancient? They'll lose most of their fanbase. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Anubis drone
post Feb 15th 2005, 2:04 PM
Post #20

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(xayeidemon @ Feb 15th 2005, 6:29 PM)
They already pissed off a lot of Hindu fans with their portrayal of Nirrti

They did? Is that a fact or are you speculating? (links please)

QUOTE(Sighfienerd @ Feb 15th 2005, 5:44 PM)
I thought she looked like a cafeteria lady.

Are you being sarcastic? tongue.gif
Watch first Oma episodes

user posted image
http://www.ifrance.com/sg1sreports/picture..._omadesala2.jpg

It looks like the virgin mary, and an angel, like all ascended ancients

This post has been edited by Anubis drone: Feb 15th 2005, 2:06 PM
+Quote Post
xayeidemon
post Feb 15th 2005, 2:10 PM
Post #21

Always a cousin, never a boochi!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,544

I heard about it. I don't have links.
+Quote Post
thecopyczar
post Feb 15th 2005, 2:13 PM
Post #22

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,453

Well if you think about it - they got kind of close to it in that one episode. They went to a planet where the people were like the New Englanders during the Salem Witch Hunts. I think it was a funny ep - especially how they couldn't kill Teal'c, who they thought to be a witch. laugh.gif But I think that is as close to Christianity as they could get without pissing off about half of their fanbase.
+Quote Post
Sighfienerd
post Feb 15th 2005, 3:19 PM
Post #23

Beyond here there be dragons
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,150

QUOTE(Anubis drone @ Feb 15th 2005, 2:04 PM)
Are you being sarcastic? tongue.gif

whistling.gif Actually I was thinking of Mel Harris' portrayal of Oma when she was wearing what kind of looked like a cafeteria uniform. I was sure she was wearing white nurse shoes too. Just an impression...

QUOTE(Anubis drone @ Feb 15th 2005, 2:04 PM)
It looks like the virgin mary, and an angel, like all ascended ancients

The Hollywood version anyway, complete with perfectly waxed brows and wearing fuschia lipstick.
+Quote Post
angel977
post Feb 18th 2005, 7:14 PM
Post #24

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,687

It's stupid , don't touch at Jesus bow.gif
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 23rd 2014 - 2:55 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.