Invisible Painting
post Nov 13th 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #73

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,819

QUOTE(Hal 9000i @ Nov 13th 2007, 7:42 PM) *

Someone high up in the show decided that the Carson character wasn't working out. Regardless of when JS was actually hired, I don't think the intention was to replace PM with another middle aged guy with an expanding waistline, cute accent not withstanding (and also keep the new character's participation at the same level as PM).

Nor do I believe it was done just on some random impulse to have a new character introduced. It was done for a very specific reason. I've speculated on this in earlier threads. I'm not saying I'm right and know for sure, but it seems to me the most logical explanation.

As for the Keller character being too much a damsel in distress: again, it might have been overkill, but I believe it was done for a reason.

She's the new kid on the block and not experienced-- she's not a warrior. She's raw, untested, but has the ability to grow.

My take is that they had her do all the whining, damsel in distress stuff to set the parameters of her character-- to establish a bench mark where future growth and changes could be measured. However, that's just my speculation.

And as I mentioned in a previous thread, I really think it grates on people to show a young, attractive woman whose not portrayed as a strong, kick ass warrior. If you've come of age watching these type of shows for the last 10 years, the Keller portrayal just hits you the wrong way. It's not politically correct.

Consider: If Keller was a 50 year old woman with gray hair and wrinkles who looked like someone's mom, you would expect and buy in to the fact that she would probably whine and not be able to handle herself in that situation.

Also consider: If it were Zelenka with Teyla doing the whining, you'd probably buy in to it with no problem. He'd just be some doofus guy who needed a strong woman around to keep him out of trouble. That's a scenario that you're used to seeing.

No, if Zelenka was in that situation I'd be just as annoyed, because he's proved himself as a good and strong character, my problem here was that Keller's entire role was the "help me, Help me, I need saving" the whole episode, it didn't fit right and just reduced her to the damsel in distress. THAT was my problem with her here, if they had filled her role with a 50 year old woman I would have been even more pi$$ed off with them since how prejudiced they were being. I have no pre-conceptions as to what someone of Jewel Staites apprearance should be doing, but being the damsel in distress just seemed insulting towards a character they're supposed to be developing.

This post has been edited by Invisible Painting: Nov 13th 2007, 11:18 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
seymour
post Nov 14th 2007, 12:58 AM
Post #74

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,394

QUOTE(Hal 9000i @ Nov 13th 2007, 2:42 PM) *

Consider: If Keller was a 50 year old woman with gray hair and wrinkles who looked like someone's mom, you would expect and buy in to the fact that she would probably whine and not be able to handle herself in that situation.

QUOTE(Revan @ Nov 13th 2007, 10:06 PM) *

Hal, are you prejudiced against 50-year-old women?
While an older person would tend to be more prone to damage, I don't think they would be more likely to whine...

I don't think anyone would ever have suggested that the gray-haired, over 50 Colonel (and subsequent General) O'Neill would "..whine and not be able to handle HIMSELF in that situation..." Though he did go on a bit about those knees..........
The new Head of Medicine in another Galaxy would most certainly need to be over 40 if not 50 to have acquired the experience to even gain a job interview!

.......Whether you go to a film, admire a book cover, take a seat in Congress or just walk down the street in New York City, you are certain to be awed by the unique beauty of women over 50. Women with transcendental qualities, the women we long to see more of in film, in politics, and beyond......Wisdom, character. These are the new aesthetic criteria for beauty. The vapid, vacuous images of Paris Hilton, Brittany Spears and others are no longer just annoying, they are profoundly disturbing........

+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 14th 2007, 1:06 AM
Post #75

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,251

QUOTE(seymour @ Nov 14th 2007, 12:58 AM) *

The new Head of Medicine in another Galaxy would most certainly need to be over 40 if not 50 to have acquired the experience to even gain a job interview!

I am 25, and I have colleagues that are in there 50s and 60s. I am more capable at our jobs then almost every one of them. Actually, I cant think of one of them that is more capable than me.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Nov 14th 2007, 8:19 AM
Post #76

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(seymour @ Nov 14th 2007, 5:58 AM) *

I don't think anyone would ever have suggested that the gray-haired, over 50 Colonel (and subsequent General) O'Neill would "..whine and not be able to handle HIMSELF in that situation..." Though he did go on a bit about those knees..........

Plus she was only promoted there due to the untimely demise of Carson, they looked at who they had and went with her. But she proved herself in First Strike and Adrift, there hasn't really been a medicial situation she hasn't been able to handle well. We also don't know her background she may have had leadership experience somewhere on Earth, she was chosen to go to Atlantis in the first place because of her abilities. And they followed that up having her take over from Carson.
+Quote Post
seymour
post Nov 14th 2007, 11:23 AM
Post #77

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Nov 14th 2007, 1:06 AM) *

I am 25, and I have colleagues that are in there 50s and 60s. I am more capable at our jobs then almost every one of them. Actually, I cant think of one of them that is more capable than me.

ROTFLOL
MMmmmmm some unresolved issues with mature women in the workplace!
Don't worry, TPTB have your demographic as their priority.
P.S.
Ask some of your more "experienced" colleagues to edit your work.
"in THEIR 50s and 60s" not "in THERE 50s and 60s"
"I CAN'T think" not "i CANT think"
"WHO is more capable" not "THAT is more capable"

Enough said.

QUOTE(Invisible Painting @ Nov 14th 2007, 8:19 AM) *

Plus she was only promoted there due to the untimely demise of Carson, they looked at who they had and went with her. But she proved herself in First Strike and Adrift, there hasn't really been a medicial situation she hasn't been able to handle well. We also don't know her background she may have had leadership experience somewhere on Earth, she was chosen to go to Atlantis in the first place because of her abilities. And they followed that up having her take over from Carson.

As one of Keller's strongest critics, I must admit I enjoyed her in this episode!

I liked that she admitted she was out of her area of expertise and that Teyla was the "expert" in their situation.

She acknowledged the trust Carson had earned from Teyla's people and knew she would have to work hard to build their trust in her.

JS's delivery of Keller's line telling Nabel she "needed something to heal" before shooting him has come close to winning me over.
+Quote Post
KillerMarv
post Nov 14th 2007, 12:23 PM
Post #78

Major General
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,622

I guess it all depends on the line of work. Technology for instance is a line of work in which 'the young' have much more experience than 'the old', only because 'the old' have received education with older technology and, at today's levels of evolution, they can't keep up. 'The young' are "fresh" with all the details.

When it comes to medicine however, I doubt the young have more experience. Seymour is quite right in this case. It takes a lot of time spent practicing your line of work to acquire the "hand" needed.

Legend:

'The old' is a relative term. It doesn't necessarily mean they have to be over 50.
'The young' is also a relative term. It doesn't necessarily mean they have to be under 30.
I would prefer to call them newbies and oldies... whistling.gif
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 14th 2007, 1:36 PM
Post #79

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(seymour @ Nov 14th 2007, 11:23 AM) *

ROTFLOL
MMmmmmm some unresolved issues with mature women in the workplace!
Don't worry, TPTB have your demographic as their priority.
P.S.
Ask some of your more "experienced" colleagues to edit your work.
"in THEIR 50s and 60s" not "in THERE 50s and 60s"
"I CAN'T think" not "i CANT think"
"WHO is more capable" not "THAT is more capable"

In my haste, I did make some mistakes in that post, my brain tends to process thoughts faster than my fingers can type them. P~ I used there incorrectly. As far as leaving out an apostrophe... I did it consciously because I didn't feel that it was to the detriment of my post. I will use it from now on for your benefit. "THAT" is an an acceptable word in that sentence, because it is a pronoun. Just like who.

that /ðæt; unstressed ðət/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[that; unstressed thuht] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation pronoun and adjective, plural those; adverb; conjunction
–pronoun 1. (used to indicate a person, thing, idea, state, event, time, remark, etc., as pointed out or present, mentioned before, supposed to be understood, or by way of emphasis):

Since I mentioned before that I was talking about my older coworkers, it was supposed to be understood by the readers. I was well within my rights to use that term.

It would behoove you to read previous posts around the forum and recognize the pattern of a person's posts before you try to correct them so demonstratively, you might find that their knowledge of the English language surpasses most others... especially when they have shown a propensity to demonstrate that on a regular basis. Also, when the person has a habit of noticing their own mistakes and correcting them later with apologies because they are usually posting under time constraints.

As far as "enough said"... You have no idea what I do for my company. The fact that I make one typo here does not prove that any other individual at my office is capable of doing my job better than I am. Also, you don't know the individuals. That is completly fallacious reasoning, and is laughable.

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Nov 14th 2007, 12:23 PM) *

I guess it all depends on the line of work. Technology for instance is a line of work in which 'the young' have much more experience than 'the old', only because 'the old' have received education with older technology and, at today's levels of evolution, they can't keep up. 'The young' are "fresh" with all the details.

When it comes to medicine however, I doubt the young have more experience. Seymour is quite right in this case. It takes a lot of time spent practicing your line of work to acquire the "hand" needed.

More experience does not always translate into better at doing a particular job.

If I were choosing a doctor for a surgical procedure, I would always choose a someone with a 75% success rate after 100 surgeries, than someone with a 45% success rate after 500 surgeries. Quality is better than quantity when you are talking about physicians IMO.

This post has been edited by JTMAG1: Nov 14th 2007, 1:45 PM
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Nov 14th 2007, 3:17 PM
Post #80

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 745

QUOTE(Hal 9000i @ Nov 13th 2007, 9:42 PM) *

Someone high up in the show decided that the Carson character wasn't working out. Regardless of when JS was actually hired, I don't think the intention was to replace PM with another middle aged guy with an expanding waistline, cute accent not withstanding (and also keep the new character's participation at the same level as PM).

Actually, everyone high up in the show thought the Beckett character was working extremely well.

And then they got very big hints from SciFi that if they want to see SGA getting another season, things need to be "shaken up", apparently.
+Quote Post
seymour
post Nov 14th 2007, 3:25 PM
Post #81

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(KillerMarv @ Nov 14th 2007, 12:23 PM) *

Legend:

'The old' is a relative term. It doesn't necessarily mean they have to be over 50.
'The young' is also a relative term. It doesn't necessarily mean they have to be under 30.
I would prefer to call them newbies and oldies... whistling.gif

You make a lot of sense.

Particularly with technology, the "young" certainly have a better "knowledge base" of the field. However, in my experience successful people work well with their colleagues/co-workers/team mates - whether or not they share the same knowledge base.

I liked Keller’s acknowledgement that her job requires more than just a medical knowledge base. She knew that she needed to gain the confidence and trust of her patients- she knew that Carson was an experienced bedside physician.

When hiring, I look for someone who is eager and able to learn, someone who won't alienate valuable colleagues, and someone who works well in a team. These skills don't depend on age and are independent of any "knowledge base".

After this episode, I am feeling much more positive about Keller and the rest of the season –BUT my pet theory had been that Michael was the father of Teyla’s baby! So wrong. [ep 319 Vengeance]
+Quote Post
Sylver
post Nov 14th 2007, 3:35 PM
Post #82

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,115

QUOTE(Athena @ Nov 12th 2007, 11:53 AM) *

I totally missed the Bolachi eating a lollipop. I'll have to watch the episode again.

[Have had a terrible time logging on, anyone else have this problem?]

The lollipop was one of the best parts to the ep! Big bad cannibal eating a lollipop, hehe. OK, and Rodney's arrow comment. But I have to agree with everyone who said the baddies (how do you spell that?) sudden disappearance seemed off at the end.

I'm a Teyla fan, I wanted her to have more character, more emotion, more to do, more interaction, just MORE! I didn't want her to end up with a stupid (albeit now necessary) plot about pregnancy and the father missing or dead. There were thousands of ways to go about it better, or at least a good dozen that would've made the unnecessary Athosian storyline (truthfully, I'd forgotten about them) even more so.

What I did like about the episode was Teyla's rage. I have to disagree with it being out of character, since they were her tribe, all she had left. Sure, she has her human friends now, but the Athosians are her, for lack of a better phrase. She led them for years, and still helps them and obviously cares for them. They were wiped out (or taken, whatever) she has ever right to have as much rage as she can handle, especially since she thought they'd be safer at this new planet than on Lantean.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Nov 14th 2007, 4:00 PM
Post #83

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(seymour @ Nov 14th 2007, 8:25 PM) *

After this episode, I am feeling much more positive about Keller and the rest of the season –BUT my pet theory had been that Michael was the father of Teyla’s baby! So wrong. [ep 319 Vengeance]

Well I'm hoping so, if it turns out it was just the guy she was talking abouts baby I will be really dissapointed. I'm hoping it is somehow Wraith related, and have been ever since I heard she'd get pregnant. Although it may be difficult for that to be the case with Michaels encounted being the only real time something like that could have happened.
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Nov 14th 2007, 8:07 PM
Post #84

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

QUOTE(Pitry @ Nov 14th 2007, 3:17 PM) *

Actually, everyone high up in the show thought the Beckett character was working extremely well.

And then they got very big hints from SciFi that if they want to see SGA getting another season, things need to be "shaken up", apparently.

Yes Beckett was working out so well that from a recurring character in season 1, he became part of the original cast, with his name in the opening credits. Beckett was well liked by most fans, if not all. That is why M & M did what they did. They were shaking things up. Killing off a beloved character. Well guess what, it didn't work. As I said when this happened, I know of fans that have stopped watching because of the whole Beckett thing. At the same time, I don't know of anyone that tuned in to see his death and has stayed with the show.
+Quote Post
seymour
post Nov 14th 2007, 8:21 PM
Post #85

Technical Sergeant
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sylver @ Nov 14th 2007, 3:35 PM) *

.................What I did like about the episode was Teyla's rage. I have to disagree with it being out of character, since they were her tribe, all she had left. Sure, she has her human friends now, but the Athosians are her, for lack of a better phrase. She led them for years, and still helps them and obviously cares for them. They were wiped out (or taken, whatever) she has ever right to have as much rage as she can handle, especially since she thought they'd be safer at this new planet than on Lantean......

Totally agree.
Also, it was good to see Teyla's leadership skills. Up until now, we haven't see Teyla function as an effective leader. I had wondered how her character came to lead the Athosians. Now I know.

This post has been edited by seymour: Nov 14th 2007, 8:22 PM
+Quote Post
Dave312
post Nov 14th 2007, 9:11 PM
Post #86

Senior Master Sergeant
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,343

QUOTE(Sylver @ Nov 15th 2007, 7:35 AM) *

What I did like about the episode was Teyla's rage. I have to disagree with it being out of character, since they were her tribe, all she had left. Sure, she has her human friends now, but the Athosians are her, for lack of a better phrase. She led them for years, and still helps them and obviously cares for them. They were wiped out (or taken, whatever) she has ever right to have as much rage as she can handle, especially since she thought they'd be safer at this new planet than on Lantean.

Also remember her 'partner' was Athosian and missing as well. Anyone who has a missing loved one could not say they wouldn't be extremely frustrated. Although I found her rage very different for her, it is quite plausible for her to have this attitude.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Nov 14th 2007, 9:26 PM
Post #87

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dave312 @ Nov 15th 2007, 2:11 AM) *

Also remember her 'partner' was Athosian and missing as well. Anyone who has a missing loved one could not say they wouldn't be extremely frustrated. Although I found her rage very different for her, it is quite plausible for her to have this attitude.

Well we don't know much about Teyla at all, other then she fights with sticks, her favorite words are "My people" and that she's really nice....apparently. I mean for all we know she's a closet furrie (sorry that recent thread put it on my mind biggrin.gif) who likes acts of sadism whilst tieing people up and spanking them hard all night long, so her being pissed off when her people were kidnapped isn't that far a stretch of the imagination. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Hal 9000i
post Nov 14th 2007, 11:21 PM
Post #88

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,894

QUOTE(IndyJan @ Nov 14th 2007, 7:07 PM) *

Yes Beckett was working out so well that from a recurring character in season 1, he became part of the original cast, with his name in the opening credits. Beckett was well liked by most fans, if not all. That is why M & M did what they did. They were shaking things up. Killing off a beloved character. Well guess what, it didn't work. As I said when this happened, I know of fans that have stopped watching because of the whole Beckett thing. At the same time, I don't know of anyone that tuned in to see his death and has stayed with the show.

So TPTB on the show were bored one day and suddenly decided to "shake things up"? So they decided to kill off of a supposedly beloved character on a whim? what, for ratings? Because everyone knows this kind of thing has worked so well in the past on other shows. LOL.

Let's face it-- a stunt like your supposing is done in the last season or so-- a last ditch effort to save a dying show. You don't monkey around with a stable show in its prime like that.

As to the other theory mentioned in the thread about the decision being made by the SCi-Fi channel people: Not buying that one, either.

The Sci-Fi channel has just had a huge success with their shows, haven't they? SG1 off the air. Battlestar Galactica terminated after only 4 seasons. Dresdon Files axed. Pain Killer Jane MIA. And Flash Gordon? Maybe we shouldn't go there.

I could go on but I hope you see my point.

SG: Atlantis is one of the few shows they have that's a going concern. So in light of all that the execs issue their marching orders to the SGA head office: shake things up or else. Makes sense to me.

And OK-- let's say someone on either side said "let's shake thing up". What do you suppose they meant be that? If that's what really went down then someone had a long term plan. They got rid of PM and brought in JS. Why do you think that choice was made? any idea? any idea at all?

Hal
+Quote Post
IndyJan
post Nov 14th 2007, 11:37 PM
Post #89

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

Group: Donating Members
Member No.: 5,622

What some of us have stated about PM is true. M & M made statements about it after Sunday aired. PM did not want to go. He was called into the office and told, we are killing you off to shake things up. This is something they did on SG1 at the end of season 7. They killed off that doc also, Frasier. That one, while we were upset we could understand because they thought the show was being cancelled. They wanted to go out with a bang. For SGA, that wasn't the case. You would have thought that they would have learned from their mistakes, but obviously, they didn't.

In fact the uproad bout PM's death was so strong that Malozzie said if the fans screamed loud enough they would bring PM back.

During Season 4,
» Click to Show Spoiler «
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 15th 2007, 1:30 AM
Post #90

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

QUOTE(Hal 9000i @ Nov 14th 2007, 11:21 PM) *

What you said...

Hal

TPTB have explained very plainly that Pitry and IndyJan were correct. They did this before with Fraiser when they thought the series was ending. It's not relaly up for debate.
+Quote Post
Hal 9000i
post Nov 15th 2007, 3:57 AM
Post #91

Civilian
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,894

QUOTE(JTMAG1 @ Nov 15th 2007, 12:30 AM) *

TPTB have explained very plainly that Pitry and IndyJan were correct. They did this before with Fraiser when they thought the series was ending. It's not relaly up for debate.

And I'm not really debating it per se.

Obviously it was done.

Although there still seems to be questions about where the changes was directed from-- internally from Atlantis head honchos or directed by the Sci Fi execs.

You look at posts and interviews on the net and there's a lot of generalized talk (and doublet alk) about the cast changes but very little on the WHY-- and almost no in depth examination of the new character choices that were ultimately made.

I mean you can talk about someone wanting to "shake things up" until the cows come home but it still doesn't give you the why.

Hey, maybe I missed the big interview or post. It happens.

Is there any interview with TPTB from Atlantis where the $64,000 question is asked point blank-- as in "Tell me, why did you decide to make these changes?"

If anyone can help me out, please post the link.

Hal
+Quote Post
JTMAG1
post Nov 15th 2007, 4:11 AM
Post #92

The Last Shogun
Group Icon

I don't have time to look for an example for you, but I will say that in the entertainment industry... to "Shake things up" is typically good enough reason to justify dramatic changes. Often times there isn't a real concrete logical reason why things are done.
+Quote Post
Invisible Painting
post Nov 15th 2007, 9:01 AM
Post #93

Lieutenant General
Group Icon

To put this simple, the SG execs got very comfortable in their jobs, they thought they were going to be doing both shows for years to come. They almost got complacent with it, then when SG-1 was cancelled it shook things up, made them realise that everything ISN'T so stable. That they're not guaranteed to survive, I think they wanted to shake things up to make the fans feel that way as well, as in everything is not comfortable you shouldn't presume it either. I think this was the main reason, as the call to take out Beckett was confirmed to be after SG-1 was cancelled. Basically to let the audience know everything's not safe.

The decision to write out Beckett I do not agree with, but their thoughts that something could have been done I DO agree with, I just feel they took the wrong option in this case. But that is basically the reason.
+Quote Post
Sylver
post Nov 15th 2007, 9:41 AM
Post #94

Airman
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,115

QUOTE(Hal 9000i @ Nov 15th 2007, 12:21 AM) *

The Sci-Fi channel has just had a huge success with their shows, haven't they? SG1 off the air. Battlestar Galactica terminated after only 4 seasons. Dresdon Files axed. Pain Killer Jane MIA. And Flash Gordon? Maybe we shouldn't go there.

BG did it to themselves with a truly horrible S3. But Dresden Files was axed? Damn. Scifi Friday just isn't what it used to be.
+Quote Post
Revan
post Nov 15th 2007, 11:50 AM
Post #95

Dark Lord of The Sith
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11,056

QUOTE(Sylver @ Nov 15th 2007, 9:41 AM) *

BG did it to themselves with a truly horrible S3. But Dresden Files was axed? Damn. Scifi Friday just isn't what it used to be.

BSG always had a predetermined run-length because TPTB wanted the story to unfold in a particular way. Season 3 was great.

This episode was basically a series of unfortunate events for Teyla and Keller that turned out to be convenient for story development.
+Quote Post
Pitry
post Nov 15th 2007, 12:47 PM
Post #96

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 745

QUOTE(Hal 9000i @ Nov 15th 2007, 6:21 AM) *

So TPTB on the show were bored one day and suddenly decided to "shake things up"? So they decided to kill off of a supposedly beloved character on a whim? what, for ratings? Because everyone knows this kind of thing has worked so well in the past on other shows. LOL.

You're not actually reading what;s being written here, are you?
As I've already said, from what could be gathered between Paul McGillion's commetns and Joe MAllozzi's comments, SciFi gave quite big hints that Atlantis will not see a fourth seaoson if things aren't beign seriuosly shaken up. So TPTB (BTW, showrunner at the time was Brad Wright, not M&M) sat with those hints and whatever it was the subtext said - and it probably did have something in the spirit of "make it darker BSG-like" - and decided to kill a well beloved character.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 1st 2014 - 1:43 AM
Stargate Information Archive

Stargate SG-1 © 1997-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Stargate Atlantis © 2004-2013 MGM Worldwide Television, Inc.
Text and images from this site may not be used without permission.

All comments on these pages belong to the author of those comments, and
do not necessarily reflect the views of the Stargate Information Archive.