Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate Atlantis: General Discussion

This area is for general discussion of Stargate Atlantis only. Atlantis spoilers belong in the Spoilers & Speculation section. There are separate categories for Stargate SG-1 Discussion and Stargate Universe Discussion. Complete forum rules are available here.

Atlantis Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stargate Pegasus' replacement for naquadah, wot is the staragtes in the pegasus galaxy made of?
alecjon2002
post Mar 8th 2006, 5:22 PM
Post #1

Civilian
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,516

we all know that in our galaxy the stargates are made of naquadah we know this from the movie and many other episodes but from wot im aware of pegasus has no naqudah so if the alantians built the stargates syster here aswell wot are they made out of?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
hobo_joe20
post Mar 8th 2006, 5:23 PM
Post #2

Brigadier General
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,055

QUOTE(alecjon2002 @ Mar 8th 2006, 5:22 PM) *

we all know that in our galaxy the stargates are made of naquadah we know this from the movie and many other episodes but from wot im aware of pegasus has no naqudah so if the alantians built the stargates syster here aswell wot are they made out of?

.... not Naquidah laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Maximusgeneral1
post Mar 8th 2006, 9:15 PM
Post #3

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,617

How is this relevant? Just because there is no naquadah doesn't mean that the stargate isn'nt made out of it. There is none in our solar system, yet the stagate on Earth is made of it. gatefire.gif
+Quote Post
SyStEm_LoRd
post Mar 9th 2006, 1:15 AM
Post #4

Major
Group Icon

Member No.: 552

1 solar system is a little differnt to a galaxy champ.. 1 gate in our solar system vs thousands of gates in pegasus.. how do we know there is no naquadah in pegasus?
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Mar 9th 2006, 4:11 AM
Post #5

General
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,340

QUOTE(SyStEm_LoRd @ Mar 9th 2006, 6:15 AM) *

1 solar system is a little differnt to a galaxy champ.. 1 gate in our solar system vs thousands of gates in pegasus.. how do we know there is no naquadah in pegasus?

Thats true. Just because we havent been told there is no Naquada in Pegasus, it doesnt mean there is none. We just assume there is none because it hasnt been mentioned.
+Quote Post
Protoziggy90
post Mar 9th 2006, 11:25 AM
Post #6

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,304

but if there really isn't any naquadah, how did they do it... they must have built the stargates back in our galaxy and flown them over or something... but then again, the difference in elements used to create the stagates in the Pegasus galaxy would explain why they look different...
+Quote Post
hobo_joe20
post Mar 9th 2006, 11:37 AM
Post #7

Brigadier General
Group Icon

This aspect has been discussed before. Try doing a search for Naquidah in Pegasus or something like that. I definately remember discussing the naquidah in Pegaus gates before ...
+Quote Post
Rin Daemoko
post Mar 9th 2006, 1:17 PM
Post #8

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,072

Didn't the Tollan build their own Stargate? It did not appear to be made of naquidah (it wasn't dark and gloomy-looking), and then Orlin built one in Samantha Carter's basement (I did not see the episode, so I'm not sure whether or not he acquired any naquidah to build it). So we've established that you can build a stargate out of materials other than naquidah.

As for speculating what the Pegasus Stargates are made of ... I'm not sure if I'd want to speculate, seeing as how it could be any number of elements or compounds. I've been thinking quite a bit about the Nox recently, and I've been wondering if the Nox would have the skill and the knowledge to build a Stargate out of organic material. Effectively "grow" a Stargate. We know that the Wraith more or less grow their ships, and to power such large vessels as a hive ship, those organic components would need to be able to handle channelling vast amounts of energy without frying. So it's not entirely implausible for the Nox to have the ability to grow a Stargate. (I realize this is a bit off-topic, I simply enjoy entertaining the notion of organic technologies.)
+Quote Post
Fr34ky
post Mar 31st 2006, 12:47 PM
Post #9

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,226

the stargate can be made out of anything....it just must be a super-condukter.....

This post has been edited by Fr34ky: Mar 31st 2006, 12:48 PM
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Mar 31st 2006, 1:12 PM
Post #10

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Fr34ky @ Mar 31st 2006, 6:47 PM) *

the stargate can be made out of anything....it just must be a super-condukter.....

When was that ever said? Orlin made a Stargate from Titanium and that isnt a superconductor. Just because the Pegaus Stargate dont look like tey are made from Naquada doesnt mean there is no Naquada in them.
+Quote Post
Fr34ky
post Mar 31st 2006, 1:15 PM
Post #11

Airman First Class
Group Icon

that stargate might have been made from titanium but almost every material can be a super-conducter it just needs the right temperature......like 0?K....
and Orlin didnt just made it out of titatium couse his order included many other things...
and i believe that Carter said that the stargate alone is just a giant super-conducter in that episode when Anubis tried to destroy Earth with that Ancient weapon that transfers energy to an other gate.....that episode wher McKay appered to hep out....
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Mar 31st 2006, 1:20 PM
Post #12

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Fr34ky @ Mar 31st 2006, 7:15 PM) *
that stargate might have been made from titanium but almost every material can be a super-conducter it just needs the right temperature......like 0?K....
It is obvious that the Stargate Orlin built hadnt been cooled to 0 Kelvin (mainly because it is impossible to reach absolute zero). Orlin's Stargate was not a suerconductor.

and i believe that Carter said that the stargate alone is just a giant super-conducter in that episode when Anubis tried to destroy Earth with that Ancient weapon that transfers energy to an other gate.....that episode wher McKay appered to hep out....
Yes, what does that have to do with anything? I'm not disputing the fact that the Stargates are superconductors.
+Quote Post
Fr34ky
post Mar 31st 2006, 1:28 PM
Post #13

Airman First Class
Group Icon

it is not imposible coulse liquid nitrogen is 0?K......thats why we call it absulute
zero couse there is no known thing that is cooler....
and the stargate must be a superconducter and with some other things along and dont ask what things it can open a wormhole....
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Mar 31st 2006, 1:36 PM
Post #14

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Fr34ky @ Mar 31st 2006, 7:28 PM) *

it is not imposible coulse liquid nitrogen is 0?K......thats why we call it absulute
zero couse there is no known thing that is cooler....

Absolute zero is a threoretical temperature that has never been reached. People have come close (to with a few pico-Kelvins) but it has never been reached.

and the stargate must be a superconducter
Like I said, I'm not saying the Stargate isnt a superconductor, I know quite well it is.

and with some other things along and dont ask what things it can open a wormhole....
huh.gif

This post has been edited by Dafmeister: Mar 31st 2006, 1:38 PM
+Quote Post
Fr34ky
post Mar 31st 2006, 1:40 PM
Post #15

Airman First Class
Group Icon

materials like cupper are supercomduktors not at 0?K but quite some degrees sooner :S and so is Titanium....and what i meant by "along with some other things" is that a superconduket alone does not give you a stargate :S there must be something else within
+Quote Post
Maximusgeneral1
post Apr 2nd 2006, 10:54 AM
Post #16

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,617

Well yeah, you can't just take a large amount of super conductive material and bang you have a Stargate, you need other things to make a wormhole other than some super conductive material.

This post has been edited by Maximusgeneral1: Apr 2nd 2006, 10:55 AM
+Quote Post
hobo_joe20
post Apr 2nd 2006, 1:22 PM
Post #17

Brigadier General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Fr34ky @ Mar 31st 2006, 2:40 PM) *

materials like cupper are supercomduktors not at 0?K but quite some degrees sooner :S and so is Titanium....and what i meant by "along with some other things" is that a superconduket alone does not give you a stargate :S there must be something else within

We have no proof that the stargates themselves are cooled to temperatures that low. If they were, we would have seen the influence of such cold temperatures around the base of the gate (where it contacts the ground), or when people touched it (not sure if they have in Atlantis or not ...)

As Daf has already mentioned, how do we know that the Ancients didn't bring Naquidah to Pegasus and build the gates out of it? Afterall, they came from the MW (a place with lots of it) and they built tons of it from Naquidah ... would make sense that they continued to do so.
+Quote Post
Fr34ky
post Apr 6th 2006, 3:46 PM
Post #18

Airman First Class
Group Icon

i'm not saying that it is impossible....i'm just saying that they could have build it from some other material...ok i'm not sure if thats true or not but....what if the gates are only inside made from maquadah? and the outside is lats say out of trinion or something....if it would be that way it could be cooled in the inside....
and maybe naquadah is a superconductor at room temperature or so...who knows what the properties of naquadah are :S
+Quote Post
J&S4Ever
post Apr 6th 2006, 4:05 PM
Post #19

Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,176

First of all, I'm guessing that by the "wot" you mean WHAT right?

Why does the element of the Stargate have to be cooled to absolute zero? When was that mentioned? If that were the case, then we would have never gotten the gate on Earth open again.

I'm guessing, since we can make synthetic diamonds now, perhaps the Ancients, being as advanced as they were could make synthetic naquadah. Besides, just because Naquadah is not found in our Solar System does not negate the possibility that it exists in other galaxies. Remember, theoretically, the entire universe is made of the same basic elements and Naquadah is an ELEMENT not a compound. So it stands to reason that as an element it can exist in another galaxy, and probably does.
+Quote Post
glitterboy2098
post Aug 5th 2006, 8:32 PM
Post #20

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,012

Didn't the Tollan build their own Stargate? It did not appear to be made of naquidah (it wasn't dark and gloomy-looking), and then Orlin built one in Samantha Carter's basement (I did not see the episode, so I'm not sure whether or not he acquired any naquidah to build it). So we've established that you can build a stargate out of materials other than naquidah.

well, Orlin's gate was never intended for more than one use, and lacked a DHD, implying it was built to work with only one destination.

as for the Tollan gate, remember that most ships in SG1 are built with Naquidah, or Naq alloys, and they always have different textures and coloration.

likewise, the original stargates are definately more than 10 million years old, likely representing an earlier design style and technique. the Tollan learned from the Nox, who had a long time to refine technology.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Aug 6th 2006, 3:39 AM
Post #21

General
Group Icon

QUOTE(glitterboy2098 @ Aug 6th 2006, 2:32 AM) *
remember that most ships in SG1 are built with Naquidah, or Naq alloys, and they always have different textures and coloration.
That was only mentioned once though and only in reference to a new alloy created by the Asgard. We don't know what other ships of other races are constructed from.
+Quote Post
Jed the Wraith Slayer
post Nov 8th 2006, 7:36 AM
Post #22

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,662

Wasn't the stargate made out of quartz unless of course Naquida is a type of quartz or Naquidah was combined with Quartz and remember the Ancients could have taken Naquidah with them to build the gates wherever they went.
+Quote Post
Dafmeister
post Nov 8th 2006, 9:45 AM
Post #23

General
Group Icon

In the movie they said it was made from a quartz-like mineral but it never had a name. In SG-1 it played an important part of the show they had to name it so it was named Naquada.
+Quote Post
Lancelot
post Nov 11th 2006, 10:31 AM
Post #24

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,650

i personally don't think that there is naqaudah in the pegasus gates
however i do think that there is naqaudah in the pegasus galaxy just not a great deal of it
the reason i don't believe that there is naquada in the pegasus gates is because of the colour of the wormhole if you look at the sg1 wormhole
it is a light blue colour but the pegasus ones are green i think this is because of the differences in the composistion of the gates in pegasus compared with the milky way ones.
btw i thought that a superconductor was an element or alloy that conducts a lot of electric at room temperature without the need for freezing
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 30th 2014 - 12:11 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.