Stargate Information Archive

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Search     Help     Rules     Members V     Calendar V     Live Chat V  

> Stargate Atlantis: General Discussion

This area is for general discussion of Stargate Atlantis only. Atlantis spoilers belong in the Spoilers & Speculation section. There are separate categories for Stargate SG-1 Discussion and Stargate Universe Discussion. Complete forum rules are available here.

Atlantis Index: General Discussion | Spoilers & Speculation | Specific Episode Discussion

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Countries represented at Atlantis
Ritchmeister
post Aug 10th 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #1

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,725

These countries are confirmed to be at Atlantis:
United States, Canada, Scotland, Germany, Spain, England, Russia, Australia, Phillipines, Korea, Belgium, Sweden, Czech Republic, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Japan

These countries may be but have not been confirmed yet:
Saudi Arabia, Argentina, Honduras, Poland, Nigeria

Countries providing military:
United States, Spain, Russia, South Africa, Japan
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PyroPenguin
post Aug 10th 2004, 11:20 PM
Post #2

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,329

If all these countries have people in Atlantis than that means that general knowledge of the stargate is too secret anymore.
+Quote Post
major
post Aug 12th 2004, 3:44 AM
Post #3

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,966

QUOTE (PyroPenguin @ Aug 10 2004, 11:20 PM)
If all these countries have people in Atlantis than that means that general knowledge of the stargate is too secret anymore.

Of course it's not (Episode 17: Disclosure) If you remember we shared the information with the otherWorlk Leaders. I realize it was the larger and more tech advanced countries but You know it is going to get out to some of the others..
+Quote Post
PyroPenguin
post Aug 12th 2004, 11:37 PM
Post #4

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,329

I've been waiting to see that episode.

Its on at like 1:37 am this saturday for me on sydication.

[QUOTE]If all these countries have people in Atlantis than that means that general knowledge of the stargate is too secret anymore[/QOUTE]

that should be isn't not is

my error

This post has been edited by PyroPenguin: Aug 12th 2004, 11:39 PM
+Quote Post
Raptor937
post Aug 13th 2004, 4:19 AM
Post #5

Second Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,897

That's a lot of countries.

Japan providing troops? That's very odd, since their military force is the SDF (Self-Defence Force)
The SDF are under control of the civilian Defense Agency, subordinate to the prime minister. Although highly trained and fully qualified to perform the limited missions assigned to them, the SDF are small, understaffed, and underequipped for more extensive military operations. Its activities are confined to disaster relief and limited UN peacekeeping efforts.

Soon the Stargate programme might be under the UN control. whistling.gif
+Quote Post
Tashunka_Witko
post Aug 13th 2004, 4:26 AM
Post #6

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,824

QUOTE (Ritchmeister @ Aug 11 2004, 05:52 AM)
United States, Canada, Scotland, Germany, Spain, England, Russia, Australia, Phillipines, Korea, Belgium, Sweden, Czech Republic, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Japan

That's a lot of countries. I only remember 5 countries who took part in Disclosure: The US, Russia, France, Great Britain and China.

Now there are a lot more countries. And I really wonder what Zimbabwe has to do with it... blink.gif
+Quote Post
Ritchmeister
post Aug 13th 2004, 10:51 PM
Post #7

Airman First Class
Group Icon

The Japanese trooper was seen over the sergeant's shoulder in last weeks episode when shepard and the sergeant are arguing about Teyla's loyalty

I saw the Zimbabwe flag on the shoulder of a scientist they week they were trying to find a way to fix the puddle jumper

I believe the Saudi and Argentine (or Honduran) were in the hall way outside the gate room prior to their departure to Atlantis (just before you here "does anyone speak their language")

I was told about the Nigerian (still have not seen it)

the Pole is in the puddle jumper on the episode trying to help figure out how to get the pods to retract (there is dicussion on whether this is a Pole or another Russian)

Some of these countries are signatures to the Antarctic Treaty of 1963
+Quote Post
P3X696
post Aug 14th 2004, 8:00 AM
Post #8

Staff Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 317

Actually they explained why all these countries know in the pilot. The attact ovewr antarctica from anubis and events thereafter were pretty hard to keep secret from other countries who most likelly monitor places like antarctica.

The fact that it was in antarctica means that no standard cyvilian was there to witness the events and the stargate program can still be kept secret from the general public.

But yeah, among reigning powers around the world, it is pretty general knowledge now.
+Quote Post
Ritchmeister
post Sep 4th 2004, 7:05 AM
Post #9

Airman First Class
Group Icon

After watching the 38 minute episode, we can remove Poland from the list of countries represented at Atlantis
+Quote Post
Ritchmeister
post Sep 4th 2004, 7:08 AM
Post #10

Airman First Class
Group Icon

In the pilot O'Neil mentioned the Antartic Treaty. This is a real life Treaty. If we hold that treaty in Atlantis then your would be suprised at some of the countries that now now about the SGC. I have included a copy of the Treaty here

This is from the CIA Factbook:

Antarctic Treaty Summary - the Antarctic Treaty, signed on 1 December 1959 and entered into force on 23 June 1961, establishes the legal framework for the management of Antarctica; the 26th Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meeting was held in Madrid, Spain in June 2003; at these periodic meetings, decisions are made by consensus (not by vote) of all consultative member nations; at the end of 2003, there were 45 treaty member nations: 27 consultative and 18 non-consultative; consultative (decision-making) members include the seven nations that claim portions of Antarctica as national territory (some claims overlap) and 20 non-claimant nations; the US and Russia have reserved the right to make claims; the US does not recognize the claims of others; Antarctica is administered through meetings of the consultative member nations; decisions from these meetings are carried out by these member nations (with respect to their own nationals and operations) in accordance with their own national laws; the year in parentheses indicates when an acceding nation was accepted as a consultative member, while no date indicates the country was an original 1959 treaty signatory; claimant nations are - Argentina, Australia, Chile, France, New Zealand, Norway, and the UK. Nonclaimant consultative nations are - Belgium, Brazil (1983), Bulgaria (1998) China (1985), Ecuador (1990), Finland (1989), Germany (1981), India (1983), Italy (1987), Japan, South Korea (1989), Netherlands (1990), Peru (1989), Poland (1977), Russia, South Africa, Spain (1988), Sweden (1988), Uruguay (1985), and the US; non-consultative members, with year of accession in parentheses, are - Austria (1987), Canada (1988), Colombia (1989), Cuba (1984), Czech Republic (1993), Denmark (1965), Estonia (2001), Greece (1987), Guatemala (1991), Hungary (1984), North Korea (1987), Papua New Guinea (1981), Romania (1971), Slovakia (1993), Switzerland (1990), Turkey (1995), Ukraine (1992), and Venezuela (1999); Article 1 - area to be used for peaceful purposes only; military activity, such as weapons testing, is prohibited, but military personnel and equipment may be used for scientific research or any other peaceful purpose; Article 2 - freedom of scientific investigation and cooperation shall continue; Article 3 - free exchange of information and personnel, cooperation with the UN and other international agencies; Article 4 - does not recognize, dispute, or establish territorial claims and no new claims shall be asserted while the treaty is in force; Article 5 - prohibits nuclear explosions or disposal of radioactive wastes; Article 6 - includes under the treaty all land and ice shelves south of 60 degrees 00 minutes south and reserves high seas rights; Article 7 - treaty-state observers have free access, including aerial observation, to any area and may inspect all stations, installations, and equipment; advance notice of all expeditions and of the introduction of military personnel must be given; Article 8 - allows for jurisdiction over observers and scientists by their own states; Article 9 - frequent consultative meetings take place among member nations; Article 10 - treaty states will discourage activities by any country in Antarctica that are contrary to the treaty; Article 11 - disputes to be settled peacefully by the parties concerned or, ultimately, by the ICJ; Articles 12, 13, 14 - deal with upholding, interpreting, and amending the treaty among involved nations; other agreements - some 200 recommendations adopted at treaty consultative meetings and ratified by governments include - Agreed Measures for Fauna and Flora (1964) which were later incorporated into the Environmental Protocol; Convention for the Conservation of Antarctic Seals (1972); Convention on the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (1980); a mineral resources agreement was signed in 1988 but remains unratified; the Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty was signed 4 October 1991 and entered into force 14 January 1998; this agreement provides for the protection of the Antarctic environment through five specific annexes: 1) environmental impact assessment, 2) conservation of Antarctic fauna and flora, 3) waste disposal and waste management, 4) prevention of marine pollution, and 5) area protection and management; it prohibits all activities relating to mineral resources except scientific research
+Quote Post
Christy
post Sep 9th 2004, 5:04 AM
Post #11

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,098

i wouldn't have thought Australia would be that important
+Quote Post
Ritchmeister
post Sep 9th 2004, 5:49 AM
Post #12

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Lets not forget the Antartic Treaty referenced exists in real life. Australia is a signator to that treaty because of its location. Lets not also forgets the explosions and combat of the scale that we say bethween the Goa'ul and the Air Force would be rather hard to hide from the countries that have outpost on Antartica and from counties close to there such as Australia and New Zealand, South Africa, Argentina and Chile.

+Quote Post
Ritchmeister
post Sep 9th 2004, 5:51 AM
Post #13

Airman First Class
Group Icon

sorry for all the spelling mistakes, its late for me...been up since 3pm yesterday
+Quote Post
Nemonack
post Sep 9th 2004, 6:33 AM
Post #14

Chief Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 892

QUOTE (Ritchmeister @ Aug 10th 2004, 10:52 PM)

These countries may be but have not been confirmed yet:
Saudi Arabia, Argentina, Honduras, Poland, Nigeria

Countries providing military:
United States, Spain, Russia, South Africa, Japan

Actualy, England is not represented - by the treaty or on the Atlantis team. Britain is represented as a whole: the inconcistancy being that most British members of the expedition were seen with British flags on their shoulders, while Carson Beckett was seen with the Scottish flag. Scotland is not represented seperatley to England, and certainly not to Britain, as they are one and the same thing. Somebody on the Stargate crew didn't check their countries before writing it.

Either England and Scotland would be represented individualy, or both represented as Britain, so seperate shoulder flags is inconsistant, and as it happens, Britain rather than England + Scotland are represented by the treaty.

Either this, or Beckett was given special dispensation to wear a Scottish flag, even though he is a British team member. This I doubt highly though.
+Quote Post
Ritchmeister
post Sep 11th 2004, 12:40 AM
Post #15

Airman First Class
Group Icon

This was discussed at another post site. Scotland has an sei-independent identity within Great Britian. Thought they are not independent like Ireland is, they are granted great liberites. Severall referendems for Scottish independence have failed but not by many votes. It is only a matter of time.

The writers and producers are mostly Canadians, so I'm sure they know what position Scotland has in the Commonwealth.
+Quote Post
Christy
post Sep 12th 2004, 5:02 PM
Post #16

Captain
Group Icon

Has anyone seen any Australian flags?

Why would Canadians view England/Scotland and Britain differently?
+Quote Post
Ritchmeister
post Sep 14th 2004, 5:49 AM
Post #17

Airman First Class
Group Icon

Christy - there are Aussies.

England and Scotland are different countries, however the were joine bach the 1707 Act of Union.

Recently referendums in Scotland and Wales have been voted upon for independence, like Ireland.

I think Becketts wearing of the Scottish flag is to show he is in favor of Scottish independence

+Quote Post
LoneWolf84
post Sep 14th 2004, 4:26 PM
Post #18

Local Werewolf
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,586

Anyone know if there are any Isrealies? Just seems unlikely the would be left outta the loop since we have such a great millitary relationship with them.
+Quote Post
Christy
post Sep 14th 2004, 5:10 PM
Post #19

Captain
Group Icon

well..what about afganistan?

i think Atlantis needs to let us take a look at all the people there...i want to see different people as well as the Atlantis crew!
+Quote Post
ramz
post Sep 20th 2004, 9:49 AM
Post #20

Senior Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,393

QUOTE (Ritchmeister @ Aug 10th 2004, 10:52 PM)
United States, Canada, Scotland, Germany, Spain, England, Russia, Australia, Phillipines, Korea, Belgium, Sweden, Czech Republic, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Japan.

Just wanted to try out the flag, haven't seen it before... biggrin.gif

sweden.gif
+Quote Post
ampz
post Sep 20th 2004, 1:16 PM
Post #21

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,990

Sweden!
sweden.gif

I wanna see that Swedish girl in some episode.
Are there more swedish people than that blonde sci. in episode 1?
+Quote Post
Ritchmeister
post Sep 22nd 2004, 12:19 AM
Post #22

Airman First Class
Group Icon

I have seen only her. If you have the Pilot taped, watch. When they open the worm hole to Atlantis they show her looking up at it. Also when the civilians enter Atlantis she is amoung the first ones to come through the gate.
+Quote Post
LoneWolf84
post Sep 22nd 2004, 1:04 AM
Post #23

Local Werewolf
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,586

There actually have been a couple new flags added...I talked to Arcady about them. south_africa.gif sweden.gif ireland.gif (South Africa, Sweden and Ireland!!) Figured we had a few users from these countries, better represent!

I too would love to see a Swede at Atlantis! They have a great accent! Be like a counter part to Beckett. They need to make her role better!! Kill Weir, put the Swede in charge!! Is she a scientist?
+Quote Post
Tashunka_Witko
post Sep 22nd 2004, 4:41 AM
Post #24

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,824

QUOTE (Christy @ Sep 15th 2004, 12:10 AM)
well..what about afganistan?

i think Atlantis needs to let us take a look at all the people there...i want to see different people as well as the Atlantis crew!

I don't think that's a good idea...I'd always expect them to crawl out of Earth holes full body packed with C4... ph34r.gif

It's nice to have a lot of people from different races and countries there but there shouldn't be any countries that are fighting a war because they have/had a dictatorship. No Iraq please...
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 23rd 2014 - 5:04 PM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.